Earthquake in NYC

11 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

My building just shook.  On the phone with a collegue in Jersey who also felt it.  Also felt in Westport, CT.

Fucking unreal.

No, thank you. I'm not sure whether new construction in NYC has all those earthquake protections, but I'm pretty dang sure most of the older skyscrapers don't. And I certainly wouldn't want to be in one of those already wobbly super-skinnies.

Just now, bolverk said:

No, thank you. I'm not sure whether new construction in NYC has all those earthquake protections, but I'm pretty dang sure most of the older skyscrapers don't. And I certainly wouldn't want to be in one of those already wobbly super-skinnies.

I am more laughing at the reactions of everyone.  My colleague was freaking out.  I lived in California, so I have been through them before.  This was just a little rumbler.  4.8.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I am more laughing at the reactions of everyone.  My colleague was freaking out.  I lived in California, so I have been through them before.  This was just a little rumbler.  4.8.

Yeah, well, having only ever lived in Texas and northern France, I can say with high confidence that my monkey brain wouldn't be able to process it either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was on a zoom with a coworker who lives close to the epicenter.  He said "Hold on" like something was wrong in his house, and I was thinking what the fuck is going on there, and a second later my whole house (about 50 miles away) started shaking.

• Hook 'Em 1

Almost every building under construction or being renovated that we walked by had at least a handful of workers taking a smoke break on the sidewalk, and I’m not talking about cigarettes. Couple that with the sheer size of NYC and the general incompetence of normal size city code inspection offices and I have little faith in these buildings new and old.
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Was there a ripple in your Manhattan?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I’m in Westport CT and felt it. At first sounded like it was a strong breeze but I noticed the trees totally calm….. then a little shaking which I heard more than felt (pictures, windows rattling). My wife was in her office and didn’t notice it. Dogs freaked the fuck out.

3 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

GOJIRA!

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

spacer.png

There's a Japanese restaurant near Mammoth Lakes (ski resort area) called Gojira. I didn't know what it mean until we went in and saw all these posters

image.png.f7811769b94660d2d43d97667c740b6e.png 

The food sucked. Don't go there.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Superhero said:

There's a Japanese restaurant near Mammoth Lakes (ski resort area) called Gojira. I didn't know what it mean until we went in and saw all these posters

image.png.f7811769b94660d2d43d97667c740b6e.png 

The food sucked. Don't go there.

One of my highly-specific-number of Japanese friends told me "Gojira" meant "Gorilla-Whale. She taught Japanese, so I guess she knows.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It's funny how people can all experience the same event and how they report it.

My son was at work in Chelsea when it happened. He immediately texted me and said "Dad, in a about 30 minutes you are going to be inundated with news about the New York earthquake. Just know that it was nothing. I felt it for a few seconds and it was over. It was barely anything."

My GF's daughter lives 20 miles away (as the crow flies), and her report to her mom was "It shook so bad I almost fell out of my bed".

3 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

One of my highly-specific-number of Japanese friends told me "Gojira" meant "Gorilla-Whale. She taught Japanese, so I guess she knows.

Whale sized gorilla so I've heard.

Which is very hurtful to the guy. Hence the rage and the smashing and the breathing of fire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

It's funny how people can all experience the same event and how they report it.

My son was at work in Chelsea when it happened. He immediately texted me and said "Dad, in a about 30 minutes you are going to be inundated with news about the New York earthquake. Just know that it was nothing. I felt it for a few seconds and it was over. It was barely anything."

My GF's daughter lives 20 miles away (as the crow flies), and her report to her mom was "It shook so bad I almost fell out of my bed".

Yes, the difference between men and women is funny.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

Good for him! Shooters shoot.

Thanks. His day job is repping expensive men's italian clothing, so he has all of the clothing industry connections to get them done quickly. He is definitely a hustler.

• Drool 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GenXer said:

You give ‘em one of these?

image.jpeg.7be778ebf7e7f01fdcd685237e5cf2ed.jpeg

I was in the upper concourse leaving that game when it struck. The exposed metal cross beams were shaking pretty drastically. I was drunk and in super happy mood so it didn't occur to me that it was somewhat serious.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Thanks. His day job is repping expensive men's italian clothing, so he has all of the clothing industry connections to get them done quickly. He is definitely a hustler.

Not if he’s still working on it and others are already in production. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1