Lil’Jordan Humphrey

TheFlagship

28 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Poona is a unicorn. UFA’s are expendable. With that being said, I can see LJ thriving if he sets his mind to it.

Poona worked his ass off and made the team.  Adrian Phillips worked his ass off and made All Pro.  Holton Hill, despite his problems is rocking a starting CB job.  LJH is going to succeed in NO.  Dallas is going to wish they had taken a flyer on him.  

Edited by lemonandaturd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, futureman said:

these are good takes.  how’s poona doing?  isn’t he working at home depot now?  oh that’s right he made the league his fucking bitch in 2018. 

I mean I hope LJH ends up like Poona. I would love to turn on my TV on Sunday and see him catching balls from Drew Brees and running over safeties. But I am just saying what is likely when you are an UFA.

saints not drafting a wr is a huge deal for LJH

i hope he's been prepping / training for months because rookie mini camp is in a couple of weeks

what really blew me away about his combine disaster was not doing well in the WR gauntlet drill. How the hell can you screw that one up ????

Poona worked his ass off and made the team.  Adrian Phillips worked his ass off and made All Pro.  Holton Hill, despite his problems is rocking a starting CB job.  LJH is going to succeed in NO.  Dallas is going to wish they had taken a flyer on him.  

Holton Hill is a dumb ass pot head that didn’t get drafted because of it. Not because he doesn’t have the measurables the NFL wants. Poona is about a inch too short in the league eyes, but he has the wingspan of the Jolly Green Giant.

2 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Holton Hill, despite his problems is rocking a starting CB job.  

HH was starting for the Vikings at the end of last season only because of injuries to Xavier Rhodes and Mike Hughes.  Hill certainly did well to make the team as a UDFA and he performed well in a limited role during the '18 season -- he deserves credit for all of that.  But make no mistake -- he would not have been in the Minnesota starting lineup in the first game of the '19 season, and that's regardless of whether he was suspended.  

Best of luck to LJH.  I'm hoping there is a place for him due to his ability to find soft spots in zones, his hands, and his ability to manufacture yardage after catches.   

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

Zimmer drafted two Texas/East Texas/Houston pot heads who can both ball out as  CB in the NFL, profit.  

Zimmer didn't draft Holton Hill and Boyd isn't a pot head, so...

Who are the "two Texas/East Texas/Houston pot heads" that Zimmer drafted?

If LJH catches the ball reliably in mini camp and runs correct routes, he will make the team.  Brees cannot abide dropping the ball and not being where you are supposed to be.  He will ignore receivers with stone hands to the point of hurting the team.  It's why Tre'quan Smith hasn't caught on for all the measurables.  Keith Kirkwood was a UDFA and was becoming an inviting third target.  Until he dropped a couple of passes.

If LJH is going to make it in the league, the Saints are the best place for him:  They don't have a problem with giving UDFA chances to start, and the team needs a big slot to work underneath and free up Michael Thomas and Kamara in the passing game.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 2

LJH has a reasonable chance to make the team, but he's got an uphill battle. What the Saints need more than anything is a field stretcher. The best Saints offenses under Payton have always had a reliable #1 (basically Colston, and later Jimmy Graham), and a speedster field-stretching #2 (Devery Henderson, Donte Stallworth, Ted Ginn in 2017).  So he's not really going to slide into a huge need for the Saints. 

He's also got a bit of a fight on the numbers game. The Saints usually roster four "true" WRs. There are probably four WR spots that are locked up:
- Can't Guard Mike
- TQ Smith (2nd round pick last year who has shown some potential)
- Ted Ginn (reliable vet, was great in 2017 before getting hurt last year)
- Cam Meredith (a free agency get last year that couldn't shake the injury from the year prior, but has potential)

There's a few other guys in the mix who Payton seems to like.

HOWEVER they always seem to roster an additional one or two WRs who are primarily special teamers and depth. They usually end up playing a few snaps here and there due to injury. This is going to be LJH's path to making the team.

So the question is.. does he have the want to and the ability to play ST? Because if he does, he can make the squad. 

I'd put his odds, realistically at about 30% to make the team.

• Like 4

LJH has a reasonable chance to make the team, but he's got an uphill battle. What the Saints need more than anything is a field stretcher. The best Saints offenses under Payton have always had a reliable #1 (basically Colston, and later Jimmy Graham), and a speedster field-stretching #2 (Devery Henderson, Donte Stallworth, Ted Ginn in 2017).  So he's not really going to slide into a huge need for the Saints. 
He's also got a bit of a fight on the numbers game. The Saints usually roster four "true" WRs. There are probably four WR spots that are locked up:
- Can't Guard Mike
- Cam Meredith (a free agency get last year that couldn't shake the injury from the year prior, but has potential)
HOWEVER they always seem to roster an additional one or two WRs who are primarily special teamers and depth. They usually end up playing a few snaps here and there due to injury. This is going to be LJH's path to making the team.
So the question is.. does he have the want to and the ability to play ST? Because if he does, he can make the squad. 

There was an article on the athletic debating if the Saints want to take on another “project”. That’s when I stopped reading.

3 minutes ago, Bigpoppapump said:

There was an article on the athletic debating if the Saints want to take on another “project”. That’s when I stopped reading.

Yeah I'm not really sure what they meant by that. They've had lots of UDFAs step up right away. Pierre Thomas and of course Colston who I think had over 1k yards his first season. If LJH is one of the four best WRs on the team he will make it over whoever isn't. Payton's not a sunk-cost guy. Pierre Thomas was a UDFA the same year the Saints drafted a RB high (don't remember who, some guy from tOSU I think), and PT made the team and the guy they actually drafted got cut.

He picked a pretty good spot in terms of a front office and coach who have done a good job of finding and developing UDFAs. It's just a bit of a numbers crunch in terms of making the team as a pure WR. He really needs to bust his ass on ST.

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

- Can't Guard Mike

Thoughts on a shot for a practice squad spot for LJH??  WRs do get banged up a lot....

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Thoughts on a shot for a practice squad spot for LJH??  WRs do get banged up a lot....

Yeah, that's a good question. Both Ginn and Meredith have injury questions so I'd imagine that the Saints might either carry 1 extra active WR or a couple on the practice squad.

I'm admittedly less of a Saints superfan than I used to be (life, kids, old age), so I'm not super up to speed on the practice squad. I couldn't name anyone on it last year. But I'd guess he has a very good chance to stick there. But honestly I'd almost imagine that if he shows out enough in preseason to make the Saints PS, some other team who needs WR help would steal him onto their active roster. Wouldn't even be mad though, rather LJH get that money and opportunity, even if not on my pro team.

The problem for the Saints is Brees doesn’t really have the arm to push the ball down the field the way he used too.  LJH has a real opportunity to make the team If he busts his ass, as they basically need guys he can provide options when Teams double up Thomas and dedicate a player to Kamara. 

5 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

The problem for the Saints is Brees doesn’t really have the arm to push the ball down the field the way he used too.  LJH has a real opportunity to make the team If he busts his ass, as they basically need guys he can provide options when Teams double up Thomas and dedicate a player to Kamara. 

I've heard that said but I'm not really sure how true that is. 

https://sportsinfosolutionsblog.com/2018/12/05/which-quarterbacks-have-had-the-most-success-with-long-throws-in-2018/

(I know this is from December of last year before the season ended, which kinda makes one of my points below)

The issue with Brees and his long balls last year was mostly that he didn't have a field stretcher to throw to, and towards the end of the year the OL got banged up and he was getting no time to throw. The Cowboys and Rams games were good examples of that... one of which we lost and one of which we won on a last minute field goal after a pass interference call, and were subsequently invited to the Whitehouse by president Hillary Clinton to celebrate our Super Bowl win.

Edited by BradInATX

Jason Peters is on that list and I personally know him. That's interesting seeing the other names on there. He was a (semi) skinny dude when he went to arkie.

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Jason Peters is on that list and I personally know him. That's interesting seeing the other names on there. He was a (semi) skinny dude when he went to arkie.

he ran a 4.9 at the combine at 6’5” 330.  how in the name of zeus’s butthole did he go undrafted?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, futureman said:

he ran a 4.9 at the combine at 6’5” 330.  how in the name of zeus’s butthole did he go undrafted?

He played TE in college. He was on those Matt Jones Arkansas teams so he was mainly an extra blocker, but he may not have been all that sound technically as an Olineman. 

• Like 1

Marques Colston was a very late 7th round pick who dominated training camp and preseason on a 2006 team that had a ton of roster spots open. It was Brees' first year in New Orleans coming off the shoulder surgery, and Reggie Bush's first year.

LJH has an opportunity to make the roster, and the Saints are moving away from smaller receivers after Tommylee Lewis got blown up on the NFCCG non-call, and current receiver project Austin Carr has not panned out. The cerebral Saints offense is about matchups and especially now with Brees' rarely throwing deep and throwing even less intermediate routes. They were dominant as an offense last season until the Cowboys shut them down, and they sputtered the rest of the way. Injuries at receiver and offensive line were a big cause for the loss of momentum.  Is Cam Meredith going to recover from hi knee issues? Does Ted Ginn Jr. still have it at his age, and after he was injured most of last season/ Is Tre'quan Smith going to get better in year 2. He seemed to be a non-factor in the 2nd half of last season.

LJH can make this roster and at minimum, if he lands on the practice squad and develops for the Saints or a team that snatches him from the practice squad, that would be a good outcome. If he can make the 53 but not be active too much on gameday, that's not a bad outcome for an UFDA either, and better than the practice squad.

Bottom line, he's got to show what I think I and most people around here have seen - that his playmaking, tackle-breaking, and rapid growth as a college player just are not congruent with his shitty measurables.

Edited by NWAustinDude

32 minutes ago, NWAustinDude said:

Marques Colston was a very late 7th round pick who dominated training camp and preseason on a 2006 team that had a ton of roster spots open. It was Brees' first year in New Orleans coming off the shoulder surgery, and Reggie Bush's first year.

LJH has an opportunity to make the roster, and the Saints are moving away from smaller receivers after Tommylee Lewis got blown up on the NFCCG non-call, and current receiver project Austin Carr has not panned out. The cerebral Saints offense is about matchups and especially now with Brees' rarely throwing deep and throwing even less intermediate routes. They were dominant as an offense last season until the Cowboys shut them down, and they sputtered the rest of the way. Injuries at receiver and offensive line were a big cause for the loss of momentum.  Is Cam Meredith going to recover from hi knee issues? Does Ted Ginn Jr. still have it at his age, and after he was injured most of last season/ Is Tre'quan Smith going to get better in year 2. He seemed to be a non-factor in the 2nd half of last season.

LJH can make this roster and at minimum, if he lands on the practice squad and develops for the Saints or a team that snatches him from the practice squad, that would be a good outcome. If he can make the 53 but not be active too much on gameday, that's not a bad outcome for an UFDA either, and better than the practice squad.

Bottom line, he's got to show what I think I and most people around here have seen - that his playmaking, tackle-breaking, and rapid growth as a college player just are not congruent with his shitty measurables.

*assuming he works his ass off like any UDFA should

12 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I've heard that said but I'm not really sure how true that is. 

https://sportsinfosolutionsblog.com/2018/12/05/which-quarterbacks-have-had-the-most-success-with-long-throws-in-2018/

(I know this is from December of last year before the season ended, which kinda makes one of my points below)

The issue with Brees and his long balls last year was mostly that he didn't have a field stretcher to throw to, and towards the end of the year the OL got banged up and he was getting no time to throw. The Cowboys and Rams games were good examples of that... one of which we lost and one of which we won on a last minute field goal after a pass interference call, and were subsequently invited to the Whitehouse by president Hillary Clinton to celebrate our Super Bowl win.

I guess, I just can't get that vision of Ginn wide open down the middle to start the Eagles game out of my head. 

It's not that the Saints don't throw deep, it's that Brees can't really throw the bomb any more.  It's more of the long intermediate route where he and Michael Thomas do so much damage.  If they can develop some receivers to give other options and create more space for Thomas, then the offense should start clicking again.   That's were LJH might come into play. I also agree his general athleticism and size will be useful on special teams.

Well, and an Aggie improving the play at center to give Brees time to step into his passes.  

I think the playoffs proved he's lost enough off his deep ball that it won't be a huge threat anymore.  The first pass against the eagles as mentioned and even the bomb to ginn to set up what should have been the game winner was underthrown.  a lot.  maybe it was fatigue but i'm not counting on it being there late next year.

13 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I guess, I just can't get that vision of Ginn wide open down the middle to start the Eagles game out of my head. 

It's not that the Saints don't throw deep, it's that Brees can't really throw the bomb any more.  It's more of the long intermediate route where he and Michael Thomas do so much damage.  If they can develop some receivers to give other options and create more space for Thomas, then the offense should start clicking again.   That's were LJH might come into play. I also agree his general athleticism and size will be useful on special teams.

Well, and an Aggie improving the play at center to give Brees time to step into his passes.  

I'd definitely agree that his deep deep ball (bomb or whatever you want to call it.. 35+ Yards in the air) is mostly gone now.

14 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

...If they can develop some receivers to give other options and create more space for Thomas, then the offense should start clicking again....

So the team that was a blown pass interference call away from the Super Bowl on their last possession of their season somehow lost their offensive mojo during the off-season and we’re not certain whether they will be able to get it back before their training camp...

Okay, got it. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

So the team that was a blown pass interference call away from the Super Bowl on their last possession of their season somehow lost their offensive mojo during the off-season and we’re not certain whether they will be able to get it back before their training camp...

Okay, got it cool, hook'em.

FIFY

18 minutes ago, markstanco said:
1 hour ago, Zavala said:
Bro Kyler Murray and Koach Kool!

He is going to get blown up that one time he should have gone left but went right by a Bobby Wagner or kahlil mack and go on IR. Choose your backup wisely.

lol I don't play fantasy football, don't really pay attention to the No Fun League.

Great for lil'Jordan to go to a real franchise though. Sometimes going undrafted has it's perks. Hope he stays healthy and learns how to be a pro and gets to play with Brees, an all time great.

13 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Okay, got it. 

You know how I know you don’t watch the Saints regularity?  Because you made this dipshit statement.  Following the Cowboy game,  the Saints struggled to move the ball consistently, compared to earlier in the season.  Much of that had to do with injuries to the Oline,  but some of it also because teams were all over Michael Thomas and Kamara and the Saints couldn’t find a reliable outlet.  

Hence the excitement for LJH.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Okay, got it. 

The Saints offense was significantly different (worse) from about week 12 on, including into the playoffs. He is right. 

Source - am Saints fan, watched every game. I could also look up stats to show my work, but your low effort post deserves a low effort response.

Edited by BradInATX

Article predicting LJH has better than most chance of UDFA's to make roster.....

New Orleans Saints: Lil’Jordan Humphrey, WR, Texas

The Saints need wide receiver talent to pair with Michael Thomas, but with only five picks in the 2019 draft, they weren’t able to address that position. Instead, they dipped their toes into the undrafted free agent market by signing Lil’Jordan Humphrey from the University of Texas.

Humphrey has more than a cool first name — he was a really productive receiver during his final season at Texas. Last year, Humphrey recorded 1,176 receiving yards and 10 total touchdowns, including the game-winner against Texas Tech.

There isn’t exactly a ton of competition for Humphrey in New Orleans, outside of Thomas, No one should be surprised if he ends up seeing snaps as a rookie.  

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/5/1/18520669/nfl-undrafted-free-agents-signings-new-team-best-fit

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1