Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

7 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Watching him spend $44 billion dollars on Twitter and then destroy it is really fun to watch.

Good. Can someone buy Facebook, TikTok and SnapChat and do the same thing? Actually, TikTok and Snap will do. Zuckerberg is currently killing his own product without much help.

• Hook 'Em 4

Folks, they figured it out.

So the solution to show who is "official" is another colored checkmark.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/8/23448184/twitter-verification-official-checkmark-gray-blue

Twitter is rolling out another type of check mark to help distinguish accounts that users actually need to know are real. Although you can pay $7.99 per month for a blue check mark with the new version of Twitter Blue, select accounts for governments, companies, or public figures will get a gray “Official” check mark, according to a thread from Twitter’s Esther Crawford, who is heading up the new Twitter Blue initiative. 

“A lot of folks have asked about how you’ll be able to distinguish between @TwitterBlue subscribers with blue checkmarks and accounts that are verified as official, which is why we’re introducing the ‘Official’ label to select accounts when we launch,” Crawford says.

FhEz6ZHVsAAFVlI.jpeg

“Accounts that will receive it include government accounts, commercial companies, business partners, major media outlets, publishers and some public figures,” according to Crawford. Being previously verified doesn’t automatically mean you’ll get the new “Official” label, and you can’t buy the new label, meaning Twitter will be the one making the call on who gets to have it. (Perhaps people will be able to request to be verified, because that idea definitely didn’t cause any problems for Twitter in the past.)

Crawford shared a screenshot of the label on the profile page for the @Twitter account, but it’s not actually on the account yet, which isn’t too surprising given that Twitter Blue is reportedly launching on November 9th. And it’s unclear if the label will only be visible if you click through to a profile; hopefully there will be some way to easily see it while scrolling your timeline, where it will be a lot more useful.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/8/23448473/elon-musk-tesla-shares-sell-twitter

Elon Musk has sold another $3.4 billion in Tesla shares, according to a series of forms filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission today. Musk has offloaded almost $20 billion in Tesla shares this year, mostly to finance his $44 billion acquisition of Twitter.

Musk sold $8.4 billion in shares in April and another $6.9 billion in August. After his sales in April, he tweeted, “No further TSLA sales planned after today.” Then after the sales in August, he again said that he was done selling, and that those shares were offloaded in case he had to buy Twitter — at the time, he was embroiled in a lawsuit for attempting to back out of the deal.

Twitter has been struggling. Some major advertisers have paused spending on Twitter because of the change in control. A top ad exec, Sarah Personette, quit the day after Musk took over. Musk met with some advertisers himself, and the result was so bad that some execs shifted spending away from Twitter during the meeting, Vox Media’sKara Swisher reported. Some of Musk’s comments and actions around moderation on Twitter have made advertisers particularly skittish. Twitter isn’t profitable and relies on advertising for the vast majority of its revenue. It will also have to pay roughly $1 billion a year in interest on the debt Musk took out in order to buy it.

One way Musk can make sure his loans are paid, regardless of Twitter’s advertising business, is to pay them himself. William Cohan at Puck has suggested that Musk paying the interest himself is a likely outcome. But to do that, Musk needs cash, and to get cash, he has to sell Tesla shares.

19 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

What a complete clown show

Yep.  You know what markets -- ALL markets, but esp. including advertisers -- love above all else?  Certainty.

Do any of us have any idea what Twitter will look like an hour from now, a day from now, a month from now?  Nope?  Well then....I think I'll keep my advertising dollars in my pocket for a while longer.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Announcement from Elon:  Twitter will now have 3 possible check marks.

1. Blue checkmark for my loyal paid subscribers who have paid $7.99 per month, or $0.50 per month in the case of Stephen King.

2. Red checkmarks indicating I have accused you of being a pedophile.

3. Sad face emoji checkmarks for people who are totally not being cool right now but who I think would really like me if they just got to know me and gave me a chance.

Probably oughta put a timestamp on that, being that it will completely change within 24 hours.

18 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Folks, they figured it out.

So the solution to show who is "official" is another colored checkmark.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/8/23448184/twitter-verification-official-checkmark-gray-blue

FhEz6ZHVsAAFVlI.jpeg

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Called it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Imagine being Esther Crawford right now after being asked to implement Elon's fix for Elon's original fuck up, going on record with his fix, then having Elon kill his fix, which was another fuckup.

When she leaves, what yes person does he install next?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  You know what markets -- ALL markets, but esp. including advertisers -- love above all else?  Certainty.

Do any of us have any idea what Twitter will look like an hour from now, a day from now, a month from now?  Nope?  Well then....I think I'll keep my advertising dollars in my pocket for a while longer.

Apparently, Elon doesn't either.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

"please note that I will do lots of dumb things in the coming months...'

FIFElon

Normally there would be a robust process around new product/discovery involving users, advertisers, and dozens of departments within Twitter. But this timeline ain't normal. It's just Elon in a manic state screaming 'DO THIS!'...'FUCK, TAKE IT DOWN!'

It's like eschewing any outside feedback on public policy initiatives, watching some interview with a nutjob on OANN and then just announcing them at 1AM on twitter while whacked out on adderall.

53 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Apparently, Elon doesn't either.

36 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

"please note that I will do lots of dumb things in the coming months...'

FIFElon

Normally there would be a robust process around new product/discovery involving users, advertisers, and dozens of departments within Twitter. But this timeline ain't normal. It's just Elon in a manic state screaming 'DO THIS!'...'FUCK, TAKE IT DOWN!'

It's like eschewing any outside feedback on public policy initiatives, watching some interview with a nutjob on OANN and then just announcing them at 1AM on twitter while whacked out on adderall.

This is fucking amazing.  This is taking standard software and website development practices and just chucking them out the window.  If I’m making changes to a niche website that has around 50,000 active visitors every month, I’m still careful as shit. And by the time the changes roll out, they’ve been tested, documented, and if they impact the users, info has been posted in advance informing them.

Elon is doing this with a site that has hundreds of millions of visitors.

Elon Musk is from the Bill O’Reilly school of FUCK IT WE’LL DO IT LIVE.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

no no you don't understand (but how would you if you haven't owned a Tesla before 😎) - Twitter can deliver features now that don't even come in a box. Like, you don't have to go to the computer store to get your new features - it just appears like magic (or in a Tesla!) once or twice (even three times maybe!) in a month. They just show up!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

What a complete clown show

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

nothing like "we are doing to do dumb shit" to get advertisers to come back in droves.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

Jack Dorsey was simultaneously the CEO of Twitter and the CEO of Square, a payment company. Does someone not think that he at one point pondered the idea of a partnership if not merger of the two? My guess is that it made little sense trying to turn Twitter into a payment platform, other than infrequent use cases like tipping a content creator.

• Like 1

• Robin has been w/ TWTR for over a decade
  • Yoel Roth who is dir of trust and safety
  • Elon, new CEO ("our Ceo, chief twit and what else are you calling yourself today?" EM:"complaint hotline. listening to concerns and trying to address them"
  • Robin - to all our content partners, our commitment to all of you has not changed. our teams are out there still in place and are committed and dedicated...to the place you know and love
  • policies around brand safety have not changed.
  • "as i've said in some of my tweets...want to be in rigorous pursuit of truth. to be in the business of truth. truth can be sometimes a nebulous concept...even if we can't be there completely trying to is a worthwhile endeavor" - "this is why it is important to get as many people as possible verified"

i was going to do the whole thing but i am like 8 min in and i'm done.

Elon is *not* a good public speaker. Every time they put him out in front of things it is not going to be a win for the company or for the future of the company. He is the very definition of a loose cannon, you literally can't set him up to say (or not say) specific things. putting him in front of brands has a way higher chance of running them off/scaring the hell out of them than it does reassuring anyone.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/elon-musk-twitter-advertisers-town-hall-1235258781/

he doubles down on wanting brands to tweet at him if they have concerns? which is fucking dumb. if i am spending $$$ with TWTR on ads i am reaching out to the people who can make a difference not reach out to someone whose last 3 tweets have 20.7k, 66.5k and 50.7k replies.

“It stands to reason that if someone is advertising, then they do not want inappropriate content [next to their ads],” Musk said. “We are going to work hard that there is not, like, bad stuff right next to an ad, which doesn’t serve anyone any good.”

honestly i think he absolutely does not get it because of things like this:

As for video, Musk said that “video is definitely an area where Twitter has been historically weak, and an area where we intend to invest significantly.”

Instead of simply reviving Vine, Musk says they want to launch a “Vine-like thing reimagined for the future.” Verified users will soon be able to upload 10 minutes of high-definition video, which will expand to 42 minutes in the near future, and eventually hundreds of hours of video content.

literally no one says "you know what i want more of on twitter, more videos" - i have an almost 25 year old twitter account. i have literally never gone to twitter to see video, not a single time. there are other apps out there with better product for "live" content (youtube, twitch) or historical/recorded content (YT, twitch) or short form content (YT, tiktok, insta) or long form content (YT, any streaming service) or "limited time" content (snap, insta, etc.) i have even gone to linkedin for a livestream before.

twitter having a 100% better video program/service will not move the needle. it will however cost a ton of money and resources that could go into literally anything else. sure, revive Vine. maybe that will make a difference, but at this point you are *so* far behind instagram/FB, snapchat, tiktok, YT shorts that you have a monumental mountain to climb. in case people are curious or forgot twitter had their own video platform in Periscope and that did so poorly it was shut down on 3/31/21 and folded into twitter.

so to be clear, the long term goal is to deprioritize all users who do not pay $8 per month, while not offering anywhere close to $8 in value per month.

right now, here is what you get with twitter blue at its current introductory price of $8 per month

image.thumb.png.6fdaed0f9a8ba41111a7dc7fa7dbd419.png

these are Labs features that you get right now:

image.png.5a2f02db61ef476e8c214cd6d4027450.png

i don't think any of that is worth $1 a month, much less $8. i don't see them making the argument that any of that is worth $8 a month.

eventually they are going to prioritize paid users in search, results, DMs, etc. if i mainly use it to read and tweet at/with a small list of friends does it really matter? if i am out there as one of say 5-10 people responding to a tweet...then who cares if it is prioritized?

the more i look at this it's more of a RD aggy style deep dive into something tiny, but i just don't get what the hell they are doing as a company or the direction they are trying to go. they aren't calming advertisers, they are trying to get people to pay for something that makes no sense for 90%? of users and they have the very definition of a loose cannon as their CEO.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Jack Dorsey was simultaneously the CEO of Twitter and the CEO of Square, a payment company. Does someone not think that he at one point pondered the idea of a partnership if not merger of the two? My guess is that it made little sense trying to turn Twitter into a payment platform, other than infrequent use cases like tipping a content creator.

It makes sense when you remember that Elon understands how to take a cut of a financial transaction, but doesn't understand how advertising and marketing works.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

This isn’t good either 

So Elon is blaming activists and wanting to shame/name advertisers for stepping away from Twitter.

How long before he starts blaming activists on the dropping share price of Tesla, and shaming/naming of institutional shareholders for reducing their Tesla holdings?

Elon wants CMOs to trust him that their brands won’t end up next to nazi tweets that include the n-word? Why would they trust him.

Really bad look for Elon to go begging to the advertisers. And telling them about future enhancements with video or whatever? They’ll only care about that in the future if/when Twitter has more users and engagement. And less chaos.

Elon might turn Twitter into the top social media platform but he’s going to have to do it with less revenue.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Dear Leader finally speaks to the proletariat:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-11-10/musk-s-first-email-to-twitter-staff-ends-remote-work?stream=top

New Twitter Inc. owner Elon Musk emailed his workers for the first time late Wednesday to prepare them for “difficult times ahead” and ban remote work unless he personally approved it.

Musk said there was “no way to sugarcoat the message” about the economic outlook and how it will affect an advertising-dependent company like Twitter, according to the email reviewed by Bloomberg News. The new rules, which kick in immediately, will expect employees to be in the office for at least 40 hours per week, he added.

Twitter has been under Musk’s leadership for close to two weeks, in which time he has dismissed roughly half its workforce and most of its executive suite. The new boss has upped the price for the Twitter Blue subscription to $8 and attached user verification to it. Musk told workers in the email that he wants to see subscriptions account for half of Twitter’s revenue.

Prior to Musk’s arrival, Twitter had established a permanent work-from-anywhere arrangement for its workers, many of whom had initially been pushed into remote work by the pandemic. It was one of the first topics in an all-hands call Musk held with Twitter staff after announcing the deal to buy the company earlier in the year. He said then that he’s against remote work and would only grant exceptions on a case-by-case basis, as he’s doing now.

He has also eliminated “days of rest” from Twitter staff calendars, Bloomberg News reported this month, which was a monthly, companywide day off introduced during the pandemic period. Its expiration gave another sign of Musk’s impatience with Twitter’s existing work culture.

“The road ahead is arduous and will require intense work to succeed,” Musk wrote in his missive to employees. In a separate email, he added that “over the next few days, the absolute top priority is finding and suspending any verified bots/trolls/spam.”

• Haha 1

I’ll never understand the hatred of WFH for industries that can support it.  Obviously if you’re working the line at Tesla, on an engineering team at SpaceX, or otherwise close to some kind of manufacturing/assembly then it’s a requirement.  Maybe it suites his vanity or he’s using anecdotal experience, regardless I think he’s wrong for blanket policies.  

You’d think shifting the infrastructure costs onto your employees would be a good way to save money, especially at a place like Twitter with no hard product.    I bet they see more brain drain. 

Thankfully my employer has a long history of enabling remote work, and is on the record as being comfortable with a hybrid capability.  The few times I’ve gone into the office there is a mix of people practically in PJs and others in full suites, and if it is what works best for them…great.  There’s been no decline in corporate performance.  

• Hook 'Em 6

I work from home the majority of the week and love it, but I disagree that performance is the same. Individual work can be the same but I've noticed a problem with the following:

• too many meetings with 30 in attendance. That rarely would have occurred in the past with in-person meetings. If only due to lack of room space.
  • Collaboration can more time with virtual meetings
  • Lose of random conversations in the hallway or stopping by someone's office. I've seen many improvements start due to a chance conversation between 2 people.
  • and yes, there are some people that do less work from being at home.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

On the WFH issue, it’s becoming a really stark divide for employers.  It’s my org’s number three reason for people leaving and it’s so dumb.  As long as the work can be done remotely I cannot understand the need to make people commute and sit in a communal office.  

I could give a shit what he does to Twitter but guarantee this pushes programmers and other star talent to look elsewhere (assuming any is left).

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

On the WFH issue, it’s becoming a really stark divide for employers.  It’s my org’s number three reason for people leaving and it’s so dumb.  As long as the work can be done remotely I cannot understand the need to make people commute and sit in a communal office.  

Do you not care about company culture, bro?  This cold pizza, on the last Friday of every month, isn't going to eat itself. Don't forget to make up that time at the end of the day. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

I could give a shit what he does to Twitter but guarantee this pushes programmers and other star talent to look elsewhere (assuming any is left).

It's really pretty crazy how much it's tearing some orgs apart trying to pull everyone back in. Engineers and developers will go the extra mile for you if they can do it from wherever they prefer to be. Hell, I'm gonna be in Mexico in a couple weeks and won't have to take time off while traveling visiting friends! Who cares wherever I am, so long as I can get connected to the VPN I'm in business.

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Elon runs his companies like a Chinese sweatshop. Put in your 16 hours a day, 6-7 days a week and after a year, dear leader will decide if you get to keep your job with no raise.  I can't imagine choosing to work at any of his companies.

Purely anectdotal.-

When we moved to Waco my wife was contacted by SpaceX. It's not what she wants to do but interviewed and talked to I think 2 other people who worked there.

They both said the money was good but it's no way to go through life. There's no work life balance. Never see your family. Always stressed. 

I'm not sure how long they worked there but they were happy to get out.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Purely anectdotal.-

When we moved to Waco my wife was contacted by SpaceX. It's not what she wants to do but interviewed and talked to I think 2 other people who worked there.

They both said the money was good but it's no way to go through life. There's no work life balance. Never see your family. Always stressed. 

I'm not sure how long they worked there but they were happy to get out.

That seems to be the word on the street re both Tesla and SpaceX (in fairness, they're not the ONLY places that get such reviews).  But if your job has a significant element of "yeah, you work to hard for the pay and are personally miserable....but if you drink the Kool-aid and worship the CEO, it feels better," that's gonna limit your pool of talent.

Gee, imagine that.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/10/23451198/twitter-ftc-elon-musk-lawyer-changes-fine-warning

Twitter’s privacy and security team is in turmoil after Elon Musk’s changes to the service bypassed the company’s standard data governance processes. The company’s chief privacy officer Damien Kieran, chief information security officer Lea Kissner, and chief compliance officer Marianne Fogarty have all resigned, according to two sources and an internal message seen by The Verge. Kissner confirmed her departure in a tweet.

In a note posted to Twitter’s Slack and viewable to all staff, an attorney on the company’s privacy team wrote that “Elon has shown that his only priority with Twitter users is how to monetize them. I do not believe he cares about the human rights activists. the dissidents, our users in un-monetizable regions, and all the other users who have made Twitter the global town square you have all spent so long building, and we all love.”

One of the main issues appears to be the FTC settlement Twitter agreed to in May after getting caught personal user info to target ads. If Twitter doesn’t comply with that agreement, the FTC can issue fines reaching into the billions of dollars, according to the note. The note goes on to say that the writer has “heard Alex Spiro (current head of Legal) say that Elon is willing to take on a huge amount of risk in relation to this company and its users, because ‘Elon puts rockets into space, he’s not afraid of the FTC.’”

Spoiler

Elon’s new legal department is also apparently asking engineers to “self-certify” compliance with FTC rules and other privacy laws. “I anticipate that all of you will de pressured by management into pushing out changes that will likely lead to major incidents,” the lawyer wrote in the message to colleagues, which you can read below.

Here’s part of the internal Slack message sent by a leader on Twitter's legal team:

Over the last two weeks. Elon has shown that he cares only about recouping the losses he’s incurring as a result of failing to get out of his binding obligation to buy Twitter. He chose to enter into that agreement! All of us are being put through this as a result of the choices he made. 

Elon has shown that his only priority with Twitter users is how to monetize them. I do not believe he cares about the human rights activists. the dissidents, our users in un-monetizable regions, and all the other users who have made Twitter the global town square you have all spent so long building, and we all love.

I have heard Alex Spiro (current head of Legal) say that Elon is willing to take on a huge amount of risk in relation to this company and its users, because “Elon puts rockets into space, he’s not afraid of the FTC.” I have heard another leader in the Legal department say that because of the tight SLA’s (of two weeks?!) between product inception > launch, Legal will “have to shift the burden to engineers” to self-certify compliance with FTC requirements and other laws. This will put huge amount of personal, professional and legal risk onto engineers: I anticipate that all of you will de pressured by management into pushing out changes that will likely lead to major incidents. 

All of this is extremely dangerous for our users. Also, given that the FTC can (and will!) fine Twitter BILLIONS of dollars pursuant to the FTC Consent Order, extremely detrimental to Twitter’s longevity as a platform. Our users deserve so much better than this.

If you feel uncomfortable about anything you’re being asked to do, you can call Twitter’s Ethics Hotline at (800) 275-4843 or submit a report at ethicshelpline.twitter.com. Please also note the FTC’s number is: 1-877-FTC-HELP. You may also remember that Mudge reached out to httos://whistlebloweraid.org

I wish you all luck. It’s been such an honor to work with all of you. And I’ll be taking a day of PTO today.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I work from home the majority of the week and love it, but I disagree that performance is the same. Individual work can be the same but I've noticed a problem with the following:

• too many meetings with 30 in attendance. That rarely would have occurred in the past with in-person meetings. If only due to lack of room space.
  • Collaboration can more time with virtual meetings
  • Lose of random conversations in the hallway or stopping by someone's office. I've seen many improvements start due to a chance conversation between 2 people.
  • and yes, there are some people that do less work from being at home.

Fair enough, obviously everyone’s experience is different and a bit unique based on a myriad of factors across the company. 

- We always had a lot of folks on the phone, even for in-person meetings…life of a global footprint 

- I’ve found this to be true…but it depends on who I am working with.  Someone who likes to be chatty, or is lonely?  Then it’s gonna drag on because there’s no one knocking on the room door to kick you out.  

- Can totally see missing hallway chats…my own team was hybrid for years, are all long-tenured and got to establish personal relationships before Covid.  We are comfortable using Teams to throw shit against the walls and waiting for feedback.  Obviously not all teams are like that.  

- I personally feel more productive, but I don’t really work hours anymore…if I’m busy I’ll focus and bust ass…if I’m not I’m taking a nap, and am more recharged for when it’s full tilt boogie time.  

I’ve got two young kiddos so I get Daddy’d to death regularly, so very much enjoy a quiet house to recharge in my own way.  I also eat better, save gas/wear on my car, shit in peace, etc.  

My point isn’t really pro/con, it’s more being a proponent for organic policies that suit the unique needs of individual people…not paying blanket policies that pigeonhole people based on perceptions of execs I have never met.  Sorta like my political stance.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?