The movie you just watched

F250

American Symphony. 

It's getting a ton of Oscar buzz so the wife and I watched it last night. No thanks. Going into the film I only knew Jon Batiste as the band leader of the Late Show with Stephen Colbert and....I still don't know much about him. They did a really poor job of showing us the origin of this so called cultural icon and musical genius. I know they tried to weave in his wife and her struggle with leukemia but the scenes where she's popping her chemo, he's dancing with on stage, she's suffering with a cough, and then he's holding his Grammys was just done so poorly it felt like it was in bad taste. I don't think it was worth the time to watch. 

Saw some good ones recently - and  a lot of bad ones.
Thomas Crown Affair (probably for fifth time) - Extremely well done. Great dialogue. Rene Russo is cool.
O Brother Where Art Thou - Very damn funny. Seen it any number of times too. Still LOLed. A lot like Fargo - not the least bit formulaic. Wasn't Fargo made by the same team?
This is the End. Seth Rogan, All Star Cast. Funny as shit.
True Romance. Christian Slater, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Patricia Arquette, Gary Oldman, and Elvis - If you haven't seen this, you're missing it. The consumate Romance/Action/Thriller.

Hats off to you sir. Not a huge fan of “This is this end” but the other three are top notch - and yes, Coen Brothers. You should celebrate their entire catalogue.
  • Hook 'Em 1

We have several movie channels and I just record anything that looks interesting, and then watch them later when I have a day off. Or just delete them later.  That's led to seeing some really bad movies, but also finding some surprises. Today I watched Jules. Knew nothing about it, but the cast looked pretty good. Turned out to be a fun, and funny, movie. Only 90 minutes or so, so a quick watch.

13 hours ago, austingirl said:

My Man Godfrey. Pretty funny screwball comedy from the 30s, especially if you like William Powell and Carole Lombard. My parents love The Thin Man movies so I usually end up watching something with William Powell or Myrna Loy when I'm over for holidays.

5 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

The David Niven remake was great as well but like your parents I’m also a big fan of Powell. 

I'm a huge Powell fan. Sharp as a razor and always understated. He was always the smartest, but maybe not soberest man in the room. Lombard was excellent in screwball comedy.

• Hook 'Em 3

Saw some good ones recently - and  a lot of bad ones.
Thomas Crown Affair (probably for fifth time) - Extremely well done. Great dialogue. Rene Russo is cool.
O Brother Where Art Thou - Very damn funny. Seen it any number of times too. Still LOLed. A lot like Fargo - not the least bit formulaic. Wasn't Fargo made by the same team?
This is the End. Seth Rogan, All Star Cast. Funny as shit.
True Romance. Christian Slater, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Patricia Arquette, Gary Oldman, and Elvis - If you haven't seen this, you're missing it. The consumate Romance/Action/Thriller.

True romance is outstanding
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Watched another saved movie. Shiva Baby.  Really funny. 

I love Rachel Sennott and watched this just before seeing Bottoms in the theater. It might be the most awkward movie I've ever seen, and I've watched a lot of awkward shit. The horror movie music helps in that regard.

My Man Godfrey, available here, free download, 2GB, at a decent resolution (Wide screen Format)

My Man Godfrey (1957) – Rarelust

If you're gonna bring up Niven, you need to watch Bedtime Story, with him and Marlon Brando. Steve Martin remade this retitled it "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" 7.4 on IMDB. Both pretty funny. Brando as Freddy Benson does a pretty good Ruprect. Rarelust has it for free at a much higher resolution. 1.9 Gb.

Bedtime Story (1964) – Rarelust

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/27/2023 at 5:19 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I know the reviews here have been mixed, but I watched Saltburn, and I dug it.  

Hide contents

Trying to find the ending dance scene...

Until then...

This was a really cool movie. Just fun from beginning to end. Hope Hollywood can make more movies like this.

• Hook 'Em 1

Saltburn. I thought the story was good. A little edgy for the sake of being edgy. I could have done without the recap “how I did it” at the end.
Visually it was really nice. The colors and saturation really well done. Shot by Linus Sandgren (LaLa Land, Don’t Look Up, Babylon) on 35mm.

On 12/26/2023 at 8:49 PM, wutang75 said:

Jojo Rabbit gets better every time I watch it. Making its way in to my all time favorites list.

It really is a fabulous movie. I have relatives in Germany and Opa Horst was born in 1939 so he remembers some of it all. He has talked more in the last few years about what it was like, how they waited for letters from his father who was one of the few who survived Stalingrad and after in the Russian mines.

How the house was blown up with them inside. And how they, his brother, mother and he, were nearly killed that day. He was not much different in age than the little boy in the film.

If you know history I think it makes for a much better film.

7 hours ago, nycHorn said:

Saltburn. I thought the story was good. A little edgy for the sake of being edgy. I could have done without the recap “how I did it” at the end.
Visually it was really nice. The colors and saturation really well done. Shot by Linus Sandgren (LaLa Land, Don’t Look Up, Babylon) on 35mm.

I loved the dance scene at the end.  Good for Barry K.

On 12/28/2023 at 12:42 AM, austingirl said:

My Man Godfrey. Pretty funny screwball comedy from the 30s, especially if you like William Powell and Carole Lombard. My parents love The Thin Man movies so I usually end up watching something with William Powell or Myrna Loy when I'm over for holidays.

That’s a terrific film. 

On 12/29/2023 at 7:47 AM, nycHorn said:

On 12/29/2023 at 3:44 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I loved the dance scene at the end.  Good for Barry K.

I've always thought Barry K was such a weird-looking motherfucker so it was strange seeing him as a sort of playboy. I didn't love the movie (seemed like it was trying to be The Talented Mr. Ripley), but the acting was great and I was especially impressed by Jacob Elordi. IMO he's the weak link in the main Euphoria cast, but I thought he was really good in this. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Road To Perdition.
Hanks best work IMO.

Great movie and Paul Newman's last appearance which was phenomenal.  Hanks shows his best in the business versatility-who else can portray a mobster and Mr. Rogers any better? 

Boys in the boat.  Not to be confused with the small man in the boat, which I finally found….

Clooney directed.   Based on a true story.  Good flick.   Sports movie.   Kids even liked it.   Pops did his grad school at Washington after Texas undergrad, so he’s seen the actual boat from the movie.   Schooner?

I have resolved to not pay money for my entertainment.  Youtube has Patton and I haven't seen it in awhile.  The thing I noticed this time was the practical effects.  They look dangerous and politically incorrect.  Shockwaves kicking up dust around actors, did they really blow up that jeep Bradley had been riding in?  And I'm pretty sure the donkeys they threw off the bridge were real live donkeys.  Well dead by that point, but not dummy donkeys.

Rewatched the last 4 Mission Impossible movies with my kids.  They're 8 and loved them even though I had to stop and explain what was going on a few times. 

Fallout and Dead Reckoning are on a different level than the rest.  Two of the best action movies this century.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Boys in the boat.  Not to be confused with the small man in the boat, which I finally found….

Clooney directed.   Based on a true story.  Good flick.   Sports movie.   Kids even liked it.   Pops did his grad school at Washington after Texas undergrad, so he’s seen the actual boat from the movie.   Schooner?

Going to dinner tonight with friends and to watch this movie after.  Been anticipating this evening for two weeks since buying advance sale tickets and reading reviews from members here who have seen it.  The book is a great read and if the movie comes close to matching the printed story, it should win awards.

• Hook 'Em 1