American missionary shot full of arrows on remote island

bolverk

you're concerned with them catching a virus and dying from it.  i'm concerned with them not hearing the gospel and dying a second death from it.  Jesus definitively spoke, lived, and died showing which one was more important.  

So when does your boat leave?

Surely you have a bigger religious imperative than proselytizing on a message board?

For gsoda (or others defending him), the question in my mind is why he chose THESE particular people, though. Clearly they haven't heard anything about Jesus (or maybe they have - I haven't read up on previous efforts to contact them) and Chau saw that as a big problem. That much I understand, fair enough. But consider the other factors at hand:

1. They have demonstrated repeatedly and violently that they do not want to be contacted by anyone
  2. No one on Earth outside of their island speaks their language or in fact knows much of anything about it
  3. Regardless of the interminable debate in this thread, there are legitimate concerns about exposing them to outside pathogens
  4. It is illegal for anyone to attempt to contact them
  5. There are only a few dozen of them on the island in the first place

I could probably go on, but you get the idea. Chau could have gone to the streets of Dhaka or Jakarta and in a single morning found 10 times as many people who know nothing of Jesus, desperately need help, and won't kill him immediately. I assume that Chau's worldview included the belief that everyone, everywhere needs to hear about Jesus, but the simple fact is that him rowing a canoe to North Sentinel Island and getting killed immediately on the beach does nothing to accomplish his mission, actively agitates the people he claims to be trying to help, and wastes his life which by all appearances would have been much more useful elsewhere on the Earth. I'm far from a theologian, but I doubt that's what his God had in mind when he commanded him to spread the word. And there's pretty good evidence that Chau knew that was the most likely outcome (see post #287 of this thread - "Don't recover my body").

You seem well versed in the theology here, and I'd like to hear a possible explanation for Chau's motives. But personally, if my goal is for everyone on the planet to hear about my God, I wouldn't start with the group that's highly likely to kill me (or vice versa). Save those guys for last.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

you're concerned with them catching a virus and dying from it.  i'm concerned with them not hearing the gospel and dying a second death from it.  Jesus definitively spoke, lived, and died showing which one was more important.  

So 2/3 of the planet are going to hell because they either haven't heard this gosepel or were born into a family that strongly believed another form of belief.  That is the arrogance and vanity of which I speak. To be so certain that you're right and 2/3 of the planet is so wrong to believe otherwise, and all of them will burn eternally for it.  The psychology of this makes my head hurt.

For gsoda (or others defending him), the question in my mind is why he chose THESE particular people, though. Clearly they haven't heard anything about Jesus (or maybe they have - I haven't read up on previous efforts to contact them) and Chau saw that as a big problem. That much I understand, fair enough. But consider the other factors at hand:
  1. They have demonstrated repeatedly and violently that they do not want to be contacted by anyone
  2. No one on Earth outside of their island speaks their language or in fact knows much of anything about it
  3. Regardless of the interminable debate in this thread, there are legitimate concerns about exposing them to outside pathogens
I could probably go on, but you get the idea. Chau could have gone to the streets of Dhaka or Jakarta and in a single morning found 10 times as many people who know nothing of Jesus, desperately need help, and won't kill him immediately. I assume that Chau's worldview included the belief that everyone, everywhere needs to hear about Jesus, but the simple fact is that him rowing a canoe to North Sentinel Island and getting killed immediately on the beach does nothing to accomplish his mission, actively agitates the people he claims to be trying to help, and wastes his life which by all appearances would have been much more useful elsewhere on the Earth. I'm far from a theologian, but I doubt that's what his God had in mind when he commanded him to spread the word. And there's pretty good evidence that Chau knew that was the most likely outcome (see post #287 of this thread - "Don't recover my body").
You seem well versed in the theology here, and I'd like to hear a possible explanation for Chau's motives. But personally, if my goal is for everyone on the planet to hear about my God, I wouldn't start with the group that's highly likely to kill me (or vice versa). Save those guys for last.
In short, when you're called you're called. Many times when people are called it's against their will. I have friends who didn't want to go. They went. I have friends who wanted to go. Some went, some didn't. In chau's case i think he mentioned no one else wanted to go.
So 2/3 of the planet are going to hell because they either haven't heard this gosepel or were born into a family that strongly believed another form of belief.  That is the arrogance and vanity of which I speak. To be so certain that you're right and 2/3 of the planet is so wrong to believe otherwise, and all of them will burn eternally for it.  The psychology of this makes my head hurt.
I'm not the one making the rules.
  • Fuck You 2

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Wow.

There ARE no adequate precautions against spreading an infectious disease to an isolated population.  And KNOWING that, and doing so anyway, is NOT "negligent."  It's purposeful and reckless.  The facts are these:

1 - in order to personally share the gospel with the Sentinalese, you must

2 - expose them to pathogens that will likely kill some/all of them.

Jesus didn't repeal the decalogue.  "Thou shall not kill" is still good law.  Had he completed his journey, he would have broken that commandment.  But I guess that if you're trying to spread the gospel, you can break all the commandments along the way.  I had no idea that evangelizing granted you complete immunity to all sins committed in the course of that act.  Interesting.  Not true and utter bullshit, but an interesting take.

But what if he used a lot of hand sanitizer?

19 minutes ago, tokamak said:

He wanted publicity and notoriety

The idea of not contacting a group of people because of their lack of immunity is nice but not realistic forever.  In hindsight, perhaps Europeans never should have traveled to North and South America.  Today there would be hundreds of millions of native inhabitants alive that would still have zero immunity to European or Asian diseases.  Contact would have to remain at zero forever.   Raise your hand if you think that scenario would have ever played out.

Ultimately this group will be contacted even moreso now because of the attention they are getting.     

How many people have died from the common cold? How often do natives die due to contact because of disease, when it’s not used as a weapon? If these people were 20 miles from everyone, is it possible germs might have made it there due to wind, water or other animals? What about during that tsunami?

7 hours ago, Loco said:

Narrator: Phd stated his case logically and passionately... but his perceived effeminate voice only drew big gales of stupid laughter.

Dude, when  you get your doctorate, they cut your balls off.  Why do you think they call them "orals?"  Of course I sound like a fag in real life.

21 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

How many people have died from the common cold?

"80,000 Americans died of the flu last winter."

Even in Germany, with a population of 81 million and its superior health care system, there were still 971 flu-induced deaths in that same time frame.

In the Middle Ages, influenza repeatedly decimated the European population by large quantities. It was one of the most common causes of death. It has also killed millions of native inhabitants of colonized areas around the world immediately after the invasion.

Killing a small isolated tribe with a simple sneeze is indeed a real threat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Netzer said:

Even in Germany, with a population of 81 million and its superior health care system, there were still 971 flu-induced deaths in that same time frame.

In the Middle Ages, influenza repeatedly decimated the European population by large quantities. It was one of the most common causes of death. It has also killed millions of native inhabitants of colonized areas around the world immediately after the invasion.

It's okay, though.  Because 1) I don't believe your science and data, and 2) so long as they accept Jesus as their lord and savior a millisecond before they breathe their last, WINNING.

22 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

It stands for "posts hour-long diatribes."

Sorry, next time I'll put in big, color pictures and Teletubby motion videos for you guys who can't get past primary reader length without getting all confused and frustrated.

21 hours ago, immortal13 said:

How did he even plan on communicating with them then? They use an untranslatable language!  How was he to read the 'Gospel' to them and save their poor, wretched souls from eternal damnation if they can't understand what he is saying?

He was taking a football and a pair or scissors.  I mean, what, are you just out from under a rock or something?  EVERYONE knows that football + scissors = Jesus!

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

He wanted publicity and notoriety

Exactly. He wanted the fame of being the one to achieve the impossible. He wanted his name forever associated with these people, so that gsoda and others could reverently reference him forever in the pantheon of other missionary names gsoda has dropped on this thread.

Pride comes before the fall

4 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i don't remember any sentinelese dying from disease other than the first encounter with the british 130 years ago.  and then i looked it up and still couldn't find any deaths.  the threat of disease isn't as big a threat as you would have it be.  it's convenient for people who disagree with this to latch on to that argument though. 

Record keeping was shoddy back then , but in the history of the Belgian conquest of congo, it is claimdd more locals died from exposure and 'imported' disease than from direct brutality of the belgians.  And these were mainland folks, not those sequestered for tens of thousands of years

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Record keeping was shoddy back then , but in the history of the Belgian conquest of congo, it is claimdd more locals died from exposure and 'imported' disease than from direct brutality of the belgians.  And these were mainland folks, not those sequestered for tens of thousands of years

But you skipped over the most important part -- had they accepted the salvation of Jesus Christ?  Because that trumps whether they died in the process.  So long as they were saved, the millions of deaths were worth it.

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

You miss 100% of the arrows you don't shoot

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

No, you're just the one regurgitating the rules made by the men who came before you to justify their conquering genocide of many of the world's populations.  Religion is the disease that destroyed civilizations throughout history.  Your reference to a collection of stories and fables revised and changed over the eons by scared and hateful men does not convince me that you know what's coming better than anyone else.  It just demonstrates your need for strict control and order in a chaotic world, and your total and absolute fear of death.  The blackness will come for you, your fairy tale won't stop it. Your vain and self-congratulatory belief that you have the answer would be laughable if it didn't reflect an attitude that only leads to misery for others.

You know nothing, gsoda.

Damn, that's dark.

It is obvious by the ferver of the beliefs held by gsoda that he is the 2nd generation from conversion to Christianity, at most. They are still under the cool-aid induced altered state and unable to understand the gospels with a more reasoned mind. The drunken euphoria hasn't worn off. Too bad it can have the same body count as dwis.

But that is like, just my opinion, man.

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

No, you're just the one regurgitating the rules made by the men who came before you to justify their conquering genocide of many of the world's populations.  Religion is the disease that destroyed civilizations throughout history.  Your reference to a collection of stories and fables revised and changed over the eons by scared and hateful men does not convince me that you know what's coming better than anyone else.  It just demonstrates your need for strict control and order in a chaotic world, and your total and absolute fear of death.  The blackness will come for you, your fairy tale won't stop it. Your vain and self-congratulatory belief that you have the answer would be laughable if it didn't reflect an attitude that only leads to misery for others.

You know nothing, gsoda.

anyone else read this in a death metal voice?  The last line ruined it though /noygritte

Edited by Loco
  • Like 1

Did I ask about the flu? No, I asked about the common cold.

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

What about the attempted genocide part?

Seriously, I find this fascinating.  There are several posters on here explaining and justifying his evangelism.....and they all COMPLETELY ignore (not "brush past," but literally completely fail to address) the fact that his presence among this isolated tribe may well have killed them all, and he knew or absolutely should have known that.  

Tri pronged approach here. 

First prong:  if they accept Jes us then he will protect them

second prong:  if they accept Jesus and still die, now they get to go to heaven with him.  What a reward!

third prong:  if they don’t accept Jesus, then enjoy hell, heathens. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

5 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

You know nothing, gsoda.

vain glory?  making a name to live on?  utter foolishness which makes no sense.  if being scared of death was the compelling reason why would we put ourselves in the way of death?  deaths to save lives, not death to take lives.  unless we are certain in a way that non-christians cannot and will never experience.

go ahead and bookmark this thread for the next time someone says christians aren't hated.  

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Did I ask about the flu? No, I asked about the common cold.

Doesn't make a difference, since the Sentinelese lack the antibodies against both pathogens.

If you had ever worked at an intensive care unit or in transplantation medicine, you'd know how extremely vulnerable a human body, depleted of its natural defense mechanisms, will be.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

vain glory?  making a name to live on?  utter foolishness which makes no sense.  if being scared of death was the compelling reason why would we put ourselves in the way of death?  deaths to save lives, not death to take lives.  unless we are certain in a way that non-christians cannot and will never experience.

go ahead and bookmark this thread for the next time someone says christians aren't hated.  

I don't have Christians I hate what some of them try to do.

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

There’s a difference between being a good Christian and being a fervent evangelical.  One is not like the other.  And most of the former who hold true to Jesus’ teachings aren’t “hated”.  Pretty sure if Jesus had understood this situation he would not have condoned it.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

Many of us criticizing the position that it’s more important to proselytize than protect human life ARE Christians. Just might wanna add that fact to your bookmark.

There’s a difference between being a good Christian and being a fervent evangelical.  One is not like the other.  And most of the former who hold true to Jesus’ teachings aren’t “hated”.  Pretty sure if Jesus had understood this situation he would not have condoned it.  
The Pharisees wanted Jesus to be a good Jew. Instead, he was a fervent evangelist. So, they killed Him.
  • Fuck You 1

Many of us criticizing the position that it’s more important to proselytize than protect human life ARE Christians. Just might wanna add that fact to your bookmark.
He went out of his way to protect human life while fulfilling the calling to evangelize. Don't fall for the trick of latching on to "but germs". It's spoken not out of concern for sentinelese well being but out of hatred for anything furthering the preaching of the truth.
  • Fuck You 1

It's quite apparent most on here don't have an idea about Jesus's true teachings. What part of go and make disciples of all nations includes the qualifier "as long as they're immunoresistant"? Furthermore, how many times does Jesus emphasize the physical now is more important than the eternal thereafter? The answer to both those questions is never. Yet you have poster after poster claiming Jesus would have acted in a contrary way. Face it- if you have problems with this it's not because of any other reason other than that you reject Jesus.

10 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

No.  He didn't.

• Like 1

He went out of his way to protect human life while fulfilling the calling to evangelize. Don't fall for the trick of latching on to "but germs". It's spoken not out of concern for sentinelese well being but out of hatred for anything furthering the preaching of the truth.

No it is not you asshole. You just want to believe what you want.

It's quite apparent most on here don't have an idea about Jesus's true teachings. What part of go and make disciples of all nations includes the qualifier "as long as they're immunoresistant"?

The part where he said he didn’t come to replace the law (including thou shall not murder) but fulfill it? You don’t get to steal in order to fulfill your mission. You don’t get to kill to fulfill it, either.

Furthermore, how many times does Jesus emphasize the physical now is more important than the eternal thereafter? The answer to both those questions is never.

Every single time he preaches about and cares for earthly need: when he cures the sick, feeds the hungry, etc. Seriously, the NT is full of statements about not harming another person. Here, try this from Romans:

“The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.”

Do no harm to a neighbor. That’s fucking important. In fact, it’s the fulfillment of the law.

Look, man, I’m sorry that you’ve bought into some broken-ass theology. But you already know that. You know that any theology that would excuse harm to others so long as the word is spread is bad theology. You don’t want to admit it, but you know it.

No it is not you asshole. You just want to believe what you want.

And this. Step back. You know what the right answer is. “Jesus, if I go to these people to spread the word, there’s a good chance I will harm them. Should I still go?” We all know the answer. You do too. Stop.
  • Like 3