CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

17 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Apparently Duke now down to Elliot and Elko with Elliot considered the front runner. Duke looking to interview Elko in person (Elliot has already interviewed in person), both have interviewed remotely.  Elko is said to definitely want the job.

I wouldn't be shocked if Elko was the guy after the face to face. He interviews well has a better resume under multiple coaches/places.

Elliot was already told "no" by Virginia and is a much bigger risk. His resume has been built off having Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence running his offense.  The offense he ran was him just continuing what Chad Morris installed before him though so he's not shown to be very innovative past that.  This years offensive struggles for Clemson can't help his resume either.

I Hope Please GIF

Yeah, Elliott will probably need to keep looking and unfortunately for him, Allen High School already has their guy. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, orangebird said:

The whole process where Miami fired Manny Diaz and hired Cristobal feels dirty to me.  I don't know why any self-respecting coach would ever take that job after this.  Guess it comes down to location, location, location.

But it reminds me of the old adage about unfaithful lovers: if they cheat with you, then eventually, they will also cheat on you.

He got paid $8mm to go away. I don’t have any crocodile tears for Manny

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Apparently Duke now down to Elliot and Elko with Elliot considered the front runner. Duke looking to interview Elko in person (Elliot has already interviewed in person), both have interviewed remotely.  Elko is said to definitely want the job.

I wouldn't be shocked if Elko was the guy after the face to face. He interviews well has a better resume under multiple coaches/places.

Elliot was already told "no" by Virginia and is a much bigger risk. His resume has been built off having Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence running his offense.  The offense he ran was him just continuing what Chad Morris installed before him though so he's not shown to be very innovative past that.  This years offensive struggles for Clemson can't help his resume either.

I Hope Please GIF

just curious...but how in the fuck do you know that Elko "interviews well"?

• Haha 2

Tech hiring Tim Deruyter to be the new Defensive Coordinator.

I think this is a great hire for us.  Time to try a real attacking defense on the South Plains and rid ourselves of the bend-until-you-break styles we've been using for the past 20+ years.

Edited by Uncle Nate

9 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

I think this is a great hire for us.  Time to try a real attacking defensive on the South Plains and rid ourselves of the bend-until-you-break styles we've been using for the past 20+ years.

I thought Ruffin McNeil ran an attacking scheme 

Edited by ClubWhatever

17 hours ago, Bodhi said:

Mark Whipple, Pitt's OC coming off a big year, resigns and is expected to take the same position at Nebraska.  This is an odd fit to me outside of the big raise he will get.  He led one of the nations top passing offenses but is going to a team with no QBs that can pass.  Also, Frost is 50/50 to survive next year which could make Whipple's stay in Lincoln quite short.  Maybe he is just really old and wants to cash it one last time?

Most of us here in Pittsburgh are scratching our heads over this move. Apparently Narduzzi and Whipple do not see eye-to-eye on a lot of things but, this year was very successful and Whipple did a terrific job with Kenny. And Kenny did a great job, too. It's just strange. But that seems normal now.

40 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

just curious...but how in the fuck do you know that Elko "interviews well"?

by watching his interviews...  I just meant he comes off as a positive guy that's confident without being condescending and I can't see that being a hindrince given his resume.  Some guys have great resumes but after they interview schools move on from them... Elko doesn't seem to be one of those guys.

14 hours ago, orangebird said:

The whole process where Miami fired Manny Diaz and hired Cristobal feels dirty to me.  I don't know why any self-respecting coach would ever take that job after this.  Guess it comes down to location, location, location.

But it reminds me of the old adage about unfaithful lovers: if they cheat with you, then eventually, they will also cheat on you.

I take it you slept through the Saban and Meyer to Texas boondoggles when we were trying to rid ourselves of Mack and Tom ? 

Its really not any different, and to your point maybe this is how we ended up with Strong and Sark instead of a big fish. 

