Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

6 hours ago, Texas25 said:

Sam Ehlinger (TRSO) thru 6 games: 132/202 (65.35%), 1499 yards, 17 total TDs (11 passing) and 2 INTs       5-1 (3-0)

Colt McCoy (RSSO) thru 6 games: 137/212 (64.62%), 1578 yards, 10 total TDs and 10 INTs          5-1 (2-1)

Get off the kids back and let him lead us out of this abyss of QB ineptitude that we have gone through post Colt.

Eye popping comparison there

It's possible to have thought Sam was the better choice over Shane all along and still be concerned that Sam would never become an elite P5 quarterback.

Frankly, I'm not confident he'll ever get to that level in any traditional sense of the word "elite", but I'll take him.  He's learning fast, he's tough, big enough, can move the chains with his feet, and at this point only seems to make a couple of "huh?" throws per game (mostly to Devin Duvernay's feet).

i mean, if you're not gonna consider 5 TD's and 0 turnover against a top 10/biggest rival opponent "elite" then maybe you and i have different definitions of the word. 

he was the best player on the field today as a true sophomore halfway into his campaign.  not sure what some of you are looking for.  it's right in front of your eyes. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

i mean, if you're not gonna consider 5 TD's and 0 turnover against a top 10/biggest rival opponent "elite" then maybe you and i have different definitions of the word. 

he was the best player on the field today as a true sophomore halfway into his campaign.  not sure what some of you are looking for.  it's right in front of your eyes. 

Well, you're talking to the type of "fans" who rag on Sam when he has an 80% completion rate and no turnovers, because the WR had to "fall to the ground" (the horror!) or make a tough catch.  Mind you, half the time they have to fall to the ground, it's because he's keeping the ball low and away from defenders, so our wideouts don't get killed, and the main objective is to pick up the first.  If you've looked at the misses he's had recently, most, if not all err on the side of safety and not turning the ball over.  But I digress.  By the time his collegiate career is over, a lot of people are going to wish we had another QB who plays as hard and bleeds burnt orange as much as Sam does.  The dude has an alpha attitude I haven't seen from a Texas QB in a long time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

like 85% of that is factual. sam wasn't slinging arrows to moving targets, he was missing open wr's by huge margins and had been inconsistent. today's superb game doesn't make that stuff untrue, and this witch hunt to blast anybody who said anything critical about sam is still just as stupid as it was then. the vast majority of those quotes are not worth a bump. if someone said he sucks, he's terrible, he'll never get better, he can't beat ou, buechele is better, or something like that, then sure, bump away. but all you're doing right now is reinforcing the extremely noticeable hornfans element to this thread. 

sam was awesome today. focus on that, and not bumping every single critical thing said about sam, as if we all don't remember what's been said in this thread or something. 

derka, you've been around since the beginning, you knew the lay of the land

there would be repercussions; there always are, nobody holds back

and your shocked at this moment?

is that what your saying?

Sam Ehlinger has entered ESPN's heisman watch: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/gamedayfinal100618/welcome-big-12

Heisman 5

1. Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama: In the past decade, only three quarterbacks have had at least 20 touchdowns and no interceptions through their team's first six games: Tagovailoa, Marcus Mariota (twice!) and Geno Smith.

2. Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State: He's got 25 touchdown passes through six games. In the past decade, he's just the fifth QB to do that.

3. Darrell Henderson, Memphis: The running back is averaging 12 yards per carry and has 12 rushing touchdowns already.

4. Kyler Murray, Oklahoma: Yes, the Sooners lost, but it's hard to pin all of that on Murray, who finished with five more touchdowns, bringing his season total to 26 -- eight more than Baker Mayfield had at this point last year.

5. Sam Ehlinger, Texas: So what if we're overreacting to one week. Texas is back, baby!

Just like Colt, looks like an amazing game in the RRS has propelled Sam into the national conversation. Atta fucking boy!

9 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Could become first Texas QB to beat OU twice in a season. If OU survives T+1.

Here's an idea.  Lets take care of our business and not worry about who we will play in the CCG.  We have to get there first.  No slip-ups.  If we do that, I am confident we will handle whoever we play.  

Neg away.  I'm used to it.  :) 

• Fuck You 1

17 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

24/35 for 314 yards, 2 td's, 0 int.

also, 19 carries for 72 yards and 3 td's.

there are a lot of you who need to fuck off.

72 yards rushing. Unleashing this weapon took our to to another level and we nearly put up 50. I’m cool sandbagging him for bigger games but it makes this offense so freaking hard to defend 

• Like 1

Sam Ehlinger has entered ESPN's heisman watch: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/gamedayfinal100618/welcome-big-12

Heisman 5 1. Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama: In the past decade, only three quarterbacks have had at least 20 touchdowns and no interceptions through their team's first six games: Tagovailoa, Marcus Mariota (twice!) and Geno Smith.
2. Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State: He's got 25 touchdown passes through six games. In the past decade, he's just the fifth QB to do that.
3. Darrell Henderson, Memphis: The running back is averaging 12 yards per carry and has 12 rushing touchdowns already.
4. Kyler Murray, Oklahoma: Yes, the Sooners lost, but it's hard to pin all of that on Murray, who finished with five more touchdowns, bringing his season total to 26 -- eight more than Baker Mayfield had at this point last year.
5. Sam Ehlinger, Texas: So what if we're overreacting to one week. Texas is back, baby!
Just like Colt, looks like an amazing game in the RRS has propelled Sam into the national conversation. Atta fucking boy!

Dooomed
  • Like 1

Oh sure. But don't act like he was perfect. He was pedestrian for the 2nd and 3rd quarter before he went off. 
Give credit to our defense. Brandon Jones's early interception shook Murray, and we had great coverage. In q2 and q3, there were plenty of times that Murray went back to pass and didn't have anywhere to go or was to scared of another pick to try.

23 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Lolz. Yes, the Sooners lost, but it's hard to pin all of that on Murray, who had 2 turnovers that lead to 10 of Texas' points. 

Texas probably loses if Murray doesn't try to use the ball for balance, and lose it. Sooners were only down 7 at that point, and were driving to tie the game. A few minutes later Texas was up by 21.

Take the loss, Pussy.

20 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Oh sure. But don't act like he was perfect. He was pedestrian for the 2nd and 3rd quarter before he went off. 

For sure. Bad holds and general offensive ineptitude made it close as well. Murray was rattled in the 3rd and sailing his throws. If we didn’t open the door with back to back holds, I think the 4th would have been more of the same.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

I feel bad for Closetojumping. This rivalry win must be tough for him.

As I have said continually through the thread, if the dude continues to be a part of the wins, I don’t give one fuck about anything but the wins. Implying that I’d like to lose is weak, pussy posting. I know you’re still hurt that I told you Charlie Strong wasn’t going to get it get done when you still needed that as part of your rooting identity or something, but I’m the same as I’ve ever been. Happy for the win, just like you dipshits. 

16 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
17 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:
I feel bad for Closetojumping. This rivalry win must be tough for him.

CTJ will have to comfort himself tonight by smelling his own farts.

They smell like strawberries. Delicious. 

16 hours ago, BigXII said:

Sam "Mehlinger" is going to get way, way, way more pussy tonight than Closetojumping will ever see in his entire lifetime.

Absolutely incorrect. 

15 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

You may not have noticed, but Closetojumping doesn't know very much about actual football.

Literally this is the first football post I think I’ve ever read from you. I guess you’ve moved on from hiding after saying the same shit at me on the Shaggy recruiting board last summer.

15 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Ctj weigh in on Sam?

13 hours ago, VaHorn said:

He will disappear like a little bitch. He always does. 

I always come back in and post, right or wrong. Implying otherwise is your own bullshit. So many mudholes, Alabama ball gargling, whatever. I take a lot of positions and sometimes they’re wrong. I have no obligation the day of a big win to do anything but enjoy it, do whatever the fuck else I want. Sorry you guys aren’t Astros fans and didn’t have plans on Saturday evening.

Anyways, congrats to Sam Ehlinger and the big win yesterday. He fucking balled out and it was awesome to watch. The coaches fucked him, along with the holding calls, after we got up at 45. I’m glad he brought them back in the end when Herman’s switch was flipped again. Ehlinger has shown legitimate mental improvement, as far as I can see, and that’s somewhat shocking to me. I hope he can stay healthy and keep developing. I’m sure he’ll have down games mixed in too, but every QB ever seems like they try to lose a game or two each year, so isolated shit isn’t going to change my view that he’s showing a chance to develop into a stud. I hope he stays upward.

I realize there’s this piece of shit trend on this board, especially with some guys on this thread, to go back, copy part of a post, and then repost that element and attack it, but not one fucking time on this thread have I rooted against Ehlinger. I said I don’t think he’s smart. I said he does everything average. I said, and continue to hope for, competition in the spring and the future (I view this as critical at every position and in life itself), and immediately after the Maryland game along with half the board, my first post here said he was a loser. I also said I hope he gets it figured out, that we keep winning, that he’s the guy this year barring injury, and that I want the program to win as much or more than anyone else bleeding out for Sam on this thread and that remains true. 

So I’m pumped and have found great entertainment in this thread. Congrats to the revelers here now. I hope you get to keep it up.

• Like 9
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, BigXII said:

LMAO yeah, the dude who runs onto the internet at 10:00 AM to defend his e-cred is definitely drowning in pussy. Get fucked you virgin loser.

As fulfilling as it would be to have a comparative dick measuring competition with an unknown guy posting like a junior college freshman, I’m comfortable with you thinking whatever you want about how much pussy I get or have gotten. You aren’t worth the bullet.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

"I don't care what you have to say about me being a virgin" says the nerd posting about it twice within 10 minutes with literally thousands of posts on the THIRD spinoff fan site of a college football team.

Edited by BigXII
  • Fuck You 3

4 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Well, you're talking to the type of "fans" who rag on Sam when he has an 80% completion rate and no turnovers, because the WR had to "fall to the ground" (the horror!) or make a tough catch.  Mind you, half the time they have to fall to the ground, it's because he's keeping the ball low and away from defenders, so our wideouts don't get killed, and the main objective is to pick up the first.  If you've looked at the misses he's had recently, most, if not all err on the side of safety and not turning the ball over.  But I digress.  By the time his collegiate career is over, a lot of people are going to wish we had another QB who plays as hard and bleeds burnt orange as much as Sam does.  The dude has an alpha attitude I haven't seen from a Texas QB in a long time.

It's almost as if you ignored half my post.  I was thrilled with Sam's performance.  I was on record before yesterday that I'm thrilled he seems to be doing a great job managing the game and reducing his mistakes.  It's not all that surprising this happened -- year 2 under the lights usually leads to significant improvement for most players.

Our QB competition is going to be fascinating going forward.  If we  avoid bad losses we'll probably be in the CCG, with a good chance of winning it.  I'm not really sure how a coach could make a switch at that point with Sam heading into his junior year, regardless of how good the backup(s) are.  Nice problem to have.

50 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's almost as if you ignored half my post.  I was thrilled with Sam's performance.  I was on record before yesterday that I'm thrilled he seems to be doing a great job managing the game and reducing his mistakes.  It's not all that surprising this happened -- year 2 under the lights usually leads to significant improvement for most players.

Our QB competition is going to be fascinating going forward.  If we  avoid bad losses we'll probably be in the CCG, with a good chance of winning it.  I'm not really sure how a coach could make a switch at that point with Sam heading into his junior year, regardless of how good the backup(s) are.  Nice problem to have.

My point was there are a bunch of fans here and on every Texas football site who rag on Sam for every little mistake he makes (and things they'd overlook if it was Trevor Lawrence, etc.), so getting people to call it an elite performance or him an elite QB no matter what he does just isn't going to happen.  I couldn't care less if he's "elite" or not, but he's our best option and he was our best option at the start of the season.  It wasn't long ago that people were hoping we'd have any decent QB back there, yet up until last week, quite a few people thought we should ditch Sam and his 4 game win streak with 0 INTs for some mythical all-world QB we had sitting on the bench.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

My point was there are a bunch of fans here and on every Texas football site who rag on Sam for every little mistake he makes (and things they'd overlook if it was Trevor Lawrence, etc.), so getting people to call it an elite performance or him an elite QB no matter what he does just isn't going to happen.  I couldn't care less if he's "elite" or not, but he's our best option and he was our best option at the start of the season.  It wasn't long ago that people were hoping we'd have any decent QB back there, yet up until last week, quite a few people thought we should ditch Sam and his 4 game win streak with 0 INTs for some mythical all-world QB we had sitting on the bench.

Sam is still paying for the sins of last season and Maryland. He broke the school record for most passes without an INT and with every incompletion he gets shit on for inaccuracy. 

I doubt jt daniels or trevor Lawrence get that much shit.

5 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

My point was there are a bunch of fans here and on every Texas football site who rag on Sam for every little mistake he makes

This.  Crow not accepted.

Why should this game change anyone's mind?  If you didn't like him against MD, USC, TCU, or KSU, you shouldn't be convinced by this game.  It wasn't Sam's best game of the year or even in the top half - or even against a decent defense.

If you didn't like his fade routes to CJ9, the wheel to Watson must have given you a conniption.  The misses on deep out routes were plenty to go around this game.  If you didn't like him leading a WR to the ground over the middle, it actually cost us a first down this game.

Don't give in to the pressure of a big win over a hated rival.  Tell us how you really feel.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Why should this game change anyone's mind?  If you didn't like him against MD, USC, TCU, or KSU, you shouldn't be convinced by this game.  It wasn't Sam's best game of the year or even in the top half - or even against a decent defense.

If you didn't like his fade routes to CJ9, the wheel to Watson must have given you a conniption.  The misses on deep out routes were plenty to go around this game.  If you didn't like him leading a WR to the ground over the middle, it actually cost us a first down this game.

Don't give in to the pressure of a big win over a hated rival.  Tell us how you really feel.

You sound like a fucking idiot with this position. This isn’t Braveheart and Ehlinger hasn’t been personally molested by posters on this thread, so get over your silly “someone was wrong on the Internet, goddammit!!!” entitlement. Ehlinger is on a roll, enjoy it. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

As fulfilling as it would be to have a comparative dick measuring competition with an unknown guy posting like a junior college freshman, I’m comfortable with you thinking whatever you want about how much pussy I get or have gotten. You aren’t worth the bullet.

Can't really make fun of somebody's "junior high posting" when you yourself make up childish names for college QB's. Not acting like much of an adult yourself but then again I've never seen you claim to be one so who knows. To each their own..

Edited by Texas25
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, JBJ said:

yesterday was, without question, his best game of the year and the best game of his texas career.  come on now.

I'm good with Sam.  Would love to see him develop a bit more accuracy on his passes, but hopefully that will come with continued development.  He has cut down on the costly mistakes and turnovers over the last few games, which is good progress.  I love his leadership and poise, and the "take the loss, pussy" jab at Murray when Murray was being a bitchy little princess after the game was awesome.  He is a true orangeblood, through and through.

Whatever I might have said on or about 9/1 about Sam... strike that.  I'm an idiot.

He still has accuracy issues, but his decision-making is waaaaaayy better than last year.  I think having an improved OL also helps in this regard--he has a little more time to process what's going on.

I don't think he's going to play every game like he did yesterday, but if he can be reasonably  efficient, avoid mistakes, and occasionally give us a good run, it's much better than last season.

I haven't been able to read much this week... but I am more curious about how did the game-planning and called the plays.  Didn't think Tim Beck had this in him...

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's possible to have thought Sam was the better choice over Shane all along and still be concerned that Sam would never become an elite P5 quarterback.

Frankly, I'm not confident he'll ever get to that level in any traditional sense of the word "elite", but I'll take him.  He's learning fast, he's tough, big enough, can move the chains with his feet, and at this point only seems to make a couple of "huh?" throws per game (mostly to Devin Duvernay's feet).

Elite QBs are great.  They are few and far between.

I don't want to have an offense that relies on an elite QB to win games.  Having a decent or good QB, with a kick-ass offensive line and true threats at RB, WR, and TE, is where I want Texas to be regularly.  And we're getting there.

Edited by utee94

I always come back in and post, right or wrong. Implying otherwise is your own bullshit. So many mudholes, Alabama ball gargling, whatever. I take a lot of positions and sometimes they’re wrong. I have no obligation the day of a big win to do anything but enjoy it, do whatever the fuck else I want. Sorry you guys aren’t Astros fans and didn’t have plans on Saturday evening.
Anyways, congrats to Sam Ehlinger and the big win yesterday. He fucking balled out and it was awesome to watch. The coaches fucked him, along with the holding calls, after we got up at 45. I’m glad he brought them back in the end when Herman’s switch was flipped again. Ehlinger has shown legitimate mental improvement, as far as I can see, and that’s somewhat shocking to me. I hope he can stay healthy and keep developing. I’m sure he’ll have down games mixed in too, but every QB ever seems like they try to lose a game or two each year, so isolated shit isn’t going to change my view that he’s showing a chance to develop into a stud. I hope he stays upward.
I realize there’s this piece of shit trend on this board, especially with some guys on this thread, to go back, copy part of a post, and then repost that element and attack it, but not one fucking time on this thread have I rooted against Ehlinger. I said I don’t think he’s smart. I said he does everything average. I said, and continue to hope for, competition in the spring and the future (I view this as critical at every position and in life itself), and immediately after the Maryland game along with half the board, my first post here said he was a loser. I also said I hope he gets it figured out, that we keep winning, that he’s the guy this year barring injury, and that I want the program to win as much or more than anyone else bleeding out for Sam on this thread and that remains true. 
So I’m pumped and have found great entertainment in this thread. Congrats to the revelers here now. I hope you get to keep it up.

Thats a lot of words for “I am Sam”
  • Like 1

Just now, Eskimohorn said:

Thats a lot of words for “I am Sam”

I shouted it as loud and retardedly as I could each time he scored or threw a touchdown yesterday at the sports bar with my buddies. We were laughing pretty hard as it went on. I still think I prefer Mehlinger as my number one choice, but it doesn’t irritate people here as much. 

Welp, If you look at Surly threads. It seems that there are a few posters that it is actually about them more than the program itself. Not going to name any names.
You mean Derka, who created 4 threads about how bad Sam sucked in the span of 15 minutes? Lmao. But they were all deleted because it wasn't about Sam, it was about how right here was about Sam supposedly sucking.

17 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

what a sensationalist reaction to someone who simply doesn't agree with you when it comes to the talent level of a football player. more hornfans stuff here. stop it. 

yeah i have to address all of the neg rep that this post is getting. el guapo asked that i be banned from this thread *for being critical of sam ehlinger*, and you're all negging me for this reaction to that. this must be bizarro shaggy, my god. aside from the fact that that all i did was not believe in the guy, has everyone forgotten that this thread was started specifically to criticize ehlinger? and yet you guys all think i should be banned from the thread for...criticizing ehlinger?

we've truly come full circle in a very bad way if this is the case. i spent a decade on shaggy being told that i needed to grow thicker skin and that this site wasn't for me if i couldn't handle it, and here we are now seriously asking to ban people for criticizing the starting qb. that is absolutely crazy. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

Texas_Won_neg.png

Yeah, dufus. You went through and negged me, so I went ahead returned the favor.  Now you’re predictably being a bitch and bawling publicly about it.  If you’re going to mess with the rep stuff when you’re just being downright petty, don’t expect others to live above it. It’s a nice dishonest maneuver to then turn and attempt to play a victim though. That’s true weasel shit right there. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

His performance today was awesome.  He played great last year as a freshman in this game, but this was obviously even more impressive. Gus Johnson said something on the call yesterday like 'This kid was born to be a Texas quarterback' and they showed some home video footage of Sam as a 2-3 year old throwing a football at his dad saying 'I'm Chris Simms!' as his off camera mom narrated.  They also showed the black and white twitter pick of Sam doing the horns up as a 4 year old that I am sure everyone has seen.  It was amazing and his life has kind of been like a movie script to this point except the movie would have him with a different name (Colt McCoy sounds right).

Anyway.  He outplayed Murray in a game that non-partisan fans would likely name one of the greatest versions of a contest held 113 times.  He is a Longhorn legend at this point and he's the guy for the next two of these.  He is tough.  He is a leader.  He flashes at times, the throw to CJ on the first drive on the sidelines while not perfect, was an NFL type of throw in that it thrown perfectly secure in that CJ was going to get it or it was going to be incomplete.  A very low risk/high reward type of throw.  The ball to Tre for his TD was pretty nice too.  And then more than anything, and the difference between the two QBs, was no turnovers.  Again.  Him setting the record for most passed without a pick by a UT QB...I've always been a fan but even I'll have to admit that Sam breaking and extending that record is...improbable.  I can't wait to see how much better he gets.