"it's time for hunters to leave the NRA"

Gil Bang

• 2 weeks later...

Remington Subpoenas Report Cards Of Children Killed At Sandy Hook

Remington, which made the gun used in the 2012 massacre, has received the disciplinary records, report cards and employment records of several victims.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/gunmaker-subpoenas-report-cards-sandy-hook_n_613274e7e4b04778c004e66a

• Rage+1 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

So much for Asimov’s three laws of robotics. 

The Three Laws of Robotics (often shortened to The Three Laws or known as Asimov's Laws) are a set of rules devised by science fiction author Isaac Asimov. The rules were introduced in his 1942 short story "Runaround" (included in the 1950 collection I, Robot), although they had been foreshadowed in some earlier stories. The Three Laws, quoted from the "Handbook of Robotics, 56th Edition, 2058 A.D.", are:[1]

First Law
A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
Second Law
A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
Third Law
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

8 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

The Three Laws of Robotics (often shortened to The Three Laws or known as Asimov's Laws) are a set of rules devised by science fiction author Isaac Asimov. The rules were introduced in his 1942 short story "Runaround" (included in the 1950 collection I, Robot), although they had been foreshadowed in some earlier stories. The Three Laws, quoted from the "Handbook of Robotics, 56th Edition, 2058 A.D.", are:[1]

First Law
A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
Second Law
A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
Third Law
A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Which is why the I, Robot movie sucked so hard. Because it discarded a central premise of the story and just turned it into an action film. (Looks like they’re doing the same with the Foundation series.) Asimov later added a Zeroth Law: A robot may not harm humanity, or, by inaction, allow humanity to come to harm. I won’t say when that happened. I don’t want to give any more of a spoiler than that. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lawmakers named in the suit who are accused of receiving campaign money from the gun group’s alleged scheme are Republicans Sens. Josh Hawley (Mo.), Thom Tillis (N.C.), Ron Johnson (Wis.) and Tom Cotton (Ark.), as well as Rep. Matt Rosendale (R-Mont.) and former Sen. Cory Gardner (R- Colo.).

“Through this scheme, two NRA affiliates made up to $35 million in illegal, excessive, and unreported campaign contributions across the 2014, 2016 and 2018 elections, including up to $25 million to the Trump campaign in 2016,” the lawsuit alleges. “These coordinated contributions violate the Federal Election Campaign’s Act’s (‘FECA’) contribution limits, corporate contribution ban, and disclosure requirements."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nra-lawsuit-trump_n_6183eec8e4b087e2ef93fc0b

Edited by Bullneck
  • Rage+1 1

Secret tape reveals NRA leaders referring to supporters as "hillbillies" and "fruitcakes" in the wake of Columbine

It's absolutely what you would expect from the leadership of the NRA, but of course it's not going to impact the views of the "hillbillies" and "fruitcakes" that vote however the NRA tells them to vote.  That said, I would love more audio / video leaks of GQP leadership saying what they really think about the useful idiots comprising their single-issue voter bases (guns, 'bortion, immigrants!).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Secret tape reveals NRA leaders referring to supporters as "hillbillies" and "fruitcakes" in the wake of Columbine

It's absolutely what you would expect from the leadership of the NRA, but of course it's not going to impact the views of the "hillbillies" and "fruitcakes" that vote however the NRA tells them to vote.  That said, I would love more audio / video leaks of GQP leadership saying what they really think about the useful idiots comprising their single-issue voter bases (guns, 'bortion, immigrants!).

I don't know what their numbers are, but they are still recruiting past members incredibly heavy, and I'm not talking about the typical spam email, I'm talking updated physical mailing lists, with lots of official sounding crap they are spamming us with about Biden coming and taking our guns or something.

At some point in the past few years, they stopped offering tote bags with the NRA logo on them.

I never understood why the fuck anybody would want any bag or backpack to scream that you own guns.  Just never understand that.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don't know what their numbers are, but they are still recruiting past members incredibly heavy, and I'm not talking about the typical spam email, I'm talking updated physical mailing lists, with lots of official sounding crap they are spamming us with about Biden coming and taking our guns or something.

At some point in the past few years, they stopped offering tote bags with the NRA logo on them.

I never understood why the fuck anybody would want any bag or backpack to scream that you own guns.  Just never understand that.

There was an interesting tidbit in the story about the impact of OKC bombing on NRA membership:

"What we're trying to avoid here, I think, is what happened after the Oklahoma City bombing," says PR adviser McQueen. "When we lost control of a situation and the result was a half a million members, the president of the United States bailing out on us and a firestorm of negative media that if you went back and looked at, it was probably in the hundreds of millions of dollars in opposition to us and our point of view."

It really is amazing that the NRA is still around.  Only in 'Murica.

I know that trucks with hunting, NRA, DU stickers were specifically targeted in San Antonio for several years. I got targeted one year before a dove hunt. Guns were locked in a safe so all they got was a bag full of hunting clothes.

18 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

I know that trucks with hunting, NRA, DU stickers were specifically targeted in San Antonio for several years. I got targeted one year before a dove hunt. Guns were locked in a safe so all they got was a bag full of hunting clothes.

Yep. It's a great advertisement for "follow me home and rob my house while I'm gone at some point in the future."

Had a neighbor who was a cop, who used to tell people in our neighborhood not to advertise that stuff - not to have bumper stickers that hinted at it, not to have NRA-branded stuff laying about in your vehicle, etc.  But he also pointed out that it could be seen as clever marketing - hand out a bunch of NRA-branded stuff to people, some of them will get robbed at some point as a result, and they'll be even more paranoid and even more into whatever the NRA/etc. was pushing.

Really wish they went back to what they used to be -  more of an educational association.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep. It's a great advertisement for "follow me home and rob my house while I'm gone at some point in the future."

Had a neighbor who was a cop, who used to tell people in our neighborhood not to advertise that stuff - not to have bumper stickers that hinted at it, not to have NRA-branded stuff laying about in your vehicle, etc.  But he also pointed out that it could be seen as clever marketing - hand out a bunch of NRA-branded stuff to people, some of them will get robbed at some point as a result, and they'll be even more paranoid and even more into whatever the NRA/etc. was pushing.

Really wish they went back to what they used to be -  more of an educational association.

Every time I see one of those guys in the lifted jeeps with the Moan Abe and Punisher stickers on it I think "You could probably pattern that guy for a week, then go to his house and steal his guns and bang his wife while he's at Tuesday night Crossfit". 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Most younger gun owners are fairly hostile towards the NRA at this point. Partly because of all the shenanigans they have pulled with regards to their leadership, but also because many of them are fairly liberal on social issues and the NRA is pretty much an official lobbying are of the far right on things extending beyond guns. They are going to die out soon unless they fix their leadership and far right lobbying issues, which won't happen.

45 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Most younger gun owners are fairly hostile towards the NRA at this point. Partly because of all the shenanigans they have pulled with regards to their leadership, but also because many of them are fairly liberal on social issues and the NRA is pretty much an official lobbying are of the far right on things extending beyond guns. They are going to die out soon unless they fix their leadership and far right lobbying issues, which won't happen.

Some of the olds I know are also pissed at how much money the NRA has pissed away on salaries and benefits for the leadership, and I think that's why some of the smaller organizations may have picked up. 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Some of the olds I know are also pissed at how much money the NRA has pissed away on salaries and benefits for the leadership, and I think that's why some of the smaller organizations may have picked up. 

I’m probably between the young and olds, but that is my only beef with them. I’ll be back to donating as soon as they figure it out, even though I probably don’t agree with most of their politics. In a fairy tale world I’d love for them to get back to education as a main tenant, but there’s a serious contingent of folks that feel arms should completely disappear from our society, and there needs to be someone on the other side just as ludicrous to offset that.  If that’s the NRA, so be it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m probably between the young and olds, but that is my only beef with them. I’ll be back to donating as soon as they figure it out,

They aren't going to reduce the salaries and benefits beyond what they've already claimed they would do.  Their credibility is in the shitter when they are begging everybody for donations to fight the evil librools while their executives flying private jets around and are pulling down 7 figures.

Shit, they reduced their education and other outreach programs while boosting the executive salaries.

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

100% of the country agrees with you. 

Yep and herein lies the problem. Of course, half of that 100% has been brainwashed for 30 years by a conservative media propaganda machine that has admitted in court that they are completely full of shit, but whatever. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Let's just say it.  Let's be honest in this day and age.  His family is ugly.  His wife is fat and his children are unattractive.  People like that buy guns.  

With any luck, Massie will turn the weapon on himself and spare his children a lifetime of shame.

On 12/5/2021 at 7:27 AM, TexArcher said:

The same week as yet another school shooting.

And it’s by design. If there hadn’t been a shooting, I doubt he takes that photo.  It’s straight-up playing to the base “hey librools are gonna come for your guns because there’s another school shooting, but I’m on your side!”

Baby Jesus would not approve of it.  

• Rage+1 1

On 11/10/2021 at 10:04 AM, fattyflattie said:

I’m probably between the young and olds, but that is my only beef with them. I’ll be back to donating as soon as they figure it out, even though I probably don’t agree with most of their politics. In a fairy tale world I’d love for them to get back to education as a main tenant, but there’s a serious contingent of folks that feel arms should completely disappear from our society, and there needs to be someone on the other side just as ludicrous to offset that.  If that’s the NRA, so be it. 

i dunno, maybe stop and think about the role the nra has played in that contingent of people who want guns to disappear. 

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i dunno, maybe stop and think about the role the nra has played in that contingent of people who want guns to disappear. 

That’s fine, and can be discussed. But as long as there are bills like what Feinstein and SJL have proposed, I want someone just as extreme on the other end.  Maybe someday they’ll meet in the middle, and that’s ok with me too. 

53 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

That’s fine, and can be discussed. But as long as there are bills like what Feinstein and SJL have proposed, I want someone just as extreme on the other end.  Maybe someday they’ll meet in the middle, and that’s ok with me too. 

Just like with immigration and abortion there is a certain faction within the GQP that will brook no compromise when it comes to guns and will immediately primary anyone who attempts to do so. Now it’s even moved on from those inflexible positions to become a full on personality cult that believes in nothing but worship of a narcissistic and evil man who wants to end democracy in America.

