Texas (+7.5) @ Baylor- 8pm on ESPN

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

If Abmas isn't putting up 28 or so pts in the first 30 minutes of the game where is the scoring coming from?

They defended fairly well for the first half then went to sleep defensively in the 2nd half. They had a double digit lead with a little over 11 minutes left In the game and were down double digits with a minute+ left.

These are the dumbest arguments. Yes, one of the best players for Texas had to play well to give Texas a chance to win. You can’t just remove his performance and then ask what would happen. Good players impact winning. It’s not just a Texas thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

If Abmas isn't putting up 28 or so pts in the first 30 minutes of the game where is the scoring coming from?

They defended fairly well for the first half then went to sleep defensively in the 2nd half. They had a double digit lead with a little over 11 minutes left In the game and were down double digits with a minute+ left.

You know little to next to nothing about basketball. You've made that increasingly apparent the past couple days. Why people like you think that anyone wants to hear your dipshit ramblings about a sport you understand nothing about baffles me. You should go check how many posts I have on the tennis and F1 threads. None. Because I don't watch those sports and I don't know anything about them and I'm not a fucking hack. 

Please shut the fuck up about this basketball team or any Texas basketball team for that matter and go back to picking your own dickcheese.

I just had to watch potentially the best win of the season turn into potentially, effectively, the end of Texas' season and you come in here postgame like a flaming idiot spouting inanities with the confidence of Rick Pitino acting like we didn't lose one of the best 3 players in the fucking conference with 10 minutes to play. 

Holy shit you are a fucking beating. I'm putting you on ignore now. Go fuck yourself, reevaluate your life, and shut the fuck up about shit you are clueless about. 

I'm going to bed. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

wtf.  The game only 40 minutes 

1 free chance at a point every minute. That’s some bull shit. 

You’re not going to shoot a lot of free throws when you don’t attack the basket. This program for damn near 15 years tries to be a finesse outside shooting program, and that’s because of the type of athletes we are able to recruit. 

I’ve always said I think you can have a good mix of shooters like Abmas but this program needs more dawgs a la PJ Tucker. That should be our basketball brand, and it’s not and hasn’t been.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, texastroubadour said:

Ghost of Grant Teaff

Some of us said during football season the Rig 12 Refs would show their hand during basketball.   Not surprised at all.   I knew we were about to get screwed in that game when the Ref reviewed the play that it appeared a rebound didn’t hit the rim and the shot clock got reset.   

We have a baseball series at Lubbock this weekend.   Keep an eye on the Rig 12 Umps in this one.  

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Some of us said during football season the Rig 12 Refs would show their hand during basketball.   Not surprised at all.   I knew we were about to get screwed in that game when the Ref reviewed the play that it appeared a rebound didn’t hit the rim and the shot clock got reset.   

We have a baseball series at Lubbock this weekend.   Keep an eye on the Rig 12 Umps in this one.  

2 of the 3 refs in the game will be reffing us again in the SEC next year. The Big 12 had nothing to do with anything. It’s like yall are purposely trying to be dumb.

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I knew we were about to get screwed in that game when the Ref reviewed the play that it appeared a rebound didn’t hit the rim and the shot clock got reset.   

No No Fran explained it to us. Fran knows everything and is always right. Fran is not sucking up to the remaining B12 to keep his contract.  

As I think about it more, that verbal diarrhea going through Fran's head and into his mouth is the same process these B12 refs have in their minds.

Now Texas didn't lose just because of suck officiating, they lost because they couldn't maintain white hot shooting and as much as there is a consensual Longhorn dislike of Drew, he is a better coach than RT and makes better adjustments most of the time. That happened in the second half.

We played a nearly flawless first half and Baylor hung around thanks to Bridges and FT shooting. I didn’t think we would hold on, but losing Disu is just a real downer. He absolutely had to give us some minutes last night - Shedrick/Onyema are not beating any decent team. I’ve seen a few comments saying Disu shouldn’t have been playing in the first place, which is really a moronic take, IMO. Nobody can foresee a non-contact knee injury.

