Who is winning the great $9.95 Longhorn streaming wars?

SimkinsMan

A few months after the great schism between Bobby and Nahlin, I thought it might be fun to compare the YouTube channels for Texas sites in terms of overall viewership. 

ON TEXAS FOOTBALL:

First up is On Texas Football, naturally a fan favorite here because it's the only channel not operated by a mouth breather. Based on the average of their last 12 "live" streams, Bobby and co. are averaging 4.64 thousand views

image.thumb.png.d201fad1ada9a47837c1b11c12949599.png

ORANGEBLOODS:

Next we come to Ketch and co., a site so despised here that we ran off a poster here simply because it seemed he might possibly be Ketch, an intern at Orangebloods, or simply some poor soul who obliviously posted a few links to there. And why not? Any taint of that website should be banished just to be safe. Big boy and his team are averaging 1.96 thousand views per stream.

image.thumb.png.36daa2cc5bdddd4bd017d7e9d3d1b5d8.png

INSIDE TEXAS

Finally we come to team Nahlin, which has a mix of absolute garbage commentary with some people like Drew Kelson who are great to listen to. But in the main, the self-aggrandizing navel-gazing of most contributors there make the Inside Texas streams unlistenable. Maybe it's just me. They're averaging 2.47 million views.

image.thumb.png.4a30fbca695f32d7e57d0b0654e1531f.png

Naturally this analysis means fuck all.

But I have to say that Inside Texas numbers are somewhat impressive given that the channel was only created in December, whereas the Orangebloods YouTube channel was created all the way back in April 2021. Yikes. Also, who the fuck is watching Orangebloods streams. What is wrong with you?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SimkinsMan said:

But I have to say that Inside Texas numbers are somewhat impressive given that the channel was only created in December

I think this is when the split with Bobby occurred, right? If so, IT's numbers should decline over time as more people learn of OTF.

Ever since the split I haven't watched one IT video.. hell i don't even watch much of the On3 stuff including their version of Pate guy.

I feel bad for the other streaming youtube live show.. Texas Sports Unfiltered.. they are entertaining and I switch to them once OTF signs off

6 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Maybe I'm not understanding the math, but it appears that IT is averaging something like 2.50 THOUSAND views.

Yeah, I fucked that up. Can't edit the post. Carry on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I think this is when the split with Bobby occurred, right? If so, IT's numbers should decline over time as more people learn of OTF.

I *think* Bobby took the "On Texas Football" channel with him after the split, so IT had to start its own channel. That's why it was only launched in December 2023.

• Hook 'Em 1

Biggest difference to me in regards to OTF, is that they don't sit around BSing each other on how their day was going or what they did the past weekend.. Bobby and Gerry say a quick hello from wherever and then start talking about recruiting/football updates immediately. They snag your attention off the bat.. and the show being just over an hour keeps it fresh.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

Biggest difference to me in regards to OTF, is that they don't sit around BSing each other on how their day was going or what they did the past weekend.. Bobby and Gerry say a quick hello from wherever and then start talking about recruiting/football updates immediately. They snag your attention off the bat.. and the show being just over an hour keeps it fresh.

You dont wanna hear about Ketches doctors appt. ? Or Anwars latest attempt to get a video of his kid to go viral?  Fuck, i hate i know that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I listen to IT. I don’t know that Bobby has many real connections to the program, over there in Nashville. Gerry is ok, but his “manscaping” ads are cringey, combined with his recent use of eyeliner (NTTIAWWT). 

I enjoy Wadlington’s content, Kelsons insights (better than Babers’), and Boyd is fine bouncing ideas with someone else. For a host, I like the IT guy over the OTF older guy. JMO. I am unlikely to listen to a podcast with just Justin, Nahlin and “the coach”. 

14 minutes ago, statsman said:

I listen to IT. I don’t know that Bobby has many real connections to the program, over there in Nashville. Gerry is ok, but his “manscaping” ads are cringey, combined with his recent use of eyeliner (NTTIAWWT). 

I enjoy Wadlington’s content, Kelsons insights (better than Babers’), and Boyd is fine bouncing ideas with someone else. For a host, I like the IT guy over the OTF older guy. JMO. I am unlikely to listen to a podcast with just Justin, Nahlin and “the coach”. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 7

6 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

You dont wanna hear about Ketches doctors appt. ? Or Anwars latest attempt to get a video of his kid to go viral?  Fuck, i hate i know that. 

Anwar is really good at reporting important stuff like if Arch will be in a video game and if Texas will continue to a recruit a kid who got in trouble at Lake Travis. Ketch then takes that reporting and is able to do an hour long video on the topic. Impressive stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

By gawd, that’s Mailbox357’s music! 

That would be so Ketch to watch his own content to drive up viewership.

13 hours ago, statsman said:

You're so mad, Eric.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, statsman said:

Ok. Share with me what I’m missing from OTF podcasts. Who are the regulars that are “must listens”?

you can't be serious, they bring in terrific guests.. they just had Shaun Rodgers on there Friday..  

Gerry is in the mix with recruiting news daily, he's actually on the road making visits.

Rod show with CJ and Erin is entertaining to since they deep dive on the Xs and Os..

But I get it, Eric.. your shows are so much better on IT.. clearly, the numbers say so 🙄

If you were to list all of the guys involved in those videos OTF would probably have 4 or 5 of the top 7.

Bobby has by far the most connections in the industry and at Texas, Gerry has the most connections as far as the HS landscape.

CJ isn't a finished product, but the effort is apparent. I enjoy most of their content I get a chance to listen to.

IT is full of undeserved egos. I've never been able to stomach much of anything OB or Chip Brown/Taylor Gaspar put out.

• Like 1

Paul Waddlington decided to stay with IT for whatever reason. That content is pure garbage. How do we track non YouTube views? I always use Spotify to listen to content. I wonder what % of the content is non YouTube podcast format. 

4 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Paul Waddlington decided to stay with IT for whatever reason. That content is pure garbage. How do we track non YouTube views? I always use Spotify to listen to content. I wonder what % of the content is non YouTube podcast format. 

Paul Wadlington is also becoming a bit of a blowhard. Compared to Bobby and Gerry, Paul brings very little, if anything to the table.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Paul Wadlington is also becoming a bit of a blowhard. Compared to Bobby and Gerry, Paul brings very little, if anything to the table.

the last time or towards the last time of Bobby doing a live with Paul.. you could tell Bobby was trying to reel him in when he would go on rants.. I always enjoyed Paul going solo.. still will be purchasing his annual Thinking Texas (or whatever it's called) Football season preview mag

• Like 1

I'm gonna be 100% honest with y'all. I've been following recruiting for 20+ years now (jesus...), and I've never really known or cared who works for what site, what site is affiliated with what national network, and so on. It all seems to get shuffled around every 18 months anyway. Feels like Bobby in particular has worked for damn near all of these things at one point or another. People post stuff here, and I read it. That works for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'm gonna be 100% honest with y'all. I've been following recruiting for 20+ years now (jesus...), and I've never really known or cared who works for what site, what site is affiliated with what national network, and so on. It all seems to get shuffled around every 18 months anyway. Feels like Bobby in particular has worked for damn near all of these things at one point or another. People post stuff here, and I read it. That works for me.

So you would say, tokamak, that you prefer a fusion of information from all of these sources?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/17/2024 at 5:44 PM, statsman said:

Ha. You precisely dick if you think Burton isn’t connected. I mean, wow. You need to check out for a while and regroup, then maybe comeback and try again with some new experience. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ha. You precisely dick if you think Burton isn’t connected. I mean, wow. You need to check out for a while and regroup, then maybe comeback and try again with some new experience. 

Sure. I’m sure you’re right (and the others saying the same). All I know is from a couple of years of listening to Burton’s OTF podcasts on IT, and I do t remember him dropping insights. He did shows with other guys-Wadlington, the retired HS coach, Hamilton and Wells- where he tended to be the host, serving them topics and questions. 

Does he have some other forum, besides those, where he shares all his connected info? I’m not on any insider forums or groups, so maybe he’s doing it somewhere I don’t access. 

I’ll sure listen to his new podcasts though. I don’t mind admitting if/when I’m wrong. 

Edited by statsman

1 minute ago, statsman said:

Sure. I’m sure you’re right (and the others saying the same). All I know is from a couple of years of listening to Burton’s OTF podcasts on IT, and I do t remember him dropping insights. He did shows with other guys-Wadlington, the retired HS coach, Hamilton and Wells- where he tended to be the host, serving them topics and questions. 

Does he have some other forum, besides those, where he shares all his connected info? I’m not on any insider forums or groups, so maybe he’s doing it somewhere I don’t access. 

I’ll sure listen to his new podcasts though. I don’t mind admitting if/when I’m wrong. 

Maybe you suck at listening....he drops quite a bit....especially now days...just gotta understand he isn't going to flat out say it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Am I reading this correctly? You don’t like OTF because 1) they have secured sponsors that allow you to consume their content free of charge, and 2) you don’t like having to look at the people whose shows are also available in audio-only form via podcast? 

It’s 2024. I’m not sure how distance negates anyone’s ability to stay connected in any meaningful fashion these days. Besides, Bobby was in Austin for every home game last year, streaming from the Co-op on Fridays. He was at Bama, in Dallas, and in New Orleans (can’t recall if he made it to Arlington for media days or B12 Championship). He was also on-site for chunks of both spring and fall camp last year, as he will be this year. He has interviewed everybody even tangentially related to the program from Sark to CDC to Colt to the Governor, etc. all from Nashville. He has more and deeper connections to the program than just about anybody in Longhorn media. As far as I can tell, there has been no impediment to his access to people or information whatsoever on account of his location.

Also, I’m pretty sure that Paul has been producing a very detailed Texas Football prospectus (TTF) every year from Silicon Valley/the Bay Area for over a decade now. Are we questioning his access to information? Ian Boyd lives much, much closer to Canada than anywhere in Texas, but nobody has ever thought he has any real connections to anything other than his imagination, so I guess that’s moot.

I’m not knocking your preferences. It seems your justifications against OTF are a bit specious, but that is your prerogative. The only real quibble I have is this:

Boyd is fine

icegif-92.gif

Bottom line—we are very fortunate to have a lot of viable outlets providing extensive, (mostly) quality coverage of the program we care so much about. That’s a good thing, regardless of personal preference.

14 hours ago, Atticus said:

I've never been able to stomach much of anything OB or Chip Brown/Taylor Gaspar put out.

While I totally agree with you, I think there are/were two things a portion of her followers look(ed) forward to seeing her put out on a regular basis (not sure if she still does that show because I don’t follow them).. If Gerry’s eyes are a legit excuse to avoid watching his show, I suppose Taylor’s mammaries are a perfectly valid reason to tune into hers. Neither has much to do with the quality of the work they do, but hey, different strokes for different folks.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Becoming?  hahaha.  That motherfucker has ALWAYS loved the smell of his own farts.  He's about 10% as clever as he thinks he is.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SamMan said:

It’s 2024. I’m not sure how distance negates anyone’s ability to stay connected in any meaningful fashion these days. Besides, Bobby was in Austin for every home game last year, streaming from the Co-op on Fridays. He was at Bama, in Dallas, and in New Orleans (can’t recall if he made it to Arlington for media days or B12 Championship). He was also on-site for chunks of both spring and fall camp last year, as he will be this year. He has interviewed everybody even tangentially related to the program from Sark to CDC to Colt to the Governor, etc. all from Nashville. He has more and deeper connections to the program than just about anybody in Longhorn media. As far as I can tell, there has been no impediment to his access to people or information whatsoever on account of his location.

Not to mention he gets national guys on his show like Luginbill, Finebaum, Matt Miller, etc. I think them being unaffiliated with a 247, On3, etc helps them with guest too. They also talk basketball and baseball often and have had shows specific to basketball. 

It's ironic he says this considering Nahlin lives in Houston area, Paul lives out west, Wells lives in podunk East, Tx, Thumb face lives in Colorado....so the only guy in Austin is Joe Cook who is just a beat writer essentially. Cook may be the only one on that staff besides the occasional Nahlin who actually goes to the games. 

6 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Becoming?  hahaha.  That motherfucker has ALWAYS loved the smell of his own farts.  He's about 10% as clever as he thinks he is.

Paul Wadlington makes @closetojumping seem humble and aware.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Not to mention he gets national guys on his show like Luginbill, Finebaum, Matt Miller, etc. I think them being unaffiliated with a 247, On3, etc helps them with guest too. They also talk basketball and baseball often and have had shows specific to basketball. 

It's ironic he says this considering Nahlin lives in Houston area, Paul lives out west, Wells lives in podunk East, Tx, Thumb face lives in Colorado....so the only guy in Austin is Joe Cook who is just a beat writer essentially. Cook may be the only one on that staff besides the occasional Nahlin who actually goes to the games. 

Paul Wadlington makes @closetojumping seem humble and aware.

I may have told this at some point, I can’t remember. I am pretty sure @HenryJames was there. 

We all met up in Austin for drinks and dinner one weekend during the early, happy days of the Barking Carnival efforts. Probably 8-10 of us. Anyway, we’re bullshitting at dinner and at some point, for whatever reason, height comes up. Someone asks me how tall I am and I say “6’2”” because, you know, that’s like factually correct and shit. 

Scipio can’t believe it, overhearing the conversation. “No way you’re 6’2”. I’m 6’2”. “ I say, cool, good for you, buddy. He still can’t accept it, bizarrely. It bothers the guy and finally he basically challenges me to a measurement. I would be mocking people having this conversation if I were seated near them and witnessing it. 

Anyway, I eventually capitulate to make it all go away and we stand back to back, in which the impartial judges begrudgingly informed Scipio that, in fact, he might not be fully 6’2”. He refused to believe it. To this day, I don’t know what in the fuck was going on there in his head, but for sure, physical dimensions are a part of his ego. 

Outside of high school sports, that is the only time my height ever proved crucial, winning that height contest in my early 30’s. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

That's still like 150% more clever than most

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

That may be true but I still enjoy listening to his thoughts on Texas football. Nahlin, however has absolutely zero redeeming values and I wouldn’t spend one second listening to his content. I wish Paul would leave and join Gerry and Bobby. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I may have told this at some point, I can’t remember. I am pretty sure @HenryJames was there. 

We all met up in Austin for drinks and dinner one weekend during the early, happy days of the Barking Carnival efforts. Probably 8-10 of us. Anyway, we’re bullshitting at dinner and at some point, for whatever reason, height comes up. Someone asks me how tall I am and I say “6’2”” because, you know, that’s like factually correct and shit. 

Scipio can’t believe it, overhearing the conversation. “No way you’re 6’2”. I’m 6’2”. “ I say, cool, good for you, buddy. He still can’t accept it, bizarrely. It bothers the guy and finally he basically challenges me to a measurement. I would be mocking people having this conversation if I were seated near them and witnessing it. 

Anyway, I eventually capitulate to make it all go away and we stand back to back, in which the impartial judges begrudgingly informed Scipio that, in fact, he might not be fully 6’2”. He refused to believe it. To this day, I don’t know what in the fuck was going on there in his head, but for sure, physical dimensions are a part of his ego. 

Outside of high school sports, that is the only time my height ever proved crucial, winning that height contest in my early 30’s. 

That’s the most Waddlington thing I could ever imagine. 

inside Texas is fucking painful on YouTube. I’m still subscribed bc they do a decent amount of articles daily. But I could go without Ian Boyd telling me about him impregnating his breeding cow of a wife again, or justifying moving DJ Campbell to fucking Nose tackle. 

Plus OTF has the trump of Gerry Hamilton. That dude is the best in the business. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, SamMan said:

Am I reading this correctly? You don’t like OTF because 1) they have secured sponsors that allow you to consume their content free of charge, and 2) you don’t like having to look at the people whose shows are also available in audio-only form via podcast? 

Also, I’m pretty sure that Paul has been producing a very detailed Texas Football prospectus (TTF) every year from Silicon Valley/the Bay Area for over a decade now. Are we questioning his access to information? Ian Boyd lives much, much closer to Canada than anywhere in Texas, but nobody has ever thought he has any real connections to anything other than his imagination, so I guess that’s moot.

I’m not knocking your preferences. It seems your justifications against OTF are a bit specious, but that is your prerogative. The only real quibble I have is this:

icegif-92.gif

Bottom line—we are very fortunate to have a lot of viable outlets providing extensive, (mostly) quality coverage of the program we care so much about. That’s a good thing, regardless of personal preference.

While I totally agree with you, I think there are/were two things a portion of her followers look(ed) forward to seeing her put out on a regular basis (not sure if she still does that show because I don’t follow them).. If Gerry’s eyes are a legit excuse to avoid watching his show, I suppose Taylor’s mammaries are a perfectly valid reason to tune into hers. Neither has much to do with the quality of the work they do, but hey, different strokes for different folks.

I think you're conflating Gerry with someone else. Gerry's eyes are fine. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Thought you were 5'8 from the Pic of you with Sydney.. The one that  @Coelenterate FuccboiFuccboi uses as his avatar

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Thought you were 5'8 from the Pic of you with Sydney.. The one that  @Coelenterate FuccboiFuccboi uses as his avatar

I'm pretty sure I was seated in that picture. Also, @SydneyCarton is like 6'4", so that could be it. I'd forgotten that it was actually me in CF's avatar. What did that asshole's old handle used to be? And was I gone when that pic got posted? I think I came back at some point and all hell had broken loose. Carl was an insider with like 2000 rep points. CF's handle had been changed, Sydney's posting photos of me, and the regulars on this board are praising Tom Herman as a surprise candidate for coach of the year heading into 2020. It was absurd.

• Haha 3