Haha, holy shit. This just about says it all:
https://finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/twitter-won-t-autoban-neo-193850606.html

Twitter won’t autoban neo-Nazis because the filters may ban GOP politicians
Nina Corcoran
Nina Corcoran
Consequence of SoundApril 26, 2019, 7:38 PM UTC

Twitter won’t autoban neo-Nazis because the filters may ban GOP politicians

Twitter co-founder and CEO Jack Dorsey

Is booting neo-Nazis from Twitter a simple process? Probably not. Can steps be taken at the very least to punish racist tweets? Probably, but not everyone will be happy with whose hate speech gets scrubbed as a result.

With a user base of 321 million monthly tweeters — a few millions less than the total US population — the micro-blogging site could help minimize the rapid spread of digital hate speech in the country if they helped silence racist and xenophobic tweets. Turns out one Twitter employee couldn’t help but wonder why they don’t take action.

During an all-hands staff meeting on March 22nd, an employee asked why the company refrains from using its AI to kick white nationalists off the site. After all, Twitter had previously ushered a sweep of bans on accounts pushing Islamic State propaganda. The answer was unsurprising for anyone who’s ever perused Twitter: Content filters created to identify hate speech could potentially result in Republican politicians being banned, an executive explained.

Motherboard broke down the executive’s explanation of the algorithm process:

With every sort of content filter, there is a tradeoff, [the executive] explained. When a platform aggressively enforces against ISIS content, for instance, it can also flag innocent accounts as well, such as Arabic language broadcasters. Society, in general, accepts the benefit of banning ISIS for inconveniencing some others, he said.

In separate discussions verified by Motherboard, that employee said Twitter hasn’t taken the same aggressive approach to white supremacist content because the collateral accounts that are impacted can, in some instances, be Republican politicians.

The employee argued that, on a technical level, content from Republican politicians could get swept up by algorithms aggressively removing white supremacist material. Banning politicians wouldn’t be accepted by society as a trade-off for flagging all of the white supremacist propaganda, he argued.

So who, exactly, could potentially be banned if filters like these were created? For starters, there is Rep. Steve King of Iowa who has, for the third time, quote-tweeted white supremacist propaganda by an open white nationalist. Then there are others who get the job done themselves: Republican candidate Paul Nehlen got himself banned all on his own after posting a racist tweet about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.

Twitter told Motherboard that this statement from the employee “is not [an] accurate characterization of our policies or enforcement — on any level.” Meanwhile, Facebook has begun explicitly banning white nationalism and white separatism.

This news, of course, arrives just days after Donald Trump met with Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey to complain about losing followers. Originally, the meeting was set up to discuss ways to “protect the health of the public conversation ahead of the 2020 U.S. elections and efforts underway to respond to the opioid crisis.” Instead, it quickly turned into a personal FAQ opportunity to ask why his follower count had dipped. According to two people close to Trump, he also “repeatedly griped to associates about how his predecessor, President Obama, has had more Twitter followers than he has, even though — by Trump’s own assessment — he is so much better at Twitter than Obama is.”

I expect her to apologize for it many many times on the campaign trail.

"I'm very sorry I wore black face in college.  Yes, it was an unfortunate decision I made so many years ago, when I decided to wear black face in college.  I reflect every day on how I wore black face in college and really lament the decision I made.  I just think that when I wore black face in college that I must have been out of my mind, because it just seems insane now that I wore black face in college and I hope we can all just move beyond that now."

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

eh, i'm not going to get too spun up about what an old white lady did at her sorority at auburn in alafuckingbama 50+ years ago. i would be more surprised if she didn't have some racial issues in alafuckingbama during the civil rights era

Yeah....some of this.  Kind of like how I remember back in the early 90s, folks tried to make a big deal out of people running for office who had smoked weed at college in the 60s.  Shit, I'd have had problems with someone who DIDN'T smoke weed at college in the 60s.

Just like I'd be shocked if someone who went to college in Alabama 50 years ago DIDN'T do or say something racist back then.  

Times change, and people do too.  We have to make SOME allowance for that.

This video has been getting some traction in the news on the East Coast. The Rockland County GOP had it on their Facebook page but removed it after it drew attention. I don't Facebook, but someone had put it on the web:

More of that ominous music the GOP of which the GOP is fond. Wonder when they will break out the Wagner...

16 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This video has been getting some traction in the news on the East Coast. The Rockland County GOP had it on their Facebook page but removed it after it drew attention. I don't Facebook, but someone had put it on the web:

More of that ominous music the GOP of which the GOP is fond. Wonder when they will break out the Wagner...

But why oh why don't those disloyal Americans Jews support the Republican party?   Their true King, Trump, loves Israel (the country where they really belong!) and Republicans would be happy to help the Jews move back there to hasten the second coming of Christ (who is also Trump)!

20 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

A stürm is rising

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/29/2019 at 2:53 PM, hayden_horn said:

eh, i'm not going to get too spun up about what an old white lady did at her sorority at auburn in alafuckingbama 50+ years ago. i would be more surprised if she didn't have some racial issues in alafuckingbama during the civil rights era

you're just a moral relativist!

14 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Oops!

What is missing from this story is the press release from the Republican Senator from Louisiana (Bill Cassidy, M.D.) which states:

Louisiana will receive $6,887,155 in grants from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to combat the opioid epidemic.

The GOP campaign slogan:

Money makes the world go 'round
The clinking, clanking sound of...
Money money money money
Money money money money...
Get a little, get a little
Money money money money...
Mark, a yen, a buck or a pound,
That clinking, clanking, clunking sound,
Is all that makes the world go 'round,
It makes the world go 'round!

Brian Kemp is trying so hard to disenfranchise his electorate, by the time he is finished, only 5 people will be allowed to vote.

Lowlight #1

Raffensperger’s office is also exercising the power of the subpoena. Secretary of state lawyers used a federal lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of Georgia’s election system to issue subpoenas for extensive financial and communication records from a number of left-leaning civil rights groups and churches – when none of those organizations are party to the case.

Lowlight #2:

The most extreme example of an investigation on false pretenses came on 4 November 2018, two days before the midterm election. The secretary of state’s office knowingly falsely accused the Democratic party of Georgia of attempting to hack the election. The initial round of media coverage reflected the accusation, before the facts were available that the accusation was fabricated.

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The most extreme example of an investigation on false pretenses came on 4 November 2018, two days before the midterm election. The secretary of state’s office knowingly falsely accused the Democratic party of Georgia of attempting to hack the election. The initial round of media coverage reflected the accusation, before the facts were available that the accusation was fabricated.

Every.  Accusation.  Is.  A.  Confession.

Republicans’ collapse in the Texas suburbs — which is a major factor in making the state competitive — will only accelerate with its defiant attitude on any gun-safety measure. (Of suburban voters in the recent Quinnipiac national poll, I recently noted, “Among those voters, 96 percent favor background checks, 62 percent favor an assault weapons ban, 82 percent favor red flag laws, and 85 percent support gun licensing.”) Republicans’ intransigence in the face of the state’s second mass shooting in less than a month will only make matters worse for a party struggling to avoid alienating a key component of winning Republican coalitions in the past.

---

On the Republican side, however, the differences are stark — and help explain why so many Republican politicians have shifted their positions since the separations became widely known. While 56 percent of Republican men favor splitting parents and children at illegal entry points on the border and 30 percent oppose it, a plurality of Republican women are against the practice: 37 percent favor it and 42 percent oppose it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/09/02/texas-republicans-just-dont-get-it/

J. Rubin is not going to shut it. Back when she was defending Mitt's 47% I didn't know that she'd be so ready  to forego her place in the GOP in an effort to get them to wake up.

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Like 1

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult