Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

3 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

What’s he trying to say? Money isn’t an issue?

Contention/Power struggles among the Cigars and having to deal with the loudest ones

Trust - how do you facilitate a near whole-staff change with Tom and look even more aimless than before?

Baby-shit-soft culture within athletics as a whole, from the students to the coaches

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

And Jimmy  admitted he treated players he needed differently.  I don’t have a problem with that.  Meyer overlooked 30+ arrests in 6 years at Florida,  and reinstated a player that punched a woman on video after 3 games.  What bothers me most is that he was a complete weasel on the Smith issue.  “If I wanted to erase old texts how would I do that?”  And, bingo, texts are erased.

But I have to say, even with all that, I’m in on hiring him.  Just be prepared for the fallout in 4-5 years.

If Meyer comes and wins multiple conference titles and national titles he could leave this place wreck and that would still be a better deal than we have gotten in the 50 plus years since Royal dipped out.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

And Jimmy  admitted he treated players he needed differently.  I don’t have a problem with that.  Meyer overlooked 30+ arrests in 6 years at Florida,  and reinstated a player that punched a woman on video after 3 games.  What bothers me most is that he was a complete weasel on the Smith issue.  “If I wanted to erase old texts how would I do that?”  And, bingo, texts are erased.

But I have to say, even with all that, I’m in on hiring him.  Just be prepared for the fallout in 4-5 years.

People change. Mature, learn from their mistakes. There's no gauarntee Urban would get caught up in some shit like that at Texas.

Maybe that's wishful thinking but I'd at least give him a chance. It could be an opportunity to change our image as a program as well as his as a coach. He can redeem himself and ride off into the sunset.

2 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Contention/Power struggles among the Cigars and having to deal with the loudest ones

Trust - how do you facilitate a near whole-staff change with Tom and look even more aimless than before?

Baby-shit-soft culture within athletics as a whole, from the students to the coaches

Like you say probably power struggle amongst the different BMDs, especially if they are largely footing the bill for the staff buyouts

As long as we have at least 3 conference titles and get in the playoffs those years and win more often than not, I'm cool with some light fallout half a decade from now...but nothing Baylor/State Penn level.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Copied this tweet from TexasTakeover05:

Hot takes abound in 2020.

The best one today is "Tom Herman has been average at Texas, he’s 27-17" alongside the take of "Sam Ehlinger, whose record at UT is 27-17, deserves better than Herman!"

The cognitive dissonance required to believe both statements is pretty staggering.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Not a cat said:

Do you have actual inside intel or are you just reading tea leaves?  Not doubting you, but I just want to believe hope is around the corner. 

I'm not one of those guys but a couple I trust have said he's done. We'll see but I feel confident in saying it here if they are telling me.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

I like how people who bring up Urban Meyers dark side seem to imply that Herman is some kind of moral yardstick.  Didn’t he get caught snorting coke of some stripper or airline stewardess titties or something like that?  I’m sure Herman is up to all kinds of “win at all cost” bullshit.  His only problem is that he can’t figure out the win part very well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

I like how people who bring up Urban Meyers dark side seem to imply that Herman is some kind of moral yardstick.  Didn’t he get caught snorting coke of some stripper or airline stewardess titties or something like that?  I’m sure Herman is up to all kinds of “win at all cost” bullshit.  His only problem is that he can’t figure out the win part very well.

The only coach I’m aware of that doesn’t have a dark side is Fleck? Unless all that row the boat stuff is some kind of Manchurian level mindfuck.

38 minutes ago, ztejas said:

People change. Mature, learn from their mistakes. There's no gauarntee Urban would get caught up in some shit like that at Texas.

Maybe that's wishful thinking but I'd at least give him a chance. It could be an opportunity to change our image as a program as well as his as a coach. He can redeem himself and ride off into the sunset.

I don’t think he’s going to mature at his age.  I’m still good with hiring him, just do it with eyes wide open.

• Hook 'Em 1

"How do we get a group of guys that want to be great to translate their play in practice to the games?" Herman asked. "That's Job No. 1 right now."

That question shouldn't be asked in Year 4 of a regime. Every team in the country started with the same hinderance -- COVID-19. Texas has taken steps backward on its way out of the top 25. The 'Horns started the game with the sixth-most penalties among Power Five teams. Then they went out and committed 11 more against the Sooners.

This downturn for Herman in Year 4 is not only disappointing but bewildering. Something has to change at Texas.

There will be plenty of Herman-on-the-hot-seat columns out there in the coming days. Those are easy to write after a game like this, especially considering OU has won five of the last six and nine of the last 12 meetings. Riley has won three of his four Red River games, four of five meetings including the 2018 Big 12 Championship Game.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/familiar-failure-envelops-tom-herman-texas-as-another-thrilling-red-river-showdown-ends-in-disappointment/amp/

51 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Copied this tweet from TexasTakeover05:

Hot takes abound in 2020.

The best one today is "Tom Herman has been average at Texas, he’s 27-17" alongside the take of "Sam Ehlinger, whose record at UT is 27-17, deserves better than Herman!"

The cognitive dissonance required to believe both statements is pretty staggering.

Or maybe people with brains realize the head coach is far more responsible for a team's record than a QB.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Wtf does any of that have to do with morals?

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas