Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

I dont know shit, but my take is the only way to get attn of cdc is for season tickets to get cut in half.  Only way that happens is if Tom has a losing season.  Could be 4 and 6.  I think we win one more just by dumb luck.  The problem could be if we end up 5 and 5 and win a bowl game.  

To me, rest of season determines how quickly Tom is gone.  

14 minutes ago, runthebone said:

What makes you guys who say he won't be fired this year so confident?  Just money, or some actual personal information?

It's people who seem to think things like optics or what the faculty and scholarship students think matters. When COVID has caused the university to be cashed strapped across the board pissing in the face of your already upset rich and powerful donors is a terrible idea if they take their money and fuck off to some other pet project instead of giving it to the school.

Edited by Not a Sock

7 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Absolutely.

The problem is that we're paying him like he's an established coach. If we're going to play "develop a coach to eventually be a champion" hire a guy for $2M/year out of D3.

If we're paying big boy money, get a fucking big boy.

This.  What is the definition of insanity?  Texas continuing to hire head coaches who have zero head coaching experience in a P5 conference..  I can’t say if Strong & Herman will both never be worth a damn as head coaches at a major program, but I can damn sure say they both missed a developmental step before becoming the head coach at Texas.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

This.  What is the definition of insanity?  Texas continuing to hire head coaches who have zero head coaching experience in a P5 conference..  I can’t say if Strong & Herman will both never be worth a damn as head coaches at a major program, but I can damn sure say they both missed a developmental step before becoming the head coach at Texas.

I think the book is written on strong

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

This.  What is the definition of insanity?  Texas continuing to hire head coaches who have zero head coaching experience in a P5 conference..  I can’t say if Strong & Herman will both never be worth a damn as head coaches at a major program, but I can damn sure say they both missed a developmental step before become the head coach at Texas.

That's not the definition of insanity.

7 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Strong is done.  Herman might be able to resurrect himself after going to be an OC somewhere and back into a big time gig.

This feels a lot like 1981, right after we got our heads handed to us by Arkansas, 42 to 11 I think.  I watched a lot closer back then.  We came out completely not ready to play.  I think we were number 1 in polls.  The big difference between then and now is in 2020 every week we come out not ready to play.  If we came out flat every game back then, I would expect a fired head coach, and a losing season. Not much has changed, to me.  Ready to play, do your best, and winning takes care of itself.  Dude has gotta go.  Just a matter of time. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I know its a rough economy for most of the middle class this year but apparently it has benefited the top .1%. Maybe one of our big boosters can pony up $20 mil for Tom's buyout

Its not going to be one guy. Thats not how its ever worked.

5 hours ago, txbroadcaster said:

And he really did not leave Florida cause he was ill...So are we putting winning over everything to get a coach who has basically left two schools because of off the field shit and the shit in Florida was not too far off from Briles level trash. 

Have you got a better option? Because fuckboy Tom Herman isn't it. I'd love to win and be all honorable and shit but look around -- Saban and Dabo are cheating. OU is fucking OU. Nice guys finish fucking middle-of-the-conference in college football or maybe you haven't noticed that. Nobody gives a shit how you do it -- as long as you do it. Either get in line and do what everybody else is doing or just stop playing.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

It's people who seem to think things like optics or what the faculty and scholarship students think matters. When COVID has caused the university to be cashed strapped across the board pissing in the face of your already upset rich and powerful donors is a terrible idea if they take their money and fuck off to some other pet project instead of giving it to the school.

Not even worth the conversation if you think Tommy Boy isn't going to be on the sidelines next season.   Short of a 6 loss season, Urban Meyer begging to come here and several unexpected donors bringing new rain...  that asshole is still our asshole.

So after sleeping off the booze, weed and knee jerk anger, I now feel like Herman needs to be executed and his head put on a pike outside Belmont as a warning to any UT athletic director who would hire an unproven head coach at the P5 level in the future.  Any more time given to Herman is delaying the inevitable.  He has lost all credibility with fans, recruits and even the team.  If the players believed in his sorry ass, they would translate his weekly post-game admonishments about the team needing to play better into, I don’t know, maybe actually playing better?  But they don’t.  They just hang their heads and say they need to be better while continuing to repeat the same self-destructive mental mistakes over and over and over and over.

Herman’s done.  All that’s unknown is how long it takes CDC to realize it and act accordingly.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Goredho said:

So after sleeping off the booze, weed and knee jerk anger, I now feel like Herman needs to be executed and his head put on a pike outside Belmont as a warning to any UT athletic director who would hire an unproven head coach at the P5 level in the future.  Any more time given to Herman is delaying the inevitable.  He has lost all credibility with fans, recruits and even the team.  If the players believed in his sorry ass, they would translate his weekly post-game admonishments about the team needing to play better into, I don’t know, maybe actually playing better?  But they don’t.  They just hang their heads and say they need to be better while continuing to repeat the same self-destructive mental mistakes over and over and over and over.

Herman’s done.  All that’s unknown is how long it takes CDC to realize it and act accordingly.

Kirby Smart was an unproven head coach at one point. 

Lincoln Riley was an unproven head coach. 

we need to stop creating bullshit criteria and just go hire the best coaches we can find whether they be a HC currently or a coordinator. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I know its a rough economy for most of the middle class this year but apparently it has benefited the top .1%. Maybe one of our big boosters can pony up $20 mil for Tom's buyout

Millionaires have done quite well post recession. Low rates, booming economy (Covid notwithstanding), rallying stock market, booming real estate. If you have assets , the last 10-12 years have been fantastic. The hourly guy in the middle hasn’t fared quite as well,  but make no mistake, the Million-billion crew has benefited immensely from the financial climate.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bevo VIII said:

Kirby Smart was an unproven head coach at one point. 

Lincoln Riley was an unproven head coach. 

we need to stop creating bullshit criteria and just go hire the best coaches we can find whether they be a HC currently or a coordinator. 

Its about removing variables and increasing your odds that you made a good hire.  Neither of the places where those guys are succeeding has as many demands of its head coach as Texas does, rightly or wrongly.  Would either of those guys have been successful taking over Texas without a P5 head coaching gig elsewhere?  I don’t know, and neither do you.  But what is beyond a doubt is that we are incapable of identifying an up and coming coach who’s success as a coordinator at the P5 level translates to head coaching success at Texas.  So stop trying.  Limit the experience gap between what a new coach has done and is being asked to do.  Texas is not a program that should have to resort to unproven coaches that will be learning on the job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Its about removing variables and increasing your odds that you made a good hire.  Neither of the places where those guys are succeeding has as many demands of its head coach as Texas does, rightly or wrongly.  Would either of those guys have been successful taking over Texas without a P5 head coaching gig elsewhere?  I don’t know, and neither do you.  But what is beyond a doubt is that we are incapable of identifying an up and coming coach who’s success as a coordinator at the P5 level translates to head coaching success at Texas.  So stop trying.  Limit the experience gap between what a new coach has done and is being asked to do.  Texas is not a program that should have to resort to unproven coaches that will be learning on the job.

And that’s all the fucking problem here. Let’s be real. All the added bullshit that we have created and the ceo type shit needs to go away. Just go out and hire the best fucking guy whether he’s a current head coach somewhere or a current coordinator somewhere. Get the best no bullshit football first guy. 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas