9.3.18 Coach Herman press conference (Noon)

bigup2dahorns

4 minutes ago, Limp Brisket said:

Hopefully that isn’t a glimpse of the culture in the football program.  If it is it’s troubling.

Yeah, while it probably isn't worth parsing too much, "losing doesn't make you a loser" is kind of happy-crappy, weak-minded shit for a competitive athlete/team.  It's ok for an 8th grader who just failed a geometry test. Contrast with "the world treats winners different from losers."

When asked about the 10 penalties for 100 plus yards he goes on a long soliloquy about how some of them were just aggressive penalties and therefore not really our fault, that Maryland had 9 of their own (they didn’t) and sometimes that’s just the way the game is called, and that none of them were brain dead false start type penalties (uh no), basically making all sorts of excuses for the 10 penalties.

How about just saying having10 penalties for 100 plus yards is unacceptable and we obviously need to work on that and correct that? 

His brief right before the game interview before his last UH game against Memphis when everyone knew he was going to UT and he was asked about it was a disaster, which led me to believe he wasn’t ready for this type of job. He couldn’t answer a simple question about his future and basically lied on air. All he had to say was I’m not gonna talk about me right now and my future as we’ve got a game to play, but he apparently couldn’t do that. Nothing since has led me to change my mind on that. 

Edited by JimmyJames

1 hour ago, Limp Brisket said:

Hopefully that isn’t a glimpse of the culture in the football program.  If it is it’s troubling.

Vahe said some shit similar after the game. I think it was something about "the loss doesn't matter.. its just one game" Imagine the 04-09 teams saying this after  loss. 

I worked a few Mack Brown press conferences.  They didn't pre-screen questions, but there were a limited number of questions allowed, a number that was lower than hands in the air, so the questions got rationed, uh... somehow.
My wife was working with Mack's daughter at the time, and one day after a PC, I went up and introduced myself, mentioned this to him and talked a bit.  I was selected to ask him a question at the next PC I went to.

Now my experience is from more than 20 years ago (Mackovic/early MBTF days) but there used to be two pressers — one for TV/radio and then one for the writers. Assume that’s still the same. The “in-depth” questions would be asked by the writers *after* broadcast got their soundbites. Most of those questions were softballs. I don’t know if they still do it that way.

Really don't care about pressers except for injury information but screwing up the Of Mice and Men reference is pretty comical.

Anyone who wasn't done with Herman after the Tech game last year was going to be set up for disappointment.  It was his version of Charlie's Texas Bowl debacle.

11 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

I know Chris Warren is on IR, but does anyone get the feeling that Johnson, like Warren, is saving himself for NFL, per Daddy?

Good point. Why does it look like a lot of the Horns are saving themselves for what the fuck ever.

Lots of players on other teams this weekend looked like they were playing their asses off.

11 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

How about just saying having10 penalties for 100 plus yards is unacceptable and we obviously need to work on that and correct that? 

Because he's smarter than everyone else. 

In case you haven't noticed, Tom is a very arrogant, pompous asshole. He doesn't need for you to understand or endorse what he's doing. In fact, you should be bowing down kissing Lord Tom's feet. His knowledge is vast and extensive and much more than your little mind or mine can comprehend. 

Colin is not saving himself. Our QB couldn't hit the broad side of a barn on Saturday. Our offense will continue to look like shit until this is solved. The OL did okay: They improved as the game went on. We had the semblance of a running game except in the first quarter. The OL pass protection was actually good. Our QB did not find open receivers and he couldn't hit them if he did. I am not a Sam hater and I would have to see game film to see if guys were open. However, from what I could tell from the game, Sam pretty much sucked passing the ball. And although he gained yards running the ball, he isn't what I would call explosive.

• Like 3

I think it's becoming obvious even to the unwashed that we have a massive QB problem. As other problems are solved (at least partially), what's left is the fact we can't get the ball to the right guys at the right times in the right places. Yeah, Earl Campbell or Ricky Williams would help, but they're not in game shape at the moment. We desperately need a QB who brings the total package of arm, legs and brain. While it shouldn't take all this to score points, at the moment the lack of it is really holding us back. If it doesn't improve stat, we're toast.

11 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

When asked about the 10 penalties for 100 plus yards he goes on a long soliloquy about how some of them were just aggressive penalties and therefore not really our fault, that Maryland had 9 of their own (they didn’t) and sometimes that’s just the way the game is called, and that none of them were brain dead false start type penalties (uh no), basically making all sorts of excuses for the 10 penalties.

More garbage. 

And how does Tom Terrific categorize a delay of game penalty on your very first offensive snap of the season?   Just wondering. 

Because he's smarter than everyone else. 
In case you haven't noticed, Tom is a very arrogant, pompous asshole. He doesn't need for you to understand or endorse what he's doing. In fact, you should be bowing down kissing Lord Tom's feet. His knowledge is vast and extensive and much more than your little mind or mine can comprehend. 

Yes he is pompous and arrogant. He also understands that if you throw out a bunch of bullshit, most people will accept it at face value. Just look at politics. Bullshit works....on a lot of people.

Since we are all pissing in the wind bitching, my complaints are:

Didn't thank the fans. I could understand at the post-game presser, but Monday he should've thanked and apologized to the fans that made the trip. 

"Momentum isn't real" Yes it fucking is Herman. You saying it doesn't show up in the statistics is fucking retarded, the whole point of momentum is that it's the voodoo and atmosphere of how the teams are playing and it isn't going to show up in the statistics. Every play happens in a vacuum all by itself? What? What is the hurry-up offense then? What is the back breaking turnover or missed field goal followed by an offensive big play? Momentum in college football is HUGE. It's almost to the point where like basketball when a coach calls a timeout to stop momentum, CFB coaches should do the same thing.

Call a deep pass on 1st down. Call a serious blitz on 2nd and 10. Call a fucking PUNT BLOCK OR FIELD GOAL BLOCK. Seriously, us and V Tech were top at blocking kicks back in the day. What the fuck happened?

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Colin is not saving himself. Our QB couldn't hit the broad side of a barn on Saturday. Our offense will continue to look like shit until this is solved. The OL did okay: They improved as the game went on. We had the semblance of a running game except in the first quarter. The OL pass protection was actually good. Our QB did not find open receivers and he couldn't hit them if he did. I am not a Sam hater and I would have to see game film to see if guys were open. However, from what I could tell from the game, Sam pretty much sucked passing the ball. And although he gained yards running the ball, he isn't what I would call explosive.

Get rid of the WR screens and start throwing SLANTS.

3 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Did the WR screen ever work Sat?

we got about a 7 or 8 yard gain on it to duvernay late in the game. but our WRs are absolute trash at blocking and will get worse as the season progresses. they'll have yet again another new coach working with them next year. yay.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I worked a few Mack Brown press conferences.  They didn't pre-screen questions, but there were a limited number of questions allowed, a number that was lower than hands in the air, so the questions got rationed, uh... somehow.

My wife was working with Mack's daughter at the time, and one day after a PC, I went up and introduced myself, mentioned this to him and talked a bit.  I was selected to ask him a question at the next PC I went to.

very-interesing_o_149988.jpg

30 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Did the WR screen ever work Sat?

Didn't see it working, saw it looking closer to getting blown up. I wasn't hawking the COVERAGE so I can't give you specifics, but if they are playing tight you go over the top, and if they are playing man you run a damn slant and let the receiver beat the guy. 

47 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

More garbage. 

And how does Tom Terrific categorize a delay of game penalty on your very first offensive snap of the season?   Just wondering. 

Wasn't that regarding the new uniform rule this season about knee pads needing to cover the knees? Is that really something you'd expect the head coach to be focusing on? That might even be beneath the responsibilities of a position coach. Maybe a grad assistant or equipment manager should be tasked with monitoring that. 

LSU got called twice for that on Sunday night. I don't think it's reasonable to blame that on a head coach. They've got much more pressing concerns than checking every player's knee pads on game day. 

• Like 1

How is that you all think you can tell who is calling the plays game to game, much less within a game?

Follow up: Why do you think it matters?

The staff comes up with the gameplan and develops a list of plays for different scenarios (down/distance, position on the field, etc).  Who picks which 3rd and long play to run from the list isn't going to make much difference.

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Wasn't that regarding the new uniform rule this season about knee pads needing to cover the knees? Is that really something you'd expect the head coach to be focusing on? That might even be beneath the responsibilities of a position coach. Maybe a grad assistant or equipment manager should be tasked with monitoring that. 

LSU got called twice for that on Sunday night. I don't think it's reasonable to blame that on a head coach. They've got much more pressing concerns than checking every player's knee pads on game day. 

If something that simple costs you yardage, right out of the chute, and the rule wasn't emphasized during camp and even during the prep on game day, then that's damn sure all on the head coach.  Ultimately the HC is responsible for many things, including attention to detail - if not directly, then making sure it's properly delegated out and his instructions are adhered to. 

If Herman can spend time focusing on sledgehammers, baseball bats, gold teeth and all that other tomfoolery he can surely make time to to address things that actually matter and can cost the team during the game. 

That penalty was just emblematic of an overall lack of preparation on Saturday.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wally Pryor said:

If something that simple costs you yardage, right out of the chute, and the rule wasn't emphasized during camp and even during the prep on game day, then that's damn sure all on the head coach.  Ultimately the HC is responsible for many things, including attention to detail - if not directly, then making sure it's properly delegated out and his instructions are adhered to. 

If Herman can spend time focusing on sledgehammers, baseball bats, gold teeth and all that other tomfoolery he can surely make time to to address things that actually matter and can cost the team during the game. 

That penalty was just emblematic of an overall lack of preparation on Saturday.  

You don't think the player deserves any blame?

26 minutes ago, WBT said:

How is that you all think you can tell who is calling the plays game to game, much less within a game?

Follow up: Why do you think it matters?

The staff comes up with the gameplan and develops a list of plays for different scenarios (down/distance, position on the field, etc).  Who picks which 3rd and long play to run from the list isn't going to make much difference.

Herman was getting high 5's on the sideline after the second touchdown in which we drove the entire length of the field in a hurry-up mode.

Why does it matter?  Momentum and play calling fluidity.  There is no continuity from play-to-play with Beck calling the shots.  If you think there is, take a look at the first few drives from Texas in the game and then look at the play calling in the second and third quarters.

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You don't think the player deserves any blame?

It depends upon whether they were reminded of (or even aware of the the rule to begin with).   Based upon what I saw on Saturday, I've no confidence that Herman or his staff were even aware of this rule change.   For all we know, and saw, Johnson may have been called for the penalty and the sideline / Herman were like "Oh shit, hey guys let's be alert of this.  Everyone check their pads."

If someone is being paid $5MM+ / year to coach a football team then I want a lot of attention to detail.  A lot.   Like I said, no expectation that the HC do and monitor this himself but any good leader, especially with the resources Herman has at his disposal, makes sure that this type small(er) stuff doesn't occur.  It just wreaks of a bigger problem and whether Herman is fit to lead a program of this size. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

So...Herb Hand trys out play calling this week?

seems Herman REALLY doesn’t want to have to take over completely. 

I binged watched football over the weekend and saw numerous head coaches calling plays from a card.  Justin Fuentes last night did it.  The guy that beat Herman Saturday did it.  I really don't get the reluctance.

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

It depends upon whether they were reminded of (or even aware of the the rule to begin with).   Based upon what I saw on Saturday, I've no confidence that Herman or his staff were even aware of this rule change.   For all we know, and saw, Johnson may have been called for the penalty and the sideline / Herman were like "Oh shit, hey guys let's be alert of this.  Everyone check their pads."

If someone is being paid $5MM+ / year to coach a football team then I want a lot of attention to detail.  A lot.   Like I said, no expectation that the HC do and monitor this himself but any good leader, especially with the resources Herman has at his disposal, makes sure that this type small(er) stuff doesn't occur.  It just wreaks of a bigger problem and whether Herman is fit to lead a program of this size. 

Likewise, for all we know the players were all told about the rule and one of them just made a mistake. It's not like it happened twice like it did for LSU.

24 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

The penalty on CJ was bad enough but then Eagles get thrown onto the field instead and proceeds to run the wrong route? Sam throws towards the sidelines as Eagles cut inside and is nowhere near the ball. It didn’t exactly inspire confidence at that point.

Awful way to start the game and that was after giving up 7. 

Apparently Of Mice and Men reference has some traction, heard it mentioned by local Dallas news radio this morning. Not sports talk radio, the news station. But then the host goes on to emphatically state that Texas ordered pizzas during the weather delay in the game. I still haven’t seen that confirmed anywhere.

7 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Apparently Of Mice and Men reference has some traction, heard it mentioned by local Dallas news radio this morning. Not sports talk radio, the news station. But then the host goes on to emphatically state that Texas ordered pizzas during the weather delay in the game. I still haven’t seen that confirmed anywhere.

Were these actually ordered due to the break or were they the end of games snack that was brought forward?