Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

33 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

You guys who think Twitter is a useless cesspool are doing it wrong. You have to set it up properly. My Lists for college football, international soccer, and F1 are awesome. Some of the funniest content on the planet is in sports twitter.

For now.

Otherwise, yeah, I concur.  And if you use a third party client (Tweetbot is my personal favorite) you can organize the shit chronologically and never, ever see an advertisement or something that you don't care to see.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Unintentional self owns are the best. Yes, there is a lot to choose from from your prolific catalog.

I’m not sure what was unintentional. I have the self awareness to know I have a few fringe views that others might find “crazy”. A column breaking down Elon/Twitter deal and the potential aftermath doesn’t qualify. 

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Oh it's been building up.  Aaaaaaaaaaaaand ignored.

9-C732525-6-D9-C-434-E-9351-4-E8-E24-C1-

• Fuck You 4

22 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Bull-fucking-shit, dude. These aren't your personal views that you just feel like sharing with the world (yes, I'll give you credit for not actually being THAT dumb).

You exclusively post on political or politically-adjacent threads, and link garbage from the darkest corners of the internet that contain complete, intentional fabrications. When called on them, you typically ghost the thread until you can repeat the process all over again.

You treat "just asking questions" like a fucking job. Maybe it is.

What exactly do you get out of this forum if it's not just to troll--paid or otherwise--and spread extreme, unsourced viewpoints?

I actually do think Elon will get targeted more after the Twitter purchase. He’s perceived to be more dangerous now than ever for just the reasons listed in that column. I don’t see how that’s an extreme viewpoint. 

• Fuck You 2

37 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

I actually do think Elon will get targeted more after the Twitter purchase. He’s perceived to be more dangerous now than ever for just the reasons listed in that column. I don’t see how that’s an extreme viewpoint. 

Fuck off. I'm sorry that, on the rare occasion you post a semi-legitimate link, it doesn't get as much discussion traction as you'd like. Them's the breaks when you're arguably the most prolific, intentional bad faith actor on this site. I have no doubt that your actual views skew towards the extreme; but I can also guarantee that you know damn well know what you're doing when you hit Submit on your usual unsourced trash. Hence you putting your tail between your legs and bailing when called out for it.

Someone else said this, so I won't take credit, but, if you told me the sky was blue, I'd go outside to check.

At BEST, you're a useful idiot, but that gives you more credit than you deserve.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Fuck off. I'm sorry that, on the rare occasion you post a semi-legitimate link, it doesn't get as much discussion traction as you'd like. Them's the breaks when you're arguably the most prolific, intentional bad faith actor on this site. I have no doubt that your actual views skew towards the extreme; but I can also guarantee that you know damn well know what you're doing when you hit Submit on your usual unsourced trash. Hence you putting your tail between your legs and bailing when called out for it.

Someone else said this, so I won't take credit, but, if you told me the sky was blue, I'd go outside to check.

At BEST, you're a useful idiot, but that gives you more credit than you deserve.

Okay, "semi-legitimate" was way too generous on my part. No one gives a shit what Mike Solana from Pirate Wires has to say.

"Cartoonishly divorced from reality in the familiar, entertaining, almost comforting manner America has come to expect from the most privileged employees in human history"

Dude has clearly never spent a single day outside this country.

Maybe all the Elon fanbois can sign up for blue marks to help him out.  

The train crash in slow motion is deliciously suspenseful and free.  And I don’t have much sympathy for the employees, sorry.   That whole business model never made much sense to me and 7500 people to run that platform is business malpractice.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Compared to the rest of his tweets in the past week, that one is actually pretty funny. He's still way below the Mendoza line for jokes landed though.

Well he’s emblematic of what’s wrong with Twitter: you have to crawl through miles of garbage for a couple of chuckles.  The juice isn’t worth the squeeze unless you are really addicted to the dopamine hit from catching a like.

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Okay, "semi-legitimate" was way too generous on my part. No one gives a shit what Mike Solana from Pirate Wires has to say.

"Cartoonishly divorced from reality in the familiar, entertaining, almost comforting manner America has come to expect from the most privileged employees in human history"

Dude has clearly never spent a single day outside this country.

I like to present opposing viewpoints here and yes I’m typically sympathetic to them. If I’m not I’ll say so, like with the Elon/Jack conspiracy column. Whether you or anyone else engages is up to the poster. If I’m proven wrong on something I’m pretty quick to admit/correct it and have done it multiple times.

