¡Snek!

Patricio Swayze

48 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Not real sure. Was thinking water snek or juvi moc. I’m not seeing pits, but pics aren’t great either. Baby hog isn’t a bad guess though. 

Edit: snek’s in FL, specifically panhandle. 

This, but I think that's a moc because of the markings and the shape of its head. 

for comparison
whq8mxziv6551.jpg?width=1080&crop=smart&

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Did he let it sit in the front seat?

No. Apparently held the head in one hand, drove with the other, without a care in the world. 

But you tell him he can’t be doing shit like that and you get a blank stare, like he doesn’t understand.

Alzheimers is a terrible disease. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

No. Apparently held the head in one hand, drove with the other, without a care in the world. 

But you tell him he can’t be doing shit like that and you get a blank stare, like he doesn’t understand.

Alzheimers is a terrible disease. 

Tip of the cap to your old man.

• Hook 'Em 4

Prairie rattler in NW KS while my dad was planting some wheat at the edge of the pasture.

This one lived as it was well away from the house. I've seen a couple of rattlers out there but always in the crp or pasture well away from the house/out buildings.

Only thing I have seen near the house/buildings are bull snakes.

51895bca1d6123ac94953b9b01f9e2a6.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Well, that’s a bummer. I’ve seen lots of banded water snakes around our pond but had never seen a snek like this.  Thought it might be a cottonmouth so I made the decision to remove it before it slithered off. 

Diamondback water snake. 

If you can see the eyes from the top of the head, its not a cottonmouth.  Cottonmouths have a hooded eye.  Here's a picture from the side, but you can see how the eye is shielded from the top.  

Also of note in this picture - the cottonmouth has round pupils.  Their eyes dilate with light, thus making the pupil shape a inconsistent indicator of venomous snakes.

spacer.png 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Diamondback water snake. 

If you can see the eyes from the top of the head, its not a cottonmouth.  Cottonmouths have a hooded eye.  Here's a picture from the side, but you can see how the eye is shielded from the top.  

Also of note in this picture - the cottonmouth has round pupils.  Their eyes dilate with light, thus making the pupil shape a inconsistent indicator of venomous snakes.

spacer.png 

Watersnek says "what's going on guys?"  Cottonmouth just looks pissed off.

• Hook 'Em 3