CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

8 minutes ago, Crockett said:

Since everyone likes to talk about "cultural fit..."

...this is not it.

Not because of the LDS thing, but because everything Sitake appears to stand for in his program is basically the opposite of the Oregon Way. They could do a helluva lot worse, though. Sitake is solid. 

My gut tells me Oregon will try to money whip Aranda from Baylor, as they would have no problem outbidding Baylor for his services.  Whether Aranda would make the move remains to be seen.

I think Sitake would be an excellent choice, but yeah, I think there would be a potential cultural mismatch there.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they make overtures to Chip Kelly/Helfrich and try and get the band back together again.

The Oregonian also has mentioned Bill O'Brien as a candidate.  I think that would be a huge fuckup for them, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, flatdawgs said:

Since everyone likes to talk about "cultural fit..."

...this is not it.

Not because of the LDS thing, but because everything Sitake appears to stand for in his program is basically the opposite of the Oregon Way. They could do a helluva lot worse, though. Sitake is solid. 

So was Odd Job. 

Our insiders are now saying Chip to Oregon may have more legs than originally thought.  First, Uncle Phil and former AD and booster Pat Kilkenny are both close with Chip, and it is felt that if they want him, they get him.  Also, our AD Martin Jarmond is playing a little hardball on the extension.  As he should.  Chip has the worst record of any coach over 4 years in UCLA history.  He's lucky we'd even consider an extension.  Also, Chip just fired Dunn and hired Sexton.  UCLA (but not Jarmond) has a major axe to grind with Sexton and the way he leveraged Mora into more dough.  

The question would become would the Oregon faithful be open to Chip's return?  Feeling is more would be than wouldn't be.  And UCLA is not going to get into a bidding war for a shitty recruiter with Oregon.  Oregon has built their team on top flight recruiting.  Would Chip change his tune on recruiting?  Who knows. 

Yesterday I would have said the likelihood was slim to none.  Today, maybe a bit more likely.  Oh, and Oregon will receive $9 mil from Miami to buy Cristobal out of his deal.  UCLA/Chip have a reciprocal buyout until Jan 15.  The amount?  $9 mil.  They can just endorse the check over to us. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Our insiders are now saying Chip to Oregon may have more legs than originally thought.  First, Uncle Phil and former AD and booster Pat Kilkenny are both close with Chip, and it is felt that if they want him, they get him.  Also, our AD Martin Jarmond is playing a little hardball on the extension.  As he should.  Chip has the worst record of any coach over 4 years in UCLA history.  He's lucky we'd even consider an extension.  Also, Chip just fired Dunn and hired Sexton.  UCLA (but not Jarmond) has a major axe to grind with Sexton and the way he leveraged Mora into more dough.  

The question would become would the Oregon faithful be open to Chip's return?  Feeling is more would be than wouldn't be.  And UCLA is not going to get into a bidding war for a shitty recruiter with Oregon.  Oregon has built their team on top flight recruiting.  Would Chip change his tune on recruiting?  Who knows. 

Yesterday I would have said the likelihood was slim to none.  Today, maybe a bit more likely.  Oh, and Oregon will receive $9 mil from Miami to buy Cristobal out of his deal.  UCLA/Chip have a reciprocal buyout until Jan 15.  The amount?  $9 mil.  They can just endorse the check over to us. 

Y’all better be ready to back up the brinks trucks to replace him if it happens. Gotta combat that new Trojan shine

10 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Y’all better be ready to back up the brinks trucks to replace him if it happens. Gotta combat that new Trojan shine

But honestly, is that the right approach, just get into a contract that if it doesn't work out hamstrings you for years?  Or a bright young coordinator who has the upside?  I don't know, but these 8-10 year fully guaranteed deals seem like a potential disaster.

If we could only get David Geffen to donate the hundreds of millions he has to the medical school/health system to the football program instead, we'd be in business.  Sure, medical advancements may suffer, but we could win more games!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

But honestly, is that the right approach, just get into a contract that if it doesn't work out hamstrings you for years?  Or a bright young coordinator who has the upside?  I don't know, but these 8-10 year fully guaranteed deals seem like a potential disaster.

If we could only get David Geffen to donate the hundreds of millions he has to the medical school/health system to the football program instead, we'd be in business.  Sure, medical advancements may suffer, but we could win more games!

See the source image

Edited by Bevo14

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, plenty of other schools making medical advancements. Nerds. Only a few elite at football.

10 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

So Elko not going anywhere again?   Got-damn-it.  I was hoping for another melt down.  

Best I can do for you is that Elijah Robinson (DL coach) is a potential target for a number of open jobs.

Perhaps Elko is simply not interested in a head coaching role.  This would have been the year for him to jump ship with all the big time openings.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

One would imagine part of getting the band back to together is leveraging legal NIL to facilitate Chips undesirable recruiting traits. 

It was there before, just under the table. Lashe Seastruck to Oregon (among many others) ring a bell ? 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Would you all almost prefer a fresh start or happy to keep Chip?  

Just now, Skipper said:

Would you all almost prefer a fresh start or happy to keep Chip?  

I think a lot of this is Sexton trying to create competition for Kelly.  But after 4 years of shit, if he thinks he has leverage in these negotiations, he's wrong.  I think Jarmond gives him an extension with a palatable buyout and conditions on coordinators and recruiting.  If he doesn't like it, he can hit the bricks.  And no one would bat an eye.

This guy any good?

Oklahoma State isn’t the only OSU with Jim Knowles in its sights.

Ohio State is reportedly eyeing Oklahoma State’s Broyles Award finalist defensive coordinator, according to On3’s Austin Ward, formally of ESPN.

Ohio State doesn’t currently have a vacancy at defensive coordinator, as Kerry Coombs was the Buckeyes DC this past season, but according to multiple reports, changes are believed to be coming.

This isn’t the first blue-blood program that has reportedly been interested in Knowles. Last month, reports surfaced of new Florida coach Bill Napier had Knowles at the top of his list as a potential defensive coordinator.

After the season OSU’s defense had, it was guaranteed that anyone with an opening would at least give Knowles a look. OSU leads the nation in sacks and tackles for loss while ranking third in total defense and second in third-down conversion percentage.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/report-ohio-state-eyeing-jim-knowles-as-defensive-coordinator/

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

This guy any good?

Oklahoma State isn’t the only OSU with Jim Knowles in its sights.

Ohio State is reportedly eyeing Oklahoma State’s Broyles Award finalist defensive coordinator, according to On3’s Austin Ward, formally of ESPN.

Ohio State doesn’t currently have a vacancy at defensive coordinator, as Kerry Coombs was the Buckeyes DC this past season, but according to multiple reports, changes are believed to be coming.

This isn’t the first blue-blood program that has reportedly been interested in Knowles. Last month, reports surfaced of new Florida coach Bill Napier had Knowles at the top of his list as a potential defensive coordinator.

After the season OSU’s defense had, it was guaranteed that anyone with an opening would at least give Knowles a look. OSU leads the nation in sacks and tackles for loss while ranking third in total defense and second in third-down conversion percentage.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/report-ohio-state-eyeing-jim-knowles-as-defensive-coordinator/

IMO, Yes. I'd hate to lose him. 

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

You said he hired Sexton - good luck

2 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Best I can do for you is that Elijah Robinson (DL coach) is a potential target for a number of open jobs.

Perhaps Elko is simply not interested in a head coaching role.  This would have been the year for him to jump ship with all the big time openings.

Robinson is their ace recruiter as well.  I'd have LOVED to see Elko go to LSU with Kelly just for the tears.  

3 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Elko is definitely interested but somebody has to actually give him a P5 gig. He's already interviewed at Duke and their 9.95er make it sound like he's actively trying to get the job. 

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article256397531.html

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Enchubben said:

PSU’s DC left to be the HC at VTech. The safeties coach and co-dc who was in line for the full DC spot seems to be likely leaving to be the HC at UVA. 

Robinson went to PSU and is from NJ. He seems to be a good candidate for the DC spot. Hopefully if he does move, it’s before signing day and he can steal those 5* DL recruits away from aggy. 

5 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

This is super interesting. Chip at Oregon seems right, and he may be getting the hell out of dodge before USC wakes from it's slumber. Does he deserve it? Probably not, but he is a splashy name and a way to save face for Oregon after Miami just nut drug their cheerios. 

Mark Whipple, Pitt's OC coming off a big year, resigns and is expected to take the same position at Nebraska.  This is an odd fit to me outside of the big raise he will get.  He led one of the nations top passing offenses but is going to a team with no QBs that can pass.  Also, Frost is 50/50 to survive next year which could make Whipple's stay in Lincoln quite short.  Maybe he is just really old and wants to cash it one last time?

Edited by Bodhi

The whole process where Miami fired Manny Diaz and hired Cristobal feels dirty to me.  I don't know why any self-respecting coach would ever take that job after this.  Guess it comes down to location, location, location.

But it reminds me of the old adage about unfaithful lovers: if they cheat with you, then eventually, they will also cheat on you.

• Hook 'Em 2

Apparently Duke now down to Elliot and Elko with Elliot considered the front runner. Duke looking to interview Elko in person (Elliot has already interviewed in person), both have interviewed remotely.  Elko is said to definitely want the job.

I wouldn't be shocked if Elko was the guy after the face to face. He interviews well has a better resume under multiple coaches/places.

Elliot was already told "no" by Virginia and is a much bigger risk. His resume has been built off having Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence running his offense.  The offense he ran was him just continuing what Chad Morris installed before him though so he's not shown to be very innovative past that.  This years offensive struggles for Clemson can't help his resume either.

I Hope Please GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1