Texas Basketball 2024-25

4 hours ago, Teryor said:

Jason Kidd, Jim Jackson, Toni Braxton or Tony Parker, Brent Barry, and Barry's wife might be examples people here might be more familiar with 

What's the story here?

The Houston version is Shaun Bagwell having goes with at least Darryl Kile, Ken Caminiti, and Mike Hampton. The Caminiti trade was driven by Jeff Bagwell's demands, allegedly.

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What's the story here?

The Houston version is Shaun Bagwell having goes with at least Darryl Kile, Ken Caminiti, and Mike Hampton. The Caminiti trade was driven by Jeff Bagwell's demands, allegedly.

There was rumored to be a love triangle between Jason Kidd, Toni Braxton, and Jimmy Jackson. If I’m remembering correctly, Braxton went on the radio to promote her album and wouldn’t deny the rumors, so everyone assumed they were true.

Kidd and Jackson have always denied it and claimed Braxton did what she did because it was good promo for her album. Jamal Mashburn, who was also on that Mavs team, also says the story wasn’t true, but claims that the rumors gained so much steam that they did in fact hurt the locker room and helped lead to the breakup of that team

The Spurs one, Tony Parker just slept with Brent Barry’s wife.

• Hook 'Em 2

No, but I put away the bath and turned off the razor blade since it's electric and the bath was full.  

What do y'all think we still do in portal/late additions?  And then can somebody smarter than me at lineup breakdowns (not a high bar), give us a projected 2-deep or rotation look for next year with these new guys/remaining players?  Last year was probably the least I followed the horns in the last 25 years of being a fan/regular attendee to games.  I haz confuz.  thanks.

Even if he took another step forward this offseason, having a guy at that wing spot who offers very little to no offensive game outside of 5 feet makes life harder for everyone else on the floor. 

It was time to move on. I won't miss the offensive sets and looks we got when he played with Cunnigham and Horton at the same time.

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Because he has crazy hops and that’s not coachable but most coaches feel they can teach shooting and improve that. 

I'm trying to think of any player we've ever had who came in unable to shoot a lick and had crap form, like Mitchell, and left a decent shooter.

Posted (edited)

It's a big meh.  He's not a starter on a really good team.  His defense and rebounding are assets that would have been useful off the bench, but he's not willing to accept that.

Edited by kevwun

6 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I feel like this is a big negative for us

It’s only negative if we do nothing to replace him. There are better options in the portal.

I appreciated Mitchell’s energy and rebounding, but he often kneecapped our offense.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

How does somebody who cannot shoot the ball get ranked as a top 10 prospect?  Ridiculous.

Any time I see a high ranked recruit in the 6’5-6’9 range described as athletic/bouncy/high-motor I assume they’ll be gone in a year. 

Mitchell, Liddell, Greg Brown, etc. AJ Johnson averaged under 3ppg on 37% in NZ this year

At least the 5* centers can be a defensive anchor even if they go pro before they become all that efficient offensively. And a wing that can’t score ruins spacing way more than a center 

Edited by UnhappilyMarried

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Let’s hope we get guys that can shoot the three well. 

Mark - 36%
Kent - 37%
Larry - 46%
(Last season stats)

The big question mark is Weaver taking a big step in his offensive game and if Tre Johnson can shoot it like he did in the McD's AA game.  Weaver was a 40% shooter from 3 as a freshman 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/26/2024 at 7:49 PM, LTtxfan said:

Doesn't surprise me.  Both players need a reboot and better development.  Playing for a different staff might help both of them.  

Good luck to Mitchell and Hunter...

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

What's the story here?

I think that’s why Hampton was traded too 

25 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Ford, Aldridge, Damion James….off the top of my head.

Ford definitely improved his J and his stroke from the charity stripe between his freshman and sophomore seasons.

However, Aldridge was a gym rat long before he showed up on the Forty.

I also want to recall Damion as having a decent jumper as a freshman, but that was more than 15 years ago. He improved from deep and showed some improvement at the free throw line, but I don't think it would be fair to say that neither he nor Aldridge could shoot. They could.

Yeah, if Hunter and Mitchell weren't going to work their asses off to improve their game for UT then time to go. Of course, Tyrese is going to light it up somewhere next year in some kind of Murphy's law situation and not because coaching but because he decided to actually play to his ability more than once every eight games. They were both frustrating to watch this year and I was rooting for them both to live up to their potential preseason 2023. 

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Ford definitely improved his J and his stroke from the charity stripe between his freshman and sophomore seasons.

I also want to recall Damion as having a decent jumper as a freshman, but that was more than 15 years ago. He improved from deep and showed some improvement at the free throw line, but I don't think it would be fair to say that neither he nor Aldridge could shoot. They could.

Aldridge completely re-worked his form at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dumb question in these weird times:  on the off chance Mitchell gets drafted, would he be ineligible for college ball, or would that be agent-related (and why, given NIL)?

There is a deadline for guys to withdraw before the draft. I think it is sometime next month. If you stay in past that deadline, you are locked in regardless of if you are picked or not. 

The majority of borderline draft guys declare without officially hiring an agent to give them the option to withdraw by the deadline, but the sure-fire draft guys will just declare and hire an agent right away meaning they can not withdraw.

22 hours ago, Js1 said:

This. 4 of last year’s top 10 transfers were from non-power conferences. Looks like about 7 of the top 20 this year are non-power conference guys 

I feel like these transfers are a better bet than a high school kid who is not a stud. 

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

TJ was always a good ft shooter. He went 78% as a freshman to 82% as a sophomore. He was a bad 3 point shooter (15% and 25.5%) but hit them at critical times. I’m 

Aldridge hurt his hip and had surgery before his freshman year ended. He spent the summer sitting on a stool and working on his shot. 

1 hour ago, dogbreath said:

TJ was always a good ft shooter. He went 78% as a freshman to 82% as a sophomore. He was a bad 3 point shooter (15% and 25.5%) but hit them at critical times. I’m 

Aldridge hurt his hip and had surgery before his freshman year ended. He spent the summer sitting on a stool and working on his shot. 

I recall when LaMarcus was on campus, Barnes saying something to the effect that he couldn't keep Aldridge out of the gym. Kid was always working on his game, injury or not. Barnes had similar praise for KD.

I don't have statistics, but I remember TJ developing a serviceable midrange J between his freshman and sophomore seasons. And he also became the guy you _wanted_ at the line at the end of games. He was ice cold. I don't remember feeling that confident in him as a freshman.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

What's the story here?

Can Shaun hang out with Jose Abreu?

and check back in a couple of months to see what Hader’s been up to?

Posted (edited)

Cross posting.

From Eric Bossi at 247Sports.

(QUOTE FROM INTRO)

"Would expect more yesses for Texas in the near future."

(ON POPE)

image.thumb.png.97c59b8af5c5bfced219ed7cfc57b4c8.png

(ON TRAMON MARK)

TRAMON MARK, FROM ARKANSAS TO TEXAS

New Longhorn Tramon Mark (Photo: Petre Thomas, USA TODAY Sports)
Tramon Mark entered the transfer portal in the 2023 cycle looking for a featured role with the ball in his hands. He got it at Arkansas. The 6-foot-6, 185-pound wing parlayed the highest usage rate of his career into one of the best individual seasons of his career. Mark totaled 16.2 points per game with career-best shooting splits across the board.

But he didn't win. Arkansas (16-17, 6-12 in SEC play) was one of the bigger disappointments this past season.

Arkansas' bumpy road can be Texas' smooth sailing.

A former Houston rotation staple, Mark didn't suddenly turn into a losing player at Arkansas. Everything that could've gone wrong with the Hogs in 2023-24, went wrong.

Mark returns to his roots in the Lone Star State as a new and improved version of himself. Rodney Terry is getting one of the best isolation scorers in the country who shot over 73% at the rim which was one of the top marks nationally. Mark was also extremely efficient in pick-and-rolls this past season. He can create offense for himself in waves. Mark drew 4.9 fouls per 40 minutes and shot 80% at the stripe. He also splashed a career-best 36% from downtown on 99 attempts.

Simply put, Mark checks off a bunch of boxes on both ends. He's the rangy, ball-handling, shot-creating wing that Texas' roster really didn't have last year. He's a fifth-year veteran who will sit down and guard and take some pressure off five-star freshman wing Tre Johnson.

Mark to Texas just works.

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 7