All things Apple, the tech not the fruit

sachick

• 2 months later...

I never thought they would sell this many at that price point.

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/01/29/apple-vision-pro-headset-sales/

Apple Has Sold Approximately 200,000 Vision Pro Headsets

Monday January 29, 2024 3:17 pm PST by Juli Clover

Apple has sold upwards of 200,000 Vision Pro headsets, MacRumors has learned from a source with knowledge of Apple's sales numbers. Apple began accepting pre-orders for the Vision Pro on January 19, so the headset has been available for purchase in the U.S. for 10 days.

Last Monday, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed that Apple had sold an estimated 160,000 to 180,000 Vision Pro units during the pre-order weekend for the device, so sales may have slowed somewhat since then.

Vision Pro headsets for launch day home delivery sold out within hours of pre-orders launching, and in-store pickup options followed shortly after, so it is no surprise that interest in the headset has started to wane somewhat after the initial rush of orders.

Media reviews for the Vision Pro are set to go live on Tuesday, and that could push more sales, plus there will likely be an uptick in purchases after actual consumers begin sharing hands-on experiences.

Kuo has warned that demand for the Vision Pro could taper off quickly because of the niche market for the device. The headset is priced at $3,500, which puts it out of range of many consumers. Rumors have suggested that Apple is prepared for a limited number of sales, due both to the high price of the Vision Pro and difficulty producing it.

Apple is expected to produce around half a million Vision Pro headsets, but whether it will sell that many remains to be seen.

14 hours ago, mdmost said:

I never thought they would sell this many at that price point.

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/01/29/apple-vision-pro-headset-sales/

Apple Has Sold Approximately 200,000 Vision Pro Headsets

Monday January 29, 2024 3:17 pm PST by Juli Clover

Apple has sold upwards of 200,000 Vision Pro headsets, MacRumors has learned from a source with knowledge of Apple's sales numbers. Apple began accepting pre-orders for the Vision Pro on January 19, so the headset has been available for purchase in the U.S. for 10 days.

Last Monday, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claimed that Apple had sold an estimated 160,000 to 180,000 Vision Pro units during the pre-order weekend for the device, so sales may have slowed somewhat since then.

Vision Pro headsets for launch day home delivery sold out within hours of pre-orders launching, and in-store pickup options followed shortly after, so it is no surprise that interest in the headset has started to wane somewhat after the initial rush of orders.

Media reviews for the Vision Pro are set to go live on Tuesday, and that could push more sales, plus there will likely be an uptick in purchases after actual consumers begin sharing hands-on experiences.

Kuo has warned that demand for the Vision Pro could taper off quickly because of the niche market for the device. The headset is priced at $3,500, which puts it out of range of many consumers. Rumors have suggested that Apple is prepared for a limited number of sales, due both to the high price of the Vision Pro and difficulty producing it.

Apple is expected to produce around half a million Vision Pro headsets, but whether it will sell that many remains to be seen.

A cool near +$1B in rev for a product that hasn't hit the actual stores yet.

I'm kinda skeptical about people in large wanting to wear a heavy'ish thing on their head.  But obviously, this is just gen 1 to usher in iteratively better physical devices

I am curious and had real thoughts of buying but then remembered my experience with the iphone and if this is anything like the iphone, you want to start buying at the Vision4 for price to be reasonable and functionality to be widespread and adopted. I don't want to be the guy paying a premium as an early adopter for the big clunky v1

Edited by BeardIP

2 hours ago, immamac said:

How are there this many people who just have $3500 to light on fire? Who are all these people. 

I believe an Apple IIe cost $1,300 in '83 or $4,100 in today's dollars. Google tells me that Apple shipped over 1m units in '83. People like to spend money on electronics.

Overall I see this as a fancy entertainment device that could replace TVs or iPads for some. I would like to have one but I'm too cheap to spend 3500.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

2 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I am curious and had real thoughts of buying but then remembered my experience with the iphone and if this is anything like the iphone, you want to start buying at the Vision4 for price to be reasonable and functionality to be widespread and adopted. I don't want to be the guy paying a premium as an early adopter for the big clunky v1

I dont have firsthand knowledge of first iphone but already the 2nd and 3rd model (3g and 3gs) were already supremely good products

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I believe an Apple IIe cost $1,300 in '83 or $4,100 in today's dollars. Google tells me that Apple shipped over 1m units in '83. People like to spend money on electronics.

Overall I see this as a fancy entertainment device that could replace TVs or iPads for some. I would like to have one but I'm too cheap to spend 3500.

Or it could be 

image.jpeg.941ee7346620ffb68255465137977a12.jpeg

• Drool 1

• 4 weeks later...

They’re probably also seeing rivian and lucid going tits up. That and they’re $3500 vr set that doesn’t even do pron is now developing cracks so the market for people with loose cash may be drying up a bit on Apple…..until the next iPhone/pad/Mac release cycle. And I’m an Apple fan.

On 1/30/2024 at 1:10 PM, immamac said:

How are there this many people who just have $3500 to light on fire? Who are all these people. 

Are they not the same people who pay $1,000 for a new iPhone, but it is $33/month for 36 months. 
So do they sell the VR set for $75/month for 48 months ?

It certainly isn't me - I bought a new Moto 5 in December for under $200, it is good enough for me. But there is no cool factor in it.

Edited by Wally Fairway

3 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Are they not the same people who pay $1,000 for a new iPhone, but it is $33/month for 36 months. 
So do they sell the VR set for $75/month for 48 months ?

It certainly isn't me - I bought a new Moto 5 in December for under $200, it is good enough for me. But there is no cool factor in it.

No. There isn’t financing on this and there’s no trade in subsidies from the providers. This is a significantly overpriced computer that doesn’t even work for things a normal computer would work for. This isn’t like buying an apple computer from the 80s those actually did something. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Given how fucking worthless Siri is, you couldn't pay me to get in a car driven by that dumb bitch.

I do understand that Apple Maps has somewhat turned a corner and is no longer directing people off of steep cliffs, at least

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I do understand that Apple Maps has somewhat turned a corner and is no longer directing people off of steep cliffs, at least

In Texas it's superior to Google maps. Both in the cities and in the sticks. Come a long way.

Siri is a fucking embarrassment to Apple. Jobs would have that entire dev team's heads on Pikes in the center of Apple Park years ago. Such a waste.

• Hook 'Em 1

The problem with Apple Maps is that its reviews are through Yelp. Obviously reviews on Google Maps have their own set of issues, but Yelp is pure trash.

Also, no web version of Apple Maps is just fucking silly. It's never going to replace Google Maps entirely for me because I can't, for example, save a map of interesting restaurants before I go on a trip. I guess Gen Z will happily do shit like that on their phone, but I want a real web interface and mouse and keyboard.

5 hours ago, tokamak said:

Given how fucking worthless Siri is, you couldn't pay me to get in a car driven by that dumb bitch.

Siri is bad if you judge it by standards of general AI, eg asking it all sorts of questions on unconstrained topics. 

As a voice utility supporting the company products, like dictating timers in the clock app or streaming music, works fine enough ive found. 

6 hours ago, tokamak said:

The problem with Apple Maps is that its reviews are through Yelp. Obviously reviews on Google Maps have their own set of issues, but Yelp is pure trash.

Also, no web version of Apple Maps is just fucking silly. It's never going to replace Google Maps entirely for me because I can't, for example, save a map of interesting restaurants before I go on a trip. I guess Gen Z will happily do shit like that on their phone, but I want a real web interface and mouse and keyboard.

I’m not saying it’s right, first and foremost.

But Apple would say, if you just bought a Mac, you wouldn’t need a browser version, as it’s a built in app.

so it’s not an issue for me, with my MBP.

I understand your yelp complaints. And I have the same for google, as they are also trash. I’d be ok if either removed all reviews from the apps. Let me seek out validation separately. 

19 minutes ago, deft said:

Nope. She can’t even do that.

Yeah. Fuck Siri. Three years of being able to set my smart scenes in my smart home, and in the last month, “set warm” has only attempted to set alarm and vice versa. I’m a full on Apple fanboy, and Siri is a trash product, that shouldn’t even be in beta (and I have lived full beta for all of my Apple OS’s for a decade).

it’s a goddamn disgrace. I held out on buying Echo dots for voice commands for my smart home because I assumed Siri would get better and I could get Apple HomePods when the kinks had worked out. That was 8 years ago. My 6 echo dots were less than $25 total on deals, and work flawlessly for quick commands. My phone and watch are terrible in comparison.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

I’m not saying it’s right, first and foremost.

But Apple would say, if you just bought a Mac, you wouldn’t need a browser version, as it’s a built in app.

so it’s not an issue for me, with my MBP.

I understand your yelp complaints. And I have the same for google, as they are also trash. I’d be ok if either removed all reviews from the apps. Let me seek out validation separately. 

Didn’t realize there is a Mac app. I use Windows PCs at work and at home. Even so, I still find it strange there’s no web version. There’s web Apple Music, for example. And they let people embed Apple Maps (DuckDuckGo, for example), so it seems like the technology is already pretty much in existence.

I could rant all day about Siri. It’s shit. My (least) favorite thing ours does is when you say “add red salsa to the grocery list” it adds “red” and “salsa” separately. Every. Fucking. Time. Ask for green salsa? No problem. Purple salsa? No fucking problem. Red salsa? Fuck you, human.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

I could rant all day about Siri. It’s shit. My (least) favorite thing ours does is when you say “add red salsa to the grocery list” it adds “red” and “salsa” separately. Every. Fucking. Time. Ask for green salsa? No problem. Purple salsa? No fucking problem. Red salsa? Fuck you, human.

Have you tried saying "salsa roja"? 

3 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

Yeah. Fuck Siri. Three years of being able to set my smart scenes in my smart home, and in the last month, “set warm” has only attempted to set alarm and vice versa. I’m a full on Apple fanboy, and Siri is a trash product, that shouldn’t even be in beta (and I have lived full beta for all of my Apple OS’s for a decade).

You gotta talk sweet to her

RPReplay_Final1709275164.gif.5f3273cf8ae6f40b295f4cc43f1d07e1.gif

Posted (edited)

Apple is playing chicken with the EU, they're completely thumbing their nose at the EU app store ruling and are going to get sanctioned again for unfair marketplace practices and falling to comply with court rulings

https://techcrunch.com/2024/03/06/apple-terminates-epic-games-developer-account-calling-it-a-threat-to-the-ios-ecosystem/

https://techcrunch.com/2024/01/25/epic-games-ceo-calls-out-apples-dma-rules-as-malicious-compliance-and-full-of-junk-fees/

EDIT: Oop yup there goes the EU

https://www.reuters.com/technology/eu-regulators-seek-details-escalating-apple-epic-games-spat-2024-03-07/

Edited by Captainant

• 2 weeks later...

Apple getting called out on their bullshit. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/apple-sued-doj-antitrust-monopoly-biden-rcna144424

The U.S. Department of Justice filed a landmark lawsuit against Apple on Thursday, accusing it of monopolizing the smartphone market.

The civil suit, joined by 17 state and district attorneys general, charges Apple with restricting its smartphone operating system in a way that drives up costs for consumers and prevents developers from successfully releasing products on other smartphone systems.

“Consumers should not have to pay higher prices because companies violate the antitrust laws,” Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a news release.

Among the suit's allegations:

• Apple prevents the successful deployment of what the DOJ calls "super apps" that would make it easier for consumers to switch between smartphone platforms.
  • Apple blocks the development of cloud-streaming apps that would allow for high-quality video-game play without having to pay for extra hardware.
  • Apple inhibits the development of cross-platform messaging apps so that customers must keep buying iPhones.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

All of those points are bullshit.

Not really - Apple is facing alot of heat in the EU for similar practices.

Apple 100% controls everything that's in the app store and has absolutely blocked the publication of apps in their store because they felt they weren't getting enough margin out of it.

• You cannot install ANY other cloud platform backup client onto an iPhone except iCloud. No onedrive or gcloud or dropbox or anything for device backup storage
  • You cannot install ANY game streaming service like Xcloud or Nvidia GameStream or Amazon Luna or anything else onto your iPhone. You can only access them via a web browser and not natively, which is a dogshit experience and competitive disadvantage.
  • You cannot install ANY other SMS messaging client onto an iphone that would let users break out of that stranglehold.

You can do all of those things on android, simply because the device allows you to install other app stores and natively install apps WITHOUT jailbreaking or rooting the device. Apple has a jealously protected walled garden.

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 3

After mostly getting its ass handed to it by Masimo over patented blood oxygen and pulse sensors incorporated into the Apple Watch, Apple is now trying legislatively to alter the jurisdiction of the International Trade Commission to institute patent infringement investigations over technologies imported by domestic entities, such as Apple Watches.  https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/19/technology/apple-patents-lobbying.html and elsewhere.

Historically, the ITC has provided an alternative venue for patent infringement claims against foreign importers of patented technologies.  Monetary damages are unavailable, but the proceeding is extremely rapid, concluding within 24 months, and may result in an exclusion order, which prevents importation of the infringing devices.

Now that almost everything is manufactured outside the US and imported, the ITC has "jurisdictional relevance" (RIP Tom) in more patent infringement cases than ever before, and where the defendant is a domestic entity like Apple.

In a lot of ways, I do think the ITC 337 proceeding may be abused, but somehow I find it distasteful that Apple is doing this.  Apple is far from the only domestic entity whose ox has been gored by this feature of the law, but is the only one whinging about it.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/apple-sued-doj-antitrust-monopoly-biden-rcna144424

The U.S. Department of Justice filed a landmark lawsuit against Apple on Thursday, accusing it of monopolizing the smartphone market.

The civil suit, joined by 17 state and district attorneys general, charges Apple with restricting its smartphone operating system in a way that drives up costs for consumers and prevents developers from successfully releasing products on other smartphone systems.

“Consumers should not have to pay higher prices because companies violate the antitrust laws,” Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a news release.

• Apple prevents the successful deployment of what the DOJ calls "super apps" that would make it easier for consumers to switch between smartphone platforms.
  • Apple blocks the development of cloud-streaming apps that would allow for high-quality video-game play without having to pay for extra hardware.
  • Apple inhibits the development of cross-platform messaging apps so that customers must keep buying iPhones.

I desperately hope they're forced to change, but it's been their MO since I can remember. I never got an iPod because they put it in their own "special" format while everyone else in the world was using mp3s. I know Apple recently promised to allow their devices to interact more nicely with others in messaging, so I wonder if that was a way to preclude the issues raised here.

Edited by KYHorn

3 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

All of those points are bullshit.

If you believe that you are in for a rude awakening. There's a reason Apple has acquiesced to EU first about USB-C and then about their bullshit to limit faster charging to "certified" Apple crap. There's a reason they about faced and changed their mind to allow side loading. There's a reason they were fined almost $2B dollars over music streaming apps. Governments around the world have had enough of their bs. There's a very compelling argument about their anticompetitive business practices. They are going to lose. Expect them to open up more of their wall gardened because of this.

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

About time, Apple has gotten a pass for far too long.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm a member of the Apple fanboy club, and this has been a long time coming. I think anyone that has seen the results in the EU knew this was just a matter of time. I still expect them to draw it out in the US as long as possible. Healthy competition is good for us lowly consumers.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

Yeah, I'm a member of the Apple fanboy club, and this has been a long time coming. I think anyone that has seen the results in the EU knew this was just a matter of time. I still expect them to draw it out in the US as long as possible. Healthy competition is good for us lowly consumers.

It's not just the US. Best case for Apple from the DOJ case, status quo. Compromise case, they have to open up their walled garden: messaging, 3rd party access to NFC, gimping other apps at the benefit of Apple apps and services, etc. Worst case, they get broken up.  Other countries are and will continue to do their own cases. Apple is going to spend the next few years battling in many different countries courts. If they are pissing off this many countries regulators, clearly they are doing something anticompetitive.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/21/technology/apple-doj-lawsuit-antitrust.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare&sgrp=c-cb

The lawsuits reflect a push by the regulators to apply greater scrutiny to the companies’ roles as gatekeepers to commerce and communications. In 2019, under President Donald J. Trump, the agencies opened antitrust inquiries into Google, Meta, Amazon and Apple. The Biden administration has put even more energy behind the effort, appointing critics of the tech giants to lead both the F.T.C. and the antitrust division of the Department of Justice.

In Europe, regulators recently punished Apple for preventing music streaming competitors from communicating with users about promotions and options to upgrade their subscriptions, levying a 1.8 billion-euro fine. App makers have also appealed to the European Commission, the European Union’s executive arm, to investigate claims that Apple is violating a new law requiring it to open iPhones to third-party app stores.

In South Korea and the Netherlands, the company is facing potential fines over the fees it charges app developers to use alternative payment processors. Other countries, including Britain, Australia and Japan, are considering rules that would undercut Apple’s grip on the app economy.

Edited by crash_davis

29 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

It's not just the US. Best case for Apple from the DOJ case, status quo. Compromise case, they have to open up their walled garden: messaging, 3rd party access to NFC, gimping other apps at the benefit of Apple apps and services, etc. Worst case, they get broken up.  Other countries are and will continue to do their own cases. Apple is going to spend the next few years battling in many different countries courts. If they are pissing off this many countries regulators, clearly they are doing something anticompetitive.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/21/technology/apple-doj-lawsuit-antitrust.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare&sgrp=c-cb

The lawsuits reflect a push by the regulators to apply greater scrutiny to the companies’ roles as gatekeepers to commerce and communications. In 2019, under President Donald J. Trump, the agencies opened antitrust inquiries into Google, Meta, Amazon and Apple. The Biden administration has put even more energy behind the effort, appointing critics of the tech giants to lead both the F.T.C. and the antitrust division of the Department of Justice.

In Europe, regulators recently punished Apple for preventing music streaming competitors from communicating with users about promotions and options to upgrade their subscriptions, levying a 1.8 billion-euro fine. App makers have also appealed to the European Commission, the European Union’s executive arm, to investigate claims that Apple is violating a new law requiring it to open iPhones to third-party app stores.

In South Korea and the Netherlands, the company is facing potential fines over the fees it charges app developers to use alternative payment processors. Other countries, including Britain, Australia and Japan, are considering rules that would undercut Apple’s grip on the app economy.

Oh I'm in full agreement with you. Sorry if my allergy infested brain made it come off a different way. Fuck off oak/cedar/mold!

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess people have never heard of WhatsApp, messenger, Skype, WeChat, blah blah blah. Every major messaging platform is on iOS. Sure you use a shitty android chat but who want to use that shit?

And if you want to make a messaging platform, Apple provides FREE developer tools.

I’ve made over 30 apps/games and my revenues are 100000/1 on the App Store vs google play.

Just because other platforms are shitty, it doesn’t mean the best is bad…

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

I guess people have never heard of WhatsApp, messenger, Skype, WeChat, blah blah blah. Every major messaging platform is on iOS. Sure you use a shitty android chat but who want to use that shit?

And if you want to make a messaging platform, Apple provides FREE developer tools.

I’ve made over 30 apps/games and my revenues are 100000/1 on the App Store vs google play.

The issue is SMS messaging, which is specifically NOT any of the data based messaging services you mentioned. On android I could have signal or messenger or WhatsApp or Textra whatever the fuck else handle my texts. On iPhone I can only use iMessage and nothing else - and nobody but iPhone users can use iMessage.

Microsoft got fuckin WAXED in the 90s/00s for waaaay lesser fuckery with Internet Explorer with a very similar legal fact pattern.

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

That's part of DOJs charges that the perception that android chat is bad is deliberate and solely due to Apples manipulation and self imposed limits to make it appear as such. The video quality limit is beyond petty and all Apples doing.

Well I’m glad that .gov is stepping in and potentially saving us all a few shekels a month from the evil fruit empire. I’m sure they’ll get around to doing something about runaway profits in insurance and healthcare industries (and any others with a huge lobbying arm) any day now.

The issue is SMS messaging, which is specifically NOT any of the data based messaging services you mentioned. On android I could have signal or messenger or WhatsApp or Textra whatever the fuck else handle my texts. On iPhone I can only use iMessage and nothing else - and nobody but iPhone users can use iMessage.
Microsoft got fuckin WAXED in the 90s/00s for waaaay lesser fuckery with Internet Explorer with a very similar legal fact pattern.

Great. SMS is a 30 year old standard that is not very good and not secure. Should Apple be forced to support fax or dial up?

As for the store, as a developer to I want to handle payments and chargebacks? Uhhh. No…the services they provide are well worth the money they take. Opening up the ecosystem would lead to disastrous results for the consumer (and legit developers).

20 minutes ago, elfenix said:

apparently china is demanding all 5G devices use RCS

https://www.macrumors.com/2024/02/20/apple-rcs-message-compliance-china-law/

And the thing is - Apple can still use iMessage with RCS. Nothing wrong with that at all. But they're kneecapping every experience that is not from another iMessage user, and ensuring that no solution can be integrated and enforcing a 300KB max data size transfer with anyone outside of the iOS ecosystem. 

That's a pretty clearcut antitrust issue, in my opinion. And seriously, read the previous findings of fact in the Microsoft case from 2002. There's quite a bit that rhymes with what Apple is doing today. 

3 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

Great. SMS is a 30 year old standard that is not very good and not secure. Should Apple be forced to support fax or dial up?

Yeah I agree. Apple should stop slavishly holding onto SMS and adopt RCS like the rest of the  world. They are the ones making it be a problem. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1