Greg Orders Texas National Guard To Seize Park in Eagle Pass, Bars Border Patrol/CBP

atomheartbevo

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Dude, what? I've only been an observer on this one, but the guy came in with cherry-picked snippets from an absolute garbage source, refused to answer what he thinks the DHS or administration actually lied about, then moved the goalposts to the "media narrative". When confronted, he fell back on the tried and true "echo chamber not allowing other perspectives" trope. Saying he just has a "differering opinion" gives his approach way more merit than it deserves. I'm not saying he was trolling, but he sure wasn't making an attempt to argue in good faith.

It's what all the CR critics do.

The initial attempt may have been made to argue in good faith, but their media sources are always absolute shit.

Erstwhile CR posters "do their own research" and within a matter of minutes have debunked the basic point of argument, or at the very least the most outrageous aspects of it, e.g. Biden lied.

It's not trolling, per se, but it is a strident argument, followed by a pantsing, followed by mumbling and departure of the poster.

It's amazing how that pattern works.

Nonetheless, I don't really love calling it trolling or attempting to crowd source the poster.  People come on the sports boards with ill-founded hot takes all the time, get pantsed, maybe catch a few negs, and that's it.  The pantsing is sufficient.

• Like 1

You guys are being outrageous. Stop. This is why people think CR is toxic. You are being toxic to me by simply telling you to leave it and move on, I read the last 3 pages and it consisted of mainly a dogpile on a single poster. Cut it the fuck out. 

• Fuck You 4

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

You guys are being outrageous. Stop. This is why people think CR is toxic. You are being toxic to me by simply telling you to leave it and move on, I read the last 3 pages and it consisted of mainly a dogpile on a single poster. Cut it the fuck out. 

Schitts Creek Ok GIF by CBC

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

Just now, hookemATL said:

Posters get ripped on for their shit opinions and brainworm drivel all over this fucking board.  In big time train wreck offshoots in threads where a particularly chucklefucky poster decides to die on Idiot Hill, they are reamed to oblivion with gifs/retorts/internet bitchslaps. 

They are often swarmed, mocked, negged heavily. Yet somehow it’s different in this particular sub forum. 

an ignorant cunt is an ignorant cunt and should be shamed in football, basketball, daily texan, etc. 

im pretty sure I always tell people not to fucking do this on every thread on any board. Taking shots isn’t the problem when the whole thread turns into a dogpile for multiple pages (see derka) we always get involved and tell people to use the ignore button and move on. That’s consistent everywhere on the board. 

I threw in the bit about knowing longhornlove irl so you guys would maybe snap out of it and remember that there’s a real fucking person on the other side of the computer. 

I’m not defending shit as a position I’m just telling all of you that you aren’t the fucking moderators of truth or the god damned board. I am the moderator of the board and I told you to move on and now you are shitting on me for being inconsistent? That’s actually the definition of toxic behavior. Stop. Being. Toxic. 

• Fuck You 1

Reporter James Bickerson (Newsweek) has been reporting from Eagle Pass and he had a short item about the Texas State Police have been arresting migrants (charging with criminal trespass) and detaining them. Someone who follows immigration law closely please chime in--wasn't this an issue before--by charging with a state offense it creates a migrant with a criminal record and therefore cause for inadmissibility to this country in the future? (Source for original article here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/greg-abbott-defies-joe-biden-as-texas-begins-arresting-migrants/ar-AA1nbeZV)   Also: Texas DPS spokesperson's twitter account confirms with statement and video of arrests and detention. $$ flowing back into their pockets after they got their budget cut by $160 million...

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Bc that’s his friend 

You realize how incredibly toxic this reply is? 

he is not my friend. I know this actual person in real life. That’s it. I explained the mention in another post. 

This is exactly what I’m talking about on the toxicity. I’m not doing a JAQ bit or a hey leave him alone he’s my friend bullshit move by a mod. I’m telling people to move on instead of dogpile and become toxic. 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, YGIFS said:

I used to wander into rooms and insist my completely baseless opinion warranted validation and respect.  I still do it but I used to, too.  /RIPhedberg

It was a 3 page dogpile. It wasn’t a rejection and I didn’t say validate anything. You all need to stop. 

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

It was a 3 page dogpile. It wasn’t a rejection and I didn’t say validate anything. You all need to stop. 

I'm sure it was dude, I didn't read most of it.  Just goofing around so I could commandeer a Mitch Hedberg bit.  

But it's a valid point, there are real people on the other side of everything.  I've had my real name and even my wife's posted on here because of politics and the shit ain't funny.  Some shitheap even followed me home from a shaggy HH about 10-12 years ago.  CR has changed for better or worse.  That's just the nature of the beast these days I suppose.  Maybe there's a way to monetize it, who knows?  We've certainly monetized worse shit in this country the last few years.  Gary Coleman could host!  

Edited by YGIFS

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Truth doesn't need a moderator. It exists. If pointing it out is considered toxic, then you are correct, we are toxic. 

I didn’t say anything about the truth I said the board because I specifically and emphatically believe the same thing. I talked about the board and position as a moderator which I am. I’m not moderating truth. I’m moderating the fucking board from being toxic. 

• Fuck You 1

I don't think it's really much more toxic than the other boards where people get piled on for hot takes.  I mean, we are assholes after all.

One difference is that sports takes are almost uniformly trivial.

These poorly informed political takes are less trivial, particularly the poor information that underlies them.

Also, the hot takes stand out more in this forum than in others and aren't diluted by a bunch of other hot takes, good and bad.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't think it's really much more toxic than the other boards where people get piled on for hot takes.  I mean, we are assholes after all.

These poorly informed political takes are less trivial, particularly the poor information that underlies them.

Also, the hot takes stand out more in this forum than in others and aren't diluted by a bunch of other hot takes, good and bad.

Correct. Diluted it’s a bit more tolerable and easier to wade through. Some people read this thread to follow the situation not to see someone ripped to shreds and crucified. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Taylor Swift's impact on a potential KC Chief's playoff win is NOT trivial. (Not to mention, the League ought to be thanking her because she's brought more eyeballs to their product by a demo that spends $$).

8 hours ago, immamac said:

I know longhornlove IRL and you guys are really off base here over a differing opinion. Stop being part of outrage dogpile culture. Disagree and move on. 

Differing opinion? Thats what you’re pretending this is? He’s a big boy I think he will be ok.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I used to wander into rooms and insist my completely baseless opinion warranted validation and respect.  I still do it but I used to, too.  /RIPhedberg

You should check out this 1990s tutorial on dealing with negative comments.

Its NSFW because he has negative/toxic examples.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

10 minutes ago, miguelito said:

I think we can all agree that Britney Spears' video "Toxic" was pretty hot.

I *loved that song. Have you read her book published last year?

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
*that's just my opinion btw.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Is it efficient use of taxpayer money to bring millions of immigrants in our country and house them, feed them, educate them and pay for their health care?

If you know Jack dick fuck about demographic trends and how our economy works, YES.

19 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Yes.

Oh, so Cato is now legit source. Any other time Cato posts are shared here it's lol that's Cato. Disregard.

I also love how the first justification is we need fuel for the social security ponzi.

For all the people here who cry about big business, you sure do lap up the narrative they serve up that we (they) need more cheap labor.

• Fuck You 11

Our country does need more labor if employer and industry groups are lobbying legislatures to lower certain requirements for minors to assume dangerous jobs/work longer hours on school days. The "cheap" is something that is tossed around a lot but I believe (opinion!) that discussion is incredibly nuanced and not for this specific thread.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, Hal Finney said:

Oh, so Cato is now legit source. Any other time Cato posts are shared here it's lol that's Cato. Disregard.

I also love how the first justification is we need fuel for the social security ponzi.

For all the people here who cry about big business, you sure do lap up the narrative they serve up that we (they) need more cheap labor.

Fuck off, GRU.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

This is why people think CR is toxic. You are being toxic to me by simply telling you to leave it and move on, I read the last 3 pages and it consisted of mainly a dogpile on a single poster. Cut it the fuck out. 

I’m not defending shit as a position I’m just telling all of you that you aren’t the fucking moderators of truth or the god damned board. I am the moderator of the board and I told you to move on and now you are shitting on me for being inconsistent? That’s actually the definition of toxic behavior. Stop. Being. Toxic

You realize how incredibly toxic this reply is? 

he is not my friend. I know this actual person in real life. That’s it. I explained the mention in another post. 

This is exactly what I’m talking about on the toxicity. I’m not doing a JAQ bit or a hey leave him alone he’s my friend bullshit move by a mod. I’m telling people to move on instead of dogpile and become toxic

Same with this post. Toxic.

I didn’t say anything about the truth I said the board because I specifically and emphatically believe the same thing. I talked about the board and position as a moderator which I am. I’m not moderating truth. I’m moderating the fucking board from being toxic

I haven't been a part of this and agree that people like to dogpile, but what is the deal with using "toxic" over and over? It's like when you first learn a new word and try to inject it into a conversation so you'll remember it.

im pretty sure I always tell people not to fucking do this on every thread on any board. Taking shots isn’t the problem when the whole thread turns into a dogpile for multiple pages (see derka) we always get involved and tell people to use the ignore button and move on. That’s consistent everywhere on the board. 

I threw in the bit about knowing longhornlove irl so you guys would maybe snap out of it and remember that there’s a real fucking person on the other side of the computer. 

I’m not defending shit as a position I’m just telling all of you that you aren’t the fucking moderators of truth or the god damned board. I am the moderator of the board and I told you to move on and now you are shitting on me for being inconsistent? That’s actually the definition of toxic behavior. Stop. Being. Toxic. 

Longhornlove has made a bit of a habit out of coming in here to dunk on what he considers "groupthink" whenever he reads a headline from some shitty right-wing source that he thinks proves us all wrong about something.  He's consistently wrong because his sources are invariably misrepresenting the situation (and/or he's misreading them or simply not reading them) and when how he's wrong is immediately pointed out he refuses to acknowledge his mistake and plays victim.  It's lameass behavior and that's why he gets dunked on.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I *loved that song. Have you read her book published last year?

I have not read Britney's book.  I'm currently slogging through The Guns of August, so maybe Britney's book will be a natural follow-up.

Are there pictures in it?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, miguelito said:

I have not read Britney's book.  I'm currently slogging through The Guns of August, so maybe Britney's book will be a natural follow-up.

Are there pictures in it?

I don't know but probably. I'm waiting for the library's copy.

10 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Holy fucking shit.

"You guys shouldn't believe everything you read from biased sources. Here's a screenshot from The Right Scoop."

This is why the "dogpiling" was warranted. (I will add that I've seen much, much more extreme examples of "dogpiling" than this on this board and others. Some of those have gotten downright ugly, which this one didn't IMO.)

4 minutes ago, safe sex said:

So if I go into the football board, post some shit that is fabricated and/or grossly misrepresentative of a situation, mouth off about it, and then go running away while crying about how mean everyone is, then I can count on an admin to tell people to back off when I start getting called a stupid cunt or a dumb bitch or told to get my tits out of any of the other awful things that get thrown around about women in that toxic cesspool? I mean, I know I don't know any site admins irl, but I promise I'm a real person. 

That's exactly what the simulation told us you would say to prove you are not part of the simulation.  

I mean, l don't know anything about how to run a website, but I just kind of assumed it ran on toxicity.  

"TOXICITY:  It's got what Surlys crave!"  No?  

The plurality of the site doesn't like CR because they are unable to just post "Trump is the greatest President ever.  Abbott is the greatest Governor ever.  Biden has killed our country!"  And then not show their work and be hoisted.  And they get that in real life but not on here because there's too many smart, educated people on here.  I get it.  So either let's cut the forum out, make it some kinda extra-secret/monetized board, or everybody just shut the fuck up about it.  It hummed along just fine under Obama with robust discourse on all sides with proper data, even kinda under the first year or two of Trump.  But it's gone off the rails, we can all see it objectively.  Fine.  We're adults.  People need the feedback loop/echo chamber/etc.  It's human nature.  But just the incessant pouting on all other forums about the toxicity of CR is as exhaustive as one of my insomnia-laden long-form posts.  Every fucking thread on every other forum has somebody bitching and moaning about how the CR is too narrow and unfair.  Create a forum called "Snowflakes" for "real people on the other side of that handle" and let them just high-five baselessly about their heroes.  Lord knows the world needs 'em now more than ever.  Otherwise, we're just gonna be the Karen of UT boards.  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

That's exactly what the simulation told us you would say to prove you are not part of the simulation.  

I mean, l don't know anything about how to run a website, but I just kind of assumed it ran on toxicity.  

"TOXICITY:  It's got what Surlys crave!"  No?  

The plurality of the site doesn't like CR because they are unable to just post "Trump is the greatest President ever.  Abbott is the greatest Governor ever.  Biden has killed our country!"  And then not show their work and be hoisted.  And they get that in real life but not on here because there's too many smart, educated people on here.  I get it.  So either let's cut the forum out, make it some kinda extra-secret/monetized board, or everybody just shut the fuck up about it.  It hummed along just fine under Obama with robust discourse on all sides with proper data, even kinda under the first year or two of Trump.  But it's gone off the rails, we can all see it objectively.  Fine.  We're adults.  People need the feedback loop/echo chamber/etc.  It's human nature.  But just the incessant pouting on all other forums about the toxicity of CR is as exhaustive as one of my insomnia-laden long-form posts.  Every fucking thread on every other forum has somebody bitching and moaning about how the CR is too narrow and unfair.  Create a forum called "Snowflakes" for "real people on the other side of that handle" and let them just high-five baselessly about their heroes.  Lord knows the world needs 'em now more than ever.  Otherwise, we're just gonna be the Karen of UT boards.  

Buddy, tell me you don't remember the "[SERIOUS]" discourse wars without telling me you don't remember the "[SERIOUS]" discourse wars.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8