Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

8 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

He should start asap, but only on evaluations and recruiting, nothing involving game coaching.

By the end of this season, he'd know what he's dealing with from a staff and personnel standpoint, and have already impacted 21/22 classes. That's the best case scenario.

#80..  sooo, what would you say you do here?

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

If Texas doesn’t fire Tom and hire Urban will anyone give a shit about this team next year?  I’m not gonna be fooled by another underwhelmed bowl opponent getting buttfucked by Herman and his goons.

Well we've been lied to for so long it's become normal. Last few years under Mack, then Charlie and now Tom. Every year is hopeful in preparation until that first game, - "Oh, here we go again." 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Is this an Urban Meyer only thread - or dare we discuss alternatives?

Many here want a coach who has consistently proven success at a championship level, preferably at multiple schools.  Add in a program builder for extra points.  Not many practical options who fit that mold.  And at this point in the season, there's only one who does.

A few want all of this including someone who is not and up-in-comer, and not named Urban Meyer.  

Is this an Urban Meyer only thread - or dare we discuss alternatives?
I'll play along.

First, I'm all in on Meyer. I'm irrationally convinced this whole thing, down to Ash and Yurcich hirings, set us up perfectly for this to happen. But he very well could tell us no, so...

Had a conversation with someone earlier today about who is realistic if we can't get Urban, and if there's no one clearly better would we actually just keep Herman as the devil we know. I'm not a huge fan of his style as a person, but I'll submit Gary Patterson for consideration.

Reasons for:
He knows the conference and how to defend it.
He punches above his weight (joke fully intended) in recruiting and is solid with talent/fit evaluations.
While it used to be a fault, these days he has been proactive with his coaching staff changes where needed to address deficiencies.
His teams are the anti texas - they play above their recruiting rankings and compete against better athletes due to excellent fundamentals and scouting/scheme.
He's won conferences before where he had talent parity or advantage, and only hasn't when he has a clear athlete disadvantage.
He has a good working relationship with cdc which can't hurt.

Reasons against:
He looks, sweats, and complains like a third trimester pregnant woman.

Again, I'm all in on Meyer, but if he's a no, we could do worse than Patterson.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Nope. If Sam comes back, we have 11+ wins in the first year and probably win the conference (if he doesn’t I concur with 9-4 and perhaps 10-3/11-2). Year 2, we are in the CFP. At that point it’s a crap shoot with Bama and Clemson, but in most years I suspect we would be there under Urban. 

Yeah, there's a team named Ohio State as well that you have to compete with.

15 minutes ago, Hmmm said:

Many here want a coach who has consistently proven success at a championship level, preferably at multiple schools.  Add in a program builder for extra points.  Not many practical options who fit that mold.  And at this point in the season, there's only one who does.

A few want all of this including someone who is not and up-in-comer, and not named Urban Meyer.  

So if we were to break this down into tiers:

God Tier:

Urban Meyer

Tier 2:

Dan Mullens

James Franklin

Bryan Harsin

Tier 3:

Tony Elliot

Billy Napier

Josh Heupel

David Shaw

Luke Fickell

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You’re dying to talk about Bill Belichek, aren’t you?

Bill Belichick ?  Nah.  I don’t think he would be able to win at Texas.  This conference has too many high powered offenses and he just isnt strong enough on defense for us.  The only answer is Urban.  He would be the perfect hire and if we aren’t willing to pony up then CDC should just tell all the fans of the Longhorns that the goal is to win 6 games a year and go to a crappy bowl game because that is the best we can do with Herman.  I am tired of being a laughingstock in football and basketball.  Our academics are no better than a lot of state universities and they all seem to be able to field competent programs in those two sports.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm on the Urban train.  But I would perfectly be fine with Patterson if Urban says no.  He would actually compete for conference championships with a Jr/Sr roster.  

The problem is, that fat fuck hates us for passing on him twice.  He makes a fuck ton of money at TCU, they worship him, and he loves to watch our program fail.  

10 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I recall Dodds really wanting Barnett. Hicks and McCombs wanted Mack and somewhat forced it upon Dodds. I do not recall DKR being involved. 

From what I understood, there was, as usual, one group of BMDs working with Dodds on Barnett, and another group working on Brown.  The Brown group secured DKR's approval to help ice it.  

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m quite certain of it. “She” could have the beat pair of tits in the world and it doesn’t change the fact that she’s ugly as sin. 

What programs is Texas on par with?  Michigan?  YAY!!!  

Hell yes, we're on par with those programs.  If you don't realize that then poor you.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Updated - So if we were to break this down into tiers:

God Tier:

Urban Meyer

Tier 2:

Dan Mullens

James Franklin

Bryan Harsin

Mario Cristobal

Gus Malzhan

Tier 3: