Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

LOL, Texas isn't going to fire him after 1 year

Charlie got 2 more years after 5-7
Sark is in his third year after starting 5-7
Shaka got 4 more years after 11-22

He will get at least 2 years. So accept it now

The current people weren't around for Charlie and had just come on board when Shaka did his Shaka business.

We'll see.

Say what you will about Mack Brown being upset with horns down but at least he had a valid explanation. Rodney Terry has "it's classless" as the excuse? Thanks a lot jackass now it's gonna be even worse for the next few games and years to come. 

• Hook 'Em 3

My only issue with the Horns down was always in the context of 2012 when Texas Tech did horns down the whole game and then Mike Davis did the guns down and got a 15 yard penalty. Just be consistent. If they can do Horns Down, let us do the same shit back.

But that is football. There is no foul for unsportsmanlike conduct in basketball and unless they start handing out Technical Fouls to Texas for being classless I don't really care.

Otherwise, look everybody is going to do Horns Down all the time when they play us. Even East Carolina. And beating them is not going to stop them from doing that. It just means "fuck Texas" and everybody else is going to do it all the time. So saying "if you don't like it, just win" is ridiculous. If you don't like it, don't coach or play for Texas because it is just what is going to happen.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Old(er) men often want to lecture people about manners. It's never a good look.

A coach should never lecture the players on the other team about their behavior. If you have a problem with them, talk to their coach.

Yes this was a Dawkins/RT convo.  Dont coach my players.  Though maybe Dawkins would’ve laughed 

My brief internet research seems to tell me that if Terry is fired after this year he would receive the second-largest coaching buyout ever for college basketball. Would only be behind Danny Manning at Wake Forest (almost $15 million in 2020). Archie Miller got $10.3 million in 2021 but I think Terry would be slightly above that.

• Prepare your anus 1

8 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Say what you will about Mack Brown being upset with horns down but at least he had a valid explanation. Rodney Terry has "it's classless" as the excuse? Thanks a lot jackass now it's gonna be even worse for the next few games and years to come. 

Big Fucking Deal.

It doesn’t take basketball coaches 3 years to turn around a program. You can’t use football as your example. You have to layer talent in football to be successful and you need 5-7 guys in basketball and can grab a few in the portal and be good. Our roster isn’t bad but that’s what the pumpers use then disregard all the guys RT brought in they were raving about that aren’t playing well now. 

The thing about Chris Beard was that if we ever got up by 10 points, it was game over. If we ever got to 50 points, it was also likely game over. Having an elite defense and a methodical slow paced, but efficient offense meant that a 10 point lead functioned more like a 20 point lead.

With this team, a 20 point lead feels more like a 5 point lead.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

His explanation is worse

what a loser mentality 

This pansy should be fired today.....

Need to send Anthony Hill in to go kick his ass

image.thumb.png.f0a79ea352f09282c28482f0b89f88dd.png

Edited by Pimphand
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

While I agree with the concept, there was no "egg-on-face drama." That's quite the anti-UT skewed view of the incident.

It was a bad look for us.  Beard in a jump suit.

33 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

My brief internet research seems to tell me that if Terry is fired after this year he would receive the second-largest coaching buyout ever for college basketball. Would only be behind Danny Manning at Wake Forest (almost $15 million in 2020). Archie Miller got $10.3 million in 2021 but I think Terry would be slightly above that.

After this year, he will have 4 years and 12 million left (15/3 contract).  His buyout is basically the remainder of his contract?

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

RT definitely lost me with those comments. Grow up and coach better and it won’t happen. 

There is no way tons of opponents weren't doing Horns Down all last year. Pretty sure I remember Miami doing it in the Elite 8 last year.

RT is losing his cool as his team is collapsing around him. My confidence this team gets any better is pretty low if this is where the coach is.

ha. went to a concert last night and didn't look until now on how the game went.

Holy shit.  another year maybe 2 of this?   next year the money will try to do what they did with Shaka by bringing in highly paid assistants to try to save the ship and say everything is gonna be great.

We should probably give CDC a pass though.  I mean who could have predicted this?

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

ha. went to a concert last night and didn't look until now on how the game went.

Holy shit.  another year maybe 2 of this?   next year the money will try to do what they did with Shaka by bringing in highly paid assistants to try to save the ship and say everything is gonna be great.

We should probably give CDC a pass though.  I mean who could have predicted this?

I don’t pin any of this on CDC 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

He gets a pass for hiring Terry but if we finish last he won't get one if he keeps him around. Especially if he starts blowing money on expensive assistants.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

First point is complete bullshit. 

The Beard saga absolutely sucked, but with a brand spanking new stadium and NIL situation, Texas could have hired a top candidate. 

Instead they succumbed to the pressure from outsiders. Costly lesson. Don't ever fucking do it again. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

First point in complete bullshit. 

The Beard saga absolutely sucked, but with a brand spanking new stadium and NIL situation, Texas could have hired a top candidate. 

Instead they succumbed to the pressure from outsiders. Costly lesson. Don't ever fucking do it again. 

they are going to continue to succumb to the pressures again.  Wouldn't be shocked if he gets at least 3 with assistants taking the fall this year and probably next.

• Hook 'Em 1

We should be used to this by now.

Year 1- new coach is terrible, can’t fire him because of the “3 year rule”

Year 2- rearrange the deck chairs on the titanic with new assistants to show support of you’re terrible hire

Year 3- buyout is gone and we fire him  when we knew in year 1 he should be fired.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

they are going to continue to succumb to the pressures again.  Wouldn't be shocked if he gets at least 3 with assistants taking the fall this year and probably next.

At least 3? With this year counting as year one? There will be 500 people in the stands by that point.

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

It’s tougher to attract high level assistants when they see the writing on the wall that their coach has 1 more year max before getting canned. I don’t see any way this doesn’t end up in RT being fired before April 2025

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

It’s tougher to attract high level assistants when they see the writing on the wall that their coach has 1 more year max before getting canned. I don’t see any way this doesn’t end up in RT being fired before April 2025

The optics of only giving Terry 2 years are going to be too much for our leaders.  they will succumb to the pressure, guaranteed.

57 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

5 years fully guaranteed is appallingly stupid 

13 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

There was no top candidate. If a Donovan had been available they probably would have done that. McCasland had a much better record than Coach Terry but that would have been a really bad look.

So CDC held his nose and did what he had to do.

Just now, UnhappilyMarried said:

5 years fully guaranteed is appallingly stupid 

I would encourage you to look around at the contracts being handed out nowadays.

5 years is the minimum and $3 million per is about the lowest you can go. He is the 8th highest paid coach in the Big 12.

As great as a 3 year $1.5 million deal sounds on a message board, these guys have agents. Schools do not have leverage nowadays. Asking a new coach to go recruit 2024/2025 prospects on a 3-year deal is cringeworthy. You aren't even giving yourself a chance.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

100% this. Rodney Terry would never have been considered for the position to begin with. He was just the next guy up.

Ask yourself, where does RT land if he gets fired by Texas after the season? What Power Five Conference school would leap to name RT their new head coach? 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm pretty sure the fan reaction to Chris Beard telling opposing players to cut it out would be different.

Then again, Chris Beard wouldn't blow a 16-point lead and lose by 6 at home to UCF.  Tomato, tomahto.

Didn’t Chris get into it with an ou fan?

18 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Year 2- rearrange the deck chairs on the titanic with new assistants to show support of you’re terrible hire

Year 3- buyout is gone and we fire him  when we knew in year 1 he should be fired.

Can we fly the school president and AD out to convince the reluctant potential assistants? That was such a good look for the football program.

7 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

Ask yourself, where does RT land if he gets fired by Texas after the season? What Power Five Conference school would leap to name RT their new head coach? 

UCF?  He's given that team more motivation than he's given ours.

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Didn’t Chris get into it with an ou fan?

Telling a Sooner piece of shit (yes I know department of redundancy department) where his station in life is not a big deal.  Being a bitch and lecturing opposing players then crying about it again postgame is unforgivable.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

That's partly because Texas fans usually demand all coaches be fired after year 1 for not meeting their expectations.  

Also, your.

21 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

The optics of only giving Terry 2 years are going to be too much for our leaders.  they will succumb to the pressure, guaranteed.

Yes, because Eltife will have to acknowledge he was wrong.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

So CDC held his nose and did what he had to do.

He didn't have to hire Rodney Terry. 

PR people are pretty clueless these days. We are assaulted with bad news every day in this modern world. They are so afraid of people getting offended. But everyone is so offended by everything these days, that a news cycle doesn't last nearly as long. 

I understand firing Beard. His indiscretions would linger for longer and be used against Texas in recruiting, etc. Clearly no one gives a fuck anymore with a fresh start at Ole Miss. 

Whatever "bad press" Texas would have received for not hiring Rodney Terry would have lasted only as long as the day a potential new coach would have been hired. And then the Terry story would have completely gone away. 

• Hook 'Em 3