2024 Presidential Election Thread

bolverk

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

midday show on the local NPR affiliate interviewing a couple of guys.  one said that joey b wasn't backing ukraine enough.  when it was pointed out that joey b asked for more support from congress, he complained that the republicans couldn't agree to it because of all the border stuff. 

i'm seriously shocked that more people haven't lost their eyes while trying to tie their shoelaces in the morning.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, GopherRock said:

Something about wishing in one hand, shitting in the other, and seeing which one gets full first. 

abbott brings a huge war chest. no other vp prospect can even come close 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

abbott brings a huge war chest. no other vp prospect can even come close 

Plus, he looks better next to him just by being ambulatory. Which may be more important now that his gait is altered. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Js1 said:

Voters will be reminded of Trump's chaos the second the race becomes 1v1 and people start paying attention in the summer.

GA - re-elected a Dem Senator in Biden's first midterm (should have been an auto pickup for the GOP) and Trump's meddling in the GA election absolutely has pissed off enough people.  Kemp won because he was anti-Trump.  State GOP is broke broke. 
AZ - elected a Dem governor, AG, SOS and Dem Senator in 2022.  State GOP is in shambles. 
WI - re-elected a Dem governor in 2022 and flipped their state Supreme Court in 2023.  The Wisconsin assembly, for the first time in decades, is competitive and actually get people to turn out and vote this year to try and flip it (plus half the Wisconsin senate, which has flippable races due to new maps)

Not to mention the absolute chaos that is Michigan GOP (which also re-elected their entire Dem slate of candidates in 2022 and the GOP is broke and leaderless)

For once, it seems like democrats benefit from a state not having term limits.

while it seems like Texas will be saddled with idiots like Paxton, Patrick, and governor Wheelie for the end of time, Wisconsin is a state which doesn’t have term limits. I like the idea of Evers still owning the GOP in Wisconsin 5 years from now.

Edited by Voldemort86

8 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

This piece of shit is a former president and could be elected once again. What a fucking joke.

Republicans: "XYZ is happening!!"

Democrats: "No it's not. That's ridiculous."

Republicans: "Yes it is! And it's terrible! And you're terrible for doing it! And now we're going to do XYZ all of the time!"

Democrats: "Again, that isn't at all what's happening...."

Rinse and repeat.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

Mr. Trump’s ability to consolidate the Republican base better than Mr. Biden has unified the base of his own party shows up starkly in the current thinking of 2020 voters. Mr. Trump is winning 97 percent of those who say they voted for him four years ago, and virtually none of his past supporters said they are casting a ballot for Mr. Biden. In contrast, Mr. Biden is winning only 83 percent of his 2020 voters, with 10 percent saying they now back Mr. Trump.

Welp

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

This piece of shit is a former president and could be elected once again. What a fucking joke.

He's not entirely wrong, Trump is quite the motherfucker and belongs behind bars or better yet in front of a firing squad with live bullets in each gun. 

On 2/29/2024 at 8:42 AM, Js1 said:

Voters will be reminded of Trump's chaos the second the race becomes 1v1 and people start paying attention in the summer.

GA - re-elected a Dem Senator in Biden's first midterm (should have been an auto pickup for the GOP) and Trump's meddling in the GA election absolutely has pissed off enough people.  Kemp won because he was anti-Trump.  State GOP is broke broke. 
AZ - elected a Dem governor, AG, SOS and Dem Senator in 2022.  State GOP is in shambles. 
WI - re-elected a Dem governor in 2022 and flipped their state Supreme Court in 2023.  The Wisconsin assembly, for the first time in decades, is competitive and actually get people to turn out and vote this year to try and flip it (plus half the Wisconsin senate, which has flippable races due to new maps)

Not to mention the absolute chaos that is Michigan GOP (which also re-elected their entire Dem slate of candidates in 2022 and the GOP is broke and leaderless)

It’s all this.  No need to take shit for granted.   But I don’t get the people scared.  ‘You know trump really has a chance, have you seen the polls?!’

So the polls are bullshit when they pump up a Democrat but they’re gospel when the shittiest candidate ever is ahead vs an incumbent who already beat him and is running a red hot economy?

Again, stay vigilant but fuck being scared of Trump’s candidacy.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I beg to differ.  It will tell us the electoral college is stupid.  Trump will lose the popular vote by millions.  

Yep. It all comes down to a handful of districts in a handful of states. 

We are going to have a better idea Tuesday night, which I am looking forward to.  Thus far, Republican turnout hasn't been great, let's hope that continues.  Plus, a good portion of Haley voters are at least saying they won't vote Trump, even if that's just 10% of the R total, things are looking good.  

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Welp

Just out of curiosity, let’s check the methodology.

The New York Times/Siena College poll of 980 registered voters nationwide was conducted on cellular and landline telephones, using live interviewers, from Feb. 25 to 28, 2024. The margin of sampling error for the presidential ballot choice question is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points among registered voters. Cross-tabs and methodology are available here.

They actually ran a telephone poll in … lemme check my calendar … 20 motherfucking 24? Is this a joke?

The NYT actually paid Siena for this shit. That’s unreal.

Edited by Ghost of LL
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Mr. Trump is winning 97 percent of those who say they voted for him four years ago, and virtually none of his past supporters said they are casting a ballot for Mr. Biden.

Anybody still openly and proudly admitting that they voted for Trump is a true believer (or, at least voting R no matter what). Not too worried about them. I'm much more worried about "No, I won't tell you who I voted for in 2020. I dislike Trump, but..." guy.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Just out of curiosity, let’s check the methodology.

They actually ran a telephone poll in … lemme check my calendar … 20 motherfucking 24? Is this a joke?

The NYT actually paid Siena for this shit. That’s unreal.

So when they say registered one way or another, they are just taking the word of the interviewees?  Or are the call lists generated from the registration rolls?

also, it didn’t say in your snip what the landline/mobile respondent % was.  That might matter, or it might be true that only people that still have and answer land lines would answer a cell call from an unknown number.