Loree From Hornfans Discussion

Whoa. Just read through this thread.  It wasn't easy, but I did manage to fap.

~~~

On 4/5/2024 at 9:16 PM, UT_OB1 said:

I was never on HF. I think I was on Shaggy for quite a while, but I was not aware of the Lorree thing people are referring to. Can someone fill the rest of us in?

On 4/5/2024 at 9:21 PM, troph said:

When hornfans was in the last stages a splinter board started before shaggy, probably by a few years. Ultimately it failed.  I don’t think she was on that board but folks - including her - knew about it. It was kinda the “cool kids” board but instead of populating the board with as many reasonable folks as they could they instead made fun of hornfans posters by quoting posts and laughing and loree was one of them. She became aware of it, I don’t recall how long or what was said but in the end she killed herself and somehow it was known the Texas message board community bullying her was a part of it. It was bullshit. 

Did all the threads/posts about Loree on this site get scrubbed?  Neither Surly search nor Google site search returns any of the numerous threads where her story was discussed.  Surely they weren't all Shaggy threads?

Loree had direct interaction with the board in question and a member there posted an epic "you are a completely worthless human being" rant to her.  She left the world the next day or so.

~~~

Derka has his issues and can become irrational - we all know this, but he is ultimately a good person and willing to make amends when he fucks up (when he calms down and is rational/lucid again).  He's gotten a lot better over the years and I'm sad to hear that he's been dealt such a harsh hand.  Seems like a timeout would have been more appropriate.  $.02 FWIW

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

So they know for sure it was related to people bullying her on the forum?

I don't see a reference to it on there but Hornfans was heavily moderated so it could've been cleaned up or maybe it came out later. I was more of a lurker back then and wasn't really up on everything that was going on. 

Just now, mdmost said:

I don't see a reference to it on there but Hornfans was heavily moderated so it could've been cleaned up or maybe it came out later. I was more of a lurker back then and wasn't really up on everything that was going on. 

I trust you I just wasn't clear why she did it

Just now, mdmost said:

The bullying post was not posted on HF.  It was Longhornfanzone or something like that.  I read the bullying post the night it was posted.  It contained many details about her personal life.  It was exceedingly harsh in the way that only internet anonymity can foster.

I was inquiring about threads where this has all been discussed before.  I thought we had done this here (relate Loree's story) on Surly in a previous discussion about bullying, but I couldn't find it.  Maybe the threads I was remembering were on Shaggy.

1 minute ago, bernorange said:

The bullying post was not posted on HF.  It was Longhornfanzone or something like that.  I read the bullying post the night it was posted.  It contained many details about her personal life.  It was exceedingly harsh in the way that only internet anonymity can foster.

I was inquiring about threads where this has all been discussed before.  I thought we had done this here (relate Loree's story) on Surly in a previous discussion about bullying, but I couldn't find it.  Maybe the threads I was remembering were on Shaggy.

So they never knew who posted that? I was never on Longhornfanzone. 

Posted (edited)

it was not on longhornfanzone.com it was on a short lived very few members message board that I don't remember the name of. back then it was broadly accepted that online bullying was a part of it. granted anyone who does do that probably has other issues too, but it's the combination we all have to worry about.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So they never knew who posted that? ...

I'm sure that some people probably knew who the author was.  I never saw it discussed anywhere.  I didn't personally know anyone on that site just as I don't know anyone here other than Blacklab - who I've only "met" via email and phone.

56 minutes ago, bernorange said:

I'm sure that some people probably knew who the author was.  I never saw it discussed anywhere.  I didn't personally know anyone on that site just as I don't know anyone here other than Blacklab - who I've only "met" via email and phone.

it was a group of posters on a start up obscure message board that was more focused on keeping people out than growing a base. there was no single one poster that bullied, the culture of that board was to point at posters on hornfans and laugh. she got caught up in it and it went awful. several months or years later shaggy was born. very early on, the idea of telling someone to kill themselves was treated as a bannable offense.

• Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, troph said:

... there was no single one poster that bullied,...

Respectfully, you are wrong.  I read the damn post a few hours after it was posted.  The author had been trading barbs with her for some time before posting his/her magnum opus.  I may not remember every detail, but I'm not so senile as to forget what happened entirely.

30 minutes ago, troph said:

it was a group of posters on a start up obscure message board that was more focused on keeping people out than growing a base. there was no single one poster that bullied, the culture of that board was to point at posters on hornfans and laugh. she got caught up in it and it went awful. several months or years later shaggy was born. very early on, the idea of telling someone to kill themselves was treated as a bannable offense.

was it Big12Warzone? 🤔 i was there either before shaggy existed, or i just hadn't found shaggy yet. it was def small and obscure, and i remember several of those names, i don't think i've ever seen any iteration of them on shaggy or surly. it was dominated by Texas fans but there were quite a few from other B12 schools. and it was rough. i think that's honestly why i have such a thick skin here, even as a female, kind of a baptized by fire thing lol

9 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Respectfully, you are wrong.  I read the damn post a few hours after it was posted.  The author had been trading barbs with her for some time before posting his/her magnum opus.  I may not remember every detail, but I'm not so senile as to forget what happened entirely.

