The movie you just watched

F250

12 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Staying with the crew in a place near the quiet entry to the Great Smoky Mountains national park and decided to show them Last of the Mohicans tonight after a day hiking, since it was filmed not far from here.

Besides the general awesomeness of DDL plus Michael Mann and a great source material—  just so refreshing to see how this movie LOOKS.

- Filmed outside with good lighting and no mood filters.  The mountains, rocks, trees, water, sun, light all looks like what we saw today. 

- Kickass costuming and sets, the Huron village is a Huron village they built for the movie.  The costumes have color and bulk. The makeup looks like normal people who have been outside sweating and running around. 

- The battles and fight scenes are well-choreographed, easy to follow, and yet still manage to look real and chaotic with genuine smoke and fire.  

- Consistent sound all the way through, you can leave it on one volume and hear every word and never have your ears blown out. 

Granted this was a major-budget picture with a tier 1 director and the world’s best actor but DAMN.  I cannot remember the last time I saw a new movie that looks and feels this good and real.  Truly, we reached peak movie magic between about 1990-2000 and it’s been downhill since then. 

The cgi was way better than anything today.  How is that possible.

• Haha 1

Dead Calm
Tight thriller with Sam Neill, Billy Zane, and Nicole Kidman (pre transformation). A couple sailing the ocean encounters the survivor of a large schooner. He's a little creepy.
Solid movie.

Hard to remember that’s what she originally looked like. She does get nude if I recall
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Hard to remember that’s what she originally looked like. She does get nude if I recall

She does. It's strange to recall her as rather beautiful and see the same person and be kind of disappointed. Says something about the world, I think.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched a movie called “Exam” on Tubi about a group of people competing for a job with a prestigious company and they are all put together in a room to take a test. Interesting premise and kind of figuring out a riddle. Labeled as a horror but more of a psychological thriller. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

On 1/2/2024 at 7:52 PM, Mo Horn said:

I gotta give this another try. First time I thought it was meh. Maybe I was half asleep that day

It is a massively complex plot that isn't really exposed linearly. Might take a couple of re-watches to fully absorb. 

But some power acting from a stellar cast. 

On 3/26/2024 at 10:13 PM, RomaVicta said:

Dead Calm

Tight thriller with Sam Neill, Billy Zane, and Nicole Kidman (pre transformation). A couple sailing the ocean encounters the survivor of a large schooner. He's a little creepy.

Solid movie.

Flare gun fu. Twist and shout check it out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Joe Bob Briggs. Aka John Bloom, native Texan for what that's worth anymore. 

That's it. I recall a quote he had from a movie, "You are peeg who sleep with sister."

Helicopter fu, car antenna fu...

• Hook 'Em 1

The Beautiful Game - Netflix

This could have been great but the story was all over the fucking place. Why the focus on the Japanese team with no payoff? South Africa are just cheating mofos? This film needs a serious reshuffle and deal.

Titanic

Watched it with my Gen Z niece who had never seen it. Instead of being into the Jack and Rose love story, she couldn’t stop saying how they did Billy Zane wrong. 

Watching this now that I’m older and married, I agree. Billy Zane didn’t snap until he realized his fiancé was fucking around behind his back with some drifter. 

If I spent a shitload of money (allegedly $130K in today’s money) to bring my fiancé and her mother and all of their shit to America with first class accommodations, I would be so fucking pissed off beyond belief and go berserk the way he did, sinking boat or not. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, MrBig said:

Titanic

Watched it with my Gen Z niece who had never seen it. Instead of being into the Jack and Rose love story, she couldn’t stop saying how they did Billy Zane wrong. 

Watching this now that I’m older and married, I agree. Billy Zane didn’t snap until he realized his fiancé was fucking around behind his back with some drifter. 

If I spent a shitload of money (allegedly $130K in today’s money) to bring my fiancé and her mother and all of their shit to America with first class accommodations, I would be so fucking pissed off beyond belief and go berserk the way he did, sinking boat or not. 

Did it bother her that he pushed her into a traditional gender norm and, you know, PHYSICALLY ABUSED her>

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/30/2024 at 5:38 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The Homesman.  Great cast staring Tommy Lee Jones and Hilary Swank.  John Lithgow, James Spader, and Meryl Streep make appearances.  It was well made,  but it was very slow and I’m not sure what the point was other than the Nebraska Territory was a shitty place to live 

The book is an easy read, and I would encourage you to do so. I thought it was much better than the movie. People go crazy up here. I believe it’s the wind, and it still does it today. 

On 3/31/2024 at 5:38 PM, Parliament said:

Did it bother her that he pushed her into a traditional gender norm and, you know, PHYSICALLY ABUSED her>

Nobody should be abusing anyone. The point is that Billy Zane didn’t start flipping tables and slapping Rose around until after he caught her dancing with Jack in third-class and posing topless for his art. He wasn’t slapping her around until she got that Dawson dick.

Watched a movie called Tik TIk Boom based on a recommendation.  Didnt know anything about it and thought it was excellent.  Stars Andrew Garfield and directed by Lin Manuel Miranda. 

Just letting you know it is a musical similar to La La Land, so if thats not you bag you may want to avoid it.  I only know Garfield as the worst Spiderman, but after his performance in this you can tell he is really talented. 

On 4/2/2024 at 11:32 AM, MrBig said:

Nobody should be abusing anyone. The point is that Billy Zane didn’t start flipping tables and slapping Rose around until after he caught her dancing with Jack in third-class and posing topless for his art. He wasn’t slapping her around until she got that Dawson dick.

Ok well it's still not ok to slap someone around even if they are cheating on you.

• Hook 'Em 1

Went to an advance showing of this at Alamo South Lamar tonight. It's not the greatest movie I've ever seen but is still fine for what it is. If you like The Omen you'll like it as a prequel. I've never seen the sequels and felt like I was missing something at the end so I may check those out.

On 4/3/2024 at 9:57 AM, Gordon Shumway said:

Watched a movie called Tik TIk Boom based on a recommendation.  Didnt know anything about it and thought it was excellent.  Stars Andrew Garfield and directed by Lin Manuel Miranda. 

Just letting you know it is a musical similar to La La Land, so if thats not you bag you may want to avoid it.  I only know Garfield as the worst Spiderman, but after his performance in this you can tell he is really talented. 

Inspired a rewatch of kiss kiss bang bang. Underrated 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 7:06 PM, Parliament said:

Tremors (1990).  Good as I remember.

"What the Hell kinda fuze is that?"

"Cannon fuze."

"What do you use it for?"

"My cannon."

This is one of my favorite movies ever. 

"I'm a victim of circumstance."

"I thought you called it your pecker."

The Green Knight.

The director modified the story a little bit so I was thrown off by some things Still, it was a pretty decent interpretation of a popular Arthurian story.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, F250 said:

The Green Knight.

The director modified the story a little bit so I was thrown off by some things Still, it was a pretty decent interpretation of a popular Arthurian story.

Enjoyed this one a lot, and I'd say it's probably one of the top 5 Arthurian adaptations that have been put to screen, even with its differences. Wish the pandemic hadn't destroyed its life at the box office. Not that it was ever going to set records, but I feel like it could've made more money than it did (tho it did make a profit!)

• Hook 'Em 1

Nyad. Terrible script. Terrible. You can appreciate the value of great actors trying to breathe life into the dead word for only so long. Jody Foster and Rhys Ifans twist the mundane dialogue into something resembling reality. Annette Benning has no chance in the role of Nyad. We sped through the second hour to the end to see if she ever made it.

Don't watch this movie. 

Anyone But You

Sydney Sweeney cannot act. She says her lines like she doesn't understand half the words.

And it's the most unfunny romantic "comedy" I've ever seen. Human beings don't act this way. For example, there's a scene where there's a fire and someone takes off her dress and uses it to put it out. Seriously, WTF? And is that supposed to be funny?

However, Syd's tits are fantastic. 10 out of 10. Best movie of the year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I saw Immaculate tonight.  I thought it was pretty fun.  Only about 90 minutes.  Sydney Sweeney was in a semi-transparent nightgown half the move, if you're into that kind of thing.

Spoiler

The killing spree at the end was pretty good.  I saw Chekhov's crucifix nail coming but not the baby crushing.  The foley for the grunting gurgling offscreen baby was a nice touch.

On 4/7/2024 at 10:08 AM, ajax said:

Anyone But You

Sydney Sweeney cannot act. She says her lines like she doesn't understand half the words.

And it's the most unfunny romantic "comedy" I've ever seen. Human beings don't act this way. For example, there's a scene where there's a fire and someone takes off her dress and uses it to put it out. Seriously, WTF? And is that supposed to be funny?

However, Syd's tits are fantastic. 10 out of 10. Best movie of the year.

She has lifeless eyes. Creeps me tf out but 

image.gif.f8ac7508b9767e4028da5dd323740b2f.gif

• Haha 1

On a flight last night, Aqua Man 2: The Lost Kingdom. What a steaming pile of crap. It’s strange how bad DC movies are. If I didn’t know better I would have thought some scenes were parody like if this movie was trying to be “Another Superhero Movie Drinking Juice in the Hood” type parody. Horrible plot, horrible dialogue, horrible acting, and horrible CGI/technicals. I haven’t looked it up but assumed it completely bombed at box office and hopefully is the final nail in the coffin for DC trying to make movies.

Watched Knox Goes Away, directed by and staring Michael Keaton (along with Pacino).  Writing was a bit lazy, but the acting was great and the story was pretty good.  

Anyway, I recommend if you're looking for something to watch.  I appreciate that, unlike DeNiro, Keaton and Pacino never mail it in.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Watched Knox Goes Away, directed by and staring Michael Keaton (along with Pacino).  Writing was a bit lazy, but the acting was great and the story was pretty good.  

Anyway, I recommend if you're looking for something to watch.  I appreciate that, unlike DeNiro, Keaton and Pacino never mail it in.

IMG_6067.gif

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 3/25/2024 at 9:24 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Staying with the crew in a place near the quiet entry to the Great Smoky Mountains national park and decided to show them Last of the Mohicans tonight after a day hiking, since it was filmed not far from here.

Besides the general awesomeness of DDL plus Michael Mann and a great source material—  just so refreshing to see how this movie LOOKS.

- Filmed outside with good lighting and no mood filters.  The mountains, rocks, trees, water, sun, light all looks like what we saw today. 

- Kickass costuming and sets, the Huron village is a Huron village they built for the movie.  The costumes have color and bulk. The makeup looks like normal people who have been outside sweating and running around. 

- The battles and fight scenes are well-choreographed, easy to follow, and yet still manage to look real and chaotic with genuine smoke and fire.  

- Consistent sound all the way through, you can leave it on one volume and hear every word and never have your ears blown out. 

Granted this was a major-budget picture with a tier 1 director and the world’s best actor but DAMN.  I cannot remember the last time I saw a new movie that looks and feels this good and real.  Truly, we reached peak movie magic between about 1990-2000 and it’s been downhill since then. 

If you like Last of the Mohicans you should check out Black Robe.

It came out around the same time as LotM but was a Canadian film so was overshadowed.

But was directed by Bruce Beresford and is probably my all-time favorite movie about Native American / European interaction.

The cinematography is off the charts 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Thanks for the rec 

Wanted more chicken lady and less cranky old man, but overall enjoyable 

I thought it had a little bit of a Wes Anderson feel. Maybe just from how it treated Woman Police Officer Gladys Moss. I really liked Rose Gooding’s character.

The supporting characters were good and the one older lady played the grandmother in the What A Girl Wants movie.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Thanks for the rec 

Wanted more chicken lady and less cranky old man, but overall enjoyable 

The closing scene makes it hard to believe that Olivia Colman played both the Queen and this character, but what a talented actor.

• Drool 1

6 minutes ago, pch said:

The closing scene makes it hard to believe that Olivia Colman played both the Queen and this character, but what a talented actor.

That’s why I gave a big chuckle when, during the credits, they showed a letter the woman wrote where she was talking about the Queen.

• Hook 'Em 1