Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

10 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Well, my knowledge is dated back to when I worked in the field, but first and foremost a person has to be shown as a danger to themselves or others. Then a court ordered involuntarily commitment can be issued, but it typically requires family members or law enforcement to press for such. In short, again, based on my very dated and incomplete knowledge of the subject, none of the required aspects are present. Even if they were, he would apply a lot of counter pressure with a wrll finanaced legal team and a ton of folks would come to his "rescue". So.. in short, no chance that I am aware of currently.

I am happy to be corrected by more knowledgeable folks.

Is lighting billions of dollars on fire not a type of danger? In one of the stories I remember, a series of questionable financial decisions was how a few family members were nudged off the fence from the effort to get that person help.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I promise I'm not being glib or facetious here. What would it take for him to get involuntarily committed? The only people I've ever known who have been this reckless and deluded have all ended up on serious psychiatric meds and/or institutionalized.

Unless you are exhibiting violent behaviors, it pretty much takes a family member who loves you and cares about your wellbeing to get an involuntary commitment. So he’s SOL

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Sawbonz said:

Unless you are exhibiting violent behaviors, it pretty much takes a family member who loves you and cares about your wellbeing to get an involuntary commitment. So he’s SOL

Even his blood emerald miner dad hates him

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Is lighting billions of dollars on fire not a type of danger?

You're hoping you can get our entire state, local and federal government workers committed aren't you?!? You might want to start with the Greeks or Italians. Low hangin' fruit if you will.

Also, the Aurora was a the base of a really good car doomed by its Olds brand and GM parts bin interior. The Aztek was before its time and previewed where we were going with crossovers. The Fiero finally got good when the Pontiac guys were able to get more power for it despite Corvette guys’ protests. The Honda Ridgeline is a very good and comfortable truck that does everything most people need in a truck. The Cybertruck is shit.

These are my car opinions and they are correct. 

• Like 1

60 days notice.  I'm not an HR person, but I bet there's many ways around that requirement.  Is it 60 days from the employees being notified, or from when the severance fully pays out?  I don't know, and frankly don't care.

Tesla manufacturing is very inefficient and is complete shit for automotive quality.  He banked on creating his own "iphone" type market with cars, and it backfired. 

Yes, alot of smug fan boys love their Tesla.  But that same type of population loved their prius when it first came out too.  Toyota makes excellent vehicles, but you don't see the Prius dominating the auto market either.

I'm going to have fun watching the slow demise...

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, freyguy said:

60 days notice.  I'm not an HR person, but I bet there's many ways around that requirement.  Is it 60 days from the employees being notified, or from when the severance fully pays out?

Warn act says employees get 60 days notice or 60 days pay or a combo of the two. 

most companies choose the notice and hope the effected employees are able to leave prior to the full notice term for a new job, as quitting relieves them of the 60 day responsibility. 

I've seen two Cybertruck bros in the wild.   Both just quickly in passing.

The first one was wrapped and had the suspension up (I assume)  The wrap looked good and the novelty of the truck made me think...  "Meh not my cup o tea but not as bad in person as the internet says"

Then I saw the second one dropping their kid off at school.  No wrap, much lower, and it looked straight up stupid.  Like dull metallic door stopper.  Yikes

I promise I'm not being glib or facetious here. What would it take for him to get involuntarily committed? The only people I've ever known who have been this reckless and deluded have all ended up on serious psychiatric meds and/or institutionalized.
Deny him a Pepsi?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

this seems like the wrong way to handle it

also losing 2 hours (!) of productivity because you are having to do badge checks because of your shitty notification method? just incredible.

https://www.businessinsider.in/thelife/news/some-tesla-factory-workers-realized-they-were-laid-off-when-security-scanned-their-badges-and-sent-them-back-on-shuttles-sources-say/articleshow/109323973.cms

Some Tesla factory workers realized they were laid off when security scanned their badges and sent them back on shuttles, sources say

The cuts impacted engineers and production associates alike. At Tesla's factory in Sparks, Nevada, workers faced about a two-hour line Monday morning in order to get into the facility as a result of badge checks, one worker said.

At the factory, the security team was scanning the badges of workers coming out of the shuttles that ferry people between the factory and nearby parking lots, said two current Tesla workers who requested anonymity since they weren't authorized to speak about the matter. Typically, security guards inspect workers' badges at the site, but don't usually scan them directly, the two workers said. On Monday morning, the officials picked out the workers who had been laid off and sent them back on separate vans, the two workers said.

Three other former Tesla employees said workers at the Fremont factory were told by security that if their badges didn't work they were no longer employed.

Tesla employees who were terminated received notice via their personal emails on Sunday night and their access to Tesla systems was revoked, four workers said. The company-wide email that Elon Musk sent announcing the cuts was delivered shortly before midnight on Sunday, according to a timestamp on the memo viewed by BI.

"We have done a thorough review of the organization and made the difficult decision to reduce our headcount globally. Unfortunately as a result, your position has been eliminated by this restructuring," a separate email notifying impacted employees they'd been laid off reads, according to a copy viewed by Business Insider.

The email sent directly to laid-off staff said the cuts would be effective immediately and workers would receive information regarding their severance within 48 hours.

reddit rumor is 10% globally, 20% RIF in Austin, backing off night shifts by a couple of hours (or entirely) and 50% of the QA team was let go.

more on the Austin specific RIF

https://electrek.co/2024/04/15/tesla-heads-rolling-critical-projects-gigafactory-texas/

Tesla announced today that it is laying off over 10% of its workforce. The automaker is again using “hiring inefficiencies due to rapid growth” as the reason for the layoffs.

However, Electrek is learning that Tesla is also using this round of layoffs to clean house on some projects in Austin, Texas.

We previously reported that Tesla’s SVP of Powertrain and Energy Engineering, Drew Baglino, left the company today.

Baglino was leading many engineering projects at Tesla, including the 4680 battery cell production and the cathode factory at Gigafactory Texas in Austin. Those two projects have seen serious delays.

Sources familiar with the matter have told Electrek that Tesla has also let go of Anthony Thurston, Senior Manager of Cathode Materials & Manufacturing at Tesla, who was reporting to Baglino regarding the cathode factory project.

A person familiar with the project described it to Electrek as “a financial black hole.”

he's such a moron

GLQkjRRXAAAwcMY?format=jpg&name=large

also, is your stock being down 40% over the last 6 months a bad thing? any other CEO on the planet would get fired for that

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If you're leasing your car, you probably have bigger financial black flags than some corporate rebate / discount.

If my employer offered me a car lease at 50% off, I would jump at that in a heartbeat. I would also make sure the discount was for the life of the lease no matter my employment status or that I could turn the vehicle in without penalty when my employment ended. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

If you're leasing your car, you probably have bigger financial black flags than some corporate rebate / discount.

Not necessarily with EVs. It's a loophole to get the full $7500 EV tax credit for TVs over $80K.

Of course, I doubt many of the Tesla employees are leasing a Model S or Cybertruck, so you may be right with these folks. 

Edited by hornian

Is leasing always bad? I haven't really heard the arguments and I've never leased a car but I have been curious about not "owning" a depreciating asset.

I was riding in the car with my brother-in-law when we saw a Cybertruck. He looked at me like a sad puppy and asked me to confirm how stupid they looked.
I was like wtf dude, of course they are fucking ugly as fuck! He just gave me a look and said, “My wife thinks they’re super fucking cool and look awesome. That means she has bad taste and I must be ugly as fuck.”
I didn’t know what to say because he was having a midlife crisis epiphany moment, so I just blurted out, “Well my sister was a lot thinner back when y’all were in college, so don’t worry about it.”
We just sat the rest of the drive in silence saying nothing as a second Cybertruck later passed us. 

Really? The correct answer was bro you’ve been to’ up from the flo’ up your whole life. You’re just now realizing this?

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Concerning 

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

The QA team was fired for cause.

Yeah while it's amusing in one regard, QA issues are already a concern among the Tesla lineup. Reducing the employees from a problem area is not likely to help the problem area unless of course they are replacing them with better folks... which I'm pretty sure they aren't.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

39 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Really? The correct answer was bro you’ve been to’ up from the flo’ up your whole life. You’re just now realizing this?

Hey man, maybe his BIL is pimptastic and buff. You don't know, and it's no nice of you to assume he isn't. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Is leasing always bad? I haven't really heard the arguments and I've never leased a car but I have been curious about not "owning" a depreciating asset.

Leasing is better than buying a car every 5 years.  Assuming like most people access to a vehicle is a necessity to you, don't think of the car as the asset, the asset is not having to pay for it.  Of course that means being seen around town in an older vehicle, and a lot of people see cars as status symbols rather than a functional tool.

4 hours ago, NoName said:

this seems like the wrong way to handle it

also losing 2 hours (!) of productivity because you are having to do badge checks because of your shitty notification method? just incredible.

https://www.businessinsider.in/thelife/news/some-tesla-factory-workers-realized-they-were-laid-off-when-security-scanned-their-badges-and-sent-them-back-on-shuttles-sources-say/articleshow/109323973.cms

Some Tesla factory workers realized they were laid off when security scanned their badges and sent them back on shuttles, sources say

reddit rumor is 10% globally, 20% RIF in Austin, backing off night shifts by a couple of hours (or entirely) and 50% of the QA team was let go.

more on the Austin specific RIF

https://electrek.co/2024/04/15/tesla-heads-rolling-critical-projects-gigafactory-texas/

he's such a moron

GLQkjRRXAAAwcMY?format=jpg&name=large

also, is your stock being down 40% over the last 6 months a bad thing? any other CEO on the planet would get fired for that

I love this.  "Wartime CEO mode."  I mean, I can see this: "Everything is exploding and in flames!  I'm taking authoritative command and making hard decisions to save the ship!"  That kinda makes sense.  But when it leaves out the response of "but....Captain....you're the one who decided to set off all our depth charges while they were still on board to 'own tha libz.'  And you're the one who pointed all of our missiles down at the deck before launching them straight into our own ship.  So.....maybe we should look to new leadership who won't blow up our own ship and then yell that only he can save us?"...well, that's a pretty seriously incomplete statement.

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I love this.  "Wartime CEO mode."  I mean, I can see this: "Everything is exploding and in flames!  I'm taking authoritative command and making hard decisions to save the ship!"  That kinda makes sense.  But when it leaves out the response of "but....Captain....you're the one who decided to set off all our depth charges while they were still on board to 'own tha libz.'  And you're the one who pointed all of our missiles down at the deck before launching them straight into our own ship.  So.....maybe we should look to new leadership who won't blow up our own ship and then yell that only he can save us?"...well, that's a pretty seriously incomplete statement.

Like most narcissists, he's in constant pursuit of narratives that allow him to avoid unflattering truths. You see, he hasn't been committing boneheaded gaffes and squandering the goodwill of these once proud companies, he's just under siege by the deep state and has to make difficult "wartime ceo" decisions.

• Hook 'Em 7

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You're the captain now!

Just now, Celery Man said:

Yeah I’ve said a few times that they should have made a mini van but the idea of a Tesla sliding door for children is terrifying.

But it's a great idea for those looking to live off a disability and massive legal settlement. Can't see a downside other than maybe being forced to "shoot" off hand for the rest of your life.

6 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Lot of cases, especially relating to tax treatment, where a lease makes sense. Especially for business owners.

In our personal case a few months ago, we leased a PHEV Jeep Wrangler in order to get the full $7500 EV credit, and then bought it out as soon as we could get a payoff from the leasing company. That's thousands of dollars in our pocket thanks to leasing 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, MrBig said:

IMG_5315.thumb.png.b9fad5dc581db78e8c746027c873868c.png

Never buy something and have your employer reimburse you on each paycheck. It can work out but there are horror stories like this.

I worked for an employer that wanted me to buy a work laptop, and they would reimburse me over 2 years for it. I opted out and told my boss I would log onto work email from the client's workstation that they were providing me for free. I wasn't going to buy my work laptop just to check email.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

That already exists. They're currently call Tesla owners, which isn't a great business model.

You gotta give Elon credit, he figured out a way to have people pay to be beta testers.

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Never buy something and have your employer reimburse you on each paycheck. It can work out but there are horror stories like this.

I worked for an employer that wanted me to buy a work laptop, and they would reimburse me over 2 years for it. I opted out and told my boss I would log onto work email from the client's workstation that they were providing me for free. I wasn't going to buy my work laptop just to check email.

But then we would never get songs like this:

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, freyguy said:

"Hey, my company just laid me off.  Why don't I get my corporate incentives anymore?"

Seriously?

The guy has a point, what is normal for most companies - real discounts on purchases, Tesla screws you over with a lease refund after the fact.

It basically locks you in to their job. Your incentive to leave is very low. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ended up behind a cybertruck today. And realized you can’t see out the back. At all.

be3119e8712231f7b6de7cc711cb1982.jpg

The solution? A camera display on the center monitor. Do you trust that? I mean, beyond the fact that it’s Austin, and NOBODY checks their mirrors anyway.

It’s a dumb fucking design. And everything I see or learn about it just makes it dumber.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2