Post a pic that makes you say "Holy shit."

Born Burnt

I was waiting for the biker to hit a bear.

My friends in Montana knew a mountain biker that was killed by a grizzly. The autopsy showed that he had broken both wrists and collarbones before being mauled to death. The theory was he was going full speed downhill and broadsided the bear that was crossing the trail, resulting in the broken bones. The bear reacted the way a bear does when attacked and killed everything in sight.

The best book I have read this year is A Libertarian Walks Into A Bear. Libertarians decided to live their principles by taking over Grafton, NH. Interesting intersection of political principles and a resurgence of a bear population. Great exploration of both. Extremely well written. 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1541788494/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_YBEQD9JF3JB95XP65X35

33 minutes ago, OregonHorn said:

I inherited a BMW roadster, and I have a jacked up F-150, so I'm a double asshole.  The lift is necessary in order to cross the river to my land in the summer.

A Texas river, sure.   But it's not the Willamette or Columbia.

19 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

My friends in Montana knew a mountain biker that was killed by a grizzly. The autopsy showed that he had broken both wrists and collarbones before being mauled to death. The theory was he was going full speed downhill and broadsided the bear that was crossing the trail, resulting in the broken bones. The bear reacted the way a bear does when attacked and killed everything in sight.

That's horrifying, but maybe don't go biking in a grizzlie's back yard.

That's horrifying, but maybe don't go biking in a grizzlie's back yard.

That happened a few months before the last time I was up there and took my kid mountain biking. At the trailhead there was a sign that a bear was seen the day before. It was the best ride I’ve ever had but I was also so paranoid and constantly scanning around for anything that might be a bear. We both had a can of bear spray in our water bottle cage and I didn’t let her lead over blind hills just in case.

11 hours ago, Macanudo said:

A Texas river, sure.   But it's not the Willamette or Columbia.

Definitely not close to that.  It's 50' wide, but under 2' deep for most of the year.  When we get sustained rain on top of mountain snow pack, it shoots up more than 10' in a day and rages.

Back in Austin in about '94 we got 7" in 2 hours and Bull Creek wiped out the bridge at 2222.  We get about 8' of rain a year in the coast mountains, but never coming down nearly that fast.

12 hours ago, markstanco said:

Do you have the 9 foot extended mirrors? Your reply will be judged.

In fairness I'd rather some dipshit leave his mirrors extended* all the time rather than not bother to (or not even have them installed) when he's got his loaded 12 bale-trailer on and therefore no fucking clue about anything going on behind him.

*provided you're referring to the adjustable ones. I had an old powerstroke I bought used that had ones you couldn't really fold in that I hated because I ran into 5 million things with them, including multiple atms and a drag worm unfortunately, but I loved that truck /csb

15 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

In fairness I'd rather some dipshit leave his mirrors extended* all the time rather than not bother to (or not even have them installed) when he's got his loaded 12 bale-trailer on and therefore no fucking clue about anything going on behind him.

*provided you're referring to the adjustable ones. I had an old powerstroke I bought used that had ones you couldn't really fold in that I hated because I ran into 5 million things with them, including multiple atms and a drag worm unfortunately, but I loved that truck /csb

I miss my 01 Powerstroke.  It was a great truck that I drove until about 250 or 275K.  It had the mirrors you could manually pull out. 

• Hook 'Em 1