Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Cool Dude. Enjoy your weekend. And your spelling sucks. All the refugees I have sponsored I knew their country, and usually, ethnic group. So yeah, cuz in that part of the world it matters a lot. Maybe you should learn some things about the international world. 

We defended our take. You did not like it. Enjoy your investments. 

Your wires are so crossed. 

Brisket mentioned once or twice he took in a kid. *I* dont remember precisely where — point is its NOT Ukraine. 

How did you confuse that with the kid himself not knowing where he came from?

Your fundamental confusion explains much of the pitch of this thread….

8 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

His businesses (pre-Twitter) are or have been entirely dependent on the taxpayer dime to be solvent. He just bought a company that has only occasionally turned a profit in the last 9 years based on a whim driven by his need to shitpost.

Even charlatans can make money.

This is so indicative of the attitudes of many like yourself.  Maybe Musk is a horrible person.  I dont know him.  But your post is so stupid.  First, he founded his first company (Zip2) with his brother and another guy in 1995 at 24 years old.  They used angel funding of around $200K or so and 4 years later they sold the company and Musk personally made around $25M.  More money than 99% of people will earn in their lifetime.  Not even remotely  "entirely dependent on the taxpayer dime to be solvent".  From there he founded X.com with a few others which eventually morphed into Paypal and he sold out in 2002 and personally pocketed around $160M.  31 years old and a hundred plus millionaire, again, without even a shred of "entirely dependent on the taxpayer dime to be solvent".  

He very well may be a horrible person with no morality, but to suggest he wasn't extremely successful and a wildly successful businessman is just you being a petty, jealous fool.

As for SpaceX and Tesla, he absolutely utilized govt money.  But he didn't steal it.  He asked for it and they gave it.  Many, many if not most successful businesses started with some type of direct govt funding or SBA loans.  I once advocated to short Tesla stock as I thought the numbers were fishy and I thought Musk was fishy.  I did not think there was any way it would be successful long term.  Yet, their latest reporting showed around $12B in operating profit and free cash flow of almost $7B (almost equal to the entirety of their current debt).  It is actually remarkable.  It could still fail as competition increases and margins fall but, by any business measure, Tesla is a resounding success.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Well, he's also doing it because he feels an affinity with Putin. Both of them think it's good and right for the rich and powerful to simply take what they want and they think there should be no legal or even social checks on people like them doing whatever they want.  

@Brisketexan @InkaUtexas

I am having a really hard time understanding your positions here.  You keep telling everyone that Musk is cozying up (affinity) with Putin/Russia and cares nothing about the people.  Yet, he is essentially spending hundreds of millions personally to provide Ukraine with internet access via Starlink that every person with any knowledge of the situation has aid is absolutely vital to Ukraine's success.  It has resulted in saving thousands of Ukrainian lives and led to the killing of thousands of Russian soldiers and caused Putin to lose massive amounts of money/power/influence etc in the world.  The whole invasion could possibly topple Putin.

Listen to what you posted and liked "Both of them think it's good and right for the rich and powerful to simply take what they want and they think there should be no legal or even social checks on people like them doing whatever they want. "  No one single person (and really many countries) has done more to oppose Putin/Russia in this invasion than Musk.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 2

18 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Nope. Most on this thread see what you stand for. You be you. Take the Loss. Maybe you need to reassess, discuss with your friends your positions. Or say fuck it and enjoy a potato. 

Didn't apologize for my position before.  Not apologizing for that position later. 

I have the prerogative to correct the misrepresentation you make of me.  You have the right to maintain your willful confusion afterward.  Isn't the internet great?

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

Didn't apologize for my position before.  Not apologizing for that position later. 

I have the prerogative to correct the misrepresentation you make of me.  You have the right to maintain your willful confusion afterward.  Isn't the internet great?

This is a Texas sports message board. Why do you write as if your text is automatically translated? How was that potato? 

2 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

@Brisketexan @InkaUtexas

I am having a really hard time understanding your positions here.  You keep telling everyone that Musk is cozying up (affinity) with Putin/Russia and cares nothing about the people.  Yet, he is essentially spending hundreds of millions personally to provide Ukraine with internet access via Starlink that every person with any knowledge of the situation has aid is absolutely vital to Ukraine's success.  It has resulted in saving thousands of Ukrainian lives and led to the killing of thousands of Russian soldiers and caused Putin to lose massive amounts of money/power/influence etc in the world.  The whole invasion could possibly topple Putin.

Rich Man Bad! and thereafter forms the entirety of many theses here. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

@Brisketexan @InkaUtexas

Listen to what you posted and liked "Both of them think it's good and right for the rich and powerful to simply take what they want and they think there should be no legal or even social checks on people like them doing whatever they want. "  No one single person (and really many countries) has done more to oppose Putin/Russia in this invasion than Musk.  

I will let @Brisketexan speak for himself. 

My take is quite simple. Elon has no place in politics. Shut the fuck up and make $$$. And yeah, the Ukrainians and others are paying him for it. Can he launch from Vandenburg without US Support? 

Leave Starlink up. Put it over Iran, Haiti, etc. 

I would say World Food Kitchen has done their part. DOD, the US Tax Payer, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

This is so indicative of the attitudes of many like yourself.  Maybe Musk is a horrible person.  I dont know him.  But your post is so stupid.  First, he founded his first company (Zip2) with his brother and another guy in 1995 at 24 years old.  They used angel funding of around $200K or so and 4 years later they sold the company and Musk personally made around $25M.  More money than 99% of people will earn in their lifetime.  Not even remotely  "entirely dependent on the taxpayer dime to be solvent".  From there he founded X.com with a few others which eventually morphed into Paypal and he sold out in 2002 and personally pocketed around $160M.  31 years old and a hundred plus millionaire, again, without even a shred of "entirely dependent on the taxpayer dime to be solvent".  

He very well may be a horrible person with no morality, but to suggest he wasn't extremely successful and a wildly successful businessman is just you being a petty, jealous fool.

As for SpaceX and Tesla, he absolutely utilized govt money.  But he didn't steal it.  He asked for it and they gave it.  Many, many if not most successful businesses started with some type of direct govt funding or SBA loans.  I once advocated to short Tesla stock as I thought the numbers were fishy and I thought Musk was fishy.  I did not think there was any way it would be successful long term.  Yet, their latest reporting showed around $12B in operating profit and free cash flow of almost $7B (almost equal to the entirety of their current debt).  It is actually remarkable.  It could still fail as competition increases and margins fall but, by any business measure, Tesla is a resounding success.

Honestly, can you describe to the class how his dick and balls taste? Details, fam.

Literally no one said he stole money or that he hasn't had successful businesses jesus christ get a hold of yourself. You're giving away your own game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Lol. Guy who makes money off war (who’s valor is familial, iirc) telling an Asian guy how to spell Asian over and over is the best part of this thread.  Surly never disappoints. 

It is what makes this a great site. But at least spell shit correctly. We are Texas. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

i think in general people don't like assholes.

people really, really don't like rich assholes.

people really, really, really don't like rich assholes who talk out of their ass about many topics and act like they are a SME on those topics.

Agreed, he's a provocative and impulsive asshole who has no business talking about wars.  How does justify and substantiate promoting fictional stories about emeralds  and inheritances or wild allegations about his business?  A personal bias ==> hall pass against objective truths?

Just now, 52-80 said:

Agreed, he's a provocative and impulsive asshole who has no business talking about wars.  How does justify and substantiate promoting fictional stories about emeralds  and inheritances or wild allegations about his business?  A personal bias ==> hall pass against objective truths?

i've never said a word about mines or inheritances or made baseless allegations about his businesses.

in part that last one is because there are more than enough legitimate, well laid out allegations about his businesses over the last 15 years that there isn't much of a need to attack him with falsehoods.

i don't like assholes. he's an asshole.

i don't like people who don't know what they are talking about but act like they do. he does that quite often.

sitting here and acting like people hate him because they ain't him is a lazy take.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

It is what makes this a great site. But at least spell shit correctly. We are Texas. 

Fwiw, I don’t know wtf 5280 is thinking on this one.  But hardly the only absurd take on the thread.  We need to wait and see how Elon’s wealth shakes out to determine his business savvy?  Maybe one day he’ll only be worth 20B. Which will obviously classify his as a business dullard. 

15 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

This is a Texas sports message board.

But you brought up kidnapped babies and implicating other civilians for it?

Why do you write as if your text is automatically translated?

English is not my native tongue and I live outside the US.  Does my writing bother you?

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I thought Elon was a Free Speech absolutist?

My guess is he is more talking about the true extremes socially/legally and not politically. All it does is gives the platform some cover when he does a 90% major players reinstatement instead of 100% across the board.

Some accounts straight up needed to be banned and now he has some cover when he doesnt do them all.

• Hook 'Em 2

But you brought up kidnapped babies and implicating other civilians for it?

English is not my native tongue and I live outside the US.  Does my writing bother you?

Mine either. And no. You opinion of not caring does. That's all. And yes, there is a civilian element in Russia (non military) that enables the movement of children. And Musk defends peace with that in place? 

I am done. You don't answer questions I ask so no reason to continue.

Have a blessed weekend. 

11 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

My guess is he is more talking about the true extremes socially/legally and not politically. All it does is gives the platform some cover when he does a 90% major players reinstatement instead of 100% across the board.

Some accounts straight up needed to be banned and now he has some cover when he doesnt do them all.

I’m fully aware. I was mocking him for stupid shit he says 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

It ain't how much you have today.  It's how much you end up with.  It's like calling someone the world's greatest gambler because he's up $100k in Vegas at 10 pm.  Let's see where he is at 3 am.

And if you want to ignore his plain toadying to China and Russia because he is willing to sacrifice the lives and freedom of millions so he can have a nice supply of raw materials and consumers, have at it.  I won't.  I think it's immoral.

I’ve already said I think his Chinese connections are dangerous. He’s very dependent on the cooperation of the CCP. Same thing is true for lots of individuals and even whole industries. 

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m fully aware. I was mocking him for stupid shit he says 

But unfortunately its not stupid. Its a wonderful CYA against the idiots that are wanting to sue when he doesn't reinstate them vs everyone else. 

I would probably just reinstate everyone knowing Twitter would likely have to instantly ban some of these accounts after their first tweet, but I get the idea of trying to let the content team members be involved to help build or shape the new content moderation narrative.

One thing both Elon and his haters have in common: they both overvalue the fuck out of Twitter.   - That's the entire point of this long post, so I recommend you stop reading there (it's certainly where I should have stopped typing).

This thread is a shitload of drama over something that just isn't nearly as important as it desperately wants to be.  It's a platform for 25-35 year olds (mostly dudes and arguably the absolute dumbest subset of the human population) to jerk each other off, with only about 10% of the users generating any content at all (and who knows what percent of those are bots).  It isn't a public square (or whatever it was Musk said), it's not critical to the survival, function, or betterment of anyone or anything other than itself.  It's classic tech industry bullshit. Nothing of substance is available there, although there are links to substantive materials if you can sift through the nonsense and find them.  Twitter is aptly named, as it largely appeals to ADD addled twits.

All twitter really does is make know-nothing jags feel like they are part of something important by allowing them to communicate with underpaid assistants posing as people of actual importance. It's a dopamine hit for morons.  Oh yeah, and it's a really fucking excellent resource for propaganda and other misuse (like all social media).  The common refrain from supporters is how great it is for breaking news.  The only problem with that is most breaking news is completely wrong, misses key elements, and provides absolutely zero substance or nuance.  What an excellent way to become a complete imbecile.  Even the sports stuff that breaks on Twitter is almost always completely fucking wrong.  Fast news isn't good news.

I get it from an entertainment standpoint.  I'm as susceptible as anyone else and have to actively work to avoid being sucked in by bullshit like Twitter.  However, reading some of the posts about what is ultimately a giant advertisement machine is like dropping in on a fucking Scientology meeting.  I recommend putting Twitter away for a month and then taking stock of whether you actually missed out on anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, NoName said:

i've never said a word about mines or inheritances or made baseless allegations about his businesses.

in part that last one is because there are more than enough legitimate, well laid out allegations about his businesses over the last 15 years that there isn't much of a need to attack him with falsehoods.

i don't like assholes. he's an asshole.

i don't like people who don't know what they are talking about but act like they do. he does that quite often.

sitting here and acting like people hate him because they ain't him is a lazy take.

nobody fingered you for it, but it is rife in this thread, from people whose contempt is so heavy it could be smelled. 

to be clear, anybody can hate anyone for any reason, but a minimum courtesy is to contain the prejudices so their feelings dont color their facts.  (and why i prefer to talk about finance > politics, because numbers generally trounce narratives)

dont tell me that there arent people here throwing gigantically spicy takes w.r.t. his businesses on the basis of their not liking what he says.

Edited by 52-80

5 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

One thing both Elon and his haters have in common: they both overvalue the fuck out of Twitter.   - That's the entire point of this long post, so I recommend you stop reading there (it's certainly where I should have stopped typing).

This thread is a shitload of drama over something that just isn't nearly as important as it desperately wants to be.  It's a platform for 25-35 year olds (mostly dudes and arguably the absolute dumbest subset of the human population) to jerk each other off, with only about 10% of the users generating any content at all (and who knows what percent of those are bots).  It isn't a public square (or whatever it was Musk said), it's not critical to the survival, function, or betterment of anyone or anything other than itself.  It's classic tech industry bullshit. Nothing of substance is available there, although there are links to substantive materials if you can sift through the nonsense and find them.  Twitter is aptly named, as it largely appeals to ADD addled twits.

All twitter really does is make know-nothing jags feel like they are part of something important by allowing them to communicate with underpaid assistants posing as people of actual importance. It's a dopamine hit for morons.  Oh yeah, and it's a really fucking excellent resource for propaganda and other misuse (like all social media).  The common refrain from supporters is how great it is for breaking news.  The only problem with that is most breaking news is completely wrong, misses key elements, and provides absolutely zero substance or nuance.  What an excellent way to become a complete imbecile.  Even the sports stuff that breaks on Twitter is almost always completely fucking wrong.  Fast news isn't good news.

I get it from an entertainment standpoint.  I'm as susceptible as anyone else and have to actively work to avoid being sucked in by bullshit like Twitter.  However, reading some of the posts about what is ultimately a giant advertisement machine is like dropping in on a fucking Scientology meeting.  I recommend putting Twitter away for a month and then taking stock of whether you actually missed out on anything.

Good sir, I object.  Twitter is good for one account.  And one account only.  And it's this one:

If you disagree with me, I'll kick your ass at the bike rack after school.

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

14 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Its well-known that Trump inherited his dads real estate business. Elon’s rumored help from his father - from whom he’s been long estranged - has never ever been substantiated.

Anyone that knows better is welcomed go share.

He was a principal in tech businesses that converged to Paypal, so his wealth building is pretty easy to retrace. 

Ive held from the start of this thread that hes clumsy, brash, and irreverent. 

But his track record proves an shrewd businessman also. That people try to bet against that undeniable truth is farcical.

My opinion is he provides a ton of entertainment for what he/his business does, and for how many people he gets absolutely riled up. This thread case in point. 

He isn't that bright or that shrewd.  He was in a position to take risks that paid off for him and had enough of a cushion to fall back onto.   None of his ideas are really that original or wonderful.  SpaceX is a private take on NASA (whose budgets have been in decline*)  Funded in part by the government, it took the old Saturn V rocket design updated it, and sent stuff into space for his own company and some for NASA.  Again, nothing that any scrub on here couldn't have come up with had we the clout and cash to pull off.  

*NASA peaked in the 60s with a budget of 4.4% of US budget, it is nearly 0.48% now.    

Making stupid tweets isn't quite so hysterical when it can have real implications.   He tried to dip his toes into international conflict and came out looking like a petulant child.  That is not fucking funny.   

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

But unfortunately its not stupid. Its a wonderful CYA against the idiots that are wanting to sue when he doesn't reinstate them vs everyone else. 

I would probably just reinstate everyone knowing Twitter would likely have to instantly ban some of these accounts after their first tweet, but I get the idea of trying to let the content team members be involved to help build or shape the new content moderation narrative.

Let me rephrase, since there seems to be a miscommunication. 

In the past, in criticizing Twitter for its actions of content moderation, Musk has stated he’s a free speech absolutist. That is stupid for a number of different reasons, but mainly because Twitter is a private company, and free speech absolutism leads to horrific outcomes, ie, 4chan.

Now that Musk owns Twitter, he plans to have a content moderation board, which is contrary to his idiotic free speech absolutism. I am mocking him for being a hypocrite. In reality, Musk disagreed with Twitters content moderation policies, and purchased Twitter to have the power to decide what content is moderated. That’s his right. It doesn’t make his other comments less stupid though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

Honestly, can you describe to the class how his dick and balls taste? Details, fam.

Literally no one said he stole money or that he hasn't had successful businesses jesus christ get a hold of yourself. You're giving away your own game.

He's got a pretty well known history of committing securities fraud, so I'll say he stole money.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Hard disagree on the value of twitter, and the trite notion of social media bad.  The value is inherent in its activity.  It has a massive active community particularly where its use-case does not overlap with the other platforms.  If the Twitter were to be nuked from planet, another would take its place.  But as its stands today, the handwringing over Musk's taking over it it, demonstrates the value people ascribe to its importance.  (if not, why do they care so much?)

Fast news is bad news.  What's the alternative?  AFP?  Reuters?  Lest we reinvoke the Ukraine thing again -- please god let this be the last time in this thread -- 80% of the content of the Surly Ukraine thread was built on Twitter updates. 

You may not derive any personal value from Twitter and it could be 1000% true, and people everywhere have been boasting about deleting their FB profiles for 10 years, but in aggregate its the tools employed by pretty much the entire world to organize their social lives, share information, orchestrate events, etc. 

Hard disagree on the value of twitter, and the trite notion of social media bad.  The value is inherent in its activity.  It has a massive active community particularly where its use-case does not overlap with the other platforms.  If the Twitter were to be nuked from planet, another would take its place.  But as its stands today, the handwringing over Musk's taking over it it, demonstrates the value people ascribe to its importance.  (if not, why do they care so much?)

Fast news is bad news.  What's the alternative?  AFP?  Reuters?  Lest we reinvoke the Ukraine thing again -- please god let this be the last time in this thread -- 80% of the content of the Surly Ukraine thread was built on Twitter updates. 

You may not derive any personal value from Twitter and it could be 1000% true, and people everywhere have been boasting about deleting their FB profiles for 10 years, but in aggregate its the tools employed by pretty much the entire world to organize their social lives, share information, orchestrate events, etc. 

In English, please?

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Nivek said:

He isn't that bright or that shrewd.  He was in a position to take risks that paid off for him and had enough of a cushion to fall back onto.   None of his ideas are really that original or wonderful.  SpaceX is a private take on NASA (whose budgets have been in decline*)  Funded in part by the government, it took the old Saturn V rocket design updated it, and sent stuff into space for his own company and some for NASA.  Again, nothing that any scrub on here couldn't have come up with had we the clout and cash to pull off. 

Now this is a real jalapeno.  So the only thing hurdle for a guy with a few hotels to be the next Musk is enough clout?

Originality/novelty matters if you're trying to win a contest for the most patents.  His cushion he built himself (compounded across different businesses).  And then all you need to build a bunch of businesses across industries is merely some vision, daring, risk appetite, connection/networking, tech savvy, business savvy, and a gigantic amount of luck and timing...   the way you trivialize makes it sound so easy.

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

So it'll be next week when the orange fuckstain and white supremacist's get their handles back. I don't twitter too much but I appreciate the platform for what it has been. If he lets it turn into 4chan, fuck it, hopefully an alternative comes out for the normals to use. I'll hold out a modicum of hope that he sees the business problem with letting the shitposters loose in a dangerous fashion, but I suspect it'll be "free speech bro" for all the disgusting texags shit that is about to become 75% of twitters traffic.

Edited by 'stache

20 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

He's got a pretty well known history of committing securities fraud, so I'll say he stole money.

Yep and received a slap on the wrist. Funding secured. 

34 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Funded in part by the government, it took the old Saturn V rocket design updated it, and sent stuff into space for his own company and some for NASA.  Again, nothing that any scrub on here couldn't have come up with had we the clout and cash to pull off. 

Again, surly keyboard warriors bring the lulz. If only you had the clout and cash he magically came up with, then you too could’ve built another Cape Canaveral. Just like the one he built while simultaneously running Tesla. Epically delusional. 

Look, I’ve lost money multiple times buying Tesla puts so I’m not some superfan. He’s definitely shady. Has committed securities fraud. He’s a shitcoin scammer. Uses government funding to support his businesses. He’s also a wildly talented businessman and leader that’s able to make big things happen. Denying that is as weird as excusing everything he does.  

He also will undoubtedly upset conservatives with moves at Twitter. Just sit back and enjoy the show. Or delete your Twitter, I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

He also will undoubtedly upset conservatives with moves at Twitter.

people whose self identity is hardcoded to a political dogma is going to be very upset with twitter, as they are with everything else.  ill sit back with the popcorn. 

12 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

Yep and received a slap on the wrist. Funding secured. 

Again, surly keyboard warriors bring the lulz. If only you had the clout and cash he magically came up with, then you too could’ve built another Cape Canaveral. Just like the one he built while simultaneously running Tesla. Epically delusional. 

Look, I’ve lost money multiple times buying Tesla puts so I’m not some superfan. He’s definitely shady. Has committed securities fraud. He’s a shitcoin scammer. Uses government funding to support his businesses. He’s also a wildly talented businessman and leader that’s able to make big things happen. Denying that is as weird as excusing everything he does.  

He also will undoubtedly upset conservatives with moves at Twitter. Just sit back and enjoy the show. Or delete your Twitter, I guess. 

Blow Bj GIF by AsylumStudios

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?