Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

New users and 500% more n words. I think we know his new audience. I guess My Pillow and Papa John’s can buy all the advertising.

to be clear, Papa Johns != Papa John.

John Schnatter has been gone from the company for like 4 years?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

to be clear, Papa Johns != Papa John.

John Schnatter has been gone from the company for like 4 years?

And yet he's still all I think about when I think of Papa Johns, that and shitty pizza. I also think about Jared when I think of Subway but at least he wasn't the owner of the comany.

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

And yet he's still all I think about when I think of Papa Johns, that and shitty pizza. I also think about Jared when I think of Subway but at least he wasn't the owner of the comany.

idk what to tell you? you have clearly not paid any attention to any of their commercials or marketing in years then. idk how much he owns now, but John Schnatter was under 4% ownership in 2020, down from like 39%?

i haven't eaten a papa johns pizza in over 5 years, but i know that that Shaq is the "face" of their company and has been for a while.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

You know that feeling of buying a boat, and watching it depreciate half in a year or whatever?  Or that old thing about driving a new car off the lot, and it depreciating immediately?
Twitter wasn't worth the massive overpay that Elon proposed, but what's it worth today?  25% of what the purchase price was?  How much lower is its worth going to go?

Yeah, this meme totally fits:

6ztlw9.jpg

So the new motto is -

If it flies, floats, fucks, or tweets - rent don’t buy?
  • Hook 'Em 3

48 minutes ago, NoName said:

image.png.1022dd7ee7300e86018a2fc2f0a05120.png

Suspicious Eva Green GIF by James Bond 007

Well well, look at you Alex Voigt *checks notes* engineer and Tesla stock investor from Germany. Ummmm, yeah, I can see why you'd tweet that and it would get a reply. Say, there's a group of people in College Station that like to pay good sometimes even outrageous money for that kind of wisdom. Why don't you hit them up, Alex?

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

In today's news, a "free speech absolutist," who insists that his platform will 100% "track the law on free speech".....demonstrates that he doesn't understand a single goddamn thing about free speech or the law governing same.  Hint: boycotts are an established form of protected "speech."  And to have a claim for "tortious interference," there has to be an underlying tort.  Good luck with a defamation claim, Elon: 1) he's a public figure now, 2) functionally everything being said about him is either plainly true (e.g., pointing to actual tweets he's made) or opinion, which is not defamatory (it's not defamatory to say "Elon is a snowflake" -- that's an opinion), and 3) he would have to show a causal connection between specific statements and advertiser action.  

I'd love Elon to file that case....because I'd love to file the anti-SLAPP lawsuit motion against him, recovering my fees (at my new rate of $1,000 an hour).

Elon can't help but make himself look like an idiotic jackass every time he speaks/tweets.  He just keeps digging.

This feels like a good time to remind everyone that Elon Musk and his friends, are, well, kinda dumb.

Also: This

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Well well, look at you Alex Voigt *checks notes* engineer and Tesla stock investor from Germany. Ummmm, yeah, I can see why you'd tweet that and it would get a reply. Say, there's a group of people in College Station that like to pay good sometimes even outrageous money for that kind of wisdom. Why don't you hit them up, Alex?

I guess since the Crypto crash, Twitter is the new "Greater Fool" scam? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Nothing screams Tech Genius like taking a picture of a computer screen to post rather than a screen shot. 

I once had a boss who couldn’t really use the track changes feature and she’d hand write edits on the paper she got. In cursive, of course. Then she’d take a photo of it and send it in a text or as an email attachment.

Getting those kind of vibes here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

In today's news, a "free speech absolutist," who insists that his platform will 100% "track the law on free speech".....demonstrates that he doesn't understand a single goddamn thing about free speech or the law governing same.  Hint: boycotts are an established form of protected "speech."  And to have a claim for "tortious interference," there has to be an underlying tort.  Good luck with a defamation claim, Elon: 1) he's a public figure now, 2) functionally everything being said about him is either plainly true (e.g., pointing to actual tweets he's made) or opinion, which is not defamatory (it's not defamatory to say "Elon is a snowflake" -- that's an opinion), and 3) he would have to show a causal connection between specific statements and advertiser action.  

I'd love Elon to file that case....because I'd love to file the anti-SLAPP lawsuit motion against him, recovering my fees (at my new rate of $1,000 an hour).

Elon can't help but make himself look like an idiotic jackass every time he speaks/tweets.  He just keeps digging.

The person Elo's responding to there, Tom Fitton, is not a lawyer, however a certain former president took his "legal advice" that he had the right to keep top secret documents and other property of the United States, upon his exit from the WH. Total fraud of a person yet Elo's responsive to him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

clean your screen you heathen.

also, way to make sure that everyone who follows you is now aware of your competitor.

4 days ago, Mastadon had 655k active users. today it's over a million. in the 3 days after twitter sale closed, they saw a 658% increase in app installs. is it perfect? nope. but again, why would you even recognize them at all?!

edit: he deleted it. just when you think a guy can't get any more thin skinned...

https://polititweet.org/tweets?account=44196397&deleted=True

image.thumb.png.daa90a98bd4cc2f4480bdb73fc6316a5.png

MIm8OeKyhSCU.jpeg

Edited by NoName
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Look, I live and work in DC. While you can fling a stick and hit a lawyer in this town, almost any of us can fake it at least a little.  Until people actually start talking about taking real legal action, then most people start cracking out the "I'm not a lawyer" real fast.

Joe Biden GIF by Election 2020

Yep.  I have a cousin who has a very solid impeccable resume (including working closely with the guy in that GIF).  Several years ago, as we were drinking more than a few beers and talking about what we'd been up to the past year, he said "you know, I really think it's damned cool that you are an actual lawyer -- you are in the trenches, doing actual legal work.  I know a hundred guys who are 'lawyers' and have law degrees, but they live in my world and don't actually know or do anything in the real legal world."  That dichotomy honestly hadn't even occurred to me till he said something.

And yeah, I'm now much more aware of seeing "lawyers" (or shit, even politicos who just fancy themselves as "legal experts") mouthing off about the law and not knowing their ass from a hole in the ground -- such as the post referenced above.

And Elon amplifies them.  Because Elon is -- and I'm becoming pretty comfortable with this assessment -- not that smart.  He's been effective at some things, and in some narrow lanes, he is certainly intelligent.  But overall, especially when reading his communications/texts/tweets......take away his net worth, and EVERYONE worth a shit would accurately be calling him a mouthy idiot.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Goredho said:

How valuable is Twitter's data?  What would someone pay to know what Twitter knows about its 450 million users habits, behaviors, predilections, biases and how to target them for influence?

How about the DMs? What a fucking goldmine. 

In other news, local man who compared internet to fax machine tweets about Mastodon struggles. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Because Elon is -- and I'm becoming pretty comfortable with this assessment -- not that smart.

The world’s richest man is yet to be confirmed as a good businessman. Also, the CEO of two of the largest tech companies in the world is not that smart. How a poor businessman with average at best intelligence could accomplish so much is a miracle. 

I love it, Brisket. Keep it up. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Out of curiosity I looked up Mastadon and it's confusing as hell. You have to sign up through other sites and it's not it's own site? I'm too old for that stuff.

This was my wife's take, as she's a fairly consistent twitter user.  I gave up twitter a few years ago and get my dopamine from instagram instead.

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

This was my wife's take, as she's a fairly consistent twitter user.  I gave up twitter a few years ago and get my dopamine from instagram instead.

I just turned 40, I think I'm constitutionally limited to Facebook from here on out.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Jesus Christ, Silicon Valley wasn't a comedy-drama, it was a fucking documentary.

literally everything on Silicon Valley other than the end-of-the-world scenario in the finale was mined from real life.  The guy who founded the inspiration for Aviato lives here in town and is a successful serial entrepreneur. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

Facebook is the Mexican dirtweed of social media.

I'm one of those assholes who can say I signed up for Facebook when it still required a .edu email address. I also preferred MySpace and thought it was going to dominate over Facebook. I'm married to it for life.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

It's very funny to see just how fucking balls-on accurate our predictions from months back have turned out to be and the couple Elon stans that remain are just flailing about now with "he's made money so he knows what he's doing!" 

If you weren't a maladjusted teenager with no friends growing up, it was very easy to see how this was always going to play out.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Chopper said:

He thought he'd be adored because everyone he knows kisses his ass because he has a lot of money.

But nobody on twitter gives a fuck about his money. And they don't want anything from him.

Nobody on twitter even likes him.

No wonder he's having a nervous breakdown in public.

It's the digital equivalent of the American small town big fish going on vacation to France.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

11 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

It's the digital equivalent of the American small town big fish going on vacation to France.

....or a man on the spectrum with a serious personality disorder thinking that his success in arenas populated by engineers (read: fellow people who often have below-average human engagement skills) will translate into an arena that is literally all about human interaction.

Intelligence in a particular niche, combined with epic hubris.  It's not like humanity hasn't seen how this goes multiple times before.

However, if you HAVEN'T seen that before, and think that intelligence and making decent coin in one arena translates to intelligence and winning across the board, I invite all of you to invest in the new business of pretty smart lawyer Brisketexan esq., a venture in which I will develop and market software and operating systems designed to facilitate space travel and long-term interconnected colonization of space, with attendant engineering and aerospace functions.  You know, since smart people are smart at everything, and can't fail.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

They can go out and prove day after day that they are absolute fucking morons with nothing resembling a moral base and yet we have so many Americans eating their bullshit and parroting "they are super-smart; they are leaders."   

So most elected leaders and Hollywood actors in the last 40 years. This phenomenon is not relegated to ultra rich white men.

53 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1 -- the curious American tendency to equate "made a lot of money" with "must be super-smart" still baffles me.  Someone may be good at making money in a certain arena....that does not necessarily equate to broad-reaching intelligence.   It doesn't mean that person is NOT intelligent, but it doesn't necessarily follow.

2 -- even intelligent people, demonstrating great intelligence in one or more areas, are not necessarily very intelligent across the board.  See, e.g., most doctors I've known.  Really smart guys (have to be, to make it through medical school) by any objective measure.  Most know their stuff very well.  But, ummm, don't take investment advice from them (Chitowndoc excluded, of course). 

The things that Elon may demonstrate intelligence in perhaps don't translate very well to a social media company.  Or personal relationships.  Or being a functioning human in society.  I'm not going to hire a heart surgeon to fly my plane -- not because he's not smart, but because he has demonstrated no intelligence in the field.  I'm even less likely to hire him to counsel my child through emotional development issues, because the type of intelligence the heart surgeon has demonstrated is often incompatible with the kind of emotional intelligence you want a child's counselor to have.

There are plenty of guys who worked at NASA who built kick-ass rockets to take us to the moon.  Geniuses....literally, rocket scientists.  But I'd wager that most of them would perform like idiots if put in charge of a venture that hinged on human psychology and behavior.  A venture like, say, Twitter.  Literally the first word in the type of business is "social."  If you don't have great social intelligence, AND you're insisting on micromanaging the platform....well, let's all watch this play out in real-time, shall we?

Einstein was a great physicist but not a great mathematician and so he consulted with better mathematicians to help him.  That is a genius.   A rocket scientist who builds engines would likely hit the books to learn the business and consult with others experienced in the area and not be some tv caricature of an egghead scientist who cannot communicate or is unwilling to learn.   If a person thinks they cannot learn something they aren't a genius, they are a narcissist poser.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

If a person thinks they cannot learn something they aren't a genius, they are a narcissist poser. 

QF absolute truth.

A smart man is someone who is smart enough to know how dumb he is.  When it comes to a field where he doesn't have the expertise/experience, he asks for advice from those who have those things.

Elon is careening all over the road trying to sound like an expert in something he's not an expert in.  And it looks exactly like Toonces behind the wheel.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

So most elected leaders and Hollywood actors in the last 40 years. This phenomenon is not relegated to ultra rich white men.

Get the fuck outta here.

There’s not one single politician nor actor or singer or athlete that wields the kind of control over multiple information platforms and the algorithms that Zuckerberg, Bezos, Murdoch, and now Musk hold.

Having an opinion and a large following on someone else’s platform =/= control of the platform.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Calm down, little Johnny. It will all be ok

Edited by Cornpop
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 14

13 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Get the fuck outta here.

There’s not one single politician nor actor or singer or athlete that wields the kind of control over multiple information platforms and the algorithms that Zuckerberg, Bezos, Murdoch, and now Musk hold.

Having an opinion and a large following on someone else’s platform =/= control of the platform.

that's quite a group. 2 social media + e-commerce + news.

why do people think that social media websites are out here putting their thumb on the scale to lean it more their way vs another way. they exist to collect data on you, and use that data to target more specific ads to you.

97.2% of FB's total revenue is from ads. 89.x% of Twitter's revenue is from ads. 81+% of Alphabet's revenue is from ads. earlier this year, TikTok's ad revenue was projected to top Snapchat + Twitter's combined - through Q1 this year it was up 184.4% YOY.

they exist to sell ads to companies who want to sell you shit, not to flip you from one side of the political spectrum to the other.

• Hook 'Em 2

My job involves me sitting down with strangers, and reading their body language, responses, and political office needs and necessities to convince them to do something in my employer's interest.  And I don't have a PAC or write campaign checks.  It's all personality, emotional intelligence, preparation, and a little bit of luck.  I'm fucking good at my job. I am hell of a lobbyist.

Along those lines:  It's damn hard to be a good politician. It requires both physical stamina (they shake so many fucking hands), a thick skin, the ability to think on your feet, and being absolutely shameless, especially in asking for money.

You don't want me engineering your electric car, even if I can tell you where the lithium in it comes from and why renewable energy challenges aren't a mining issue, it's a chemistry issue. If Elon Musk came on board and said: I want to improve Twitter's algorithm and interface to improve it's user experience and drive eyeballs/clicks/revenue, I'd buy that.  When he showed up and basically said: I'm going to be a giant personality/troll, well, let's say I'm doubtful.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

On April 4th, when it was announced that Elon was joining Twitter's board, TSLA closed at $381.82 per share.

It's now under $200.

From Barron's:

Tesla stock was falling again Monday, dropping below a key level that it needs to hold or risk a much bigger drop from doubting investors.

Shares of Tesla (ticker: TSLA) are coming off a brutal Friday—a 3.6% loss. The stock opened higher to start the new week—up 0.7% at $208.90—before falling back 4.5% at $198.05. The S&P 500 is flat. The Dow Jones Industrial Average is up 0.5%. 

The key level is $200, the price that the stock has held through a laundry list of problems for the electric vehicle pioneer: weaker-than-expected third-quarter deliveries, more delays at its Shanghai plant because of China’s zero-Covid policy, rising interest rates, weakening consumer demand, and price cuts—again in China.

And as important—or maybe more important—than the stock’s sheer resilience is the stock price’s effect on traders, who pay a lot of attention to chart patterns and stock support levels. Any breakdown below a key level will be jumped on by traders looking to profit from trends.

Spoiler

n the case of Tesla, falling below $200 a share would essentially complete the end of a head-and-shoulders pattern—a stock chart that, essentially, looks like a person shrugging their shoulders. At the start of the pattern, the stock is moving higher and declines—a shrug. The head is a new high and then the stock forms the other shrug. When the last shrug is finished, the stock has a ways to fall.

Fairlead Strategies founder Katie Stockton believes if the stock breaks $200, then the next key level is about $180 a share. After that, 22V Research technical strategist John Roque says that $100 if there is more fundamental bad news—about the economy or the company.

Traders watch for patterns that work—and that give insight into investor sentiment. Fundamentals don’t matter as much to them. They have lots of ways to make money in the stock market.

Fundamentally, the weakness in Tesla stock has to be blamed on Twitter. More specifically, the weakness has to be blamed on Elon Musk, who now runs both companies.

Confusion has reigned at the social media platform since the billionaire became owner and chief executive in late October. He has slashed the workforce and fought with high-profile users like bestselling author Stephen King. A big consequence of all the instability: Advertisers have pulled back on their spending.

Musk is vital to the Tesla brand—and his bad PR is Tesla’s bad PR.

A recession is possible, and that would hit consumer demand for Teslas. And who knows how Covid and price cuts will shake out in China.

But there is one variable that can stop, or at least slow, the Tesla stock slide: Elon Musk needs to get in a lane, in his management of Twitter—and stay there, driving the speed limit.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?