CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

21 minutes ago, The Dog said:

They'd better hope Mario doesn't back out. Shitty way to treat someone no matter what you think of Diaz as a coach.

I hope the football Gods give Miami the curse they’ve placed on us and let us free for the way the just did Diaz 

Ncaa Football Please GIF by ESPN College Football

12 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Looking at all the crazy contracts coaches are getting right now, in hindsight did we really shoot for Urban with our 10M/yr offer and did he say NO or NOt enough.  

6 months Later Jimbo gets a $95M contract, 9 months later so does amel fucking Tucker at MSU, and USC/LSU all proving money talks and we were still value shopping 

If we were serious and offered something like 6yr/150M 7LS would not be our coach right now.

Taking the orange glasses off, yes we did and he looked at what a shitshow we are and said no thanks. If half the stories about bmd meddling, infighting in the ADs office, the politicking/hand shaking required. I can see why football coaches would pass. IMO in order to be success at Texas not only do you need to win you need to be like Mack, a baby kissing politician.

• Rage+1 1

on the topic of informing players first as riley and kelly both got heat for the manner in which they left.. espn all but confirms cristobal to miami, pending a player meeting. hahaha. i guess this is the new standard. fire coach (or coach leaves), hire new coach, leak to media, “inform players,” confirm new hire. i find the leak to media step ridiculous for some odd reason- why not just inform the players first, then make it public. it’s an unnecessary circus.

38 minutes ago, G650 said:

The problem with Miami is culture. I love me some Canes, but until they get the athletic department some real hardcore leadership, I don't think the coach matters.

They need to go back to their roots of recruiting high talent/low character players.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Bodhi said:

So Oregon now "steals" Chip Kelly from UCLA and UCLA brings back Jim Mora from UCONN?  Circle complete.

Unless Uncle Phil demands it, I can't imagine what they'd see in Chip.  I really doubt they even consider him.  Happy if he bolts though.  

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

It will definitely be interesting to see who Oregon targets.  It not like they necessarily need someone with ties to the West as they have to recruit nationally in any event.  And no doubt they are motivated given Riley/USC move.

They promoted from within on 3 of last 4 hires.  Their one external hire was Willie Taggart.  Should be really interesting to see if they get the gang back together (Chip/Helfrich), promote from within again, try and steal another top 20 HC, or go the up and coming coordinator approach.  Kiffin isn't going there but I kind of love the idea of him being the face of Nike U and trolling the PAC

Edited by Bodhi

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Aranda to Oregon makes sense.  He's a west coast guy, Oregon can match whatever Baylor will pay and then some, and playing in the Pac 12 is better than a floundering version of the Big XII.  Not sure if there's a better candidate out there right now.

This is where I would place my bet as well.

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This is where I would place my bet as well.

wayyyy too many uppity baylor folks near my neighborhood. This would be my preference. 

Not scared about Venables plus whomever at OC, that's actually kind of a relief.  I'm sure he will turn out a better defense at OU than what they've had recently, but it's a stretch to think they will be as potent on offense. Not a bad hire, but a downgrade from what they had going with Riley.  

17 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

wayyyy too many uppity baylor folks near my neighborhood. This would be my preference. 

Not scared about Venables plus whomever at OC, that's actually kind of a relief.  I'm sure he will turn out a better defense at OU than what they've had recently, but it's a stretch to think they will be as potent on offense. Not a bad hire, but a downgrade from what they had going with Riley.  

Sounds like it's going to be Lebby

https://footballscoop.com/news/oklahoma-sooners-brent-venables-jeff-lebby-lane-kiffin-ole-miss-sec

3 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Timing makes sense. If Kiffen would have gotten Miami gig then Ole Miss likely hires Lebby.   It will be interesting to see how they handle Caleb Williams considering it was pretty much common knowledge Dillon Gabriel went to the portal to reunite with Lebby.    You would think Venables/Lebby have to go all in to keep CW in the fold which, if successful, would leave DG as a great option for someone.

59 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Your analysis is slightly flawed when considering the aggregate.

No, they probably will not score as much, but they probably won’t surrender as many points. 

1 hour ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Your analysis is slightly flawed when considering the aggregate.

No, they probably will not score as much, but they probably won’t surrender as many points. 

I'll take that chance right now.  Being a HC is very different from being a good (or great) DC.  Also like the odds that Lebby bolts as soon as he gets a good HC offer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

Burnt Ends pays the walk-on tight ends, right?

Yes, the entire depth chart is what we do. 

2 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

I don’t know. But in the grand scheme of things most of the boilerplate has been for scholarship athletes.

Lots of questions about that because of the other sports and what to means 

It's 16 slots, there are usually that many scholarship players. read into it however you want. 

2 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

The last sentence of the HWH press release says that CFC is a major contributor. Not sure if that means some portion of the $800k is funded from the $10MM 

As said before they are 2 different orgs, not tied at the hip in any way.

16 hours ago, Vertigo said:

As is tradition, the new coach straddles the long rig and puts the end in Stoop's mouth, then walks forward to shake his hand.

If they want to know the top-end speed to that wagon they should hitch Stoops to it and extend a cane pole with a dick dangling from the end.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Will blOU Compliance approve Lebby is only hurdle that has to be cleared.  Ragin' Cajuns may offer head coach job to Lebby. Miami and LSU night bid on Lebby too.

Kendall Briles name has been mentioned but same baggage.  Graham Harrell rumors to blOU getting some legs as well..

Edited by LTtxfan
damn autocorrect

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Will blOU Compliance approve Lebby is only hurdle that has to be cleared.  Ragin' Cajuns may offer head coach job to Lebby. Miami and LSU night bid on Lebby too.

Kendall Briles name has been mentioned but same baggage.  Graham Harrell rumors to blOU getting some legs as well..

From yesterday…

DrummBeat: On Cain| More on staff| Recruiting notes

Brandon Drumm

Spoiler

Brandon Drumm

Look, I was told about an hour ago he had resigned from OU and signed a non-binding offer letter to USC to be Co-DC there.

This is a tough blow, but what I can tell you is that Bill Bedenbaugh is looking more and more like he is staying. How that plays out, we shall see.

Also, I’m hearing Calvin Thibodeaux is one that could be retained, as will Demarco Murray, Joe Jon Finley (with WKU assistant getting OC job at Tech & it sounds like he has a job as this point), and Cale Gundy.

Lastly, sources I spoke with seem to think Brian Odom is at USC. I think that is probably a fact with how the Kobie Mckinzie situation has played and him committing to Texas.

*** Brent Venables has been in contact with Carl and Caleb Williams, but I’m told it was “just exchanging pleasantries” to this point. How that will go from here is anyone’s guess, and with the info I have from sources with direct knowledge of it all, it really is in how OU can sell the future vision and development.

Don’t take that as Caleb won’t stay because it’s not remotely close to being a done deal and there is going to be a sit down with everyone that needs to be involved very, very soon.

*** Want a crazy side note? I have had two very, very knowledgeable folks in the Arch Manning recruiting process tell OUinsider that Jeff Lebby and the Manning’s are very close. I told one of the sources I didn’t buy the fact Lebby could get Manning interested in OU and that source told me, “It’s not far-fetched at all. Manning’s love Lebby. That was a big deal with Ole Miss and Arch.”

I’m not there with Lebby not being announced yet and also the fact it seems so late in the game. That said, it’s OU and that is something to at least take into consideration in this deal, but I’m at a I’ll believe it when I see state, regardless of what I’m told by a few credible sources.

That’s how I would approach that if I’m you all too, but wanted you aware of what I’m hearing.

*** As for DC, Arkansas DC Barry Odom is a name. I was questioning it the last day or so, but his name is one to watch nonetheless. He runs a similar style to BV and has string connections here.

Could OU swap Odom or Odom? We will see. Haven’t gotten anything substantial yet from anyone in Fayetteville, so this is all just rumors at this point.

*** I’m told Coach Venables had a big Zoom meeting with 2022 recruits today at 445 central time, per a recruits parent.

Also, I’m told BV and Dindy spoke for bit earlier today. It went well and they loved the hire.

I think how the assistants and how BV plans on using Dindy will be the biggest issue. Regardless, they love how this thing has started. We will see how this goes moving forward, though.

Remember, they had Texas A&M doing an in-home with Dindy last week.

8 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Brandon Drumm

Hide contents

Brandon Drumm

Look, I was told about an hour ago he had resigned from OU and signed a non-binding offer letter to USC to be Co-DC there.

This is a tough blow, but what I can tell you is that Bill Bedenbaugh is looking more and more like he is staying. How that plays out, we shall see.

Also, I’m hearing Calvin Thibodeaux is one that could be retained, as will Demarco Murray, Joe Jon Finley (with WKU assistant getting OC job at Tech & it sounds like he has a job as this point), and Cale Gundy.

Lastly, sources I spoke with seem to think Brian Odom is at USC. I think that is probably a fact with how the Kobie Mckinzie situation has played and him committing to Texas.

*** Brent Venables has been in contact with Carl and Caleb Williams, but I’m told it was “just exchanging pleasantries” to this point. How that will go from here is anyone’s guess, and with the info I have from sources with direct knowledge of it all, it really is in how OU can sell the future vision and development.

Don’t take that as Caleb won’t stay because it’s not remotely close to being a done deal and there is going to be a sit down with everyone that needs to be involved very, very soon.

*** Want a crazy side note? I have had two very, very knowledgeable folks in the Arch Manning recruiting process tell OUinsider that Jeff Lebby and the Manning’s are very close. I told one of the sources I didn’t buy the fact Lebby could get Manning interested in OU and that source told me, “It’s not far-fetched at all. Manning’s love Lebby. That was a big deal with Ole Miss and Arch.”

I’m not there with Lebby not being announced yet and also the fact it seems so late in the game. That said, it’s OU and that is something to at least take into consideration in this deal, but I’m at a I’ll believe it when I see state, regardless of what I’m told by a few credible sources.

That’s how I would approach that if I’m you all too, but wanted you aware of what I’m hearing.

*** As for DC, Arkansas DC Barry Odom is a name. I was questioning it the last day or so, but his name is one to watch nonetheless. He runs a similar style to BV and has string connections here.

Could OU swap Odom or Odom? We will see. Haven’t gotten anything substantial yet from anyone in Fayetteville, so this is all just rumors at this point.

*** I’m told Coach Venables had a big Zoom meeting with 2022 recruits today at 445 central time, per a recruits parent.

Also, I’m told BV and Dindy spoke for bit earlier today. It went well and they loved the hire.

I think how the assistants and how BV plans on using Dindy will be the biggest issue. Regardless, they love how this thing has started. We will see how this goes moving forward, though.

Remember, they had Texas A&M doing an in-home with Dindy last week.

Does every school have these guys?  "Here are the things I'm hearing out there.  No one knows if the Delta State Fighting Okra have a shot with..."

• Haha 2