Cruz vs Beto

Washpark

1 minute ago, Jack Burton said:

Why there hasn't been a "Ted Cruz visited every county in Iowa, but not Texas" ad is mindnumbing. Especially after calling it a publicity stunt in the first debate

i have to assume they're coming.  a shit ton of money was spent on, well, something. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Why there hasn't been a "Ted Cruz visited every county in Iowa, but not Texas" ad is mindnumbing. Especially after calling it a publicity stunt in the first debate

I'd do it on a county-by-county basis:  "Ted Cruz has visited every county in Iowa, but he's never set foot here in Heimlich County" ads and billboards in Heimlich (if there were a Heimlich, and if Cruz had never visited).  Hit him at the local level, an make sure folks know that he doesn't give a fuck about them. 

I'd do it on a county-by-county basis:  "Ted Cruz has visited every county in Iowa, but he's never set foot here in Heimlich County" ads and billboards in Heimlich (if there were a Heimlich, and if Cruz had never visited).  Hit him at the local level, an make sure folks know that he doesn't give a fuck about them. 
That'll pick up all of 10 votes. It has to be TV and in the major markets. People in Houston probably don't care about Heimlich county but they get not showing up for work.

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Nobody accused wendy of building any kind of infrastructure, and in fact her campaign was probably worse than valdez's. 

The only thing I remember about her campaign was

I do recall later criticisms that her campaign consisted of primarily hanging out with "Ladies who Lunch" whilst sipping champagne and eating hors d'oeuvres.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Nobody accused wendy of building any kind of infrastructure, and in fact her campaign was probably worse than valdez's. 

A lot of the same posters jerking off about Beto were jerking off about Wendy.  That’s the point.  

I don’t think most Texans want to hand a vote to Chuck Schumer.  Which is what electing Robert O’Rourke does. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

A lot of the same posters jerking off about Beto were jerking off about Wendy.  That’s the point.  

I don’t think most Texans want to hand a vote to Chuck Schumer.  Which is what electing Robert O’Rourke does. 

Not in October they weren't. She ran an absentee campaign. 

The beauty of the race is that even if Cruz wins, the GOP loses, because they had to divert resources to keep him alive that would've otherwise gone to other battlegrounds.

Indeed. That is the entire strategic value of Beto. Beto got new money off the sidelines and it consumed committed national GOP money.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

😐😐😐😐😑

If/when Beto loses, he still hastens the demise of one party rule in the state.  That's on the way regardless, but he has weakened the door.  I think the bigger thing he's doing is less specific to Texas and already being copied in the prelims for 2020 - lots of direct and direct-ish/personal-ish (talking constant video and social media) engagement, building an army of small dollar donors and enthusiasm.  No PACs.  Beto's good not flawless, it's a great blueprint that probably a lot of politicians could execute to less or greater success.  I get what he's doing with his commercials but I wish he had MJ Hegar's ads.  Remains to be seen but I think he could have done a better job of not going *negative* but not waiting so long to draw a strong a direct contrast between him and Cruz.  Cruz may have done a better job promoting Beto than Beto did - that showing the fuck up commercial is my favorite one.  

At any rate, the current GOP will implode and who knows what will happen from there.  But Beto's fucking their resources in the midterms and could still win, and has run a four minute mile as far as fundraising goes - more will follow and it will give them a different kind of freedom.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

It is going to be so funny when it happens.

Not Beto, but someone.

Someone will eventually, without a doubt.

State gets more and more blue by the day with new “Texans”.   Fucked up your state with idiotic policies on immigration, taxes, and economy? Come to Texas!  Allowed drug cartels, corrupt politics, and poverty to fuck up your country? Come to Texas!

I believe this board is miscalculating how this is energizing the red that doesn’t typically vote, because they typically don’t have to.  Maybe it’s being insulated in Austin where Beto is killing it, I don’t know.  I’ve seen 3-4 bumper stickers and a half dozen signs (that weren’t part of a political “sign corner”)  Haven’t seen a shirt in the flesh.  Haven’t seen much for Cruz either, in way of signs and stickers anyhow. 

The state will turn blue, eventually. Maybe we’ll get moderate candidates out of the deal.  Maybe folks like me will just have to start voting when it wasn’t needed prior. There may even be more people who care about the 2nd and immigration than people suspect. Very interesting times. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

in the interest of fairness, I assume you'll refer to Sen. Cruz as "Rafael", right Swammy Sack?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Someone will eventually, without a doubt.

State gets more and more blue by the day with new “Texans”.   Fucked up your state with idiotic policies on immigration, taxes, and economy? Come to Texas!  Allowed drug cartels, corrupt politics, and poverty to fuck up your country? Come to Texas!

I believe this board is miscalculating how this is energizing the red that doesn’t typically vote, because they typically don’t have to.  Maybe it’s being insulated in Austin where Beto is killing it, I don’t know.  I’ve seen 3-4 bumper stickers and a half dozen signs (that weren’t part of a political “sign corner”)  Haven’t seen a shirt in the flesh.  Haven’t seen much for Cruz either, in way of signs and stickers anyhow. 

The state will turn blue, eventually. Maybe we’ll get moderate candidates out of the deal.  Maybe folks like me will just have to start voting when it wasn’t needed prior. There may even be more people who care about the 2nd and immigration than people suspect. Very interesting times. 

you could always seek asylum in some shittier state

2 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

you could always seek asylum in some shittier state

All states are shitty. Some are shittier than others. Squealer out front shoulda told ya.

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s not about the next Beto, it’s just turning Texas blue in general.  

The GOP has near zero chance of winning the presidency without Texas. 

It was literally the difference in the electoral college in 2016.

They're gonna build the wall straight across I-10 and insist Mexico takes that land and those people back.  Problem solved. 

7 hours ago, TexasMan said:

@ 0:45 wtf

The guy clearly gave zero fucks about being recorded.  A deserved ass whooping likely would have been a better deterrent.  

Edited by Tom