I’ll just leave it with this. The control of information and narrative dissemination is massively important. The fact that Elon is potentially disrupting that is a pretty dramatic change and why I think we’re seeing the reactions on Twitter and here. It’s reasonable to expect the establishment try to get Elon to bend the knee. I could see them going after the shady business shit he’s been doing forever. Solar City was largely glossed over for example. Worth following. 

• Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

I’ll just leave it with this. The control of information and narrative dissemination is massively important. The fact that Elon is potentially disrupting that is a pretty dramatic change and why I think we’re seeing the reactions on Twitter and here. It’s reasonable to expect the establishment try to get Elon to bend the knee. I could see them going after the shady business shit he’s been doing forever. Solar City was largely glossed over for example. Worth following. 

Twitter isn't shit. It's so easily replicated, any fascistic disgraced fuckstain can build their own and call it something snappy like "Truth". Funny thing is, nobody goes to those sites despite being a carbon copy of twitter. It's the audience and eyeballs that make twitter what it is. And that's something that's mighty fickle. 

Let me put it this way: what's to stop an audience from leaving a website after a hostile takeover ousts the former ownership and puts policies in place that users don't like? Let's ask 8badmofo on shaggy.

22 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

I like to present opposing viewpoints here and yes I’m typically sympathetic to them.

You are very sympathetic to Russian and fascist propoganda. You should reflect on that before you get banned for posting Russian propaganda in the Ukraine war thread AGAIN. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

A quick google search shows something like 400k blue checks on Twitter.  Times $20/month = $96M/year.  That’s assuming every one starts forking over $20 a month.  

Out of…$5B annual revenue?  I guess it’s a start.  They’ll need to really open up the ‘active, notable and authentic’ criteria to grow that which means more Catturd2 and what nots.  

42 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

After reading Hatching Twitter, other than Noah Glass, I have no sympathy for anyone associated with the business. Especially Jack Dorsey, who is a philosophically empty meat sack with almost nothing interesting to add to this world.

I enjoy Nick Bilton's most recent books (Hatching Twitter and American Kingpin)

I also have some level of sympathy for Ev, but that is due to other folks I know who are loose acquaintances of his.

I guess Tesla's Autopilot software is out of beta.  Congrats Autopilot owners!  You've been rewarded.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/31/elon-musk-has-pulled-more-than-50-tesla-engineers-into-twitter.html

New Twitter owner Elon Musk has pulled more than 50 of his trusted Tesla employees, mostly software engineers from the Autopilot team, into his Twitter takeover, CNBC has learned.

Musk, who is CEO of automaker Tesla and reusable rocket maker SpaceX, completed the $44 billion acquisition of Twitter on Oct. 28 and made his mark there immediately. He fired the company’s CEO, chief financial officer, policy and legal team leaders right away, and has also dissolved Twitter’s board of directors.

According to internal records viewed by CNBC, employees from Musk’s other companies are now authorized to work at Twitter, including more than 50 from Tesla, two from the Boring Company (which is building underground tunnels) and one from Neuralink (which is developing a brain-computer interface).

Some of Musk’s friends, advisors and backers, including the head of his family office Jared Birchall, angel investor Jason Calacanis, and founding PayPal chief operating officer and venture capitalist David Sacks, are also involved. So are two people who share Musk’s last name, James and Andrew Musk, who have worked at Palantir and Neuralink, respectively.

Among the dozens who Elon Musk enlisted specifically from Tesla are: director of software development Ashok Elluswamy, director of Autopilot and TeslaBot engineering Milan Kovac, senior director of software engineering Maha Virduhagiri; Pete Scheutzow, a senior staff technical program manager, and Jake Nocon, who is part of Tesla’s surveillance unit, as a senior manager of security intelligence.

Nocon previously worked for Uber and Nisos, a security company that had a multimillion-dollar contract with Tesla to identify insider threats, and monitor critics of the company.

Tesla is facing serious scrutiny around the technology built and maintained by its Autopilot team, namely its driver-assistance systems, which are marketed as Autopilot, FSD and FSD Beta.

The Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Justice, and the California Department of Motor Vehicles are all investigating whether Tesla or Musk violated laws and misled consumers about Tesla’s driver assistance systems, which are still in development and do not make the company’s cars self-driving.

Meanwhile, the federal vehicle safety authority, NHTSA, continues to investigate whether Tesla driver assistance systems may have contained defects that contributed to or caused collisions. The way that Tesla marketed these systems on social media, including Twitter, is part of the scope of at least one NHTSA investigation.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

19 minutes ago, Homercles said:

A quick google search shows something like 400k blue checks on Twitter.  Times $20/month = $96M/year.  That’s assuming every one starts forking over $20 a month.  

Out of…$5B annual revenue?  I guess it’s a start.  They’ll need to really open up the ‘active, notable and authentic’ criteria to grow that which means more Catturd2 and what nots.  

Wouldn't surprise me if Twitter gets that revenue.  I think most consumers these days are use dto paying $25/month here, $9.99 there, etc., so what's another $20 per month? 

I'm not on Twitter, but I am on Facebook, and it's the primary way I keep up with a lot lifelong friends.  I'm sure if Facebook started charging some relatively low monthly fee, I, and a shitload of other users, would gladly pay.

JFC, just because somebody works in software doesn't mean they are remotely qualified to work in another field of coding.

I have certain policy fields of specialization.  That doesn't mean you want me going over health care legislation with any seriousness. 

"Er...this looks like it directs the Centers for Medicare to do something with prosthetics.  I think, I don't really know that part of the federal code."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

JFC, just because somebody works in software doesn't mean they are remotely qualified to work in another field of coding.

I have certain policy fields of specialization.  That doesn't mean you want me going over health care legislation with any seriousness. 

"Er...this looks like it directs the Centers for Medicare to do something with prosthetics.  I think, I don't really know that part of the federal code."

Funny you say that.  From the article:

Several Twitter employees told CNBC over the weekend that Tesla employees now at Twitter have been involved in code review at the social network, even though their skills from working on Autopilot and other Tesla software and hardware do not directly overlap with the languages and systems used to build and maintain the social network. These employees asked not to be named because they’re not authorized to talk to the press about internal matters, and feared retaliation.

For example, most engineers in automotive companies, even the tech-forward Tesla, do not have experience designing and operating search engines and platforms that are broadly accessible to the public.

Twitter has multiple code bases with millions of lines of code in each, and myriad 10 million or even 100 million or more queries per second (QPS) systems underpinning it. At Tesla, Python is one of the preferred scripting languages, and at Twitter programmers have used Scala extensively.

Twitter also has more exposure to international regulations around hate speech and data privacy, for example, particularly the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah wow just in terms of design principles, you have completely different paradigms between social media (low risk, unlimited compute) and robotics controls for multi-ton vehicles (high risk, constrained compute), and just the underlying tech and services used by each. There's probably some foundational language overlap, but I doubt there's much transferrable as far as patterns, architectures, or best practices. 

Lol at anyone who's been paying $10k to have (now) twitter engineers drive them around. Your previously beta software is now fully released!

... what changelog, you ask?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, choripan said:

Never did Twitter due to how hard it is to follow, but have FB and Insta.

I'm thinking not ever going in on Twitter is going to be like when I skipped over MySpace and was fine.

TikTok TBD.

...how hard it is to follow someone?! it's literally the exact same process as facebook, instagram and every other social network out there.

guy, twitter isn't some flash in the pan like path or pownce where it exists for like 5 years then is gone (or less in pownce's situation)

Edited by NoName

34 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Elon's just doing this with Tesla employees:

YARN | Come on, do math. | Family Guy (1999) - S05E03 Comedy | Video clips  by quotes | e9ae40d4 | 紗

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I have no clue how any of that shit works - don’t do FB, Twitter, Tiktok, Instagram, or any other similar crap.

I'm not entirely certain Elon Musk does either.

As somebody else posted: If the service you are participating in is free, you are the product that is being sold.  Either as an advertising audience, data source, etc.  The users on any social media are the product being sold.  Other groups are paying to access them, maybe its political parties paying Facebook to access the algorithm and sell you targeted advertising (did you know there's a Senate race in Pennsylvania?  My facebook never, ever lets me forget) or Amazon paying Insta for access to it's data collection so it can tailor it's app feed very specifically to whatever you are looking/at.  Elon seems to think that he can charge people to use social media.  I don't care enough about my racist Uncle to actually pay to see his feed, dipshit.

You might be able to find a bit of extra revenue by charging to allow people to access special content from top users, but those users will then rightfully expect to get a piece of that action. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?