Breckyn Hager thread of insanity and hair dominance

Machinator

7 minutes ago, FizzleFish said:

He is no different than the rest of our front 7.  Charles had several good games and then a bunch of nothing. No one in the front 7 jumps out at you.

We got more just like this coming if you like that....

All I know is that I love when Malcolm Roach is in.  Dude brings some pain and it was a sigh of relief after he went out injured to see him back.

Hager, congrats on your career and graduation from Texas.  You deserve a big congratulations for your hard work and devotion. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

They should build a statue of Hager running into the backfield and a RB running past him 

This cracked me up. Or getting flagged for a personal foul. He played with heart but rarely with any talent. He was a tweener that could not play end in a three man front or play in space. 

I think the face mask penalty he had today was his biggest contribution. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

This cracked me up. Or getting flagged for a personal foul. He played with heart but rarely with any talent. He was a tweener that could not play end in a three man front or play in space. 

I think the face mask penalty he had today was his biggest contribution. 

Yep, why the neg for wanting Roach in for Hager?  Doesn't matter as there is only one more game and we don't have to argue anymore about it.

Props to Hager, he made a name for himself and his own brand honestly.  Hopes he turns it in to good money because all Texas players and grads deserve a good life.

9 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

1 tackle, 0 haircuts, deleted Twitter.

Sorry, he's a douche.  If he didn't play for Texas, he'd be the running joke on this entire board.

Yeah....in the end, this guy simply wasn't a very good football player.

Though it's kind of exciting to know you can win 9 games starting a guy at DE who does literally nothing all year. Imagine when you actually have a player at that position.

10 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah....in the end, this guy simply wasn't a very good football player.

Though it's kind of exciting to know you can win 9 games starting a guy at DE who does literally nothing all year. Imagine when you actually have a player at that position.

I would be more concerned that the coaches thought he was the best you had at that position.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

There are some pretty big cunts on this thread.

Hager is what he is. A 3 star late addition / steal from Baylor. If we had better options, they would have been playing, or you should be criticizing the coaches for playing an inferior player.

We are all pretty pissed after yesterday, but let’s not eat our own.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Jkwellborn said:

I thought I saw him on the field some yesterday. But yeah he was hurt a couple of weeks ago.

He was on the field yesterday some. Side note, We had some interesting heavy fronts we tried to go with yesterday. 

Edited by taybo20

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Was it a lack of talent? Effort seemed there somdid desire. I think the preseason hype and freak talk may have went to his head. He seemed better standing up off the edge then hand in the ground 

Yeah, you pretty much got it. He was also playing injured for the last third of the season.

If he didn't run his mouth as much and receive as much preseason love from reporters and such, I think the perspective on him would be much different. Ranked in the 1500s coming out of college, low 3-star, lifetime Longhorn and a legacy who outperformed his modest talent.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Was it a lack of talent? Effort seemed there somdid desire. I think the preseason hype and freak talk may have went to his head. He seemed better standing up off the edge then hand in the ground 

He was playing injured. Sure he's a weird dude and doesn't play well in space, but he is a good teammate and the players love him. The coaches just seem to tolerate him. 

I just wish he would've done more theatrics to draw the holding calls. Because the shit12 didn't give us one holding call (other than the one that was offset). 

Pretty sad when the top d linemen cant get pressure or draw a hold. It's almost like OU line is allowed to bend the rules a bit.

6 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Yeah he just wasn’t a game changer. He had some better pieces around him last year which gave him the ability to rush with little consequence. More was asked of him this year, and he just wasn’t good enough really. He clearly fought hard and has lots of passion. He was also hurt a lot since Oklahoma State. 

I love it when players talk smack, providing they back it up on the field.... Hey if Hager wants to draw attention to himself by growing his hair down to his ass, wearing sunglasses, bandanas, and Willie Nelson braids at post game interviews and saying OU sucks, be my guest.... just back all those theatrics with some actual on the field theatrics. He didn't do anything in this game. Did he ever even touch Murray?  All I saw was him getting stood up straight all damn day on the line of scrimmage.  You can't do all that other shit and suck on the field.

Edited by Horns1
  • Like 5

Truth is he doesn’t appear to be physically strong. I haven’t seen his numbers in the weight room. But if I had to throw a guess out there he lifted more along the lines of DB’s and safety’s. Then he did with LB’s and linemen. If he does lift with his group then his technique must be really bad.

That lack of strength was a huge liability in filling up space. Opposing teams played against him like he wasn’t there.

I don't think he has the frame to dominate on the DLine.  He's exceptionally well built, but lacks size.  Pound for pound, he's likely one of the strongest on the team.
Senior defensive end Breckyn Hager can power clean 360 pounds (second best on the team), has added 150 pounds to his back squat, and increased his vertical to 38 inches, one of the best on the team. That’s Brian Robison territory, and defensive coordinator Todd Orlando surely won’t make any more mistakes in miscasting him as a linebacker or keeping him off the field.
https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/3/19/17140844/texas-longhorns-strength-conditioning-yancy-mcknight-spring-practice-breckyn-hager-charles-omenihu
He is exceptionally strong, pound for pound. By that metric, he was the strongest on the team in winter workouts. I had hoped that his combination of strength and quickness would make him an effective pass rusher, but that didn't happen. He struggled to get penetration, and when he got it, he often made bad decisions.

On 12/2/2018 at 9:43 AM, JerryHubbard said:

There are some pretty big cunts on this thread.

Hager is what he is. A 3 star late addition / steal from Baylor. If we had better options, they would have been playing, or you should be criticizing the coaches for playing an inferior player.

We are all pretty pissed after yesterday, but let’s not eat our own.

He's playing out of position as a DE in a 3 man front.  He's quite undersized for the position and it shows but that's where Texas needed him to play.  Keep in mind that Chris Nelson was playing in this same spot last season.  Hager hasn't been that effective but he's 50 lbs lighter and a lot easier to move than Nelly.  That's not exactly his fault and there's no reason to dump on him for it.

Remember that Hager was pretty effective playing the edge as a Buck LB last year.  I doubt he suddenly decided to suck.  He's just a bad option with his hand on the ground and is only playing there because the other options were worse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anyone know how many snaps he played this year? Not defending some of the awful games he had but he at least played hard and probably kept our paper thin DLine depth from getting exposed this season.

Regardless of what you think of Hager our pass rush was piss poor all season against any team with a good OL running a spread offense. We just can't have less than 5 starting-caliber pass rushers. It's going to be our worst position group next season.

• Machinator changed the title to Breckyn Hager thread of insanity and hair dominance