Edited by BigHornedLurker

13 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

by watching his interviews...  I just meant he comes off as a positive guy that's confident without being condescending and I can't see that being a hindrince given his resume.  Some guys have great resumes but after they interview schools move on from them... Elko doesn't seem to be one of those guys.

you mean watching highly edited TV snippets that are about 30 seconds long....which doesn't have fuck all to do with the type of interview one gives when someone is deciding to hand you the keys to an 8 figure operation and pay you multi-millions per year to do it.

fucks sake, son...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Uncle Nate said:

I think this is a great hire for us.  Time to try a real attacking defense on the South Plains and rid ourselves of the bend-until-you-break styles we've been using for the past 20+ years.

I agree that for Tech, that is a great hire.

So looks like Duke will be down to Elko and outside chance Jason Garrett??

Hold up.. Duke still making decision and this may force their hand if they want Elliot...

"Word from Duke is that this news could speed up the process and that a decision/ offer could come as early as today."

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

having to endure The Sports Mammal while driving yesterday they were talking about Manny and how they did not like what happened, but also what he did to Temple.....then the one host with the really grating voice Jim Traber said Manny will be OK someone will hire him to be a DC and he will come in and run a fundamentally unsound scheme like at Texas and elsewhere and get paid to do it  

39 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Botched the interview by saying we should lower academic standards for football players?  I’d say UVa botched their program. 

Yeah, apparently the in person interview was more of a formality and they planned to announce him as their coach right after... he was done being inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame last night....

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, J.Peterman said:

Elko to Duke would be huge for us I'd think, not just for this year's close but in future years as well.  Man, I hope things continue to trend that way and it comes to fruition.

If it works perfectly... Robinson gets poached as do-DC to Penn State followed a day or two later of Elko taking HC of Duke.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

In his first year at Cal he took a unit long neglected by Sonny Dykes and made them dominant. The defense is still decent now that he's been gone a couple of years but the change is noticeable.

Good hire. Hopefully now you have a HC who won't let the offense go to shit.

2 hours ago, MIkeHoncho said:

so Duke was down to Elko and Elliot, and Elliot is now off the table.  Can we bring this one out?  

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Duke's a tough gig to win at. Cutcliffe had them ranked to finish a season in 2013 (10-4), and then you have to go all the way back to 1962 to find the next most recent season they finished ranked. Lots of losing seasons mixed in there. I guess if Wake can be a winning program, Duke can as well. But you would think a guy like Elko would hang on for a P5 school that is just currently in the dumps.....not perpetually in the dumps. The pressure is probably less there however, and everyone in Durham will probably be too wrapped up in how Jon Scheyer does replacing Coach K for the next couple of years to even notice the football team's record. 

17 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Duke's a tough gig to win at. Cutcliffe had them ranked to finish a season in 2013 (10-4), and then you have to go all the way back to 1962 to find the next most recent season they finished ranked. Lots of losing seasons mixed in there. I guess if Wake can be a winning program, Duke can as well. But you would think a guy like Elko would hang on for a P5 school that is just currently in the dumps.....not perpetually in the dumps. The pressure is probably less there however, and everyone in Durham will probably be too wrapped up in how Jon Scheyer does replacing Coach K for the next couple of years to even notice the football team's record. 

It's a stepping stone job. When Cutcliffe had Duke as an average program he was rumored for big jobs. 

You go 8-4 or 7-5 at Duke you're going to get a better job in a few years. 

I am not an LSU "hater" at all in fact I generally like their fans and like their contribution to making aggy their bitch, but Brian K. is not going to be a fucking good fit there at all

I understand they needed a "clean guy" after Lester turned out to have some Old Freak Nasty in him and after Eddie O. just went into complete "fuck it I'm rich bitch who cares" mode, but shit LSU could find themselves in a deep hole at the end of this hire....but hey as long as he can keep beating Jumbo who cares right!

• Hook 'Em 2