Truck Nuts

BurntOrange&White

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Answered two weeks before you asked. 

Well.... Two great minds think a like.  What can I say?   Although that former Pontiac Exec might not be such a great mine because he was in on the sinking of the Pontiac brand and GM as whole with POS designs like the Aztec.   Looks like GM might be on the same path.   

21 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

I like what Ford has done with the new Ranger so I'm hopeful they won't screw up the Bronco. They've turned the Explorer into such a soft grocery getting crossover and they need the Bronco to be a bit beefier. 

I agree.  I've only seen pics of the new  Ranger.  But I've seen the newer design in Mexico  that kind of looks like what Ford is bringing back to the states and I thought it looked sharp.  I still wonder why Ford decided to cease production here?  I almost got a Tacoma last year, but wasn't quite ready to downsize so I went with a new F-150.  However the Ranger or Bronco will be on my list for 2021 when it's time to purchase again.  

There are many reviews of the new Ranger on YouTube. Ford has already had press test drives and the reporting embargo is over so they are free to post their thoughts. 

Overall what I've seen are positive reviews that put it right there with Tacoma. 

The one glaring negative in the reviews has been that Ford rates it as a best in class towing vehicle at 7500 pounds with the tow package, but they do not include a built in trailer brake controller. You can get a dealer installed controller that mounts to the console but it isn't integrated into the dash. 

Considering several states have laws where you can't tow above 1500 or 3000 pounds without brakes it's pretty bad that it isn't in the truck since towing is going to be a big part of their advertisements. 

Edited by Hawndoh

The Colorado/Canyon started offering an integrated controller I think in 2017.

Ford is offering adaptive cruise, lane drift warning, and all that other kind of safety driver aids, it just seems odd that in 2019 they wouldn't include possibly the most helpful safety feature in the tow package. Especially since they already have controllers for the Expedition, F150, and Superduty. 

And given one of their primary competitors is already doing it. 

I know it's coming but they need to hurry up and offer a 6 ft bed in a crew cab.

Also really wish they would put the shifter on the column (or a dash dial like the Ram) to free up more console space in these cramped mid size trucks.

Edited by smuggs

3 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

There are many reviews of the new Ranger on YouTube. Ford has already had press test drives and the reporting embargo is over so they are free to post their thoughts. 

Overall what I've seen are positive reviews that put it right there with Tacoma.

We won't know if it's right there with Tacoma for at least 10 years.  Or at least until there's a shit-ton of them running around at 250,000+ miles.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Your Mom said:

We won't know if it's right there with Tacoma for at least 10 years.  Or at least until there's a shit-ton of them running around at 250,000+ miles.

Are you the asshat at JD Power that gives awards to NEW VEHICLES for Reliability?  GM's commercials are really getting on my nerves with that crap, among others.  We had a good run back about a decade ago, so we got a reliability award for our previous platform, but have since upgraded the frame, motor, and body.  Tell me again how a longevity / reliability award conveys to a new platform just because the name of said vehicle matches something from a few years back?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Tacomas have fantastic resale values for sure.  Even better than some of the full size trucks at comparable age and mileage.   I didn't realize how good they were on the used market until I was looking for a small pickup for my oldest back in 2013 for his first vehicle.  Between the Ranger, Taco, and Nissan Frontier,  the Taco was hands down the best in the resale market and they could have thousands of more miles than the Ranger and Frontiers I was looking at and 2 or 3 years older too.  I ended up getting him a used F-150.

They will last forever here in the states and then end up in the Middle East.  If you use it as a company vehicle, make sure your logo is off before you trade it in because it will more than likely end up in that part of the world and it's the preferred vehicle of ISIS, Hezbollah, and Al Qaeda.    Just sayin......

51 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Are you the asshat at JD Power that gives awards to NEW VEHICLES for Reliability?  GM's commercials are really getting on my nerves with that crap, among others.  We had a good run back about a decade ago, so we got a reliability award for our previous platform, but have since upgraded the frame, motor, and body.  Tell me again how a longevity / reliability award conveys to a new platform just because the name of said vehicle matches something from a few years back?

GM lost me as customer again last year, and probably forever this time.   My wife got a new Yukon back in 2014 (2015 model) and it looked great and drove well.  It was a little too cramped in the back third row, so it was hardly used by my kids.   Anyhow it everything was going well until right after 36k miles on it, they A/C went to crap.   Good thing I bought the extended warranty on it as I got it fixed, but it took two trips to the dealer to get it fixed.   My previous experiences  with GM vehicles in 90's were the same with A/C,  alternators, and batteries going out in them right after the standard warranty expired and back then I didn't have the extended warranty.   I had another back in early 2000's when my wife and I were on a road trip up in the hill country and the darn fuel pump went out on Saturday with 21k on it.   That was fun trying to find a rental car and tow truck to come get you.   At least GM had the roadside assistance thing and that helped, but it sucked it all occurred on a Saturday and sort of ruined the day.  The F-150's I've driven since then have never given me issues other than the routine stuff.  

Why  I allowed her to talk me into the Yukon is beyond me, but she is now off the GM wagon  too.  She's driving a Honda Pilot now, but is looking at something a little more sporty and non soccer mom like, maybe a BMW or MB SUV.  Personally I like the look of the new Jag SUV's, but have no idea about the quality.   We will be minus another one of our three kids as he leaves to college next year, so space will less of an issue as far as a "family vehicle."  

If I ever get another Tacoma, I will never sell it. Lesson learned. F150 is okay, but at 60,000 miles I just replaced the fuel pump, then discovered it needed new O2 sensors and that weird rattling sound was the throttle body. I think the fucked up recall with the drivetrain started the ball rolling on everything else going south, but that's just like my opinion man.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dewey said:

If I ever get another Tacoma, I will never sell it. Lesson learned. F150 is okay, but at 60,000 miles I just replaced the fuel pump, then discovered it needed new O2 sensors and that weird rattling sound was the throttle body. I think the fucked up recall with the drivetrain started the ball rolling on everything else going south, but that's just like my opinion man.

2016 Expedition has the rattle. 

19 hours ago, smuggs said:

I know it's coming but they need to hurry up and offer a 6 ft bed in a crew cab.

Also really wish they would put the shifter on the column (or a dash dial like the Ram) to free up more console space in these cramped mid size trucks.

Last year, I bought a bare-bones 2014 F150 regular cab with a column shifter. I didn't realize how much I had missed it, it's so great. 

Anyone put a stubby antenna on?  I’m wondering how reception is affected. 

I picked up what they had at O’Reilly and have had no issues around DFW. That said, there are only a few terrestrial stations I listen to regularly. Not certain exactly which one I have, but it looks like this and is from the same store...soooooo.....bunk beds?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/dorman-help--4422/hardware---fasteners-16585/body---trim-16771/antennas---components-25119/antenna-11160/e77c43f34685/dorman-help-antenna/76002/5344367?q=Antenna+mast&pos=2

If you use it as a company vehicle, make sure your logo is off before you trade it in because it will more than likely end up in that part of the world and it's the preferred vehicle of ISIS, Hezbollah, and Al Qaeda.    Just sayin......

This Texas City plumber found out the hard way. cfa3b686c5846c9585320e32ca48af87.jpg
  • Haha 1

Looking for some suggestions, and forgive me if this has been discussed already.  I have a 2013 Tacoma crew cab with the short bed.  I have a truxedo lowpro cover and want to add some storage that will fit under the cover.  I was hoping for something similar to the TruXedo TonneauMate (which I would have bought, but they don't make for the Tacoma).  I was looking at this one also, but feel its a couple hundred bucks too expensive (but I may have to give in).

dee_zee_padlock_utility_chest_toolbox_op

So any suggestions?  I don't have a lot of bed space to begin with, so like the idea of the utility box being removed easily, or like the TonneauMate was off the bed floor so that lumber would slide underneath it.

I don't know anything about accessories for Tacomas, but I will say that quality, features, and convenience of use have become a lot more important to me, compared to price, as I've gotten older.  There's an old saying that I've found is a lot easier to live by, "Do it right, do it once."  Just my $0.02! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 5:47 PM, Gale Snoats said:

picked up a new suburban recently and would like to get it leveled (maybe lifted but probably just leveled).  any suggestions for someone to do that work in Austin?

If you're willing to drive down to SA head over to Blackjack Speed Shop 35 location, the manager is my brother and can get you a great deal on parts and labor with a quick turnaround time. PM me if you want his info.

They did the lift/tires on my '15 Sierra

so26nc.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 7:10 PM, Mother mopar said:

Anybody had any luck using smarty or smarty jr programmers on ram trucks...particularly diesels. Seem to be better than edge and do not leave a digital footprint on your ECM.

Looking for thoughts on programmers before I spend $$$

Friends of mine with dodges all run them.  They are highly regarded...the smarty’s and my friends. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 1

I'm looking at a new F150 trading in my Ram.
Can y'all share some pros and cons of the 5.0 vs the 3.5 ecoboost?

Eco has the torque, but how is the rest of the motor and MPG?
The  coyote 5.0 looks like a solid motor, but don't know anything really about it.

Edited by TXLNGHRN10

39 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

I'm looking at a new F150 trading in my Ram.
Can y'all share some pros and cons of the 5.0 vs the 3.5 ecoboost?

Eco has the torque, but how is the rest of the motor and MPG?
The  coyote 5.0 looks like a solid motor, but don't know anything really about it.

It’s mostly personal preference and what you use it for. I’ve gone with the Ecoboost in my last two trucks primarily because I tow quite a bit and prefer the responsiveness of the twin turbo. The 5.0 sounds like a truck and from what I’ve heard gets better mileage on the highway. Either are fine and you should just drive both to see which you prefer. I’ll be looking at trading again this summer and will probably look hard at the diesel because I run a lot of highway miles and as I mentioned tow quite a bit. I’ll lose the fun to drive factor of the 3.5, but at 25k-30k miles a year on average the highway mileage is a pretty big deal.

I'm probably going the 5.0 route myself in the near future.  I've gotten to the point where the less moving parts involved, the less to worry about.  Ecoboost has at least one turbo, and having just had some turbo work done on the 250, I'd rather have the 5.0 (not to mention I had the coyote in my Mustang, and that damn thing was a torque monster).  But note that the F series Coyote is tuned down and pretty sure the cam and heads are different between the F series and the Mustang.  

3 hours ago, LebongJames said:

I consistently get 20 with my EcoBoost on the highway but I get 12-13 towing a 5K lbs RV.

You and I definitely do not drive alike. I am at around a 15.0 MPG average over the 40k miles on my truck. A lot of that is made up of highway miles where it will get around 16-17 at best. Switching to a larger AT tire did drop it, but I don’t know how much of a difference it made.

It’s probably just me, as I’ve never owned a sports car or road bike, but I don’t see how those of you with the ecoboost don’t get unnerved with the high revs on them.  Best friend has one, drives it around like he’s in a Lambo or something. It feels pretty peppy, but everytime I look over at the tach and he’s at 4k or better (when it feels peppy).   I drive a 3/4 ton diesel and it’s been aloooong time since it’s been above 2k (without a stout trailer hooked up). I guess I just drive like an old man.  But even getting the wife’s Denali above 3500 or so just gives me anxiety.  I couldn’t imagine a bike or high revving Italian job. I’d have the most carboned up Ferrari on the planet lulz. 

I had a 2012 ecoboost, and went with the V8 when I traded it in for a 2017. I know the eco has come a long way since 2012, but I only got about 1-2 mpg better with the eco, and my V8 has 35" tires on it. I don't tow a trailer often, but regularly have a full bed. ymmv but I'm happy with my decision

• Like 1

I test drove both. I had a great experience at RIATA. There are some good deals on 2018s. Especially the 5.0s
I ended up getting the 3.5 ecoboost. Even though I could get the 5.0 cheaper, I loved the way 3.5 responded. Instant throw you back in the seat power. 

The last thing I needed was a new truck payment, but I was starting to get uneasy with my Ram. I was starting to get misfire codes when I put it under a load. I replaced spark plugs and coils. Didn't change. There is an issue they have with stuck lifteres grinding down the cam lobes and I was fearful that was happening.

• Like 1

Nice truck, Tx.

I love the way the 3.5 eco feels, too.  And it's awesome towing, way more responsive than every V8 I've ever used, though admittedly I have no experience towing with the Ford 5.0.  Only a test drive where the Ford V8 felt pretty sluggish compared to the 3.5eco with no load.

That's why I love the 5.7 in my Tundra, also there's no technology in the engine. I've never loved a vehicle like I do this tundra, 6 months in on my first one.

I have a 2017 TRD Pro. Love mine as well. The only thing I changed was getting bigger tires and added a bed cover. My goal is to keep it 9 more years.
  • Like 1

I've had my last two vehicles 12 years each..  Both were SUVs by GM.  Your Toyota should easily make 9.5. :)

Cars and trucks are made so much better now, than they were in the late 70s/80s.  My first car was a 1981 Dodge Omni.  What a POS.  Then a 1986 Chrysler Laser Turbo which I loved, but also had to replace the alternator three times and the plastic radiator was nothing but JB Weld by the time I'd had it for 4 years.  

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

That's why I love the 5.7 in my Tundra, also there's no technology in the engine. I've never loved a vehicle like I do this tundra, 6 months in on my first one.

I was going down to Seadrift a couple weeks ago, and pulled out to pass an 18 wheeler. When I drop the hammer it just jumps, even with the boat in tow. My cousin, who drives a RAM was really impressed with the acceleration. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I have a 2017 TRD Pro. Love mine as well. The only thing I changed was getting bigger tires and added a bed cover. My goal is to keep it 9 more years.

Shouldn’t be an issue at all. I’m on year 10 on mine and plan to go a few more years. Just did first set of brakes at 205k or so, and replaced a sticky thermostat, but other than that’s it’s been change the batteries every 5 years, tires every 12-18 months, and drive.   People tire of their vehicles long before they actually wear out these days 

• Like 2