The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

My point was not that she rode his coattails but that she is nowhere near as good a campaigner and will lose the Senate race by significantly worse than he did. 
That is unless the presidential ticket has long coattails she can ride.

She may lose the race by more than he did because campaigns are discrete events, but styles make fights and she’s a better challenger for Cornyn if she can catch on.

14 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

lol Those two are probably reporters.

I don't know whether to think this is good or bad.

I'd rather see a room full of pissed off Iowans, throwing at him take-out from any of the district's ethnic restaurants, or rotting ears of corn that they are unable to sell.

1 hour ago, berlinerbaer said:

I don't know whether to think this is good or bad.

I'd rather see a room full of pissed off Iowans, throwing at him take-out from any of the district's ethnic restaurants, or rotting ears of corn that they are unable to sell.

I don't know how many ethnic restaurants there are in Grundy Center. There is a decent Tex-Mex joint in Iowa City right near the highway. Or at least there was in 2011. 

I don't know whether to think this is good or bad. I'd rather see a room full of pissed off Iowans, throwing at him take-out from any of the district's ethnic restaurants, or rotting ears of corn that they are unable to sell.

It’s fantastic.

Assholes like Steve King and Trump thrive off attention.

Especially negative emotional attention. It gives guys like that boners to see their opponents scream and holler and cry.

Lib tears anyone?

He’d spin a bunch of angry citizens invading his peaceful town hall, as a bunch of bussed in, hired Soros fakes trying to stifle his free speech, and make himself a victim.

Indifference is our greatest weapon against the likes of Steve King.

That gives him nothing to rail about, nothing to foment anger and outrage, and nothing to crusade on.

Leave them standing there in an empty VFW hall or YMCA with their tiny dick flapping in the vacant silence.

That gets under a pathological racist narcissist’s thin skin more than a room full of angry citizens.

Renders him impotent.

• Like 3

It’s fantastic.

Assholes like Steve King and Trump thrive off attention.

Especially negative emotional attention. It gives guys like that boners to see their opponents scream and holler and cry.

Lib tears anyone?

He’d spin a bunch of angry citizens invading his peaceful town hall, as a bunch of bussed in, hired Soros fakes trying to stifle his free speech, and make himself a victim.

Indifference is our greatest weapon against the likes of Steve King.

That gives him nothing to rail about, nothing to foment anger and outrage, and nothing to crusade on.

Leave them standing there in an empty VFW hall or YMCA with their tiny dick flapping in the vacant silence.

That gets under a pathological racist narcissist’s thin skin more than a room full of angry citizens.

Renders him impotent.

She’s right.
Which is why I really like the strategy of meeting marching Nazis with mocking tuba music, or maybe even yackety sax.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

She is such a Libcuck

That’s exactly how the GOP base views these recent Republican leaders.  Reaganists, neocons, compassionate conservatives, etc. all think they still matter and that Trump is a passing fad.  They’re wrong.  2016 was the final wave of a sea change in their party.  The majority of GOP voters view the establishment with utter disdain.  They will never regain power, unless they adopt the hatred, recklessness, and stupidity of Trumpism.  But these dumb, arrogant fuckers keep voting GOP because they are living in the past and think anyone in “their” party actually gives a shit about what they say.  Idiots.

12 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

That’s exactly how the GOP base views these recent Republican leaders.  Reaganists, neocons, compassionate conservatives, etc. all think they still matter and that Trump is a passing fad.  They’re wrong.  2016 was the final wave of a sea change in their party.  The majority of GOP voters view the establishment with utter disdain.  They will never regain power, unless they adopt the hatred, recklessness, and stupidity of Trumpism.  But these dumb, arrogant fuckers keep voting GOP because they are living in the past and think anyone in “their” party actually gives a shit about what they say.  Idiots.

This.  Short version: there is no longer a GOP.  Just a party of Trumpism.  Either be Trumpist, or be gone.  There is no third option.

Yep but I don’t feel sorry for those “kinder gentler” Republicans.

They courted the monster. They thought they could rile up the tubes and use them as a reliable voting bloc by just paying them lip service and keeping them in the guest room when polite company came over.

Well bitches, the monsters figured out how to get out of your cage and now they’ve taken over.

You cultivated them. You have them a voice. And now you want Democrats to save you at the ballot box so you can go back to normal nice “We’re not monsters, we’re just duplicitous dicks” Republicans???

Nah. Fuck off. Y’all put water on Mowgli after midnight - y’all need to figure out how to kill Spike.
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  Short version: there is no longer a GOP.  Just a party of Trumpism.  Either be Trumpist, or be gone.  There is no third option.

Watched the Ken Burns doc on prohibition on my work travels yesterday. It's kind of striking how similar the Trumpkins are to the "Drys" of the later prohibition era. By the late 20's most of the country had realized the 18th amendment was a failure, but the "drys"...mostly rural conservative Republicans...refused any compromise that would have kept 75% of what they wanted, but made the Volstead act more palatable to the urban parts of the country, and used their outsized representation in the senate to prop up a widely unpopular law.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Sheeeit, I'd wager a good portion of us on this board were Rockefeller Republicans at one point in time. That type of Republican was annhilated and salted over.... 

22 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

They courted the monster. They thought they could rile up the tubes and use them as a reliable voting bloc by just paying them lip service and keeping them in the guest room when polite company came over.

Well bitches, the monsters figured out how to get out of your cage and now they’ve taken over.

You cultivated them. You have them a voice. And now you want Democrats to save you at the ballot box so you can go back to normal nice “We’re not monsters, we’re just duplicitous dicks” Republicans???

Nah. Fuck off. Y’all put water on Mowgli after midnight - y’all need to figure out how to kill Spike.

damn, so close. Mogwai is the word you're looking for. We would have also accepted Gizmo. 

otherwise great analogy

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

That’s only half of the point.  The other part is there’s a large segment of old-time GOPers who haven’t figured it out yet.  They should abandon the party, but they haven’t.  They’re still voting Republican under delusions that they’re still in control (or at least part of the gang).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

which is why the use of the reference to "Trump's base" needs to be eliminated from the conversation.  "the base" is "Republicans."  they are one and the same.  there is no such thing as a "non-Trump Republican." 

• Like 1

I was talking last week to a guy whose parents are foxnews-watching Trump voters.  He can't convince them to stop supporting Trump.  I asked what they say about policies like child separations, which is the one thing I can't understand how anyone can justify.   He said that they don't like it, but they blame Democrats for creating the border situation that led to it, and there's nothing he can say to shake them of that belief. 

57 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

My parents are in the same boat. They are red team cheerleaders to the deathbed and if you asked them why, they would just parrot what they heard on Fox News that day. If al-Baghdadi  won the republican primary on a campaign to bring ISIS to every town in America, they would go out and buy Make ISIS Great Again hats. They also have trouble logging into their iPhones and cannot be trusted to remember wifi passwords. They are, however, experts at sharing memes on Facebook. I suspect they are the largest category of the current GOP. Aging white adults who shut down critical thought years ago and now allow themselves to be programed by the propaganda coming from the party they swore allegiance to when Reagan sold them on the laffer curve. 

You just described my in-laws.   But wanted to bold that passage, because it just illustrates how incredibly easy it is for anyone to amplify propaganda today.  It's just too easy.

Facebook needs eradicated.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Sheeeit, I'd wager a good portion of us on this board were Rockefeller Republicans at one point in time. That type of Republican was annhilated and salted over.... 

And reborn as Pete Buttigieg.

In a better timeline Pete is reflective of the Republican Party.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Except for that whole being gay thing. At least publicly. 

In the better timeline it wouldn't matter because Evangelicals would have been raptured leaving the Episcopalians to be the moral leaders of the GOP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

I was talking last week to a guy whose parents are foxnews-watching Trump voters.  He can't convince them to stop supporting Trump.  I asked what they say about policies like child separations, which is the one thing I can't understand how anyone can justify.   He said that they don't like it, but they blame Democrats for creating the border situation that led to it, and there's nothing he can say to shake them of that belief. 

I just have to say I am so proud of my dad, who died earlier this year, for not succumbing to that crap.  He became a schoolteacher and drove the bus in south Texas during integration, voted across party lines and sometimes libertarian during Ron Paul’s younger years, and kept an open, critical mind.  After living through these last few years of political hell, that is a fantastic thing for me to remember about him.  If he had a tombstone, I’d put “never watched Fox News” on it.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 7

46 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I just have to say I am so proud of my dad, who died earlier this year, for not succumbing to that crap.  He became a schoolteacher and drove the bus in south Texas during integration, voted across party lines and sometimes libertarian during Ron Paul’s younger years, and kept an open, critical mind.  After living through these last few years of political hell, that is a fantastic thing for me to remember about him.  If he had a tombstone, I’d put “never watched Fox News” on it.

My dad -- pretty much a lifelong Republican -- held out for as long as he could.  I don't know if he voted for Trump, I don't have the heart to ask.  I know my mom didn't.  But after the election, my dad tried to hold on.  Gently, but he tried.  His stock accounts, all that.  But day after day, his support/tolerance weakened.  And then, I don't know what day it was....but he turned.  He loathes the man now. 

As a child of the border, he sure as shit didn't take kindly to seeing the hateful rhetoric come home to roost in a town like the one he grew up in, with 22 dead bodies that looked like his family and friends.  I think he'd turned on Trump before then....but there was no ambiguity at all after that.

Kinda proud of the fact that a stubborn 80+ yr old man evolved in his thinking, based on actual evidence and facts.  Real proud, actually.  Of course....he doesn't watch Fox News.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Lagunamadre said:

Aging white adults who shut down critical thought years ago and now allow themselves to be programed by the propaganda coming from the party they swore allegiance to when Reagan sold them on the laffer curve. 

It's sad yet stunning how many people like this I meet, and yes they're almost always white too. College graduates who graduated from good schools and yet just cannot believe anything that goes contrary to FNC.

Edited by GSU&UT

9 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Marry me....

Watched the Ken Burns doc on prohibition on my work travels yesterday. It's kind of striking how similar the Trumpkins are to the "Drys" of the later prohibition era. By the late 20's most of the country had realized the 18th amendment was a failure, but the "drys"...mostly rural conservative Republicans...refused any compromise that would have kept 75% of what they wanted, but made the Volstead act more palatable to the urban parts of the country, and used their outsized representation in the senate to prop up a widely unpopular law.   

This is a great analogy

1 minute ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Sounds like admissions are going to  start getting easier. 

That’s probably because 59% of Republicans now make a living by selling rapture-proof boner pills on the CBN.  Fancy college book learnin’ ain’t good for business.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

And reborn as Pete Buttigieg.
In a better timeline Pete is reflective of the Republican Party.

I say this all the time: I’m a liberal, not a progressive. I believe in Free trade, free markets and free minds, with a safety net for those at the bottom and good guardrails in place to protect capital and mutual trust. I like low taxes, balanced or surplus budgets in harvest season and savings accounts in banks, and I think that equal representation of groups should be the result of a level playing field for individuals persons, not a policy goal that deprives individuals of opportunity and dignity. If there was still a place in the GOP for people like me I’d be a Republican.

But there isn’t. So I vote Democrat, because at least those views get a hearing among a diversity of others, and often carries the argument.
  • Like 9

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult