Belt and Shoes for Suit

BBQ2Bayou

Couldn't find this discussed anywhere. I haven't worn a suit in a year or so and just realized my dress belt got lost somehow and I have a wedding coming up. I ordered this, but didn't realize it was going to be a little more matte than I thought, if that's the right word. Question is, is the sheen too off from the shoes? That's kinda my thinking plus that contrast stitching comes off as a lot less formal to me. I may have just answered my own question typing it out, but still would like thoughts.  Easy enough to get something else, but I kinda like the belt. Damn that's big. Sorry, not sure how to resize. 22770_1.jpg

4606492.jpg 

16 hours ago, 52-80 said:

just take a permanent sharpie to the belt stitching.  done.

I was bout to say, just hit the belt with some Kiwi and it should shine right up as well as blacken the stitching.

Make sure to leave a little black shoe polish under your fingernails to add spice to when you leer at the wives of all the clean sissy dudes.

15 hours ago, Okie State said:

Yeah, obviously. I just think dress pants (not talking tux here) with no belt look ridiculous. To each their own though.

Dress pants or a suit? A belt absolutely kills the visual line of a suit, looks awful. With trousers I usually wear a belt, though I have some with daks. They look better sans belt but it can be a pain to keep them up. Some use braces (suspenders in Americanese), depends on the combo to me. It's definitely a shitload more comfortable though.

Dress pants or a suit? A belt absolutely kills the visual line of a suit, looks awful. With trousers I usually wear a belt, though I have some with daks. They look better sans belt but it can be a pain to keep them up. Some use braces (suspenders in Americanese), depends on the combo to me. It's definitely a shitload more comfortable though.
Both. I just think a nice belt ties everything together. My tailor doesn't design interiors for Astons though so that may have something to do with it.
  • Like 1

Just now, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, G650 said:

Both. I just think a nice belt ties everything together. My tailor doesn't design interiors for Astons though so that may have something to do with it.

Well, like I said with dress pants it's a personal choice really. You've got two different fabric/colors/patterns so there is a natural visual break. With a suit it's one continuous visual, from shoulder to sock.

Douchecanoe

the-world-of-hugo-boss-men.jpg

Stylish fellow

DS_e5d672bc82105890ca33bfa6f0eff76c_0?$P

My man Gandy also goes braces with trousers a lot. I think these are suit trousers and he just doesn't have the jacket on.

david-gandy.jpg?w=640&h=415&crop=1

17 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I agree the three piece suit looks good without the belt. Not sure I could pull off the suspenders look.

Yeah, I'm not one to wear braces without a jacket myself.

In the interests of full disclosure, I'm actually having a linen suit done up as we speak with belt loops. It will be my only one (only two piece as well), and it's only because it's for maximum summer heat. Flat front, no turn ups, 1/4 lined.

5 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

single pleats (fight me).

Double or gtfo.

Edited by G650

59 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Three piece suit should not have a belt, braces instead. It should also allow any of your shirt to show between your pants and your vest. So fail there in the above photo. Belt is fine with a two piece suit.

Sprezz yo. We aren't talking dinner suits here. I couldn't pull it off though.

Belt wrecks a two piece aesthetic just like a three. 

On 11/2/2018 at 8:36 AM, G650 said:

Well, like I said with dress pants it's a personal choice really. You've got two different fabric/colors/patterns so there is a natural visual break. With a suit it's one continuous visual, from shoulder to sock.

Douchecanoe

Stylish fellow

My man Gandy also goes braces with trousers a lot. I think these are suit trousers and he just doesn't have the jacket on.

Hugo boss is quite versatile

d4e713da161e10cdce960ca15e1d94aa.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Well what the hell kind of non sequitur is that then? I didn't make a call on pleats or not, but rather if you are gonna go, go double.

I did just get a two piece linen done up with flat fronts and belt loops, the only one I own. 1/4 lined too, basically a max summer heat suit.

15 hours ago, G650 said:

I did just get a two piece linen done up with flat fronts and belt loops, the only one I own. 1/4 lined too, basically a max summer heat suit.

all the ones ive had are too wrinkly.  esp in the rear at the vents.  im not marthas vineyard enough for that look.  for summer i do linen-cotton blends, or lighter weight cottons

I wear suspenders (actually braces that button into the inside of the pants, not that clip on 5 year old look so many guys do nowadays) with my suits, and as a fat ass, it is the only way to go.  Belts don't work if you have a gut, as you have to wear the pants below the waist unless you want to look like Charlie Weis with the fupa.  Suspenders allow your pants to actually stay up instead of always sliding down and having your shirt come untucked like with a belt.

If I could get back to my college weight I might start wearing belts again, but honestly suspenders are way more comfortable and allow pants to trousers to fit correctly.

I wear a suit to work every day.  I wear a belt with my suit because it looks like you forgot one or you think too damn much about your clothes otherwise.  I wear boots with my suit because I am from Texas.  If I wore dress shoes, though, they'd look like the ones in OP.  Those of you discussing the "line of the suit" and pleats seem like you think a lot about things like hair products and cologne.

For the OP - wear the belt.  No one's going to notice.  It's a fucking belt.  People will notice no belt, or suspenders, or braces, or whatever other nonsense and they will say "oh, he's that guy."  This will not be meant in a positive way.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

all the ones ive had are too wrinkly.  esp in the rear at the vents.  im not marthas vineyard enough for that look.  for summer i do linen-cotton blends, or lighter weight cottons

Yeah, I actually got this for Dubai, even though I am sure I will use it in the ungodly summer humidity here as well. I've got a lot of linen/cotton blend, mostly Caccioppoli,that I really like. They are all done up in my usual 3pc SBPL though.

53 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

you think too damn much about your clothes otherwise. 

No such thing.

53 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Those of you discussing the "line of the suit" and pleats seem like you think a lot about things like hair products and cologne.

For sure.

On 11/2/2018 at 2:36 PM, G650 said:

Douchecanoe

Stylish fellow

You have horrible taste.