Air Fryers

Big D

I have a gluten-intolerant kid so he eats a lot of fries.  Easy to toss in a bag of frozen fries and done in 15 minutes with minimal cleanup.  Yea, could do the same in the oven but this is more convenient.  Makes a hell of a pork schnitzel/pork chops as well...  That being said - I got a big one and it takes up a lot of counter space...  A nice to have thing in the kitchen but not a must have...

• 1 month later...

As said above, fries and wings come out great. Thighs too. But you need the skin to remain on. I tried home dipped and floured chicken tenders and you need to spray them with a ton of cooking spray to get the flour to not taste raw. Grilled chicken, salmon and hamburgers are great as well. I like the easy clean-up and things cook very quickly.

On 9/28/2018 at 10:07 AM, Grimas said:

I have a gluten-intolerant kid so he eats a lot of fries.  Easy to toss in a bag of frozen fries and done in 15 minutes with minimal cleanup.  Yea, could do the same in the oven but this is more convenient.  Makes a hell of a pork schnitzel/pork chops as well...  That being said - I got a big one and it takes up a lot of counter space...  A nice to have thing in the kitchen but not a must have...

I’m sorry, you say something? 

shake.gif.35f1a72c81548a1e24c3754fb189f5

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Air fryers vs insta pot. One of life’s biggest decisions.

Why not both?  Seriously I’ve gotten both within the last 5 weeks. I’d says it’s neck and neck as far as which is better so far. 

As far as fries do you guys find that you have to put a limited amount in the basket?  I got one as a gift and it’s not a huge family model. On the TV commercials they show a basket of fries all the way to the top. It’s been my experience that to get even cooking you can’t will it anywhere near full and have to shake the baskets several times 

On 11/27/2018 at 9:09 PM, NateHitch said:

Anyone have the ninja air fryer/pressure cooker? Buddy of mine just got one and loves it. We just bought an instapot a few months ago but thinking about giving it to my in laws and grabbing the ninja thing instead

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FDFP79J/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_lAG.Bb889ESWC

I don’t have this, but I have a Ninja coffee maker and a Ninja blender/processor and I can confirm that both kick serious ass.  So, if Ninja makes it, it’s probably badass and you need one.

On 11/30/2018 at 3:54 PM, Lhorn said:

Why not both?  Seriously I’ve gotten both within the last 5 weeks. I’d says it’s neck and neck as far as which is better so far. 

As far as fries do you guys find that you have to put a limited amount in the basket?  I got one as a gift and it’s not a huge family model. On the TV commercials they show a basket of fries all the way to the top. It’s been my experience that to get even cooking you can’t will it anywhere near full and have to shake the baskets several times 

The one thing I've noticed is that as long as it's on the bottom of the basket in the air fryer it all cooks evenly.  Haven't tried throwing a whole bag of fries in yet though.  We do pretty much everything on 400 for about 9 minutes and it pretty much always comes out cooked well.  Did Samosas, dumplings, and chicken nuggets earlier and had zero issues.

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2018 at 5:41 AM, Dbeasy said:

Air fryers vs insta pot. One of life’s biggest decisions.

Team both.  They’re different. I cooked a turkey Brest in my air fryer and it was amazing and only took an hour. Chili (wo beans) or refried beans are money in the instapot.  

Air fryer doesnt fry.  It's a convection oven.  And it does the same your traditional oven does - if your oven has a fan/convection mode.

You'll be "baking" your chicken wings and fries, just like you would in an oven.

The difference is, the smaller volume makes it a bit more efficient given the quantity that most people cook.  And the air flow in the round chamber is probably better than in a big oven, or a mini convection toaster oven.  Means easier cleaning, also. 

Ideally, I'd have just the mini convection toaster... but that's a larger unit and more or less a permanent fixture in the kitchen, of which we have limited space... because the wife prefers to have a microwave (blech) and a traditional toaster.... both of which would be obviated by the mini convec toaster.... but I digress.

Bought the Philips 9641.  Side note, these companies really need to fucking rationalize their product lineup and make the 100s of models meaningful

I got a counter top air fryer for Christmas. My only experience previously is doing turkey and chicken in the outdoor Charbroil Big Easy air fryer...which I like a lot. 

Am I the only one not impressed with the table top version? It fits so little food, that if you are cooking for more than one person, you have to cook in batches. Add in that you have to toss the fries every five fucking minutes while air frying and it quickly becomes a pain in the ass to babysit.  The oven is faster, easier, and turns out a better product.

Edited by CooterBrown

16 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I got a counter top air fryer for Christmas. My only experience previously is doing turkey and chicken in the outdoor Charbroil Big Easy air fryer...which I like a lot. 

Am I the only one not impressed with the table top version? It fits so little food, that if you are cooking for more than one person, you have to cook in batches. Add in that you have to toss the fries every five fucking minutes while air frying and it quickly becomes a pain in the ass to babysit.  The oven is faster, easier, and turns out a better product.

if it's just about fries (which is my primary usage), the alternative is actually deep frying... which is messier, smellier, and is a much more PITA disposal issue with the oil. 

cooking fries in oven usually will not yield similar results as frying. 

Aren't these countertop ones just small convection ovens? You'd be better off buying a nice counter-top convection oven, which would be more versatile and useful. I have one. It does a great job on frozen fries, plus can be used as a toaster oven, pizza oven, etc. 

I've had one for maybe 6 months. It's a fun little utility and very useful for heating shit up. Sometimes the kids want pizza rolls. Or frozen chicken tenders. Or tater tots. It's great for frozen stuff like that. It also does a very good job of warming up leftover pizza. It does a good job with chicken wings as mentioned. I don't think I would "cook" much else in it but I do like it if that makes sense. 

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

Aren't these countertop ones just small convection ovens? You'd be better off buying a nice counter-top convection oven, which would be more versatile and useful. I have one. It does a great job on frozen fries, plus can be used as a toaster oven, pizza oven, etc. 

Yes, yes, and yes.

My rationale is the circular chamber and smaller volume of these things makes the convection more effective.  And that's what yields the crisp texture.  I'm buying one to test it out.

Problem with most of the counter-top oven is that the fans are puny.... and the ones i've used don't even make a good seal.

And cooking small quantities in a traditional oven is just a tremendous waste of energy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Yes, yes, and yes.

My rationale is the circular chamber and smaller volume of these things makes the convection more effective.  And that's what yields the crisp texture.  I'm buying one to test it out.

Problem with most of the counter-top oven is that the fans are puny.... and the ones i've used don't even make a good seal.

And cooking small quantities in a traditional oven is just a tremendous waste of energy. 

i think there's a bigger fan relative to the air volume in these countertop air fryers.  breville has a countertop convection oven that (iirc) has a much bigger fan (and also a basket tray).  price isn't too bad if you were already getting a good countertop oven and a good air fryer. 

Edited by elfenix

7 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i think there's a bigger fan relative to the air volume in these countertop air fryers.  breville has a countertop convection oven that (iirc) has a much bigger fan (and also a basket tray).  price isn't too bad if you were already getting a good countertop oven and a good air fryer. 

thats a serious looking unit.

18 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Yes, yes, and yes.

Got it. Thanks.

I invested in a higher-end countertop unit. Fan pushes plenty of air. I rarely use the real oven, any longer. 

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

I got this one for Christmas, it works really well and the air fryer feature has already proven useful. 

Both my big oven and my countertop toaster oven have the convection feature. I have use the countertop about twice a day for the last 15 years. Melting cheese on nachos, toasting bread for sandwiches, broiling oysters, it's great. It's just three of us, a lot quicker and and doesn't use a lot of power to heat up. If I were single, I bet I would not have turned my oven on since new. If  it's just one or two of you, you are doing yourself a disservice not having a countertop toaster oven. I hate microwaves.

CHIEF

• Like 1

Got the Philips 9640 "fryer" in today.

Has decent heft, and takes a decent amount of footprint relative to the cooking volume.  Which is good and bad.

Although I'd say it's good for 3-4 portions, as advertised.

The bottom of the cooking chamber is shaped to really induce a cyclone effect.

Cooked some fries with it.  180C @ 20min stopping to shake the basket a few times.  Brushed oil over the fries to ensure good heat transfer and crispiness.

Result?  Yeap, really does taste like oven fries -- a bit dry, doesn't have interior fluffiness -- and quite distinct from actual deep-fried potatoes.  Not bad, but not a substitute.

Why's it still good?  Everythings really self-contained.  Cooking basket really easy to remove and easy to clean.  No odor like actual fry job.  Near zero mess in prep and cleanup.

How's it compare to convection toaster oven?  Probably would taste identical.  Easier clean job.  Easier handling as you can pull out the entire food content in the cooking tray.

Would I swap for toaster oven?  Still considering it.  Probably not.  I don't need to heat anything with elongated shape (baguette would go in large oven).  With toaster oven I can turn convection off...but that's not really that big of a deal.  Everything else I can use both in the same way, but the "fryer" is more portable and self-contained (previously mentioned I'm low on countertop space).

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 7:53 AM, elfenix said:

Team breville. I have that unit and it kicks fucking ass. My full-size oven gets used maybe 5% as much as it used to pre breville. 

Is there a way to cook chicken strips (fresh not frozen) in an air fryer that tastes good?  I did some dipped in buttermilk, then breaded in flour and panko bread crumbs.  I sprayed them with olive oil and cooking spray and cooked for 12 minutes.  I've never eaten shake and bake chicken, but I'm guessing that is how it tastes.  Am I better off sticking with Crisco and a frying pan?