Maybe one poster posted the attack that caused it but I distinctly remember the very site being founded on a “we are smart, you are dumb, so dumb” mentality and the most popular thread that had numerous participants was quoting hornfans posters and making fun of them. I remember because I railed on them for it on hornfans. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, mchookem said:

was it Big12Warzone? 🤔 i was there either before shaggy existed, or i just hadn't found shaggy yet. it was def small and obscure, and i remember several of those names, i don't think i've ever seen any iteration of them on shaggy or surly. it was dominated by Texas fans but there were quite a few from other B12 schools. and it was rough. i think that's honestly why i have such a thick skin here, even as a female, kind of a baptized by fire thing lol

I don’t think so. It had Hookem or horns or something like that in the title - it was Texas only and probably had probably less than 50 active posters.

It was around the time she died, shaggy did not exist until 2008? It predated then.

Edited by troph

25 minutes ago, mchookem said:

That board was just hot garbage.  It was bad.

• Prepare your anus 1

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

The dreaded blinking envelope of DEATH!

I remember when it happened, I was just venturing outside of the sports boards and wasn't very integrated into the community. 

I do remember that information about it was hard to come by as the mods quickly deleted anything that referenced it much, particularly in any way that might have implicated her privacy or that of her family. 

It was shrouded in mystery at the time, particularly for someone who hadn't known the back story. 

Re-readng the posts this morning and realize I needed to clarify a couple things...

14 hours ago, chainsaw said:

I trust you I just wasn't clear why she did it

I don't know if anyone knows for sure all the reasons why she did it - the people who knew her IRL on HF didn't really share much on that issue and rightfully so.  I think everyone has their demons/battles that they struggle with in life.  Based upon what I saw at the time, I'm convinced that the online activity (and that post in particular) was a contributing factor (it seemed to me that the post was likely to have pushed her over the ledge that she was already very close to).  You never really know what people on the other side of the screen are going through. It's some sort of ingrained human ego thing to subconsciously assume that everyone else is just like yourself.  "If I can handle it, you should be able to as well".  Only that isn't always the case (and this is, to my mind, how the issue relates to Derka).

14 hours ago, mdmost said:

So they never knew who posted that? ...

This happened roughly 18 years ago now.  I don't remember the username of the one that authored the final bully post, but I do remember that it was not a name that was used on HF.  Most of the peeps on that alt site had chosen new names when they moved over from HF (much like some peeps did here in the move from Shaggy), so it wasn't clear who anyone really was.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, troph said:

Maybe one poster posted the attack that caused it but I distinctly remember the very site being founded on a “we are smart, you are dumb, so dumb” mentality and the most popular thread that had numerous participants was quoting hornfans posters and making fun of them. I remember because I railed on them for it on hornfans. 

I distinctly remember early Shag making fun of HF posters. It went on for the first few years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

In the last few years we had a member here kill himself.  I don’t know if it was inter-related but he went out arguing with several posters on this site. 

zork was his username if I recall correctly.

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Zork’s demise had nothing to do with this website.

I'll be more specific for incredulity. Zork was a pretty old guy, who I believe was having a difficult divorce from his wife, and the kids were being used as a weapon, per him. They were older, adult kids or teenagers, I think. Anyway, he was learning all about the world of internet dating, and he got himself conned by someone claiming to be a young woman interested in him. The depression of that and his situation with his kids seemed too much, so he called it quits. That's my memory of it anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Didn’t durkee have a page with links to all of the Texas boards at one point?

Might as well bring Pronghorn and RoostaMan into this discussion.

😉

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'll be more specific for incredulity. Zork was a pretty old guy, who I believe was having a difficult divorce from his wife, and the kids were being used as a weapon, per him. They were older, adult kids or teenagers, I think. Anyway, he was learning all about the world of internet dating, and he got himself conned by someone claiming to be a young woman interested in him. The depression of that and his situation with his kids seemed too much, so he called it quits. That's my memory of it anyway. 

Same recollection 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

IIRC, there were a lot of guys on here warning him that he was getting catfished.

1 minute ago, royiv said:

IIRC, there were a lot of guys on here warning him that he was getting catfished.

Yeah, lots of folks were telling him he was getting fucked with. I'm of the opinion a non zero percentage of his decision to off himself was the shame he felt at ignoring folks here. Not a majority, not even a lot. More of a "They told me, I just can't do anything right" kind of thing. 

I had forgotten about Loree until it was brought up, but there are at least a dozen or more posters here that were discussing it on hornfans after it happened. I do think, as troph said, the other site had the name hookem in it or something like that. I just can’t remember exactly. 

Shit, I did not know that about Zork.  That's awful to read.  Yeah, I'm sure some posts on here didn't help him but sounds like it was a buncha other shit in real life.  I do know that there have been a disturbing amount of suicides caused by social media/cyber bullying, and we are certainly a twisted lot to be sure.  But I don't think anybody on here would drive somebody to that, or likewise-anybody on here would be driven to commit suicide just by this place alone.  Don't get me wrong, we can far less than helpful at times but yeah-a lotta times its just 1% of a 100% of a larger problem.  So sorry to hear that about Zork.  I don't think I ever met him but enjoyed his posting for the most part.  Had no idea, just figured he rolled off as some of us do from time to time.  Only reason I came back here was because of a certain thread of folks that helped me get started on improving myself and of course, had to go and make some Seinfeld quotes and now y'all are stuck with me again.  It's an incredibly helpful community if you know where to look.  But yeah, we can be assholes.  But I don't think those kinds of assholes.  There are a lot of people I've talked with from the A.A. thread that have helped me a great deal to get started on the path, so in the end-this place is still great.  

Back to thread topic-the bifurcation of HornFans was a curious one.  It seems like based on our ages, many of us were in school/grad school/moving on to first & second jobs about the time all these message boards got launched with the advent of this goofy world wide web.  I was in law school in California and just starved for Longhorn football content.  I think I tried that 360 deal for a minute, but got hooked on the bizarre humor and analysis of LFZ.  Moved back to Austin and met a lot of y'all.  Of course, we all know how LFZ ended up.  Orangebloods and that other one (can't remember the name, it was more of a social site than sports) weren't really my cup of tea.  And so hornfans became the big player again.  And while I got non-stop shit from Katy, it was still a good community.  But even when we were great at football, in about the 2000's---it got annoying as fuck.  Plus I got banned a few times.  Then along comes Shaggy and Surly.  Obviously we're biased on here, but I think this is the best combination of sports analysis/fanaticism plus humor and help and other topics.  I dunno if it's because hornfans maybe trends older on the macro.  I mean we have plenty of older posters, but I feel like a lot of us came up through the same 'message board channels' in terms of where and when we moved about.  Plus the site-runners do a great job and the in-person events are always a blast..........until Immamac tricks us into a bus to Michigan next year and leaves us holding our dicks in the parking lot.  

Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2024 at 3:43 PM, mdmost said:

Wow some real flashback usernames there. GOO, CAD, Crayon.

Reminds me of having to log onto a desktop to read the forums. The Stone Age.

Edited by lucious leftfoot

5 hours ago, lucious leftfoot said:

Wow some real flashback usernames there. GOO, CAD, Crayon.

Reminds me of having to log onto a desktop to read the forums. The Stone Age.

watch out for those Myanmar Muslims

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Weirdly enough, the last post on the "We'll miss you Loree" thread on HF was by zork.   Edit: last post 1st page.

I was never on HF or any other Horn site until Shaggy came along.  I joined in around 2011 I think under the same username.  After all this time on the planet it still is maddening that grown people still have a hard time getting along.  Turn the other cheek and move on.  There are way more important things in life than the internet.  Like, maybe life. 

Peace and love.

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

I faintly remember the Loree stuff, and just generally recall that she became insufferable, and that she suspended me for making a satirical "that's racist" response to a post (where even the poster PM'd me and said he knew it was a joke).  Not long after I got a warning for daring to be critical of Mack during his FYPM 2013 tour, and permanently left that shitshow for Shaggy, where I had only lurked since about 2008.  

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I faintly remember the Loree stuff, and just generally recall that she became insufferable, and that she suspended me for making a satirical "that's racist" response to a post (where even the poster PM'd me and said he knew it was a joke).  Not long after I got a warning for daring to be critical of Mack during his FYPM 2013 tour, and permanently left that shitshow for Shaggy, where I had only lurked since about 2008.  

Funny, because since ‘08, I’ve lurked in your mom’s vagina. 

8 hours ago, South Austin said:

Loree was a moderator?

On 4/10/2024 at 1:59 PM, chainsaw said:

Divorce is a bitch for all but for some it is really something they never recover from

Ain't that the fucking truth.  My parents got divorced 35 years ago.  My dad still blames my mom for ruining his life.  It's like he gave up when the divorce happened.

On 4/10/2024 at 6:39 AM, TwiceHorn said:

I remember when it happened, I was just venturing outside of the sports boards and wasn't very integrated into the community. 

I do remember that information about it was hard to come by as the mods quickly deleted anything that referenced it much, particularly in any way that might have implicated her privacy or that of her family. 

It was shrouded in mystery at the time, particularly for someone who hadn't known the back story. 

I saw what was claimed to be the big post about her at the time - a friend reposted it on an Austin board (the post was cleaned up of identifying details), and the speculation was that it was one of the tailgate regulars that had met her in person and/or hung out with her, because there was some very specific information about her that had to be IRL stuff. I just remember it was ugly as hell, and seemed to be lengthy.

23 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Ain't that the fucking truth.  My parents got divorced 35 years ago.  My dad still blames my mom for ruining his life.  It's like he gave up when the divorce happened.

Well, did she?