Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm not even sure if it'd be a solid hire 

Well, if it is a liquid hire, I think he would be better than dog piss. But for me, it will be Urban or IDGAF. So, it better be Urban.  

Edited by Bevo

I don't think Harsin will be able to recruit that well here.  I don't see his personality and background meshing well.  He has proven himself at Ark State and Boise State.  But we need to hire a proven power 5 coach at this point that can recruit, develop, and coach.  We need to hit on all 3 to compete with Bama, LSU, Clemson, tOSU, ou.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't know that it was as much that Bud didn't want to be a head coach as much as it was Bud is/was known to be a functioning alcoholic.  And not just in the normal 'afternoon drinking' kind of way. 

that sounds so nice.  I wish I was a functioning alcoholic. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I don't think Harsin will be able to recruit that well here.  I don't see his personality and background meshing well.  He has proven himself at Ark State and Boise State.  But we need to hire a proven power 5 coach at this point that can recruit, develop, and coach.  We need to hit on all 3 to compete with Bama, LSU, Clemson, tOSU, ou.

LSU, Clemson, and OU didn't hire a proven P5 coach.  Day technically wasn't either but taking over for Urban and not having to rebuild anything is a completely different animal.  If a proven guy is willing to change jobs sure go there first, but I don't think that's reality.  Just because some internet poll still rates us as the #1 job in the country doesn't mean that those guys are leaving their current situations to rebuild.  What's the definition of proven?

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

I do not believe that is possible. I will not believe that is possible...

...that's not possible, is it?

Narrator: It's not possible.

50 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Correct.  Drawing $2MM to do what he wants to do: be a (very, very good) mad scientist on the defensive end and not have deal with anything other than defense. 

Foster is a good comparison. 

Exactly. He's earning $2M per season with little to zero pressure working for a juggernaut program led by a relatively young coach.

11 minutes ago, victory88 said:

That's it? Sounds easy enough.

Just now, Gene Parmesan said:

LSU, Clemson, and OU didn't hire a proven P5 coach.   

...and they don't have our $.

We need to quit acting like we are everyone else. We aren't. We need to think big. John Harbaugh makes $9 million/year with the Ravens. Let's offer him $15 million/year.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It was on page 267 that everything collapsed into shit, and then 268 began the process of smearing it across the entire Surly poster base's face. Dabo Swinney? Rehiring Chuckles? We're devolving into bargaining over whether or not we could get Harsin and if he'd be able to recruit here? Urban Meyer hasn't even mooned us and flipped us off yet. Tom Herman hasn't even been shown the door and we've fallen all the way from comparing Kim Kardashian clones to wondering openly about the ability to bring in Dabo Swinney.

That's why this is the best board across the net...

36 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

An up and coming G5 coach? What could possibly go wrong....

I stated my support for Harsin as a possible backup plan earlier in this thread - there is a big differencer between hiring Herman (or even Strong) with 2 and 4 years respectively (and 1 and 2 years of success) and hiring Harsin who has been a HC at two different programs and has had 7 years of success.  He's essentially turned over the roster twice but maintained the same level of success - something neither Herman or Strong has done. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It was on page 267 that everything collapsed into shit, and then 268 began the process of smearing it across the entire Surly poster base's face. Dabo Swinney? Rehiring Chuckles? We're devolving into bargaining over whether or not we could get Harsin and if he'd be able to recruit here? Urban Meyer hasn't even mooned us and flipped us off yet. Tom Herman hasn't even been shown the door and we've fallen all the way from comparing Kim Kardashian clones to wondering openly about the ability to bring in Dabo Swinney.

Just a typical day here. Honestly, did you expect anything different?

I think we’re right on schedule personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Don't you dare take away my ridiculous coaching search drama fun in the midst of this apocalyptic hellscape. Sir. 

3 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

...and they don't have our $.

We need to quit acting like we are everyone else. We aren't. We need to think big. John Harbaugh makes $9 million/year with the Ravens. Let's offer him $15 million/year.

He's not a proven p5 guy though.  We also don't have the kind of money our fanbase thinks either.  Plenty of other programs in our league money wise.

I know. Awesome, right?

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I stated my support for Harsin as a possible backup plan earlier in this thread - there is a big differencer between hiring Herman (or even Strong) with 2 and 4 years respectively (and 1 and 2 years of success) and hiring Harsin who has been a HC at two different programs and has had 7 years of success.  He's essentially turned over the roster twice but maintained the same level of success - something neither Herman or Strong has done. 

Agree.  If we fire Herman and don't make Urban tell us no at least 100 times before moving on to plan B we have failed, but assuming plan B is our play we have to hire someone.  The powers that be equating Strong and Herman = every other G5 coach will likely lead us to making another poor hire.

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

I met a lifelong Nebraska fan yesterday and he was laughing about Texas football and what it has turned into.  A decade of failure and embarrassment will do that to you.

9 minutes ago, Deej said:

That's ripe coming from a Nebraska fan. 

It was a mirthless, rueful laugh. Dripping with commiseration.

57 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Oh... Dabo to Texas was brought up pages ago. We're just going in circles at this point.

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

This program is such a joke.  We're basically out of the big 12 race 3 games into conference play with a senior QB that was on many Heisman lists.  We have a top 5 OL at LT and a veteran roster at almost every position.  Yet we look barely competent against some of the worst big 12 teams this year  I'm not going to bother watching us play against a Baylor team that hasn't practiced and barely has enough eligible players to field a team.  This game may be easier than fucking Kansas and I fully expect us struggle and barely pull out a win.  I'm done wasting my time on Saturdays watching this pile of shit.  I haven't missed a single Texas game since 2004 but I have no desire to turn on the tv this Saturday.  Fuck this program and this administration.  We were at the top of the mountain and within 10 years we are a gawd damn joke in college football.  I met a lifelong Nebraska fan yesterday and he was laughing about Texas football and what it has turned into.  A decade of failure and embarrassment will do that to you.

You’ll watch it stop lying.

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I don't know that it was as much that Bud didn't want to be a head coach as much as it was Bud is/was known to be a functioning alcoholic.  And not just in the normal 'afternoon drinking' kind of way. 

He also has (allegedly) a torrid past of Me Too issues that also make him unemployable. And not from 2020 standards either. Like 1995 standards. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I’m personally inclined to pay 20M to buy out the slightly less retarded Stoops brother. Obviously he has to be paired with Strong as DC and Tim Beck as OC. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I’m personally inclined to pay 20M to buy out the slightly less retarded Stoops brother. Obviously he has to be paired with Strong as DC and Tim Beck as OC. 

I would be one of maybe 2 people who would consider Beck as TE coach and Strong as DE coach.

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

why stop there? Might as well fire CDC and bring back Patter$on so we can also drop Nike for UA...

16 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

You’ll watch it stop lying.

I won't. Not lying. Watched 12/13 games last year and that was about 7 too many. 

I'll watch again once Herman is fired or we are playing to clinch a CCG spot. We've already played our biggest 3 "rivals" in this conference.

I remember liking Harsin at the time, but after revisiting stats for those years its kind of meh. Maybe just because I was so relieved to be done with Greg Davis/Major Applewhite?

Anyways, clearly there was marked improvement, but I'm not sure how much of that was also just the comparison to the abortion of an offense and garret gilbert in 2010 compared to ash/mccoy of 2011 and 2012.  His play calling sure seemed infinitely better and more creative than what we had the year before.

In 2010 prior to Harsin we were 58th in yards per game at 382 yards per game and 86th in ppg at 23.1ppg.

In 2011 with Harsin as OC we were 50th in yards per game at 392 yards per game and 55th in points at 28.1 ppg.

In 2012 with Harsin we were 37th in yards per game with 434 yards/game and 37th in points at 35.7 ppg.  

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas