UT Pro-Palestine Protest Thread

Captainant

Anti-semitism is absolutely on a disturbing increase in trajectory.  That can be true while also holding true is that while I disagree with their stance, the Wednesday protestors were being quite peaceful and respectful.  I was in the middle of it all under the tower yesterday and it was Jewish and Palestinian students standing side by side in relative peace, just chanting and displaying signs.  UTPD was being  seen but not cumbersome.  

the force posture of DPS and unlawful arrest and physical intimidation of many students is the standing issue that we will take months, or longer; to unpack.  It was a bullshit “free speech on campus” ploy by Abbott.  What role Jay had in it, I’m not gonna ask but I’ll.l find out.  But that the Chandellor and half the Regents were caught so completely off guard and upset by this leads me to believe this is not going to end well for some people.  And to berate the point, Gaza aside, those DPS riot thugs were staged ahead of time.  And nobody seems to know when or where.  

• Hook 'Em 5

The amount of cunts that inhabit this site is truly mind boggling. Is it a gaggle of cunts? Flock of cunt? Gathering of the Cuntalos? Dibs on all of the above as shitty 90’s cover band names.

If you feel the need to +rep this post you are who I’m talking about. If you feel the need to neg this post, you are also who I’m talking about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

The amount of cunts that inhabit this site is truly mind boggling. Is it a gaggle of cunts? Flock of cunt? Gathering of the Cuntalos?

This place should be right up your ally, Hancock.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Nivek said:

There is a weird visceral reaction that some have when they see students protest.  I tend to think it is because they are younger, better looking, and have free time.   

We have posters advocating for cracking skulls because a crime could be committed.   And of course they are OK with it, because the don't like the message and because it isn't their family.   

Yes, these protesters are known for their good looks.

• Haha 4
  • Fuck You 1

That's not what happened.  You keep missing the point.  Hartzell & The Goons weren't "preparing for the possibility" that something might happen, they used force to make sure it COULDN'T happen, and violated many people's rights in doing so.

This. Be prepared. But that doesn’t mean “squash a peaceful protest because maybe possibly it could turn into something else.” That’s not how the First Amendment works.
  • Hook 'Em 2

there's a general disagreement about what it means to support something - some people think that if you say that you don't like something, you can do all the behaviors that feed and power that thing without supporting it. that's false and is surprisingly difficult for some of you to understand. 

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The only thing I have to add is that it is extremely weird to me that some of you are taking the same stance as Texags and not immediately gut checking.

There's a lot of people here that make fun of aggie in the aggie thread for being so stupid and then go and share their dumb aggie opinions on actual issues in the world. It's really weird.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I think it’s pretty plain. Most of us have observed that the horseshoe theory on antisemitism is in play: we have a strong strain of it on the right, including among sitting members of Congress, advising members of the Texas state govt, Nazis marching, etc. And we see it on the left, as there is an undeniable strain of it present among SOME of the pro-Palestine crowd.

You are correct on this thought. Most of the Jewish population, especially in the Northeast and Southern California and Chicago, are pretty strong left leaning and had a visceral reaction against the far right. Now that we see hipsters wearing swastika scarves, it moves them away from the far left. So basically they are stuck in the middle of the horseshoe. Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right, here I am, Stuck in the middle with you.

19 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I never thought about it but I think you are correct. Maybe the jewish community is delusional. Have you thought about presenting your thoughts to the Anti-defimation League?

How the surge in antisemitism is affecting countries around the world

CHINA
No figures are available on antisemitic incidents. On Oct. 13, a staff member of the Israeli embassy in Beijing was assaulted and a suspect was arrested.
Chinese social media is awash with antisemitic content, including posts suggesting the Nazi Holocaust was justified and likening Jews to parasites, vampires or snakes.
A foreign ministry spokesperson said the law prohibited the use of the internet to propagate hate speech, but there were no discernible efforts by the authorities to curb antisemitic activity online.

Perhaps, now is the time to give everyone a thumbs up for their contributions to bringing the Cloak Room to the Daily Texan. Nice job all around guys.

Spelling mistakes.  Trying to post about the price of tea in China and pretending that has something to do with free speech.    Then trying to pretend the world is more dangerous than it ever has been because well, somewhere in China, those Chinese Jews are getting harassed.   No understanding of anecdotal evidence or confirmation bias.   Cannot admit to being wrong.   Cannot understand nuance.    Cries cloak room. 

I used to wonder at how the minds of VEEP writers worked and how they were capable of making these hysterical and insane things for our amusement.   Now I am sad to know they just followed people like you around.   Did you know that math uses Arabic numerals!  

• Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

You are correct on this thought. Most of the Jewish population, especially in the Northeast and Southern California and Chicago, are pretty strong left leaning and had a visceral reaction against the far right. Now that we see hipsters wearing swastika scarves, it moves them away from the far left. So basically they are stuck in the middle of the horseshoe. Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right, here I am, Stuck in the middle with you.

proof

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Captainant said:

The attempt by Hartzell and every useful idiot in this thread to make what happened in Austin, TX on Speedway in front of Gregory, and on the Six Pack be about something that happened in California and New York is fucking absurd on its face. What the actual fuck are you saying. 

Talk about WHAT HAPPENED AT TEXAS. Fucking watch some actual reporting from the event and don't just sheepishly regurgitate statements from the people who called in the fucking jack booted head crackers to brutalize students. 

When something like this happens, I expect Sack and the other bootlickers to have idiotic takes.  

What's really alarming here to me is all of the people in this thread who just don't care enough to watch videos or read enough to have an informed opinion.  Jesus...

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

And it sucks. I get that your concerned about what has happened elsewhere. But it all of that isn't relevant as to whether the first amendment was trampled by the University on Wednesday (it was). Again, if you want to justify the actions of the administration of the University, you're going to have to justify based on what happened on campus, not what happened in other areas of the world. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

They said no camping twice.

They like no camping.

Young man, can you blow me where the camping is?

-whuh?

can you blow me where the camping is?

-do you mean show me where the campus is?

UF/PCU

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Again, if you want to justify the actions of the administration of the University, you're going to have to justify based on what happened on campus, not what happened in other areas of the world. 

Quoted and emphasized for spot-on truth.  This is it.  This is the rule.

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

proof

Sorry to have to spell it out: It's a figure of speech. There is a meme going around that a keffiyeh on an American college campus is just a hipster swastika

• Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Sorry to have to spell it out: It's a figure of speech. There is a meme going around that a keffiyeh on an American college campus is just a hipster swastika

Sorry that 4chan sucks? That's a bit of a jump to soft claim that meme culture is why hartzell had to call in riot cops for a few hundred peaceful protesters in a designated public speech area

I havent been paying close attention, but is the president of the University of Texas at Austin not a progressive type?  He's in cahoots with the Abbott/Patrick/Paxton/MAGA cabal?

That seems incongruous?  Or at least very unexpected...

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

There are real examples of anti-semitic statements etc. from other demonstrations -- someone posted a photo yesterday where a protester somewhere else was carrying a sign with an israeli flag on it and suggesting a "Final Solution."  It's a real thing, let's not be intellectually dishonest.  NO, it's not necessarily the message.  And NO, there is no evidence of any material openly anti-semitic signs or statements at the UT rally.

But....EVEN IF THERE WERE....non-violent/non-threatening anti-semitism, or anti-muslim, or anti-gay, or anti-liberal, or anti-conservative, or anti-motherfuckers who serve red beans and rice without sausage when everyone knows red beans and rice comes WITH sausage, is 100% protected by the First Amendment and such speech cannot be repressed based on its content.  LOATHSOME SPEECH IS PROTECTED.  That's the whole fucking point.  It's a really important point.  Because I'm convinced that Donald Trump finds speech that says "Trump is a criminal unfit for office" is loathsome, and the jackboots should crack the skulls of anyone who says it.  And I'm sure there are those on the left who find speech that says "vote Republican" loathsome, and pro-Republican demonstrators should be beaten.

Fuck both of those positions.  "I don't like the content/message" is never, ever, not even once, a justification for cracking down on a demonstration.  If you don't like that, GTFO, because you are unwilling to follow one of our more essential foundational and formational values.

• Hook 'Em 4

17 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Explains why you think the world is getting more dangerous.  You seek out stupid shit to be offended by and scared of.  

13 minutes ago, huge said:

I havent been paying close attention, but is the president of the University of Texas at Austin not a progressive type?  He's in cahoots with the Abbott/Patrick/Paxton/MAGA cabal?

That seems incongruous?  Or at least very unexpected...

