Why does Kyle Porter even play?

GhostofDanJones

1 minute ago, Bullneck said:

I didn't even know who Kyle Porter was until today.  I saw him score a TD, I assume that counts for something.  Maybe he blocks well.  I dunno.

he's been playing for 3 years. lol.

the joke is, if its first down he will get you 2 yards- even if hes untouched, he still gets 2 yards. 

if you need 1 yard, he gets you nothing.

if you need 5 yards, he gets you 2. 

dude has ZERO pocket presence, hits the holes slowly, and always manages to go down when someone blows a light wind at him

1 hour ago, AUS-97HORN said:

he's been playing for 3 years. lol.

the joke is, if its first down he will get you 2 yards- even if hes untouched, he still gets 2 yards. 

if you need 1 yard, he gets you nothing.

if you need 5 yards, he gets you 2. 

dude has ZERO pocket presence, hits the holes slowly, and always manages to go down when someone blows a light wind at him

Porter scored a TD every time he carried the ball today, dude is awesome

54 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Sam bad of a running back as Porter is...he is MUCH worse as a WR.  Seeing him lined up outside the numbers makes my brain bleed.

I was screaming at my TV when he was split out wide. Wide open, and he looks like fucking Featherstone. Bottom line is this is the tightest team I'm ever seen.

17 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Last year against Maryland we went to 5 wide empty sets ... but instead of using 5 actual WRs, we used Garrett Gray in one of those positions and inexplicably targeted him repeatedly on some of the most important snaps of the game.

This year against Maryland we went to 5 wide empty sets ... but instead of using 5 actual WRs, we used Kyle Porter in one of those positions and inexplicably targeted him repeatedly on some of the most important snaps of the game.

In summary, our coaches are fucking idiots.

That's just Tom carrying on the GDGD tradition.

Edited by WBT

1 hour ago, WBT said:

That's just Tom carrying on the GDGD tradition.

Yup.  That passes for trickeration in the GDGD coaching tree.  Imagine the Terrapin surprise when we actually kept throwing it to our 4 string RB.  On the sideline.  For little to no gain.  When there were only two men rushing the passer.

21 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I was screaming at my TV when he was split out wide. Wide open, and he looks like fucking Featherstone. Bottom line is this is the tightest team I'm ever seen.

We lined him outside most of last season.  Glad it’s finally starting to sink in with more people how truly shitty this “system” is.

On 9/1/2018 at 8:57 PM, GhostofDanJones said:

Can't catch for shit, can't block (unless you count throwing yourself in front of an oncoming blitzer), can't hit the hole hard enough whenever he runs the ball. Guy should only be used for mop up duty. 

What exactly are we complaining about?

He carried the ball once in goalline for a TD. 

He caught three check down passes, two of which he made something out of nothing for 6 and 7 yard gains - including the 3rd-13 that set up the 4th down conversion on the final drive.

Tre Newton is the only RB I saw who failed a blitz pickup.

Herman is mensa and obviously knows way more about coaching than any of us.  Do any of you even know what coverages Maryland was running?  No?  They maybe shut your pie hole and let the real football coaches who know about coaching young men to do football get things fixed!

4 minutes ago, JBJ said:

What exactly are we complaining about?

He carried the ball once in goalline for a TD. 

He caught three check down passes, two of which he made something out of nothing for 6 and 7 yard gains - including the 3rd-13 that set up the 4th down conversion on the final drive.

Tre Newton is the only RB I saw who failed a blitz pickup.

Yeah Tre Newton sucked!

Maybe we should have let that RB transfer from Cali (Tre Watson I think?) catch those passes that went to Porter?

What am I talking about, the coaches know best, go Mensa!

Its amazing how badly that class of RB's has performed.  2016 top 10 RB on rovals

1.  BJ Emmons - Bama, transfer FAU

2.  Elijah Holyfield - UGA, barely plays

3.  Antonio Williams - Ohio St, transfer uNC

4.  Vavae Malepeia - USC, backup

5.  Devwah Waley - Arkansas - not good

6. Kareem Walker - Michigan - transfer JUCO

7.  Porter

8.  Rakeem Boyd - TAM, transfer JUCO, Arkansas

9.  Damarea Crocket - Mizzou, 1000 yard FR season, injured as So

10.  Abdul Adams, OU transfer to Cuse

8 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Cool stat: though not even listed on the depth chart for the game, Kyle Porter had the 2nd most snaps (17) of any RB against Maryland.  

Really chaps my ass. They get nervous and revert to the same bullshit rather than trusting the past 8 months of practice. Not that it would be hard to believe after his farce of a QB "competition."

On 9/1/2018 at 10:14 PM, taybo20 said:

We played 4 RBs when we should really only be playing 2.

IMO, Herman is making a similar mistake Charlie made. Charlie held on to Jonathan Gray and played him despite he was never the same after the torn Achilles. Herman is playing Porter for the same reasoning--experience/leadership. The kids will respect the RB's that do the work and get the yards.

3 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Scipio had a good point about if you kept him in the back field and used him as a blocker in a QB lead draw, with some sort of wrinkle as an RPO option, it makes sense.  but to use him as a 5th WR is just stupid.

It absolutely blew my mind that we didn't try a few QB lead draws when they were dropping so many into coverage and spying Sam with one.  

On 9/1/2018 at 9:20 PM, bschoolprof said:

Why did they abandon Ingram when he was doing so well?  They did this same shit last year.  Gameplanning, play design, play calling, personnel decisions . . . They're all bad.  

Don’t know if it’s been asked of Herman anywhere but I heard Ingram didn’t play again because he didn’t touch a lineman first after scoring. I watched a replay and it was Ehlinger, C.Johnson, Brewer then Shack. May just be rumor but he didn’t play much if at all after the touchdown. Anyone hear this or was Herman asked about it? Dumb if true.

IMO, Herman is making a similar mistake Charlie made. Charlie held on to Jonathan Gray and played him despite he was never the same after the torn Achilles. Herman is playing Porter for the same reasoning--experience/leadership. The kids will respect the RB's that do the work and get the yards.

Jonathan Gray played because he had to get the play call from the sideline, explain it to the qb and then direct the O to the proper formation for EVERY SNAP. This wasn’t some secret.