Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, Lobwedgephil said:

I believed her, but I believe him as well. 

Don't believe him at all...   he is just attacking and dodging....  I only beleive he likes beer and sometimes drank too much with various friends (btw he has a lot of girl friends)

Appears Cavanaugh's performance thus far has really resonated with many Republicans and conservatives.  They are happy with his remarks and see this as an innocent man angry at being accused of an assault he didn't commit.  They like the fight, the repudiation of the Democrats, and the railing at the process.  

Obviously, this thread leans heavily left, but Republicans/conservatives are happy with him thus far.  

Really this only comes down to 3-5 people and how they'll react....

Just now, Lobwedgephil said:

Which is the interesting irony here.  Had there been a full investigation, he might have swung this.  Not to say that he was in fact innocent, but a full telling might have been inconclusive.  there is some sort of lesson here.  Can't quite put mu finger on it.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Appears Cavanaugh's performance thus far has really resonated with many Republicans and conservatives.  They are happy with his remarks and see this as an innocent man angry at being accused of an assault he didn't commit.  They like the fight, the repudiation of the Democrats, and the railing at the process.  

Obviously, this thread leans heavily left, but Republicans/conservatives are happy with him thus far.  

Really this only comes down to 3-5 people and how they'll react....

You must have missed the poll showing that over 50% of Republicans/conservatives would support his nomination even if these accusations were true.  So....yeah. 

1 minute ago, Yuk said:

I hate everything about today.  That's about the only thing I can be sure of.  I don't find today funny, telling, or really anything.  I just find it all to be pretty fucking sad.

OK.  Bear in mind things like this don't happen in a lot of countries.  Actually, if Trump had his way it wouldn't happen here.

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You must have missed the poll showing that over 50% of Republicans/conservatives would support his nomination even if these accusations were true.  So....yeah. 

Right. Today is not going to change a lot of minds. It's just going to stiffen the resolve of people who were for him and against him. 

This event happened, but he was probably so drunk he doesn’t remember it. A smarter strategy would have been to say that he didn’t want to challenge the woman and that it would be very out of character for him. That he couldn’t imagine it. If it happened, he’s terribly sorry and embarrassed, but that to the best of his knowledge he would not do such a thing. 

16 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Feinstein wasted an opportunity.

I'm not so sure. I think she decided to let him emote and avoid the question. She may be trusting the process and the audience. I also think that the Dems have likely coordinated their strategy, so she knows she's covered.

I can't tell if I'm objective enough, but I'm glad to see posts that reflect my impression of him overdoing his anger and sadness to the point of looking incompetent based on his lack of control.

I do suspect that GOPs will be able to say, "How could you not believe him? He laughed. He cried. He likes beer!"

Honestly--this is a no-lose proposition for the Democrats at this point.  If Kavanaugh is confirmed, they'll win the Senate guarantied.  And they're going to try hard to impeach and convict him after 2020, by which time they may have 67 seats.

If Kavanaugh isn't confirmed, the Republicans are going to be in disarray because their base is going to be pissed at them.

1 minute ago, Woodrow Call said:

This event happened, but he was probably so drunk he doesn’t remember it. A smarter strategy would have been to say that he didn’t want to challenge the woman and that it would be very out of character for him. That he couldn’t imagine it. If it happened, he’s terribly sorry and embarrassed, but that to the best of his knowledge he would not do such a thing. 

That's what I'd do if I did it.  But if I didn't, no fucking way.

Edited by Don Johnson

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I didn't miss it..... Let's not pretend that many minds were going to be changed on the Left/Democrats side either...... Simply there is another side or lens folks are seeing this through and I expect some of the more partisan Senators on both sides to really dig in.  This may get really ugly and as also stated, comes down to 4-5 people.

8 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

His petulant anger, yelling, and crying is not a normal reaction for an innocent man trying to get hired for a job as a Supreme Court Justice.

He might not remember the assault. But in the back of his mind he's not 100% absolutely sure.  And I think that nugget of doubt is amplifying his childish reaction. "It's not fair!".

Edited by Hank Kingsley

I don’t find him credible.  His opening statement was all about himself.  He acknowledged in passing that Ford may have been assaulted by someone, but it’s clear from his tirade and victim act that he doesn’t really believe that.  He doesn’t act like someone who thinks Ford was raped by someone else.  He’s acting like someone who feels like the victim of a witch hunt.  Why so much anger if this is just a case of mistaken identity?  

His defense is fundamentally self-centered.  It’s all about what will happen to him and to his family.  That doesn’t match his claim to believe that someone assaulted Dr. Ford.  

Bottom line: his plea seems fake to me.  

Just now, mdmost said:

Right. Today is not going to change a lot of minds. It's just going to stiffen the resolve of people who were for him and against him. 

True.  But that is not what this is about.

Aside from the general national discussion about sexual abuse, this is about procedure, vetting, due diligence, fitness for office, and politics.  There is no way this should have gone down like this.  Innocent or no, this is a national embarrassment.

3 minutes ago, Woodrow Call said:

This is what you say to the media if you're accused of inappropriate comments to a woman.  It's not the testimony you give to the United State Senate if you're accused of sexual assault.  There's no "if it happened" if you want life tenure on the Supreme Court.