Shit's Borked

RPM

Went the wordle thread this morning and tried to give folks +rep as I normally do, but the rep button isn't working.  I'm using Firefox on a PC and did not change anything on my end.  Rep button appears as a static image of the hookem icon in solid white.  Mouse cursor doesn't change when I hover over it (like it does for all hyperlinks/buttons) and clicking on it does nothing.

Also, when submitting a post, the "submit Reply" button is partially borked.  I have to position the cursor to the left of the letter 'S' in order to be able to click on it.  If I position the cursor over any of the letters, it's not clickable.

22 minutes ago, immamac said:

it sounds like you have a javascript blocker on. 

There is some kind of little glitch I've been noticing since last night where some symbols aren't showing. The Wordle thread isn't the only place I've noticed it (saw it last night in the game thread last night), but here are some examples from the last page of that thread:

image.png.21fb444b1b02dee8def08df769921782.png

image.png.8a5ce91d4bb261d4f33171cd9af7a680.png

image.png.9865ec3b21c6657dd5dfb3a1f4f98947.png

image.png.eeb24164d5a057b31780cfe4e60187b0.png

Some posters are complaining that they're not seeing anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The wierdest thing ever, I just clicked the button at top right of the browser window to restore the window to normal size (instead of maximized like I always keep it) and the rep buttons and tool-tip pop-ups when hovering the cursor over avatars are working again.  I maximized the window again and everything seems to be working.  I don't know if adjusting the window size fixed it, or if you did something on the back end, but huzzah either way.

Zoomed?  I assumed from your screenshot that you are also browsing from a PC.  I'm also zoomed at 100%.  That's not what I'm talking about.  If you are on a PC, you should be able to set the size of your browser window.  I normally keep my browser window maximized, but if I click the button at the top right (in the caption bar of the window) to normalize the window, my browser window adjusts to a small window taking up roughly 1/3 of my screen.  In that state, all the clickable areas work as expected.  If I then click on the button to maximize again, the clickable spaces still work as expected - until I click to a new page.  Then it's rinse and repeat.

14 minutes ago, bernorange said:

Zoomed?  I assumed from your screenshot that you are also browsing from a PC.  I'm also zoomed at 100%.  That's not what I'm talking about.  If you are on a PC, you should be able to set the size of your browser window.  I normally keep my browser window maximized, but if I click the button at the top right (in the caption bar of the window) to normalize the window, my browser window adjusts to a small window taking up roughly 1/3 of my screen.  In that state, all the clickable areas work as expected.  If I then click on the button to maximize again, the clickable spaces still work as expected - until I click to a new page.  Then it's rinse and repeat.

yes, my browser window is zoomed at 100% on a pc. sorry I wasn't more clear. usually shit starts borking when you zoom in or out, but it my case I have not done that. additionally, I have had the same site browser settings (the maximized settings you describe above) on here since like forever. I have not changed anything on my end and now this is a problem. guessing it's not on my end. I do note your workaround, but that sounds like work. I don't come here to work. lulz

12 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Football link at the top of the page is doing the link thing. All the other forum titles turn to a hand to click. Football stays a cursor.

image.png.256779a5badfedee253eeabfe1210ada.png

What browser? There is nothing different on surly. The fact that it works for nearly everyone else is a sign that it's your computer that changed not my computers that serve the content. Not trying to be a dick, but when nothing changes and everything is being served from my servers and not an intermediary like last time it's pretty easy to say root cause isn't surly. 

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

What browser? There is nothing different on surly. The fact that it works for nearly everyone else is a sign that it's your computer that changed not my computers that serve the content. Not trying to be a dick, but when nothing changes and everything is being served from my servers and not an intermediary like last time it's pretty easy to say root cause isn't surly. 

Lol. There's literally LHF_68 above talking about the same issue elsewhere on the site. This is on Chrome and Firefox, including when I go into Incognito mode.

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

Lol. There's literally LHF_68 above talking about the same issue elsewhere on the site. This is on Chrome and Firefox, including when I go into Incognito mode.

I'm just saying unless I can log in on your computer I can't solve this for you. The only reason for the behavior described earlier is Javascript not working. The football link not clicking isnt even that it's a simple href in html. 

I’m also occasionally experiencing this. For me today, it was when clicking on the dot/star at the beginning of a thread to jump to first unread post. I assumed it had something to do with the indexing, but now reading above about what others are experiencing, I can see the same thing is happening to me. Clicking on the thread title works, but obviously takes me to the last page, and not the last unread post (which is how I exclusively brows the site). It doesn’t happen all the time, which is strange.

This is on Safari on MacOS and Safari on iPadOS.

Edit to add: Imma if it is helpful I will try and grab a screen recording of it tomorrow when I’m on my computer if it happens again.

Edited by UnivTex34

19 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

I’m also occasionally experiencing this. For me today, it was when clicking on the dot/star at the beginning of a thread to jump to first unread post. I assumed it had something to do with the indexing, but now reading above about what others are experiencing, I can see the same thing is happening to me. Clicking on the thread title works, but obviously takes me to the last page, and not the last unread post (which is how I exclusively brows the site). It doesn’t happen all the time, which is strange.

This is on Safari on MacOS and Safari on iPadOS.

Edit to add: Imma if it is helpful I will try and grab a screen recording of it tomorrow when I’m on my computer if it happens again.

Thank you for this. 

So given what other people are saying, I've checked a little more.

Full screen window --> Football link won't work. Also discovered that the first few letters of a thread title won't be clickable either.

Reduce screen size (even if it's a fraction) --> All links go to working just fine.

Maximize back to full screen window --> All links now work just fine again.

I've repeated it several times on both Firefox & Chrome, both in and out of incognito mode. Close the window, reopen and the links go back to not working again.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

21 hours ago, immamac said:

https://twemoji.maxcdn.com/2/72x72/1f7e9.png

twemoji.maxcn.com isn't hosted by surlyhorns.com and that's what those images that aren't showing up are. 

When I try click on this link, it can't reach this page. I tried it from google too. Did they change something? The fuckers are making the wordle thread all borked. Who is this twemoji.maxcdn.com and why did they fuck things up?

Edited by burntorangebongos

16 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Anyone else having an issue where only about half the clickable links on the site work?  I've tried both Chrome and Edge and rebooted and still having issues.  As an example 'Baseball' and 'Other Sports' are the only clickable forum links at the top of the page.

Same here. Shit's borked.

Seeing similar issues with the board links not being clickable on the first few letters (Football, Baseball, etc.)

On my tablet, I am seeing 1000 ads all over the place, despite being Three Fiddy. This is not happening on laptop. This is in Chrome on both devices.