Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

2 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Where the fuck was Briles an HC before UH. Do you even Wiki, bro?

Yes, I do.  He went from position coach to head coach at . . . wait for it . . . the University of Houston.  Not the University of Texas, not Baylor, and not any school in a P5 conference. 

It's starting to feel like we're all getting trolled with this whole "Texas should've hired Jeff Traylor as head football coach in 2016" bit.

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

Art Briles and UH..that's the argument.  Let me say that again.  Your shining city on the hill is Art Briles....and Cougar High

Stapler, hands, face....do it.  

Yeah, because every HS coach made good in the NCAA is a rape enabler. Happens all the time. And if you work for a guy who shields a wife-beater for years, the chances that you are also a rape-enabler magically disappear. 

Just now, South Austin said:

Yes, I do.  He went from position coach to head coach at . . . wait for it . . . the University of Houston.  Not the University of Texas, not Baylor, and not any school in a P5 conference. 

It's starting to feel like we're all getting trolled with this whole "Texas should've hired Jeff Traylor as head football coach in 2016" bit.

I feel like I am being trolled. The same bunch of you who are telling me that I am insane are saying that you first have to prove yourself at a school like UH (which Herman allegedly did) before they are ready for Texas. How has that been working out?

• Like 1

Someone pointed out that Mack tried to burn it down on his way out the door.

He didn't "try" - he did it. 

Now, we're looking at a pile of smoldering ashes, our coaching staff is stumping around in the ashes on wooden peglegs with flames coming out of the tips.

This thing doesn't look like it can be rebuilt - need to take a 'dozer to it and start from scratch. 

2 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Someone pointed out that Mack tried to burn it down on his way out the door.

He didn't "try" - he did it. 

Now, we're looking at a pile of smoldering ashes, our coaching staff is stumping around in the ashes on wooden peglegs with flames coming out of the tips.

This thing doesn't look like it can be rebuilt - need to take a 'dozer to it and start from scratch. 

Charlie tried and it got him fired. It's not like the NFL, MLB, or the NBA where you can dozer it and then get top draft picks, sadly. 

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I feel like I am being trolled. The same bunch of you who are telling me that I am insane are saying that you first have to prove yourself at a school like UH (which Herman allegedly did) before they are ready for Texas. How has that been working out?

Nobody is saying anything about Herman working out.  What we are saying is your idea is stupid and so far the only way you have supported your idea is with false equivalency, misdirection (like the post I just quoted) and maybe Gus Malzahn....maybe.  Otherwise in the past 40 years of college football not a single college football program that is a historical top 25 program like we are has made the move you are suggesting we make and seen it work.  There is no support for your position working out...because it never has.  You've said unbelievably stupid shit like "running a college football program for years and years is no different than running a TX HS program".  You are literally too stupid to argue with so I'm out but go on fucking that chicken.  

You have to prove yourself at the college level before you get a head coaching gig at a place like the University of Texas.  Being a special teams/tight ends coach for two years on a shitty coaching staff for a shitty team is not proving yourself.

I'd love to see you make a CEO hire for a major corporation.  "Well, Mickey, looks like your former company operated at a $10 million loss over the past two years and almost went into bankruptcy.  But we're gonna think outside the box on this one. You're hired!"

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

You have to prove yourself at the college level before you get a head coaching gig at a place like the University of Texas.  Being a special teams/tight ends coach for two years on a shitty coaching staff for a shitty team is not proving yourself.

I'd love to see you make a CEO hire for a major corporation.  "Well, Mickey, looks like your former company operated at a $10 million loss over the past two years and almost went into bankruptcy.  But we're gonna think outside the box on this one. You're hired!"

Ah, the old "We're Texas" argument. Love it. Darrell Royal had ONE SEASON at the then-backwater Washington when our BMDs were bold enough to hire him. Before that he'd been a position coach at a bunch of other shitholes and HC of the goddamn Edmonton Eskimos. In the early 1950s. Whoever hired him knew his football.

All Mack had proven when he got here was he could be Bobby Bowden's whipping boy, and it took not one but two transcendent QBs to prove he wasn't the same to Bob Stoops after he got here.

8 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Ah, the old "We're Texas" argument. Love it. Darrell Royal had ONE SEASON at the then-backwater Washington when our BMDs were bold enough to hire him. Before that he'd been a position coach at a bunch of other shitholes and HC of the goddamn Edmonton Eskimos. In the early 1950s. Whoever hired him knew his football.

All Mack had proven when he got here was he could be Bobby Bowden's whipping boy, and it took not one but two transcendent QBs to prove he wasn't the same to Bob Stoops after he got here.

Again, none of those data points are remotely comparable to Jeff Traylor.

Who gives a fuck about art briles. 

Regarding Herman calling the plays after the 1st qtr, the second half was fucking terrible so if true then it was terrible.

When you have a collaboration of guys giving input on play calling DURING the game it will always be a clusterfuck so I don't buy that shit. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians is worse than just one guy calling the plays and another helping read defenses and trying to be one step ahead of the other team. This sounds like multiple guys on a headset all chatting about different things we should run and Sending in random calls that don't make sense based off what they are in. 

Example: 3rd and 2 and we throw a quick out 2 yards behind the LOS. Collin doesn't block and we lose yards. That is WAY over thinking it and trying to "outsmart" your opponent by thinking "they won't see this coming". 

If Herman, Herb Hand and Beck and sounds like others are all chiming in during the game it's no wonder the offense looks to have zero flow during any games.

What's still funny to me is Herman saying the guys played tight and to be honest Herman is the one coaching with a clinched butt hole by giving duties back to Beck then taking them away at the end of the qtr? We are running a clown show.

One last thing about Traylor. He gets a lot of shit for his admittedly mixed results as special teams coach...But you know what? He was the guy who brought Dicko to the program, and I shudder to think where we would have been last year without "the punter."

God dammit Jeff, shut the fuck up and get back to coaching running backs at the worst program in the SECW.  You've reached the pinnacle of your career, now accept your lot in life coaching for those fucking hillbillies.  Eat a bag of shit-covered dicks and quit fucking up our Fire Tom Herman thread. 

tl, dr; your fucking username does not check out, Jeff.  Not even CLOSE to a coordinator, much less head coach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

What's still funny to me is Herman saying the guys played tight and to be honest Herman is the one coaching with a clinched butt hole by giving duties back to Beck then taking them away at the end of the qtr? We are running a clown show.

He knows he's blowing it. That has to be stressful. 

1 minute ago, Redneck Mutha said:

God dammit Jeff, shut the fuck up and get back to coaching running backs at the worst program in the SECW.  You've reached the pinnacle of your career, now accept your lot in life coaching for those fucking hillbillies.  Eat a bag of shit-covered dicks and quit fucking up our Fire Tom Herman thread. 

tl, dr; your fucking username does not check out, Jeff.  Not even CLOSE to a coordinator, much less head coach.

Again, personal insults with nothing to back them up. I've had 20 years of that on the Internet and am used to that. It's boring. It makes me laugh. Bring something more substantial next time kthxbai. 

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Who gives a fuck about art briles. 

Regarding Herman calling the plays after the 1st qtr, the second half was fucking terrible so if true then it was terrible.

When you have a collaboration of guys giving input on play calling DURING the game it will always be a clusterfuck so I don't buy that shit. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians is worse than just one guy calling the plays and another helping read defenses and trying to be one step ahead of the other team. This sounds like multiple guys on a headset all chatting about different things we should run and Sending in random calls that don't make sense based off what they are in. 

Example: 3rd and 2 and we throw a quick out 2 yards behind the LOS. Collin doesn't block and we lose yards. That is WAY over thinking it and trying to "outsmart" your opponent by thinking "they won't see this coming". 

If Herman, Herb Hand and Beck and sounds like others are all chiming in during the game it's no wonder the offense looks to have zero flow during any games.

I imagine what you are describing as about the same I hear when my 6th grade son is playing Fortnite with his friends....everybody yelling

23 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Ah, the old "We're Texas" argument. Love it. Darrell Royal had ONE SEASON at the then-backwater Washington when our BMDs were bold enough to hire him. Before that he'd been a position coach at a bunch of other shitholes and HC of the goddamn Edmonton Eskimos. 

1.  He had also spent two seasons as Miss State head coach.

2.  "then-backwater Washington?"  The coach who replaced Royal there won a national championship in his 4th season and is in the College Football Hall of Fame.  

You're going full retard with this argument.

I mean, the Traylor argument sounds stupid, but hiring Herman definitely was stupid. Which way are we better off? Offensively, I am gonna go with Traylor Gilbert and Maddox. Defensively, probly not. Traylor would have to produce much more quickly to not be out on his ass. But, it did not happen, and would not ever happen ever at a program like Texas.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That reminds me, Texas has 2 conference championships in 22 years.

That is so sad.

What's even sadder is that it took Superman and a QB with the 2nd most wins in NCAA history to win those 2 conference championships.

29 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Lulz yeah, Herman was added yesterday shortly after I posted that list. Rather amusing and coincidental. 

As far as recognizing names, yeah, it's not a who's who, and getting into Mensa isn't much of an accomplishment. That's why I noted that I qualified too. While do not think I'm an idiot, the jury is still out on me. I'm certainly not regarded.

Hell, I'm qualified too.  Anyone who was National Merit in high school qualifies for Mensa.  

I’ve gotten drunk, sobered up, gotten drunk again and sobered up again. And I’m still at 2000 degrees F. This dick sack has to get run out of town this week. Fuck him and his dog. Fuck his pet fish. The cute squirrel in his backyard? Fuck him. A silenced .22 between his beedy eyes. Burn Tom’s shitty Westlake faux hoity toity chateaux to the ground. Kick him straight in the asshole and FUCKING CURB STOMP HIS DUMBASS FACE. He’s not the guy. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, FriendofaFriend said:

I mean, the Traylor argument sounds stupid, but hiring Herman definitely was stupid. Which way are we better off? Offensively, I am gonna go with Traylor Gilbert and Maddox. Defensively, probly not. Traylor would have to produce much more quickly to not be out on his ass. But, it did not happen, and would not ever happen ever at a program like Texas.

This is also stupid.  

In 2016 our choices weren’t limited to Tom Herman and Jeff Traylor, and if they were, it still would make no sense to hire Traylor over Herman. 

And using what we know now about Herman might be a reason to question hiring him over some other qualified candidate in 2016. It is not a reason for hiring Jeff Traylor. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 11:12 AM, TexasFan21 said:

no one quoted this that i can think of.... look for this one in the presser.....

Here’s a stat: Texas has lost 15 games by margins of 7 points or less since 2014. No Power 5 team has more close losses. Seven of those Ls were to unranked teams.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Doesn’t pass the sniff test to me. They called the second half like the first quarter. They had half-decent uptempo drives in the 2nd (but I think part of that was Maryland was being Maryland and never called a TO, they were gassed.)

So Herman took over and the team showed life but immediately after halftime turtled and ran an offensive offense  ... and Herman didn’t stop Beck? 

I call bullshit. None of them have a goddamn clue what they’re doing offensively. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

First I want to congratulate Maryland, that was an emotional football team that had a lot to play for.  it's really hard to go on the road and beat a power 5 school especially one fighting to pay respects for a fallen teammate

www.hornfans.com might be a more appropriate venue for you

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

First I want to congratulate Maryland, that was an emotional football team that had a lot to play for.  it's really hard to go on the road and beat a power 5 school especially one fighting to pay respects for a fallen teammate

sorry that was supposed to be on the presser thread

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This is also stupid.  

In 2016 our choices weren’t limited to Tom Herman and Jeff Traylor, and if they were, it still would make no sense to hire Traylor over Herman. 

And using what we know now about Herman might be a reason to question hiring him over some other qualified candidate in 2016. It is not a reason for hiring Jeff Traylor. 

Oh I agree, but this thread took a giant "what if" tangent and I am just saying that while one side of the argument (Traylor) would never happen, it doesn't mean that the outcome  would be worse. I am saying, and will continue to say (unless he wins a National Championship), that hiring Herman was a stupid move. But you are spot on with the scenario being stupid

46 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

2.  "then-backwater Washington?"  The coach who replaced Royal there won a national championship in his 4th season and is in the College Football Hall of Fame.  

Welch-Odell-Cherberg-Royal era (1942–1956)[edit]

Following Phelan, Washington fielded a succession of teams under four coaches without either great success, or failure. Washington participated in one bowl game and tallied no conference championships during this period with an overall record of 65–68–7.

Ralph Welch played at Purdue under head coach James Phelan, whom he followed to Washington to become an assistant coach in 1930. In 1942, Welch was promoted to succeed Phelan as Washington's head coach and served until 1947, compiling a record of 27–20–3. World War II limited both the 1943 and 1944 seasons of the PCC, reducing team participation from ten team down to just four. Welch's 1943 team accepted the school's third Rose Bowl bid, but lost to PCC champion USC 0–29 in the 1944 Rose Bowl. Welch's first five teams all fielded winning records, but final 1947 team did not.

Howard Odell joined Washington in 1948 from Yale. In his five seasons from 1948 to 1952, he compiled a record of 23–25–2 with two winning seasons.

John Cherberg, a Washington player and then assistant from 1946 to 1952, became head coach in 1953. He compiled a 10–18–2 record from 1953 to 1955, before being removed due to a payoff scandal.[14] Cherberg went on to become Washington state's longest serving Lieutenant Governor, from 1957 until his death in 1989.[15]

Darrell Royal was retained and led the 1956 team to a 5–5 record, before leaving to coach at Texas where he won three national championships, was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1983, and had the school's football stadium renamed in his honor as Darrell K Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium.

49 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

As to point one I stand corrected. But he went 17-13 there. If we hired a coach with a record like that even from the SEC! he would be burned in effigy before he ever even got to campus. "Darrell Royal Is Not Our Standard," etc. And I guess Traylor would be too. We are a Goldilocks fanbase.

40 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Doesn’t pass the sniff test to me. They called the second half like the first quarter. They had half-decent uptempo drives in the 2nd (but I think part of that was Maryland was being Maryland and never called a TO, they were gassed.)

So Herman took over and the team showed life but immediately after halftime turtled and ran an offensive offense  ... and Herman didn’t stop Beck? 

I call bullshit. None of them have a goddamn clue what they’re doing offensively. 

I second this. Watch Matt Canada, he was consistently going over a play-chart, talking into his headset, and then getting into position to watch the play. That's what someone calling plays looks like. Herman wasn't on screen as much, but not once did it look like he was considering a play call. This sounds like made up 9.95 bs which seems plausible if you are holding out hope for a miraculous turnaround. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

They were gassed because they're thin.  That uptempo drive in the 2Q was the best offensive sequence in the game and, hell, even Ehlinger looked comfortable in it.    Of course, we never really went back to it because, well it worked once, and, you know, Tom knows what's best.  Always. 

We need coaches from programs that know how to win now and keep it going.  Nashville, AR Jr High Junior Scrappers have won 65 in a row.

https://www.swarkansasnews.com/2017/11/junior-scrappers-extend-streak-to-65-in-a-row-earn-7th-straight-district-championship/

I'd prefer Point Loma Pop Warner, but they blew it after winning 29 in  row.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-point-loma-pop-warner-super-bowl-repeat-bid-falls-short-20171208-story.html

Edited by clapclapclap
It's good to have options
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

And in honor of them, we ran the "missing coach formation", not just the first play, but the entire game.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

I’d like to point out the obvious real quick. Tom Herman is not the coach that will lead this team back to the top of college football. Given that obvious fact, we’re now in the midst of a painfully slow process in which we give him every opportunity to prove he’s not capable of turning this program around. There will be some fleeting moments of joy and many more painful lows. But he hasn’t a clue how to fix this program and we are stuck wandering the desert for several more years.

cheers, fellas.

• Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas
  • immamac featured this topic
  • immamac unfeatured this topic