Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

On 4/25/2022 at 9:32 AM, wildcat09 said:

I don't think there's any connection in the modern world between financial success and NOT being a fraud. In many cases, massive fraud seems to be a major cause of a person's financial success.  Elon's a talented self promoter who occasionally (but not as often as advertised) actually follows through on some impulsive decisions and has, because of his resources, gotten away with a whole lot of shit (both just risky business-wise and stuff that is probably crimes) that other people never would've gotten away with. IS he a fraud? If you think someone is the worst that they do, the answer is obviously yes. If you think it's some balance between the worst they do and the best they do, maybe not. 

If he does buy Twitter, I need to find a book that will take bets on how long before he either implements a "no criticizing Elon or his companies" rule or charges extra for the right to do so.

I really should’ve found a bookie for this one.

At least I made ~$2,500 on the Astros last night.

On 11/5/2022 at 9:39 AM, immamac said:

Tech companies don't run like this. And especially not Twitter. There is extensive documentation for all of this and they don't run on "bare metal" in an unmanaged way they run without virtualization because their capacity needs far exceed what single servers demand. They are doing stuff at the scale of hundreds or thousands of servers in a distributed system. 

Thy are automatically deployed and managed. Big companies, sure. Not bona-fide tech companies.

I dunno, man.  I know for a fact an Austin tech company whose primary domain served top 10 levels of internet traffic at least as recently as 2015 had some mission critical legacy systems whose deployment process involved hand delivery of a USB stick.  I generally think you are right in that’s how the best tech orgs have come to run their operations, but there are a lot of skeletons in company closets out there.  I doubt Twitter keels over and dies from it, either.

43 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I really should’ve found a bookie for this one.

So, 1.3 million likes x $8 = $10.4 million a month.  Don't think that's gonna cut it.

We are probably 3 months away from Elon running a "telethon" and livestreaming it.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

16 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

If by slightly less you mean “went from seriously considering a vehicle to never touching a Tesla product if it puts one red cent in Elon’s pocket” then yes. 

This is where I'm at.  I know if you have to pick your battles with these corporations but there will be and are other alternatives that I can give my money too and not feel bad about it.

Ive already cut off a couple and don't really miss it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

I dunno, man.  I know for a fact an Austin tech company whose primary domain served top 10 levels of internet traffic at least as recently as 2015 had some mission critical legacy systems whose deployment process involved hand delivery of a USB stick.  I generally think you are right in that’s how the best tech orgs have come to run their operations, but there are a lot of skeletons in company closets out there.  I doubt Twitter keels over and dies from it, either.

Maybe we need a Y2K scenario every 5-10 years to force some companies to reconcile any potential tech issues.  I was a part of the Y2K group in our division at a previous employer around that time, and I spent a lot of my time on upgrading and cataloging networking and server infrastructure that wasn’t being properly tracked.  A lot of the stuff, we might have let fly (and did) especially a lot of token-ring stuff that didn’t need to be changed out print snd file and test servers running through old 486s running OS/2, etc. but damned did I come across a lot of situations where I’d ask some manager “who uses this” “just a few people” “so if it crashed in a year or two and the people who set it up were long gone, it would be no big deal” “oh shit 20 people in our department would have problems!”

Then again, our marketing department fucking spent millions on confusing ads with nuns to sell our software to banks, the government, various corporations, so maybe Elon is right about not needing advertising.

• Hook 'Em 2

For those who didn’t get my Curt Schilling comment, read up on Schilling and his 38 Studios, because this is giving off those vibes - somebody who succeeds in one area, baseball (or having PayPal money to invest in electric cars and a rocket company at the right time), whose hobby is video games (or shitposting on Twitter) and who then borrows a shitload of money (millions in Schilling’s case, billions in Musk’s) and proceeds to run a company tied to their hobby into the ground, even though that company had plenty of talent and had a revenue stream that wasn’t perfect but could have pulled through for everybody involved if the company was managed better.

Oh, and it all played out fairly publicly, because Schilling (Musk) couldn’t shut the fuck up about it and made sure everybody knew that he was an expert.

It completely wiped out Schilling’s baseball money, which was a lot.

Just read Press Reset: Ruin and Recovery in the Video Game Industry, the Forbes review is here.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Then again, our marketing department fucking spent millions on confusing ads with nuns to sell our software to banks, the government, various corporations, so maybe Elon is right about not needing advertising.

Elon views himself and his online activities to be the best possible advertising. Until now, it's been free and highly effective. He's been able to manipulate markets and inflate his own investments at will. 

A good comparison of what's happening to Elon is what's happening to aggy.

When relatively few people look closely at maladaptive behavior, it's easy to write it off as harmless eccentricity. 

Eventually though, narcissists can't help themselves. They push and push until they pass a threshold where everyone can see what they really are. 

Elon has lived his entire life in Fuckaroundtown, but he just moved to Findoutsville and hasn't grasped it yet. He'll always be a billionaire, but he will never again approach the level of adoration he's previously enjoyed.

Hope he likes hanging with the mouthbreathers. Doubt they will buy many Teslas though. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

O/U on how many hours Elon is sleeping* these days?

4?  

*I couldn't care less, and I'm sure there's some article somewhere that a fanboi can produce in an instant where Elon was interviewed and he said something like he sleeps 2-3 hours a day, and people clung to that like "Wow, sleep is so inefficient! Look at everything Elon can do by giving up sleep!" because Elon saying he gets by with as little sleep as possible is absolutely something that Elon would brag about.

**Seriously, I don't give a shit how much he sleeps a day.  For his sake, he needs a nice, healthy 8 hours or so. 

***Now this is something that, oh, I don't know, someone could tweet about.  Maybe they should.  Then again, it probably gets you the banhammer for talking about Dear Leader's sleep habits.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, F250 said:

We are several weeks away from Elon going full Charlie Sheen.

I was thinking more along the lines of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, where they print out a bigass list of everybody who insulted them on the internet, and they are traveling around the country beating them up.  Except he couldn’t beat up somebody if his life depended on it, so he’s just passively-aggressively making up new policies and probably banning people himself,  

Like Francisco 2.0 said, he’s not sleeping much these days,

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?