The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult

Hugo Stiglitz

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So at what point do the Republicans figure out that they have a better chance in 2020 with Mike Pence at the top of the ticket?

Problem is that Trump might use the idea of taking Pence down with him (his comment about looking at Pence's transcripts) and the threat of President Pelosi to keep Congressional Republicans in line.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So at what point do the Republicans figure out that they have a better chance in 2020 with Mike Pence at the top of the ticket?

But they don't.

When you finally realize and accept that today's GOP is not a political party, but rather a cult, you'll understand why your question is absurd.

Cults are built around a personality.  Not beliefs or ideals, but a personality.  The beliefs and ideals of that personality FOLLOW, and then become the ideals of the cult, but the cult is nothing without the personality to lead it.

"Trumpism" cannot be led by Pence.  And "Trumpism" is the only remaining belief of the GOP.  They're stuck.  They can stick with Trump.  They MIGHT be able to stick with a hereditary line, so Don Jr.  But that's it.

I'm dead serious.  If you want to understand the dynamic of the GOP leadership class, look to North Korea.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

But they don't.

When you finally realize and accept that today's GOP is not a political party, but rather a cult, you'll understand why your question is absurd.

Cults are built around a personality.  Not beliefs or ideals, but a personality.  The beliefs and ideals of that personality FOLLOW, and then become the ideals of the cult, but the cult is nothing without the personality to lead it.

"Trumpism" cannot be led by Pence.  And "Trumpism" is the only remaining belief of the GOP.  They're stuck.  They can stick with Trump.  They MIGHT be able to stick with a hereditary line, so Don Jr.  But that's it.

I'm dead serious.  If you want to understand the dynamic of the GOP leadership class, look to North Korea.

I agree.  And the problem they have is that the cult cannot attain a governing majority.  And I think that's a problem that most Republican officeholders now recognize.

Which leads to my point that they are better off with Pence as a crowbar to pull them away from the Trumpite cult of personality.  It's the only way for them to hold the seats they currently hold (much less gain new ones).

10 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I agree.  And the problem they have is that the cult cannot attain a governing majority.  And I think that's a problem that most Republican officeholders now recognize.

Which leads to my point that they are better off with Pence as a crowbar to pull them away from the Trumpite cult of personality.  It's the only way for them to hold the seats they currently hold (much less gain new ones).

Nope.  The play is more disinformation, more active cooperation with foreign regimes to interfere with our elections, and massive voter disenfranchisement efforts.  Oh, and energizing a fanatic, cultist base that will turn out to vote at an incredibly high rate.

And it will work.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Cowards.

Trump shooting a man in the face -- inappropriate.

Trump raping that Republican Senator's mother in the middle of the table at Thanksgiving dinner -- inappropriate.

Trump launching nuclear weapons against all American states that he didn't win in 2016 - inappropriate.

Trump unleashing our entire chemical, biological, and nuclear arsenal on the rest of the world - inappropriate.

Democrats suggesting that maybe some of that is illegal -- HOAX!  WITCH HUNT!

Yep.  I think I've got these Republican Senator types figured out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hurd's district is certainly purple. I don't think that Texas as a whole is. The Texas Legislature the last 15 years or so is certainly moving Texas to become purple.

Texas local races - the house is 9 seats from flipping. 12 flipped last election. 2 senate seats flip and Dan Patrick needs democrat approval to bring a bill to the floor. That’s right now and with almost no national money in the state driving top of the ticket coattails. Imagine a Texas legislature where the only bills getting passed come from a democrat led house and the senate is on defense with no right winged nonsense being debated on the floor. That’s attainable this cycle. That’s the definition of purple imo.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, troph said:

Texas local races - the house is 9 seats from flipping. 12 flipped last election. 2 senate seats flip and Dan Patrick needs democrat approval to bring a bill to the floor. That’s right now and with almost no national money in the state driving top of the ticket coattails. Imagine a Texas legislature where the only bills getting passed come from a democrat led house and the senate is on defense with no right winged nonsense being debated on the floor. That’s attainable this cycle. That’s the definition of purple imo.

Remember when the TDP Todd Orlandoed a 75% minority district in 2018?  Which means the current makeup would be 18-13 instead of 19-12? 

I do.  And I have no hope they will deliver a House majority and cut off Patrick's supermajority. 

18 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Trump will destroy Pence because reasons.

If he can't be King, no one else (at least on Team R) will be either.

I think Trump will try that.

But here's what I think Brisket and others are discounting, and what Republican officeholders are going to come to figure out--Republican voters are absolute fucking sheep.  They do what they're told.

Fox News knows that.  That's Fox's entire model.  And very often, Fox is the issuer of the marching orders.

If you're a Republican senator, you don't give a fuck what Trump says.  You care about what Fox says.  And if Fox switches course and decides that Trump has to go for the good of the Party, then Trump's going to go.  They'll turn up the propaganda that he's been corrupt and abused the faith that the great American people placed in him, and that Mike Pence is the true keeper of the faith.  And it'll be over.

Trump thinks he leads his army of fools.  He doesn't.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Speaking of Hurd, I think he’ll take the GOP nomination for POTUS in 2024

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

you sure? He's a bit too high on the melanin count for GOP to consider him for leadership I'd think

Yeah.....the GOP has been stomping on the gas towards MORE racist, not less.  And when you layer in the fact that Hurd is something of a sane moderate (relatively), what's his appeal to the base?

These are people who get boners every time they hear "WALL!"  They ain't voting for Hurd.

16 minutes ago, Captainant said:

you sure? He's a bit too high on the melanin count for GOP to consider him for leadership I'd think

A former House member who quit and won't have been relevant for 4 years unless he runs for something statewide in 2022 in Texas...

Yeah, total front runner right there 🙄.  Especially when you have Tom Cotton and Josh Hawley sitting in the Senate ready to roll.  And Ted Cruz again.  And Governors like Ducey, Desantis, Kemp....

Edited by Js1

I think Ted Cruz has hit his ceiling, as far as elected offices.   His best bet is to not run (and therefore be dragged through the mud again and/or risking pissing off whoever gets the nomination) and angle for an appointment (Attorney General, etc.).

Then again, he's tone-deaf and with a heckuva an ego, so he might convince himself that he can still win one.

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

I think Ted Cruz has hit his ceiling, as far as elected offices.   His best bet is to not run (and therefore be dragged through the mud again and/or risking pissing off whoever gets the nomination) and angle for an appointment (Attorney General, etc.).

Then again, he's tone-deaf and with a heckuva an ego, so he might convince himself that he can still win one.

By the law of Republican party primaries (except for 2016), he was the runner-up and therefore will believe he is the chosen on for 2024. 

4 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

He doesn't inspire, which is why he won't be the nominee.  I think the R party is fine with evaluating a black guy fairly -- even intentionally promoting one -- so long as he is within their narrow definition of the acceptable version.  Hurd fits into that.

I used to think that.  But the GOP has tipped too far.  The only kind of black person who is both acceptable and inspiring to the base is some sycophant like Candace Owens.  And while she ranks off the charts on willingness to say things that make Republicans feel better and justified about their racism....she's not quick on her feet or inspiring otherwise.  You'd need a blend of sellout AND quick/intelligent.  You ain't gonna find that cocktail served ANYWHERE.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I used to think that.  But the GOP has tipped too far.  The only kind of black person who is both acceptable and inspiring to the base is some sycophant like Candace Owens.  And while she ranks off the charts on willingness to say things that make Republicans feel better and justified about their racism....she's not quick on her feet or inspiring otherwise.  You'd need a blend of sellout AND quick/intelligent.  You ain't gonna find that cocktail served ANYWHERE.

fuZ_Z1fz_400x400.jpg

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Intelligent?  From the party of trump?  The only requirement is that the person by a sycophant to Moscow Mitch and the GOP money supply (NRA?  Putin?).

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Not that I would ever endorse Cruz for this endeavor I am about to propose. We should start a grass roots campaign working to influence Cruz to drop his support for Trump in the Senate in an effort to slide into the nomination for 2020. Get him to work from the inside and push for an impeachment trial in the Senate to oust Trump. 

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

Intelligent?  From the party of trump?  The only requirement is that the person by a sycophant to Moscow Mitch and the GOP money supply (NRA?  Putin?).

Well, perhaps I should have noted that I use that word broadly -- I meant intelligent in the sense of being an effective communicator.  And I know we all make fun of Trump...and we should.  But he's an effective communicator to the audience that matters -- the one that shows up to elect him.  He gets them fired up and enthusiastic.  Candace Owens won't do that.  Hurd wouldn't do that.

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

"Mr. Homan, I am also a taxpayer, so you work for me as well!" 

I watched the video excerpt there- she explained to Mr. Homan the reason another member was allowed to go longer (an interruption by a protestor). Female or not, explaining when you are a Chair weakens your position when someone like this a**hole is being an a**hole. Just stand up and have him carted out. That is the only kind of authority he will respect. Don't worry about hurting his feelings, he has none.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
g

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Thoughta that.....but man, the tussle to see who goes at the TOP of the ticket.  Do you stick with Diamond and Silk, 2024?  OR do you go CRAZY, and make it Silk and Diamond, 2024?

And.....fuck, who am I kidding.  That's probably going to happen.

Well, the GOP is the party that has already had two B-list celebrities win the presidency.  The Diamond & Silk ticket would complete the Rule of 3s.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

Well, the GOP is the party that has already had two B-list celebrities win the presidency.  The Diamond & Silk ticket would complete the Rule of 3s.

The GOP would never nominate a woman?  Never mind a black woman.  They could, however, go all in on Kanye.

4 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I watched the video excerpt there- she explained to Mr. Homan the reason another member was allowed to go longer (an interruption by a protestor). Female or not, explaining when you are a Chair weakens your position when someone like this a**hole is being an a**hole. Just stand up and have him carted out. That is the only kind of authority he will respect. Don't worry about hurting his feelings, he has none.

Actually the correct response is "As an elected member of the Legislative Branch, I work for the people who voted for me.  You, however, work for all U.S. taxpayers because you are not an elected member of the Executive branch." 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think Trump will try that.

But here's what I think Brisket and others are discounting, and what Republican officeholders are going to come to figure out--Republican voters are absolute fucking sheep.  They do what they're told.

Fox News knows that.  That's Fox's entire model.  And very often, Fox is the issuer of the marching orders.

If you're a Republican senator, you don't give a fuck what Trump says.  You care about what Fox says.  And if Fox switches course and decides that Trump has to go for the good of the Party, then Trump's going to go.  They'll turn up the propaganda that he's been corrupt and abused the faith that the great American people placed in him, and that Mike Pence is the true keeper of the faith.  And it'll be over.

Trump thinks he leads his army of fools.  He doesn't.

Trump declared a little mini war on Fox News during his campaign and won. Some of his army already left Fox for OAN, Brietbart, etc and Fox is desperate to bring them back (hence why their prime time lineup has gone full white power).  If Fox turns on Trump, most of their audience won't abandon Trump, they'll abandon Fox.  

• Hugo Stiglitz changed the title to The GQP: Trumpist Death Cult