The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

10 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

oh man the next of either gonna be lit. they've had lots of time to marinate

Last one was December 2020.  Wedding.  Let’s say there were 150 people there.  Hardly anyone had been vaccinated yet, not that it would’ve mattered, because these chucklefucks are very happy to tell you how they feel about vaccines. There were maybe 10 masks in the whole place and half of the people who I actually knew were “under the weather” within a week.  Just a little upper respiratory bug, but definitely not Covid.  I stayed for the ceremony, had a drink outside, and left.  If you knew me you would know that it takes some pretty unusual circumstances for me to turn down an open bar.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Last one was December 2020.  Wedding.  Let’s say there were 150 people there.  Hardly anyone had been vaccinated yet, not that it would’ve mattered, because these chucklefucks are very happy to tell you how they feel about vaccines. There were maybe 10 masks in the whole place and half of the people who I actually knew were “under the weather” within a week.  Just a little upper respiratory bug, but definitely not Covid.  I stayed for the ceremony, had a drink outside, and left.  If you knew me you would know that it takes some pretty unusual circumstances for me to turn down an open bar.

yeah, and that was nearly 3 years ago. think of everything that has happened since. you might want take a valium or something before you go so you don't punch anyone. 🤣

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yeah, and that was nearly 3 years ago. think of everything that has happened since. you might want take a valium or something before you go so you don't punch anyone. 🤣

Nothing on the horizon.  That was the last wedding of my generation, and the oldest of the next generation are in high school.  I suppose my parents are probably next man up on the funeral front, but they are in pretty decent health despite being in their 70’s.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I just bought this today for use in every day life.  I am very bad at dealing with magats or even joe rogan morons (there's some crossover there of course).  Hoping it helps.

41+j6vfMvbL.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

This is hilarious.  Threatens to kick some ass, doesn't kick some ass.

After some back-and-forth, with chests puffed out, McCarthy issued a challenge to Swalwell: “Call me a pussy again, and I’ll kick your ass,” the Speaker allegedly said.

While both members told nearly identical versions of this story, they both delivered Swalwell’s response in exactly the same way.

“You. Are. A. Pussy,” Swalwell told McCarthy.

After both men stared each other down for another moment, McCarthy eventually relented.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ah, yes, yes. We're breeding our very own homegrown Hitler Youth. Awesome.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/young-conservatives-reflect-gops-move-away-from-economic-priorities-political-scientist-says-8de5034e

Spend a day with young conservatives, and you may find that they don’t have much to say about the U.S. economy. Their current priorities — social issues like abortion and transgender rights — could be a signal that the modern conservative movement is moving away from its traditional messaging focused on free markets and smaller government, at least one political scientist says.

Many of the young people attending the National Conservative Student Conference this week in Washington, D.C., said the health of the economy was not a burning issue for them. The event, hosted by Young America’s Foundation — an organization that calls itself an outreach organization of the conservative movement — features speakers like Newt Gingrich, a Georgia Republican who served as speaker of the House from 1995 to 1999.

Among older conservatives, you’d be more likely to hear support for things like “anti-tax, anti-IRS, anti-government regulation” policies, said Matthew Dallek, a professor of political management at George Washington University.

Although inflation is the most important issue to 77% of Republicans, according to a report from Pew Research, college students, in interviews with MarketWatch, instead mentioned education, abortion, identity politics, guns and “transgenderism” as the main issues facing the country.

This reflects “what the energy of the Republican Party is in the conservative movement,” Dallek said. “All these questions of identity and culture, and the sense that America is, as they see it, slipping away from them” is what animates the modern conservative movement, he said. “It’s not energized so much by tax cuts or deregulation.”

But when pressed, even the young people who claimed indifference to economic issues expressed frustration about the economy.

Breana Marsh, who is the director of membership at Young America’s Foundation and has a degree in finance, said that for her, the biggest issues are, “from the conservative perspective, the Second Amendment as well as transgender issues.”

When asked about the economy, Marsh said, “I don’t like the way that we’re going,” adding, “The policies being implemented across the United States just are not good.”

When asked about specific policies, she said, “Truthfully, I couldn’t name you any right now.”

William Wight, a student at Utah Valley University in Orem, Utah, said that mental health is the most important issue the country faces. But among economic issues, the high cost of living is particularly troubling to him. In an ideal world, he said, the solution should be up to businesses, but, if need be, the government should get involved because “the cost of living has to go down.”

He added: “My hope gets lower when I look at the economy.”

Other conference attendees who said they took a particular interest in economic issues also shared their views. Some said that the economy is in fact the most important issue, because Americans across the board are suffering.

“I vote for the money,” said Victoria Bringol, a student at the University of Oklahoma. She said that although the cost of living keeps rising, wages are not going up. She described friends who work full-time jobs to put themselves through college, saying they sacrificed their mental health and grades but that $13-per-hour wages still weren’t enough to make ends meet.

“We’re not asking for handouts, just wages that pay better,” she added.

Bringol said the most frustrating cost increase is that of college tuition. Other students sitting around her at a table echoed that sentiment, although they said that canceling student loans is a bad idea because, as one noted, “people should pay what they owe.”

Bringol agreed with someone who said that “paying thousands of dollars to attend a school where your voice as a conservative student isn’t valued is extremely frustrating.”

YAF’s Marsh also weighed in on this topic. “Students, when they’re feeling alone on campus, even though they’re not alone, and they feel ostracized and they feel like everyone is screaming at them that they’re crazy … they look to YAF,” which she described as an organization that “fights for [conservative] students’ rights on campus in a very tangible way.”

Dallek sees this feeling of being ostracized, rather about economic motivations, as a primary reason that many younger people join the conservative movement. The Republican Party “gives them a sense of identity and empowerment,” he said — a feeling that “they’re fighting this sort of dominant liberal culture.”

He continued: “My sense is that young conservatives see themselves as part of this almost minority on college campuses, for example, that they’re kind of the the ones who are being oppressed and being canceled.

“I think that’s probably a more pronounced feeling, at least amongst some young conservatives, than it is among older generations,” he said.

12 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

maybe. or maybe most assume someone else will do it. you know, like everything else in their lives.

Holy shit this. They all crow about muh civil war but they really just want to watch it on tv and post on FB about it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Dark dark times ahead. The violence is inevitable at this point 

33 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

maybe. or maybe most assume someone else will do it. you know, like everything else in their lives.

20 minutes ago, Ben Tobin said:

Holy shit this. They all crow about muh civil war but they really just want to watch it on tv and post on FB about it

They all talked a big game, but when the time came and Trump begged them to do something because The Deep State was stealing the election and kicking him out of the White House, only a few thousand of them were willing to do something in January 6th.

The hundreds of their brethren that found out on January 6 and are doing jail time, have lost jobs and businesses, have been cut off by families, are paying fines, now have felony records, have had their shit put on blast on the internet, it all seems to have taken the wind out of their sails.

Trump has been arraigned twice and none of these heroes were willing to do shit for him except grumble about Pence or RINOs or about the people that turned against Trump.  None of them are heading to Florida to form a human wall to protect Trump.

Its almost like they really liked how he made them feel, and that’s about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They all talked a big game, but when the time came and Trump begged them to do something because The Deep State was stealing the election and kicking him out of the White House, only a few thousand of them were willing to do something in January 6th.

The hundreds of their brethren that found out on January 6 and are doing jail time, have lost jobs and businesses, have been cut off by families, are paying fines, now have felony records, have had their shit put on blast on the internet, it all seems to have taken the wind out of their sails.

Trump has been arraigned twice and none of these heroes were willing to do shit for him except grumble about Pence or RINOs or about the people that turned against Trump.  None of them are heading to Florida to form a human wall to protect Trump.

Its almost like they really liked how he made them feel, and that’s about it.

it's not hardcore maga that we need to be worried about it, and they never really were who we should be worried about. it's those idealists who will glom onto anyone who furthers their agenda. the true fascists and anarchists don't give a shit who is in power if they help further their agenda - or at least hurt those 'others' that they want hurt. any coalition among those groups is something everyone sane should alarmed by. and trump definitely coalesced those groups. if he goes away, the threat those groups pose diminishes. if he gains power again, then yes, it will be war. 

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Oh shit...we've been found out

These idiots really ruin their entire argument when they try to claim NY or California was “rigged” against Trump 

yes, the Dem machine worked so hard to rig NY/CA and then forgot to rig FL and TX and NC 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

it's not hardcore maga that we need to be worried about it, and they never really were who we should be worried about. it's those idealists who will glom onto anyone who furthers their agenda. the true fascists and anarchists don't give a shit who is in power if they help further their agenda - or at least hurt those 'others' that they want hurt. any coalition among those groups is something everyone sane should alarmed by. and trump definitely coalesced those groups. if he goes away, the threat those groups pose diminishes. if he gains power again, then yes, it will be war. 

The groups you are talking about aren’t stepping up to “guard” him from the investigations, and he’s done nothing to try and win back the states he lost to Biden (and arguably he and/or his followers have made things worse for himself in those states), and in fact he will be extremely lucky to hold all of the states he won in 2020.  

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The groups you are talking about aren’t stepping up to “guard” him from the investigations, and he’s done nothing to try and win back the states he lost to Biden (and arguably he and/or his followers have made things worse for himself in those states), and in fact he will be extremely lucky to hold all of the states he won in 2020.  

I'm almost of the opinion that @Brisketexan is right on this, if a period of violence is come, then let it come in one single wave and be put down once and for all.  Sort of like an exterminator turning the lights on and blasting all the bugs at once.  If this can flush the bulk of them out and they do have a violent outbreak, let it be just once and let it be met with force in kind.  If we get a few more Babbit's so be it.  I just hope no one innocent is hurt in that sort of thing.   If the right wing nutters get hurt of their own accord (and violent discord being put down will be of their own accord), I won't shed a single tear.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

These idiots really ruin their entire argument when they try to claim NY or California was “rigged” against Trump 

yes, the Dem machine worked so hard to rig NY/CA and then forgot to rig FL and TX and NC 

Hey now, I voted for Biden 17x in NY and throughout Northeast. 

6 hours ago, BamaATL said:

I'm almost of the opinion that @Brisketexan is right on this, if a period of violence is come, then let it come in one single wave and be put down once and for all.  Sort of like an exterminator turning the lights on and blasting all the bugs at once.  If this can flush the bulk of them out and they do have a violent outbreak, let it be just once and let it be met with force in kind.  If we get a few more Babbit's so be it.  I just hope no one innocent is hurt in that sort of thing.   If the right wing nutters get hurt of their own accord (and violent discord being put down will be of their own accord), I won't shed a single tear.  

We had a period of violence.  January 6th.  Trump begged them to help keep him in office in some way. Many/most of those who fucked around on Trump's behalf on January 6th suffered a great deal. I know there's a small number of violent whackos, but the majority of MAGA does not want anything to do with something that could put them in jail, cost them their jobs or businesses or family ties/relationships, give them a felony record. In that regard, they are as loyal to Donald Trump the man, as he is to them and those who rioted on Jan. 6th. They love how he makes them feel, but they aren't willing to give up their real estate jobs just yet for him.

And while a whole helluva lot of the MAGA idiots are dumbasses, most of them are cognizant of the fact that Trump has never stepped up and paid the legal fees of those who were arrested, jailed, etc. I've even reminded the MAGA types in my family, and others that I know, that Trump did nothing for the January 6 folks.

Now if Trump had tried to pardon these people during his remaining two weeks in office, or had been personally welcoming and thanking these people upon their release from prison, had been tossing them $5,000 or $10,000 for legal fees and inconveniences (something that a guy who took in hundreds of millions after the 2020 election was over could have done), had been bringing the ones who were jailed to his rallies and parading them around on stage and asking the crowds to help them out, find them a job, etc. I think it might be a different story.

But Trump fucked up and didn't even try and pardon these people, and he tossed those people to the side. And let's not kid ourselves, more than a few MAGA probably shiver at the thought of possibly sharing a jail cell with a minority. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Jan 6 was the practice run. The next time, they’ll be better prepared. With a battle plan 

@Brisketexan

Some of the cops will shoot next time.  Some won’t.  Some cops will shoot the cops that are shooting.  It’s a big grab bag of who the fuck knows, but there will be more lead in the air if something remotely similar ever happens again.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

You probably weren't inviting actual responses, but I think about this question all the time.  Forgive me for taking a stab at an answer:

1. Right-wing media has the format and the appearance of news.  But instead of news, it relentlessly broadcasts conspiracy theories, and then lines up well-groomed anchors and fake authorities to repeat well-choreographed talking points that are always cynical ("all government is bad"), paranoid ("the left is trying to destroy your white, Christian culture"), aggrieved ("your vote was stolen"), and deeply hostile to experts ("Arrest Fauci!").  

Almost every item they broadcast validates and reinforces their viewers's beliefs along one of those axes:  government should be destroyed, liberals are evil, deep-state experts are wrong, and you (viewers) have been violated.

2.  Conspiracy theories are infinitely more seductive and persuasive than nuanced policy discussions.

3.  Experts on civil war (Barbara Walter's book is great) tell us that widespread political violence is most likely in countries that have tainted democracies (she doesn't use that language... she calls them anocracies), and is also far more likely when there is a demographic shift where one ethnic group knows that it is losing its ruling power.  

4. It's pretty easy to fool people.  It's nearly impossible to convince people that they have been fooled.  How many moments have we had - including January 6 - where a lot of us naively thought, "**THIS** will be the thing that finally makes the Republican Party repudiate this fascist clown?"  But there's never going to be a reckoning as long as 1. and 2. continue to exist.  --  and especially if 1 and 2 exist in a country with the characteristics described in 3.

While of that is true, I offer a simpler explanation, and it's nothing new.  The vast majority of people are dumb, and we live in a world where a mob mindset often gets it's way.  When they perceive themselves as the majority and they don't get their way, crazy prevails.  Ultimately, most people are just dumb and lack critical thinking skills.  

Next time your out in your community take a look around, count the number of truck nuts you see, or people you know are living wildly beyond their means.  Take note of people with political clothing on and ask yourself if they could pass a basic civics test (they can't)? 

By the way, dumb doesn't necessarily = bad.  Most people have good intentions, even with the human nature of selfishness in play.  Dumb people are just easily lead around by the nose, and as you said, once they are convinced they are right, the generally only seek out information that only reinforces their world view.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1