The movie you just watched

F250

9 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Watched I Am Burt Reynolds last night, good stuff about one of my favorites and still hard to believe he despised doing Boogie Nights, so fantastic in it. 

Thought it was probably his best role even though towards end of his acting career.

• Like 1

Narvik

WWII movie about the battle of Narvik, told from the perspective of the Norwegians. It doesn't really go into the naval battles involving the British which would have been interesting but was still a pretty good war movie.

• Like 1

Narvik
WWII movie about the battle of Narvik, told from the perspective of the Norwegians. It doesn't really go into the naval battles involving the British which would have been interesting but was still a pretty good war movie.

The Norwegian perspective on WWII is fascinating, and not nuanced: fuck the Germans, and fuck Quisling, who we executed the shit out of. It’s pretty hardcore.
  • Hook 'Em 1

This was so dumb and fun. They don't stick the landing 100%, but my 12-yo (who loves YouTubers, of course) and I were picking up what they were putting down. It's like Blair Witch for this generation, with more comedy.

42 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Anatomy of a Fall. Didn’t love it. It’s too long and the resolution wasn’t awesome.

Yeah pretty much every character was more interesting and likable than her.  The trial was the best part.   I liked the sparring with the expert witnesses and the prosecuting attorney's jabs.

• Like 1

Abigail
It was extremely entertaining. And the funny parts were actually funny instead of just cringe, which is a rarity these days. One of the better movies I've seen recently.

Saw this a few weeks ago as well and really liked it. I’m not a big horror fan, but I like those dudes that directed it, so I went. They did the last two Screams, which I enjoyed and Ready Or Not, which is a movie I love and watch when I catch it on TV.

I heard someone say they wished they could have kept the vampire reveal out of the marketing and it would have been so much cooler, but may have been harder to get asses in the seats.

1 hour ago, Stringer said:

Saw this a few weeks ago as well and really liked it. I’m not a big horror fan, but I like those dudes that directed it, so I went. They did the last two Screams, which I enjoyed and Ready Or Not, which is a movie I love and watch when I catch it on TV.

I heard someone say they wished they could have kept the vampire reveal out of the marketing and it would have been so much cooler, but may have been harder to get asses in the seats.

3 hours ago, ajax said:

Abigail

It was extremely entertaining. And the funny parts were actually funny instead of just cringe, which is a rarity these days. One of the better movies I've seen recently.

We really enjoyed it, too. Kathryn Newton is turning into quite the indie horror actress moving into mainstream. And I agree that keeping the vampire reveal out of the theaters would've made the reveal that much more interesting, but I can see how it would make marketing difficult.

On a tangential note, and one about a movie I haven't seen yet, but one I plan to see when I can: I read an interview with Yorgos Lanthimos about his latest movie that debuted at Cannes, and it starts with the interviewer saying "you mentioned Caligula as an inspiration for this", so that should be a fucked-up ride even for YL.

On 5/19/2024 at 6:28 PM, UpperWestside said:

I Saw the TV Glow. Watched it last night. I am certain it will resonate better with other folks. It was a one time watch movie for me.

The trailer looks great, but I thought Jane Schoenbrun's other movie, We're All Going to the World's Fair, was one of the most boring things I've ever seen. It had a super high rating on RT and I usually agree with the critics so I'm a little wary of this one, but I'll probably catch it on streaming.

6 hours ago, austingirl said:

The trailer looks great, but I thought Jane Schoenbrun's other movie, We're All Going to the World's Fair, was one of the most boring things I've ever seen. It had a super high rating on RT and I usually agree with the critics so I'm a little wary of this one, but I'll probably catch it on streaming.

I will defer to you on her as I can tell you zero about her work. A guy I work with did a nice breakdown of the movie for me because I do not really read reviews ahead of time. I would have it listed as a drama and not a horror movie, at least in the traditional sense of what watching a horror movie means.

The focus on the trans experience is why I believe there will be a personal connection to the movie that will resonate better with others who watch it. I believe movies like these have an important place in cinema even if they are not movies that everyone can connect with. I would say to perhaps stream it when it comes out and see what you think of it and not what others feel about this one.

Madam Web

You know, it's not as terrible as I was led to believe. It's not a great movie. It's not even a good movie. There were weird editing choices, and for some reason they chose to overdub the villain's lines without any regard to whether or not his lips were moving. You'll hear him say lines and his lips are stone still.

But it was a competent movie, mildly enjoyable. Dakota Johnson was really good. Sydney Sweeney, bless her heart, she still can't act but she has good screen presence.

On 5/21/2024 at 5:41 PM, UpperWestside said:

I will defer to you on her as I can tell you zero about her work. A guy I work with did a nice breakdown of the movie for me because I do not really read reviews ahead of time. I would have it listed as a drama and not a horror movie, at least in the traditional sense of what watching a horror movie means.

The focus on the trans experience is why I believe there will be a personal connection to the movie that will resonate better with others who watch it. I believe movies like these have an important place in cinema even if they are not movies that everyone can connect with. I would say to perhaps stream it when it comes out and see what you think of it and not what others feel about this one.

I would've categorized her first movie the same way. I didn't know she was trans until this movie came out and it does shine a light on some of the storytelling aspects of World's Fair, but I still wouldn't watch it again. I'll take your advice about streaming TV Glow.

On 5/22/2024 at 8:26 AM, ajax said:

She kinda reminds me of older actress Julia Campbell. 

Juliacampbell.thumb.jpg.a4199757da31e5fe1385fbf2dbcfd36d.jpg

Wow, you're right. I had to look her up to make sure they weren't related.