Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

54 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

The way our former athletes are performing in the NFL right now is a testament to how poorly we develop our talent. Malcolm Brown never sniffed a 1000 yard season here and he's scoring touchdowns in the NFL. Adrian Phillips is a starter for the fucking NE Patriots. How many times have we made fun of Kris Boyd getting burned or mistiming his jump?? ...still a starter in the NFL. We didn't realize the monster we had in Devin Duvernay until his senior year. Collin Johnson seemed overrated until he left. We could go on all day. The athletes are here and they have been here. The recruiting service rankings are not inaccurate for us and somehow accurate everywhere else. Talent wants to be here. We just don't develop it anywhere near it's maximum potential. We don't scheme around it either. Another problem is we don't recruit strategically (see roster holes at LB). This is all on the coaching. A good head coach change will turn recruiting around and will take advantage of this year's transfer rules. On the other hand, failure to act will solidify our status as Tennessee.

To be fair, some of us were pretty consistent that Kris Boyd was an NFL talent the entire time. People see a DB get burned or make bone-headed plays and immediatelly assume they suck. Watching him a lot, it was clear he was special and I constantly defended him on surly/shaggy. Malcolm Brown was a victim of a terrible offensive line, a problem that still hasn't been fixed, frustratingly. Phillips is a ridiculous eff up. The dude could play and had to leave as an upperclassman to get playing time.  Duvernay was put in the wrong position. He always should have been in the slot, but with LJ performing it's hard to fault the coaches too much for that one.  Johnson was under-utilized badly because of a bad offensive scheme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

All of this.

I don't understand how anyone is penciling this team into the CCG.  We lost to a bad TCU team and a bad OU team, and we should've lost to a bad Tech team.  Yeah, we beat a good Okie State team and held serve against a couple more bad teams.  But we still have a lot of issues and I'd say we're just as likely to finish 1-2 as 3-0.

You just don't know what you're gonna get from this team from week to week, one of the hallmarks of a poorly coached team.  I'm certainly not counting any chickens.

I don't think OU is that bad. They can score. Their coach definitely owns ours, which continues to be an absolute outrage. Herman is mediocre at best. If not for Urban, he'd probably be coaching high school or Division 2.

3 hours ago, Mikey4 said:
5 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:
Clemson and Alabama wouldn’t have cut Jake Smith, they would have made him better and schemed ways to use him. I mean Jake Smith is 10 times the athlete Hunter Renfro was and Clemson made the latter a superstar. Fact is, talent comes to Austin to die, and players rarely reach full potential here. That has to be a coaching issue.

Absolutely it is a coaching issue. That's why I hate the narrative that talent comes to Texas to die. The problem is not "Texas." The problem is Charlie Strong and Tom Herman. Let's get a real coach and then see what happens to talent at Texas.

Even under Mack we had a bad reputation for our players being “soft” when they went to the NFL. 

• Like 1

I'm not really talking about on field results, more addressing the narrative that talent came to die under Mack's glory days when it absolutely didn't. You can have plenty of talent shine in college and at the next level and not necessarily win every game with those guys. You seem to be referring to the idea of "wasting talent" which, yeah, we probably did to a degree, but we were so fucking loaded in those years that 10 wins was a bad season. 
I don't think we won as much as we COULD have but I don't beleive that it was some mass underachievement to be 4 games and just a handful of points away from winning 2 MNCs and playing in 5. No way we beat Miami in '01 or SC in '04 (although Vince could have made it interesting). Heart of hearts I do beleive we beat UF in '08.
Chips fell enough for us to get 1 year on the wall. Push them over the ledge a bit more and there's 2 or 3 up there. Thank fuck we didn't hang a goose egg.
Got you. You're right. Lots of solid NFL careers including a few free agents that made their marks.

And now we're in an era in which Big 12, particularly on the defensive side, are devalued. No way a guy like Poona should be undrafted.

We actually have decent representation in the NFL on the defensive side. I think dumb scheme rather than failure to develop is a factor. On the defensive side. Poor evals and lack of development are bigger issues on the offensive side.
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I don't think OU is that bad. They can score. Their coach definitely owns ours, which continues to be an absolute outrage. Herman is mediocre at best. If not for Urban, he'd probably be coaching high school or Division 2.

They're bad enough that our shit team took them to 4 OTs in Dallas and on any one of our scoring possessions in OT, Turdle Tom could have gone for two, pushed it in and walked out with a W.  

They're also bad on the scale of strength/depth/starts compared to past OU rosters over the last decade.

I wouldn't be nearly as concerned about our defense if we faced them again in Arlington-- it's that our offense has regressed into dertpitude and wouldn't put points on the board.

13 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

And now we're in an era in which Big 12, particularly on the defensive side, are devalued. No way a guy like Poona should be undrafted.

+1, it's a problem around the conference, not unique to Texas.  One of the first opportunities I'd like to see from an experienced HC take right to the Conference Head Office and Media to address, in spite the number of flags drawn on the field.  

Some think Herman stays if we wins out, which might be true.  However, if you believe he'll be gone even if he wins out, like I do, is there a scenario where he definitely stays? I guess if he murders ISU, OU, KSU and Kansas, then he probably is retained.  I don't think the administration could move on him in that scenario. Of course, I don't see that happening. It would be the first time since he's been at Texas that the team became dominant. I guess you could squint and convince yourself that it has taken until now for the new offense and defense to take hold. That's a pretty big stretch, but not completely impossible. Next four weeks could be interesting, unless he loses to ISU.

32 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Some think Herman stays if we wins out, which might be true.  However, if you believe he'll be gone even if he wins out, like I do, is there a scenario where he definitely stays? I guess if he murders ISU, OU, KSU and Kansas, then he probably is retained.  I don't think the administration could move on him in that scenario. Of course, I don't see that happening. It would be the first time since he's been at Texas that the team became dominant. I guess you could squint and convince yourself that it has taken until now for the new offense and defense to take hold. That's a pretty big stretch, but not completely impossible. Next four weeks could be interesting, unless he loses to ISU.

9-2, conference champ, 6 win streak in a pandemic year, beating OU in December, I don't know how you can part ways without looking incredibly bad - unless UM is already 100% inked..

I don't believe it will come to that though.

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

9-2, conference champ, 6 win streak in a pandemic year, beating OU in December, I don't know how you can part ways without looking incredibly bad - unless UM is already 100% inked..

Ousux will skull fuck us if we played them again. They got a lot better on both sides of the ball since our game with them. While we have improved on defense our offense as regressed. 

• Rage+1 2

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Ousux will skull fuck us if we played them again. They got a lot better on both sides of the ball since our game with them. While we have improved on defense our offense as regressed. 

We played them without their best player on each side of the ball, both of whom are difference makers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Tbh though if Sam could hit receivers consistently in tighter windows or throw them open it wouldn’t seem like they can’t get separation. 

I think receivers can’t get separation because they run their routes in anticipation of how Sam throws. 

17 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

We're going 3-0. Then OU.

Stogner is OUs best offense weapon. Mims and Henderson are the next threats. Stevenson and the run game only go as far as the blocking, scheme and play calling take them. Mediocre talents.

As almost always who pressures the QB best will have the advantage.

Nah, ISU is gonna push our shit it

24 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Stogner is OUs best offense weapon. Mims and Henderson are the next threats. Stevenson and the run game only go as far as the blocking, scheme and play calling take them. Mediocre talents.

It’s like you haven’t watched an OU game the past four years. They’ll run the same pull counter for 6 yards consistently. I don’t give a fuck who’s in the backfield. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If they have a deal with UM then Herman should be out on his ass no matter what happens.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

As almost always who pressures the QB best will have the advantage.don’t forget Wease Jr. 

he’s growing up...

It’s like you haven’t watched an OU game the past four years. They’ll run the same pull counter for 6 yards consistently. I don’t give a fuck who’s in the backfield. 
That's a bit of what I'm saying. The RB makes no difference. But I'd say their points generally come from the passing game.

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Guys, guys, he stays if we can't get Urban. It's that simple. Deal with it. Right now, today, there's nobody out there who will move the needle (CDC's or the BMD's) enough to make the buyouts (plural) worthwhile. If we can't get Urban, we stay where we are and bitch about it for another year with a first-time starting QB while recruiting continues to plummet. (And I'll be right there leading the bitching.)

• Rage+1 1

I'd much rather lose to ISU than get skullfucked by ousux in the champ game. Horns are like 25 and 30 in my lifetime. If the next 20 years are like the last 20, the oklahoma bastards will take the all-time series lead during my life if I'm lucky enough to live another 20 years. God I hate those fuckers. 

12 hours ago, Had Enough said:

My mistake, you did list Stevenson.

Edited by Scooter Monzingo
Reading comprehension

19 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

To be fair, some of us were pretty consistent that Kris Boyd was an NFL talent the entire time. People see a DB get burned or make bone-headed plays and immediatelly assume they suck. Watching him a lot, it was clear he was special and I constantly defended him on surly/shaggy. Malcolm Brown was a victim of a terrible offensive line, a problem that still hasn't been fixed, frustratingly. Phillips is a ridiculous eff up. The dude could play and had to leave as an upperclassman to get playing time.  Duvernay was put in the wrong position. He always should have been in the slot, but with LJ performing it's hard to fault the coaches too much for that one.  Johnson was under-utilized badly because of a bad offensive scheme.

Adrian Phillips finished his career at Texas.  He was an undrafted free agent.  Adrian Colbert left as an upperclassman for Miami.  

9 hours ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

I'd much rather lose to ISU than get skullfucked by ousux in the champ game. Horns are like 25 and 30 in my lifetime. If the next 20 years are like the last 20, the oklahoma bastards will take the all-time series lead during my life if I'm lucky enough to live another 20 years. God I hate those fuckers. 

I didn't know kindergartners routinely used the word skullfucked.  Must be that new math.... 

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas