2024 Solar Eclipse - never too early to get ready

Wally Fairway

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Thanks.  I’ll try that as we have some extra pairs.  I’ll either have a life long photo memory or be arrested at the Apple Store by this time tomorrow.  Typical Monday for me either way. ;) 

As for camera settings, just take a photo.  The beauty of it is the film is free, and you can adjust accordingly.

Pano mode would be worthless, since the shutter would be open too long.  Portrait mode (simply put) is for taking a photo of a subject and having a blurry background.  Just protect the sensor, point and shoot.

As for the selfie stick or tripod, that's really the best solution if you want a group photo.  You should be able to get a cheap stick at Walgreens or CVS that is bluetooth operated.  

FYI, one of the great things about this is the length of duration.  You can take plenty of shots for that hour or so before totality to practice with.

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

We’ve had about 4 days straight of clouds, rain and snow in Vermont. Today clear skies should be the same for tomorrow. 

IMG_6051.thumb.jpeg.3e7851b4c41c7f8d9a9ac0677a4d6582.jpeg

IMG_6055.thumb.jpeg.2c958e58c692a1307907611afb998d2c.jpeg

I'm currently in Newport VT.  This afternoon it was clear enough I could look across the lake and see what those sneaky Canadians are up to.  Clear skies forecast for tomorrow too.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

As for camera settings, just take a photo.  The beauty of it is the film is free, and you can adjust accordingly.

Pano mode would be worthless, since the shutter would be open too long.  Portrait mode (simply put) is for taking a photo of a subject and having a blurry background.  Just protect the sensor, point and shoot.

As for the selfie stick or tripod, that's really the best solution if you want a group photo.  You should be able to get a cheap stick at Walgreens or CVS that is bluetooth operated.  

FYI, one of the great things about this is the length of duration.  You can take plenty of shots for that hour or so before totality to practice with.

I’m going to tape a filter over mine and do a time lapse.  Or if it’s just clouds I’ll take the filter off and maybe have some cool looking clouds. 

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ve sleep walked through this whole thing. Easiest way to safely view the eclipse with common household items? 

Any common household item is safe for eclipse viewing if you’re brave enough 

-A. Lincoln 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ve sleep walked through this whole thing. Easiest way to safely view the eclipse with common household items? 

What time is it expected in Houston. 

sit under an oak tree and watch the tiny images of the sun under the tree

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I’m going to tape a filter over mine and do a time lapse.  Or if it’s just clouds I’ll take the filter off and maybe have some cool looking clouds. 

I don't think I'd recommend risking it to a single time lapse. I'd stitch several together after the fact in an arc. 

Also, to whoever was asking how to shoot it, the filter from glasses is step one, but you'll almost certainly want to drag the exposure down manually to probably minimum. Play with it, but I highly doubt your phone will understand what it's shooting on it's own.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What time is it expected in Houston. 

It's like seeing Medusa, just watch it in a reflection* and you're okay.

*Not approved by NASA, or Perseus.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not surprised.  Feels like a ton of rain is on the long term forecast all the time, but like Aggy chasing hardware, the dream fades as the date approaches.  

So naturally the long term forecast has been right all along for a once in a lifetime event.  

• Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I’m going to leave the photography to the professionals and just watch the eclipse. I heard someone on tv yesterday say watch your first eclipse, photograph your second one, so if you’ve been through this before then have at it. But the guy said he’s seen people so busy looking at their cameras that they miss the eclipse and then don’t even get a good photo.

I am considering just turning on the video on my phone and pointing it randomly at the crowd to document their reactions while we all watch. Hopefully we’ll get clear skies. The forecast everywhere I look is partly cloudy. It’s clear right now. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Maybe this has been covered, but if you don’t want to stand under a tree, you can make a pinhole camera of sorts. Punch a small hole in a piece of heavy stock paper or cardboard and let the sun project through that onto a sheet of paper and watch the eclipse that way. If you’re in the path of totality, you can look up when the sun is completely covered. Watching just the corona is safe and I’m betting it will be pretty fucking awesome. Just look away again as soon as the sun peaks out. 

I told my oldest this morning to, regardless of the clouds, close your eyes for a few to just listen/feel the change.  There will be a million wonderful pics and videos to look at later, but it’s that feeling of the moment that’ll be your fondest memory.  

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Maybe this has been covered, but if you don’t want to stand under a tree, you can make a pinhole camera of sorts. Punch a small hole in a piece of heavy stock paper or cardboard and let the sun project through that onto a sheet of paper and watch the eclipse that way. If you’re in the path of totality, you can look up when the sun is completely covered. Watching just the corona is safe and I’m betting it will be pretty fucking awesome. Just look away again as soon as the sun peaks out. 

You can use a colander, too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Is this expected to be any different than a fat guy standing up in front of me at a football game? I'm trying to understand all the hype. Saw one decades ago and was very underwhelmed. Anything different this go round?

I thought the one we had in October was pretty cool. Very eerie outside for a solid hour with it being "dusk" in the middle of the day. This one should be a lot more intense than that one. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Is this expected to be any different than a fat guy standing up in front of me at a football game? I'm trying to understand all the hype. Saw one decades ago and was very underwhelmed. Anything different this go round?

I mean, if you are in the path of totality you go from day to night to day in a few minutes, along with the temp change. It’s a little eerie. 

We're shutting down the pharmacy for an hour around the eclipse and taking bets on how many missed calls we get around totality. I'm betting we get at least 2 or 3. Believe it or not there are people in DFW who have no idea a total solar eclipse is happening today 

7 minutes ago, CowboyFred said:

My gf (no pics) works in Dallas and is working from home due to possible traffic clusterfuck

Good call. It will crank up around noon and last all day once the storms roll in. Downtown is getting totally shut down at 1