He's a finance professor, and everyone knows those guys are suspect.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Explains why you think the world is getting more dangerous.  You seek out stupid shit to be offended by and scared of.  

LOL, you think I talk about this cloak room shit outside of this board and specifically outside of 4 threads - Arab Spring, Ukraine War, Israel-Hamas, and Palestinian rallies?

spider-man.gif.42b8e9004cbbc392c74481b086dc4287.gif

34 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Googled this meme and the saying is attributed to Jim Treacher (not real name of course) a blogger for The Daily Caller, Tucker Carlson’s website. Good to know what parts of the internet you hang out on to come across this “meme.”

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Fuck both of those positions.  "I don't like the content/message" is never, ever, not even once, a justification for cracking down on a demonstration.  If you don't like that, GTFO, because you are unwilling to follow one of our more essential foundational and formational values.

That is actually a good question - I don't think I've stated where I stand. Hate rallies when they are a minority are good for free speech. Hate rallies when they are a majority are problematic. You went to the BLM rallies. What if there were rallies that BLdidn'tM? Fine. Now what if those rallies were 20 times larger than the BLM groups? We have a problem. I hate to play the Nazi card, but that has actually happened to jews in the recent past - when my parents were being born and when some of my grandparents were of fight or flight age. So, when there is now a mix of anti-Israel and antisemitic sentiment, is it just the current conflict or is there something deep seeded? It is debatable. So when the jewish fraternities and sororities side with breaking up the rally and preventing some of the shit that is going on around other college campuses while having to increase security at their houses - all I can say is that I'm conflicted. Some of this needs to be nipped in the bud before it sprouts - leaders should be leading. In the absence of that, I'm not sure what is the best way to make change happen. How do you feel if things get out of control around the US? What about around the world? When do you stand up?

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That is actually a good question - I don't think I've stated where I stand. Hate rallies when they are a minority are good for free speech. Hate rallies when they are a majority are problematic. You went to the BLM rallies. What if there were rallies that BLdidn'tM? Fine. Now what if those rallies were 20 times larger than the BLM groups? We have a problem. I hate to play the Nazi card, but that has actually happened to jews in the recent past - when my parents were being born and when some of my grandparents were of fight or flight age. So, when there is now a mix of anti-Israel and antisemitic sentiment, is it just the current conflict or is there something deep seeded? It is debatable. So when the jewish fraternities and sororities side with breaking up the rally and preventing some of the shit that is going on around other college campuses while having to increase security at their houses - all I can say is that I'm conflicted. Some of this needs to be nipped in the bud before it sprouts - leaders should be leading. In the absence of that, I'm not sure what is the best way to make change happen. How do you feel if things get out of control around the US? What about around the world? When do you stand up?

None of what you are talking about is descriptive of what happened on Wednesday at UT. Why do you insist upon talking about everything EXCEPT what happened at Texas?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

The simple answer: you don't solve that VERY REAL problem with the boot of the government.  You have to solve it by doing the work against it.

And yes, I know that those things can fail, because THEY HAVE FAILED, AND THEY ARE FAILING.  I have no problem with people on Jan 6th standing outside and protesting an election result they don't like.  When they entered the Capitol, they should have been shot.  But in between that is the problem with their message -- lies about election fraud, meant to undermine our entire civil society and government.  We HAVE to fight back against those with everything we have.

When you see nazis, you stand against them.  Every time.  You show society this is not okay, we do not condone it, we will stand and fight against that.  I did just that a year or two ago when the nazis showed up in my neighborhood.  I wanted my neighbors to know that they were not alone, and that we have their back.  So I went out there with my own statements and sign, on my own.  That was not an act of the government.  It was an act of the people to take back our society.  That's what we have to do.  The nazis I protested were abhorrent slime.  But I did not call the cops on them, nor would I have wanted that to happen, as they were being peaceful.  Slimy and evil, but peaceful.

We have to do the work.  WE have to do the work.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Captainant said:

None of what you are talking about is descriptive of what happened on Wednesday at UT. Why do you insist upon talking about everything EXCEPT what happened at Texas?

If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts.  If you have the law on your side, pound the law.   If you have neither the facts nor the law, pound the table.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

And this.  Painting a movement/position that you don't agree with as necessarily anti-semitic is not doing anyone, including you and your cause, any favors.

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

a sign with an israeli flag on it and suggesting a "Final Solution." 

It would be disingenuous to cite that without a clear indication of who the receiving end of that "Final Solution" is. Is the sign simply pointing out the hypocrisy and parallels between what Israel is doing to a class of people it perceives as "undesirables" and what Nazis did? If so, that's very different from calling for a Holocaust.

You be the judge:

GMCXFrOXkAAALXH?format=jpg&name=large

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Covri said:

Googled this meme and the saying is attributed to Jim Treacher (not real name of course) a blogger for The Daily Caller, Tucker Carlson’s website. Good to know what parts of the internet you hang out on to come across this “meme.”

wrong - but good research - I got it when trying to spell keffiyeh correctly - directly from google images. I guess even in shit places there can be gold.

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Please, neg more of my posts while you refuse to actually address what happened at the University of Texas. 

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Please, neg more of my posts while you refuse to actually address what happened at the University of Texas. 

You so desperately want to get in on the conversation I'm having with Brisket. We'll invite you to lunch.

Just now, lucious leftfoot said:

Since this is a news thread, could I get a link to how many skulls were cracked?

I think the real question is how many students and community members had their expression and sincerely-held anti-genocide beliefs suppressed due to the stated intention of the governor to crack skulls?

14 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I don’t know. I guess maybe don’t suck off on Hamas and cry fowl when the chickens come home to roost? Like this is a very organized protest across college campuses for what purpose? educate all of us on how sad it is? This 1000 year old war. Make us stop what exactly? Protesting the strikes on Gaza for what end? Why now? Especially after an unprecedented attack by Hamas. These fucks protesting need to go the fuck home. Go home. 

You have to pick a side in this war. Sitting and cover your faces and crying about a thousand plus year old war. I have sympathy  for the innocent people in harms way. But this is bullshit and these hired fucks should go the fuck home. 

if you do what you’ve always done you will get what you’ve always gotten. The Middle East and Russia remind me of this. Still trying to do the same shit and get different results. Maybe I don’t know try new leadership. Find better leadership. I have about as much sympathy overall for the Middle East as I do the Russian people. Time and again they choose poorly. Boo the fuck hoo. 

if I seem pissed the fuck off I am. I rarely wade into this shit. I’m Lebanese, Jewish and German/english. I studied history. What the fuck do I know? Not much. Go home protesting dumb fucks. Go home. And who paid them to organize like this? And fuck them too. 

Where is your proof that these people are pro Hamas? You're just throwing around accusations with absolutely nothing to back it up. Just unbelievable!

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

You so desperately want to get in on the conversation I'm having with Brisket. We'll invite you to lunch.

I'd like you to just acknowledge that what is happening elsewhere in the world isn't what happened at UT. That's all. You've been hostile to me from the beginning of this thread for reasons I don't understand. I don't agree with everything pro-Palestinian protesters want. And if they had engaged in violent, destructive, or threatening behavior, I'm would have been all on board with the cops being called in. But that isn't what happened at UT. And you don't get to punish people before they do something. That's how you get stars. That's how you get ghettos. That's how you get a holocaust.  

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

Where is your proof that these people are pro Hamas? You're just throwing around accusations with absolutely nothing to back it up. Just unbelievable!

She just has a sub-Wikipedia level knowledge of the conflict and its players and just assumes anyone who is anti-Zionist is pro-Hamas or antisemitic. It's hardly an uncommon phenomenon.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

It would be disingenuous to cite that without a clear indication of who the receiving end of that "Final Solution" is. Is the sign simply pointing out the hypocrisy and parallels between what Israel is doing to a class of people it perceives as "undesirables" and what Nazis did? If so, that's very different from calling for a Holocaust.

You be the judge:

GMCXFrOXkAAALXH?format=jpg&name=large

The United States thankfully has very wide discretion of freedom of speech, which allows us to identify the true pieces of shit like you who can find ways to justify tossing out “Final Solution” at Jews.  This is garbage person shit, go crawl back in your fucking dumpster. 

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

There's a lot of people here that make fun of aggie in the aggie thread for being so stupid and then go and share their dumb aggie opinions on actual issues in the world. It's really weird.

I’ve been negged on this site for saying portions of our fanbase are no different than A&M fans when it comes to social ad cultural issues. Thanks @52-80.

• Hook 'Em 2