But yeah it must be both sides fault we can’t get a compromise on guns. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Just like with immigration and abortion there is a certain faction within the GQP that will brook no compromise when it comes to guns and will immediately primary anyone who attempts to do so. Now it’s even moved on from those inflexible positions to become a full on personality cult that believes in nothing but worship of a narcissistic and evil man who wants to end democracy in America.

But yeah it must be both sides fault we can’t get a compromise on guns. 

There are issues from both sides.  You point to the GQP’s flaws of kicking out those that won’t toe the line, but no mention of the equal and opposite on the left.  Feinstein and SJLs bills are as equally inflammatory as the folks suggesting we should be able to don RPGs without background checks.  I’m sorry they fall on your side of the ledger. The power brokers on the left could tell them to gtfo with that garbage but don’t. I can’t see any difference between the two, neither are working towards a viable solution.  

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

There are issues from both sides.  You point to the GQP’s flaws of kicking out those that won’t toe the line, but no mention of the equal and opposite on the left.  Feinstein and SJLs bills are as equally inflammatory as the folks suggesting we should be able to don RPGs without background checks.  I’m sorry they fall on your side of the ledger. The power brokers on the left could tell them to gtfo with that garbage but don’t. I can’t see any difference between the two, neither are working towards a viable solution.  

Well here’s an article on it. What are the extreme parts? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ktla.com/news/nationworld/house-renews-push-to-enact-1st-major-new-gun-control-laws-in-more-than-2-decades-starting-with-stricter-background-checks/amp/

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Only law I want to see, all gun owners are responsible for their guns. If their gun commits a crime, they are fully charged and liable 

I'm a gun owner, and I'd be good with that.  If someone breaks in and steals your gun, you have to report it to the cops -- just like you would with your car, and if it's later used in a crime, you have a record that it was no longer within your custody or control.

But while it is, it is an inherently dangerous product/tool.  You have a legal obligation to keep it in a condition that prevents it from being used to harm others.  See my proposed law that would make you liable if you did not take reasonable measures to secure it (such as keeping it in a gun safe).  You're not responsible if someone breaks into your safe and takes it, then uses it for a crime.  But if it is unsecured, and your kid takes it to school or to rob a liquor store, that's on you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’m fairly close to the point where I’m OK with a licensing process for gun ownership treating it similar to concealed carry laws. 

Want to own guns? Get some education in safety and proper storage, a mental health check and get licensed.

I know a lot of fellow gun owners will hate this, but we need to find a way to weed out the irresponsible and mentally ill from having easy access.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

I’m fairly close to the point where I’m OK with a licensing process for gun ownership treating it similar to concealed carry laws. 

Want to own guns? Get some education in safety and proper storage, a mental health check and get licensed.

I know a lot of fellow gun owners will hate this, but we need to find a way to weed out the irresponsible and mentally ill from having easy access.

This, along with holding owners responsible if someone else uses their firearm to commit a crime is where I am on this issue now. 

There needs to be a major focus on training and gun saftey.  I'm uncomfortable going to a crowded range with people I don't know and even with hunting with a group that I don't know.  A lot of folks seem much more casual with safety than when I was growing up.

I have to have a license to sell insurance, drive a car, be a contractor, etc., but not to own a gun? 

1 minute ago, The Royal We said:

This, along with holding owners responsible if someone else uses their firearm to commit a crime is where I am on this issue now. 

There needs to be a major focus on training and gun saftey.  I'm uncomfortable going to a crowded range with people I don't know and even with hunting with a group that I don't know.  A lot of folks seem much more casual with safety than when I was growing up.

I have to have a license to sell insurance, drive a car, be a contractor, etc., but not to own a gun? 

Completely agree on holding gun owners responsible 

17 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

I'm glad you came around. For me, this is bare minimum. 

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

that's not the bill that fatty is complaining about. SJL's bill would build a database of all firearms and has so far died in committee in the 116th congress and is stuck in committee in the 117th congress and has gotten exactly 0 cosponsors in 2 congresses but you know nancy hasn't told her to pound sand so fatty is really upset about it.  #bothsides

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, elfenix said:

that's not the bill that fatty is complaining about. SJL's bill would build a database of all firearms and has so far died in committee in the 116th congress and is stuck in committee in the 117th congress and has gotten exactly 0 cosponsors in 2 congresses but you know nancy hasn't told her to pound sand so fatty is really upset about it.  #bothsides

Got it. So instead of discussing actual bills passed by the actual House we’re focusing instead on tooth fairy type bullshit. Shocker there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/5/2021 at 11:05 AM, Lobo said:

Let's just say it.  Let's be honest in this day and age.  His family is ugly.  His wife is fat and his children are unattractive.  People like that buy guns.  

With any luck, Massie will turn the weapon on himself and spare his children a lifetime of shame.

Fuck you, I don't buy guns.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Got it. So instead of discussing actual bills passed by the actual House we’re focusing instead on tooth fairy type bullshit. Shocker there. 

These people argued that the Green New Deal was responsible for the Texas blackout.

• Rage+1 1