Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

In a just world, she'd end this speech by saying, 'All this notwithstanding, he lied under oath to the Judiciary Committee, is blatantly partisan, and does not have an appropriate judicial temperament, so I vote no.'

I don’t know about just, but I’d find it immensely entertaining.

Does this guy have any actual legal accomplishments, to show he is of the intellect required to serve as SC? As far as I can see, he has played politics from day one, turned that imto judge appointments, and has no actual accomplishments in court.

50 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

I'm late to this great party, and I'll probably regret this. But this whole circus has gotten me thinking a lot about something that happened to me eons ago, in middle school. Not as bad as the Ford allegation but similar. And the distance in time from when it happened is probably almost exactly the same as her story. I was at an off-hours school event and 2 of my guy friends shoved me into the bathroom, turned out the light, and groped me all over. They were laughing as they did it. This kind of group thing is such weird, primitive behavior, like it's more for sport/entertainment than sexual gratification.  I remember the incident very well and how utterly shamed and humiliated I felt afterwards.  But I don't remember if I was in 7th or 8th grade. And would have to do the math from there re: the year if I settled on a grade. I don't remember if it was fall or spring semester. I don't remember how I got to the school (did my mom drop me off or did I walk) or how I got home.  No one witnessed it. I didn't tell anyone, least of all my parents, that would have been so weird ... we never talked openly about anything.  None of us back then seemed to have the understanding that this type of thing is a crime.  I honestly don't think I ever told anyone in my whole life, and anyway, there were worse things that happened in that godforsaken town in the years afterwards so I always brushed that one aside. 

One thing that strikes me though is that bullshit middle stance that R's are trying to take, that "something" probably have happened to Ford and she was probably assaulted as she said....but wrong or confused about who did it. I mean fucking seriously? That's ludicrous. If you know the person doing that to you....you know THAT person is doing that. It's much more intellectually honest to just either admit you think she's lying or that BK did this. I know where I stand.

Having said that, I say he's disqualified for his whiny, grasping entitlement, petulance, and lying under oath more than for this. 

/css

They are just being politically correct, if they just called her a liar then the would be crucified. It’s also why she wasn’t cross examined (attorneys stopped any questions and then they took massive breaks for coaching). 

She would have been a lot more credible has she not been untruthful and simply answered the questions without assistance from council. 

Multiple lies. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Why are all y'all talking about drinking. Are y'all surprised by this?

The world keeps turning. Just stomp them at the polls. Pack the court. Impeach Kavanaugh.

Go win something.

Democrats win all the time.

Republicans win all the time.

Sometimes there are more Democrats.

Sometimes there are more Republicans.

Too bad it's only those two.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Why are all y'all talking about drinking. Are y'all surprised by this?

The world keeps turning. Just stomp them at the polls. Pack the court. Impeach Kavanaugh.

Go win something.

That's it.  There are no norms, there are no rules.  It's winner-take-all, punish the losing side, show no mercy, show cruelty and vengeance only.

In that environment, there's only one strategy: win.  Win at all costs.  Govern with an iron fist, with extra cruelty.  The die has been cast, the rules of the game have been set, unequivocally.  So go out and play by them.  This is what the GOP and its fans want.  So....give it to them.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

That's it.  There are no norms, there are no rules.  It's winner-take-all, punish the losing side, show no mercy, show cruelty and vengeance only.

In that environment, there's only one strategy: win.  Win at all costs.  Govern with an iron fist, with extra cruelty.  The die has been cast, the rules of the game have been set, unequivocally.  So go out and play by them.  This is what the GOP and its fans want.  So....give it to them.

Just out of curiosity, when has it not been like this?

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Just out of curiosity, when has it not been like this?

Govern with an iron fist, with extra cruelty, reveling less in any policy postion than you revel in your opponents "sweet tears?"  I gotta say, this is the first time in my lifetime it's been like this.  And I'm not a young man.

I say go all-in.  These are the rules the GOP wants.  Let them live by them now.

• Like 1

I always find the people who haven't experienced D.C. to be the ones to say "Oh it's always been like this". No, it really hasn't. The entire government was basically behind the scenes inter party horse trading for a century. That has completely and utterly stopped.

Just now, G650 said:

I always find the people who haven't experienced D.C. to be the ones to say "Oh it's always been like this". No, it really hasn't. The entire government was basically behind the scenes inter party horse trading for a century. That has completely and utterly stopped.

This.  And it's that way on both the national and state level.  I know some folks who have worked in and around the state capitol for decades (generally on issues that aren't typically tainted too much by partisan bullshit).  They UNIVERSALLY say that shit is utterly borked, and they've never seen anything like it.  And yes, they chuckle and refer back to the days of total Dem control, when they acknowledge there were PLENTY of shenanigans.