1 hour ago, KingBobo81 said:

We played a nearly flawless first half and Baylor hung around thanks to Bridges and FT shooting. I didn’t think we would hold on, but losing Disu is just a real downer. He absolutely had to give us some minutes last night - Shedrick/Onyema are not beating any decent team. I’ve seen a few comments saying Disu shouldn’t have been playing in the first place, which is really a moronic take, IMO. Nobody can foresee a non-contact knee injury.

Did he not step on the defender’s foot?

I was at the game. The first half was one of the best performances I have ever seen from a Texas team. Just incredible. But then you look at the scoreboard and we were only up by single digits. It was inevitable.

Once the outside shots stopped falling, like they always do, you have to be able to work it inside. We HAD to have Disu to close this one out. The team knew it. The fans knew it. When he went down it was over.

And as an aside, Disu is going to have to learn to stay out of foul trouble. Other teams take it right at him constantly knowing that he is going to foul.

It is too bad we won’t get to play in that arena again. If I’m honest, I like it better for hoops than Moody.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Sal said:

Terry doesn't teach rebounding, defense, or make adjustments. He has a 40% hit rate out of the portal and loves the scrubs from low D1 teams. He gets his ass kicked by Scott Drew. I understand we aren't just going to fire him right away, but this is what I expected when we hired him, and I don't see that changing. We just aren't fundamentally sound. 

That effort when Disu went down was embarrassing. I'm not going to blame free throw disparity when I have seen the Big 12 refs do it to us over and over. Great teams play defense, make adjustments, something. We aren't going anywhere without Disu, but could we at least try? 

You are fucking pathetic.

It felt like we got out of our offense and starting forcing one on one stuff about the time Disu last came into play game. Lotta rushed poor shots by guys that should know better after disu’s injury and really bad weakside rotation and covering the rolling pick man when we aggressively hedged the ball handler …

I doubt Terry told them to ease off. They panicked when Disu went out (despite doing okay without him for long stretches) and played lazier / sloppier 2 dumber ball on both ends the second half …

Refs also seemed to get whistle happy on one end of the court

13 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I was at the game. The first half was one of the best performances I have ever seen from a Texas team. Just incredible. But then you look at the scoreboard and we were only up by single digits. It was inevitable.

Once the outside shots stopped falling, like they always do, you have to be able to work it inside. We HAD to have Disu to close this one out. The team knew it. The fans knew it. When he went down it was over.

And as an aside, Disu is going to have to learn to stay out of foul trouble. Other teams take it right at him constantly knowing that he is going to foul.

It is too bad we won’t get to play in that arena again. If I’m honest, I like it better for hoops than Moody.

Yeah felt like watching that first half that they should have been up 20 or more. It was just not a good defensive effort. When you let them hang around like that you'll get burned.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

These are the dumbest arguments. Yes, one of the best players for Texas had to play well to give Texas a chance to win. You can’t just remove his performance and then ask what would happen. Good players impact winning. It’s not just a Texas thing.

Seriously asking this... Do you have severe reading comprehension issues? You seem to not grasp very basic wording and misconstrue simple statements into completely irrelevant, off the wall things. I'm asking because if you do have a learning disability or otherwise something that causes it outside of your control I'll take that into account. 

My point was the final score was not at all indicative of how poorly the team as a whole played. The only things that kept this from being an embarrassing blowout were pretty good first half defense and Abmas being insanely hot in the first 30 minutes of the game. Cannot count on any 1 player being that hot from the field in the tournament. They would have to play a lot better and more consistently as a team to even get out of the 8-9 game. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Cannot count on any 1 player being that hot from the field in the tournament. They would have to play a lot better and more consistently as a team to even get out of the 8-9 game. 

Right now the other projected 8-9 seeds on ESPN are Mississippi State,Nebraska,Nevada,Northwestern,Colorado State,Texas Tech and Michigan State. I understand it's easier to shit on this team after a dissapointing loss but don't sit here and pretend any of those teams mentioned above are any better than Texas at this point in the season. Also, you should probably note the two best players on this team have a lengthy history of heating up and going on a tear in March..

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i’ve seen shitty defense (including last night) and i’ve seen biased officiating (same), but i’ve never seen a team score 93 points on 47 FGA.

IMG_0293.jpeg

They called Cunningham for a flagrant foul on what should have been an offensive foul for a moving screen.  The refs were very shitty.  Our defense also sucked.  Not a good combination.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, txhorns said:

They called Cunningham for a flagrant foul

The entire sequence was bizarre, including Fran saying something like "That wouldn't have been called a flagrant on any other Texas player... and that's the correct call." Um what?

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The entire sequence was bizarre, including Fran saying something like "That wouldn't have been called a flagrant on any other Texas player... and that's the correct call." Um what?

Well Fran is a dumbass.  I understand calling Cunningham for a common foul when it is live.  But when you go to the monitor and see a moving screen and still upgrade it to flagrant despite zero extra stuff from Cunningham, that’s bizarre to me.  I’m not sure if they can overturn that to an offensive foul on review.

12 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Anyone truly expecting a different result? Somehow we would get instantaneously better on defense? RT instantaneous becomes an elite coach? This is the new normal. Has been.

Nah this is about what I expected.  Hopefully in a couple of years we can fire him and hire a great coach.

Posted (edited)

baylor shot 53/69/82, Texas went like 10 minutes in the 2H without a FG, and when our star player (who was already sick and not playing especially well) got hurt our entire team folded like a wet paper bag. zero response from anyone. so yeah.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

We would have beaten the #11 team in the country on the road if our star player didn't have a random illness and y'all are pounding the RT sucks drum. Amazing.

Intellectually, I agree with you. I turned that game on when we were up by 14 or so in the second half.

Hard to say that emotion and coaching didn't have a little to do with the final result.

On 3/4/2024 at 10:05 PM, TexArcher said:

"If that wae any other player, that's a common foul.  But because it's Brock Cunningham, it's a flagrant."

-- Fran

"I think that's good officiating."

-- Also Fran

When I heard this I nearly threw my bourbon at the new TV

• Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, beer said:

When I heard this I nearly threw my bourbon at the new TV

I keep telling yall it’s a good thing we won’t have Fran anymore once we get to the SEC. But a few people think it’s worse we will have Jimmy Dykes. I disagree. Fran is garbage and does nothing but slob the knob of the officials and act like they’re amazing saintly human beings

On 3/4/2024 at 11:11 PM, ztejas said:

You know little to next to nothing about basketball. You've made that increasingly apparent the past couple days. Why people like you think that anyone wants to hear your dipshit ramblings about a sport you understand nothing about baffles me. You should go check how many posts I have on the tennis and F1 threads. None. Because I don't watch those sports and I don't know anything about them and I'm not a fucking hack. 

Please shut the fuck up about this basketball team or any Texas basketball team for that matter and go back to picking your own dickcheese.

I just had to watch potentially the best win of the season turn into potentially, effectively, the end of Texas' season and you come in here postgame like a flaming idiot spouting inanities with the confidence of Rick Pitino acting like we didn't lose one of the best 3 players in the fucking conference with 10 minutes to play. 

Holy shit you are a fucking beating. I'm putting you on ignore now. Go fuck yourself, reevaluate your life, and shut the fuck up about shit you are clueless about. 

I'm going to bed. 

IMG_2415.gif.aafcb89d5af62da2eaf775933ee4f29d.gif

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I keep telling yall it’s a good thing we won’t have Fran anymore once we get to the SEC. But a few people think it’s worse we will have Jimmy Dykes. I disagree. Fran is garbage and does nothing but slob the knob of the officials and act like they’re amazing saintly human beings

This is cope. Dykes is a hack.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I like you but no. Dykes is way, way, way worse than Fran. 

,The Worst Ugliness GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Whatever you say. Fran is garbage. 

I'm not the biggest fan of Fran either but Dykes is so so much worse. I think sometimes Fran just makes people's Ref Derangement Sydnrome worse. He tries to tell it like it is, and usually succeeds but he is also regularly overly charitable. In his defense, he's overly charitable towards pretty much everyone and everything.

Edited by Brian Fantana

27 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I'm not the biggest fan of Fran either but Dykes is so so much worse. I think sometimes Fran just makes people's Ref Derangement Sydnrome worse. He tries to tell it like it is, and usually succeeds but he is also regularly overly charitable. In his defense, he's overly charitable towards pretty much everyone and everything.

He's not "telling it like it is"

He's protecting the honor of the guys he's gonna go have steaks with after the game

31 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I think sometimes Fran just makes people's Ref Derangement Sydnrome worse. He tries to tell it like it is, and usually succeeds but he is also regularly overly charitable. In his defense, he's overly charitable towards pretty much everyone and everything.

In our game in Lubbock, which I assume you watched (unless you were there), he was basically sucking the dick of one of the refs for being a former police officer who can "handle the atmosphere and the pressure from the crowd."  

I think he's entirely too close to the refs and he's entirely too cozy with some of the Big 12 coaches.  Usually 2.5-3 hours of fellating the refs, the officiating and the coaches. 

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

In our game in Lubbock, which I assume you watched (unless you were there), he was basically sucking the dick of one of the refs for being a former police officer who can "handle the atmosphere and the pressure from the crowd."  

I think he's entirely too close to the refs and he's entirely too cozy with some of the Big 12 coaches.  Usually 2.5-3 hours of fellating the refs, the officiating and the coaches. 

Yeah I mean he has dumb old white guy opinions, it is what it is. I just find it weird that you're going all grass is greener over someone who is literally one of the worst announcers in sports.

Dykes was doing an Auburn game and tried to claim the SEC as the #1 conference. Charles Barkley was part of their crew for the 4 minute segment during the game and had to correct Dykes on so much shit. Even Barkley was like “no, the Big 12 is #1. The SEC *might* be #2.”

Fran knows most of the rule book, so he tries to explain the calls as the rules are written. I also think Fran will tell it like it is—if a team is playing poorly, he’ll say they basically are not going to do well in this game, in the conference tournament, or in the NCAAs if they don’t fix x, y, or z.

Dykes tries to justify why anything and everything SEC will make the Final Four, even if it’s Georgia playing Vanderbilt. Dykes was also a terrible coach, so his explanations of why coaches are doing things during the game or running certain plays or sets absolutely suck ass. I don’t mind Fran’s explanations there. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Fran:  “Let’s take a look at this foul. Yeah, that’s a common foul. That should be called a common foul. But it’s Cunningham who has a reputation so it might get upgraded just because it’s Cunningham.  This would be a common foul if it was committed by anyone on the Texas roster other than Cunningham”.  

Foul upgraded by Refs

Fran: “Good call”. 

He lost me when he was cheerleading for RT to get the job last year. 

Edited by CTC2

3 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

This is cope. Dykes is a hack.

i watch his broadcasts all of the time, and he’s jim nantz compared to lowell galindo. as for fran, i used to really like him because he always really liked us. he obviously loves rick barnes and he was really a big UT cheerleader for years because of that, but in recent years fran is the definition of hack. i’ll take jimmy dykes all day > fran and lowell.

21 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Dykes tries to justify why anything and everything SEC will make the Final Four, even if it’s Georgia playing Vanderbilt.

now this is true. huge sec hack. still prefer him to lowell by a million miles, and still like listening to him more than fran. well, it’s close anyway.

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i watch his broadcasts all of the time, and he’s jim nantz compared to lowell galindo.

Not really a fair comparison considering my dad could do a better job than Galindo, and he's dead. I intentionally left out LHN announcers when I made my "worst announcers in all of sports" comment because it's too niche to really be counted in that conversation.

19 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

as for fran, i used to really like him because he always really liked us. he obviously loves rick barnes and he was really a big UT cheerleader for years because of that, but in recent years fran is the definition of hack. i’ll take jimmy dykes all day > fran and lowell.

Again, this is just cope. He glazes up every team, player, and coach he's announcing for. Just because he's not glazing up UT as much as you'd like at this moment in time doesn't make him a hack. Dykes is Dick Vitale if you remove half his brain. If I wanted to listen to a double digit IQer rant about how the winning team sucks and will get bounced from the tourney in round 1, I'll go to my uncle's house.