The movie you just watched

F250

On 4/14/2024 at 7:35 AM, Armybrat said:

I am watching North By Northwest.
Just saw that Eva Marie Saint is still with us at age 99 and will turn 100 on the 4th of July.

Top 10 all time movie for me, and for my money, Hitchcock's best. Eva is a smoke show in that. Carey Grant at his very best. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 4/21/2024 at 4:09 PM, austingirl said:

This was super fun. Don't get hung up on the inaccuracies; it's best to just go with the flow and enjoy it for what it is - a Guy Ritchie/Jerry Bruckheimer film.

5 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

we are going to go see this today.

It was fun. A bit silly but, fun. I may just have to go look for the book.

• Hook 'Em 1

It isn't a new movie, but we saw H Is For Happiness (2019) last evening and it was oddball, charming, sad, and hilarious. It reminded me of the Netflix movie, Dumplin,' with Jennifer Anniston in that it takes a serious topic and its effects from the perspective of the child/teen. it's a good watch.

Spoiler

Set in Australia it's about a young girl whose family is grieving the loss of her sister and the estrangement between her father and her uncle over a business deal gone sour. A new boy appears at school and she befriends him as she is trying to 'fix' her broken family.

The two movies share something else but you gotta watch it for that.

Here's a trailer:

Spoiler

Can someone please suggest some old horror movies?

How old? Pre 1980? Can’t miss with any of these I don’t think. Apologies that some are obvious and you’ve probably seen.

The Innocents
Carnival of Souls
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
Rosemarys Baby
The Exorcist
The Birds
Psycho
Night of the Living Dead
Don’t Look Now
The Wicker Man (73)
Blood on Satans Claw
Texas Chainsaw
The Omen
Burnt Offerings
The Changling
Carrie
Alice Sweet Alice
The Brood
The Fog
Magic
Alien
Theatre of Blood
Who Can Kill A Child
Jaws
Black Christmas
The Shining
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Halloween
Suspiria
Repulsion
Onibaba
Kwaidan
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 4/21/2024 at 3:59 PM, DeepEastTexas said:

Top 10 all time movie for me, and for my money, Hitchcock's best. Eva is a smoke show in that. Carey Grant at his very best. 

It’s going to be at the theaters in the next few weeks. One of those Fathom Events anniversary showings.

https://www.fathomevents.com/news/fathom-events-warner-bros-celebrate-the-65th-anniversary-of-north-by-northwest-flying-into-theaters-nationwide-on-may-19-and-22/

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

It’s going to be at the theaters in the next few weeks. One of those Fathom Events anniversary showings.

https://www.fathomevents.com/news/fathom-events-warner-bros-celebrate-the-65th-anniversary-of-north-by-northwest-flying-into-theaters-nationwide-on-may-19-and-22/

Thanks! I did one of those back in 2016. Pretty fun seeing it on the big screen. Might have to do it again. 

11 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Thanks! I did one of those back in 2016. Pretty fun seeing it on the big screen. Might have to do it again. 

I’ve done that a good number of times. Movies like Lawrence of Arabia and the like are much more amazing on a big screen. I’ve even done it for fights, like Fury v Wilder II. Canelo Alvarez has a fight coming up that will be shown on the big screen.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

Ginger Rogers was a better actress than dancer and she was a damn fine dancer. She also owned a 1,000-acre ranch in southern Oregon where she built a modern dairy complex and bred Guernsey milk stock. 

gingerrogers_rogueriverranch_milkbottle_

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/23/2024 at 10:30 PM, wutang75 said:

Abigail. Not as good as Ready or Not but definitely worth seeing. Agreed with others they messed up giving it away in the trailer. That kid (also in Matilda) is a little badass. She killed it.

Ha, I had the exact same thought about it re the comparison to Ready or Not. We definitely still enjoyed it, though.

9 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Watched I Am Burt Reynolds last night, good stuff about one of my favorites and still hard to believe he despised doing Boogie Nights, so fantastic in it. 

Thought it was probably his best role even though towards end of his acting career.

• Like 1

Narvik

WWII movie about the battle of Narvik, told from the perspective of the Norwegians. It doesn't really go into the naval battles involving the British which would have been interesting but was still a pretty good war movie.

• Like 1

Narvik
WWII movie about the battle of Narvik, told from the perspective of the Norwegians. It doesn't really go into the naval battles involving the British which would have been interesting but was still a pretty good war movie.

The Norwegian perspective on WWII is fascinating, and not nuanced: fuck the Germans, and fuck Quisling, who we executed the shit out of. It’s pretty hardcore.
  • Hook 'Em 1

This was so dumb and fun. They don't stick the landing 100%, but my 12-yo (who loves YouTubers, of course) and I were picking up what they were putting down. It's like Blair Witch for this generation, with more comedy.

On 5/16/2024 at 8:18 AM, Buzzrock said:

American Fiction is worth your time. Caught it on a flight. Jeffrey Wright is hilarious and touching, it’s great.

I enjoyed it too, although every white person (except his agent) being portrayed as a ridiculous caricature was a little tiresome and ironic.

42 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Anatomy of a Fall. Didn’t love it. It’s too long and the resolution wasn’t awesome.

Yeah pretty much every character was more interesting and likable than her.  The trial was the best part.   I liked the sparring with the expert witnesses and the prosecuting attorney's jabs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Subscribe to Shudder. Definitely worth the 5.99$.

Cannot echo this enough. And they are starting to produce some great original content, like Late Night With the Devil and You'll Never Find Me.

I enjoyed it too, although every white person (except his agent) being portrayed as a ridiculous caricature was a little tiresome and ironic.

Yeah but the jabs are pretty on point. It’s definitely one where you can’t take yourself seriously as a white.

Didn't want to start a new thread since it seems there is little interest -- we "watched" the Amy Winehouse biopic at iPic Austin tonight.  Honestly, it was pretty good.  I didn't really understand how much her music and addictions were driven by her boyfriend/husband Blake.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Saw it last night too. Me neither on the connection.

My daughter and I thought the movie was a little disjointed and could have been better written and more explanatory in certain situations. That said it’s very much worth watching. The actress does a great job imo.

14 hours ago, austingirl said:

Cannot echo this enough. And they are starting to produce some great original content, like Late Night With the Devil and You'll Never Find Me.

I enjoyed the Creep show series. Really brings back the campy horror of the original features 

• Hook 'Em 1

Abigail

It was extremely entertaining. And the funny parts were actually funny instead of just cringe, which is a rarity these days. One of the better movies I've seen recently.

Abigail
It was extremely entertaining. And the funny parts were actually funny instead of just cringe, which is a rarity these days. One of the better movies I've seen recently.

Saw this a few weeks ago as well and really liked it. I’m not a big horror fan, but I like those dudes that directed it, so I went. They did the last two Screams, which I enjoyed and Ready Or Not, which is a movie I love and watch when I catch it on TV.

I heard someone say they wished they could have kept the vampire reveal out of the marketing and it would have been so much cooler, but may have been harder to get asses in the seats.

1 hour ago, Stringer said:

Saw this a few weeks ago as well and really liked it. I’m not a big horror fan, but I like those dudes that directed it, so I went. They did the last two Screams, which I enjoyed and Ready Or Not, which is a movie I love and watch when I catch it on TV.

I heard someone say they wished they could have kept the vampire reveal out of the marketing and it would have been so much cooler, but may have been harder to get asses in the seats.

3 hours ago, ajax said:

Abigail

We really enjoyed it, too. Kathryn Newton is turning into quite the indie horror actress moving into mainstream. And I agree that keeping the vampire reveal out of the theaters would've made the reveal that much more interesting, but I can see how it would make marketing difficult.

On a tangential note, and one about a movie I haven't seen yet, but one I plan to see when I can: I read an interview with Yorgos Lanthimos about his latest movie that debuted at Cannes, and it starts with the interviewer saying "you mentioned Caligula as an inspiration for this", so that should be a fucked-up ride even for YL.